A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need to get out of MTing. What do you think... - sm

Posted: Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career. 

Everytime I read one of the lists that shows careers - that are strong and not going away (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
There are 2 that are ALWAYS on the list:

Accountant
Nursing

Every single time, these 2 are on the list.

Don't necessarily need to go for a degree. - Find something you

[ In Reply To ..]
like and take classes or get certified. There are so many nonsense classes associated with degrees that are just money-makers for the college. Now even education has become, financially, a poor investment due to the sky-rocketing tuition costs and fees that just about every college is tacking on (construction, parking). Education is the newest bubble.

Suze Orman was on the news today, and taking - out a student loan to go back - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to school when you already don't have any money is one of the things she said wasn't wise. (Especially when you consider how hard it is to get a job in anything if you're a new graduate, and even harder if you're an OLD new graduate.) Buying a house was another one (citing the cost of property taxes, insurance, and upkeep, not to mention that property values are still going down). The third thing she said was NOT to retire before 67, and to hold out until you're 70, if possible.

I'm doing all three of those things, not necessarily because I want to, but because I HAVE to.
Suze Orman - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
Even if I wanted to retire at 62 I couldn't do it. I figured my family will find me slumped over my keyboard at 80 or 90.
Suze - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
What if a person gets laid off at 57 (an MT), can't find a job in their field, needs to go back to school to re-train and needs student loans in order to get a new job so that they can work until they are 67 or 70? My game plan was to work until age 70 but ASR and Epic messed things up. Suze needs to walk a mile in someone's else's shoes before making everything seem so simple.
Re-training does not necessarily require - a degree with a loan
[ In Reply To ..]
Check state employment services, certificate programs at community colleges, womens' centers, even adult/community schools. A lot of the skills MTs have transfer to other jobs. A degree does not guarantee you a job that pays more or equal to what you were making. Even people I know who have environmental degrees are not finding work, and that is supposedly a hot field.

Try making money at something you're good at. I'll be doing some private cooking (got my food server's cert which was cheap) and charge $20/hr. I'm also making old-fashioned putz houses out of cereal boxes and cellophane from envelopes. "Green" Christmas decorations. Be creative!
I'm 60, and I need decent-paying work NOW. - Its just not realistic to think that - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
a 70-year-old newbie at ANYTHING is going to have much luck finding employment in whatever field they spent money they didn't have getting into, because the chances of getting that job, or of ever being able to repay that loan, get slimmer with each passing year.

Also, student loans are not erased, even by bankruptcy, and can ruin your credit.

The fact that it's not so simple was actually touched upon, not only with underwater mortgages, but also with student loans. One man she spoke with owed over $100K in student loans.

The best option for me is to skip the expensive re-education, and keep looking for something in the same field, or something where similar skills are needed.

Careers - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Accounting and nursing are both great careers, but how realistic is that for someone 50-60 years of age? What are the odds of someone that age being hired for a new career fresh out of school?

careers - Viva

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder about that too. 20 years ago I got done with grad school in English, have been teaching college part time ever since, and I stayed in it because I really thought I had a chance at FT work. But the admins figured out that it costs them less to keep hiring PTs. Then I wanted to go into health occupations, but MT has not worked out so far, and now I am in Coding but wondering if that is going to work out at all.
I am 45.5 and do not know if I could handle the physical demands of nursing. I would like to work in the medical profession, but in what aspect? That is the burning question.
A nursing degree can go many, many places, including - behind desks. Anything medical would be
[ In Reply To ..]
a good choice. The population's aging in general and can't afford to retire, meaning not just that attitudes will shift because they have to but also boom days for healthcare and related industries. Many, many opportunities are opening up, new jobs created now and in future. Technicians at medical labs, nurses reviewing medical charts at hospitals, billing office managers in private practices, medical claims examiners in insurance companies, and 100 other positions.

The big reason not to go into medical is that it's not a place to look for the high end of the pay scale. There'll never be enough money to take good care of all the patients, much less enough "extra" money coming in to be extra generous with salaries. Those people wanting more need to head for industries with extravagant profits--entertainment and high-end corporate law practices for instance.

As for whether to retrain at our age, we'll face age discrimination regardless of our field or position in it. We'll have to apply for more jobs before getting an offer and maybe have to accept less-desirable positions. BUT, we're going to have that job anyway for a lot more years than we want, so it only makes sense to qualify ourselves for far better paying and far more interesting ones than we could get without additional training.

nursing degree and pay - Viva
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not looking to make buku bucks, but I can't imagine that a nursing degree or anything similar could be much worse than my frozen hourly rate as a PT prof in college. That, and the face that I am unemployed as soon as each semester ends and have no guarantee of being rehired.
Do you mean "beaucoup"? Buku - is not actually a word.
[ In Reply To ..]
Just sayin'.
Viva, SO many industries need medical expertise. - Entry might be modest, but once
[ In Reply To ..]
a person became an expert at whatever, qualifying for raises, income will repay the investment.
The Desk Jobs in Nursing Usually Come After Years of Specialized Experience - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
VIVA - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you like coding? Someone I know wanted to become an MT and I told her to go into coding and she loves it, doesn't work from home though, now works at a hospital.

I was thinking on going to school for it.
coding, replying to mt2 - Viva
[ In Reply To ..]
I do like coding, better than I liked MT when I studied it, though I was quite good at it and passed the RMT exam last year.

Just don't pay thousands of bucks to taking coding courses. It is not necessary. See if you can find adult ed schools nearby that offer it.
PearsonVue is now the vendor for coding exams; it used to be Prometric, I think.

Bear in mind that coding is a confusing and complicated thing, and it takes months to become a better coding "detective" than you will be at the start.
report to VIVA - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the information. I used to code for the surgeon I used to work for, found the modifiers confusing though.
Training med staff to use EMR systems. - Companies that
[ In Reply To ..]
make the software train med-related people to train others how to use it.

Opinion - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to go into nursing, but at my 55+ years, I worry more about the physical rigorous schedule than finding a job. You're talking possibly 12-hour shifts, on your feet, transferring/lifting patients, bending, reaching, etc. While I'm in reasonably decent shape for my age, don't think I would sign up for that.

Just something for you to think about.
That's why I pointed out the MANY desk jobs - an RN degree qualifies one for. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
People are standing in line for the desk jobs - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Not nurses for those requiring nurses. The point is: being a - knowledge worker, not a keyboard flunkie.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
The administrative (desk jobs) I've seen for nurses are few, far between, and - for the experienced
[ In Reply To ..]
There may be lower-paid nursing jobs that are considered desk jobs, but administrative nursing jobs are few, far between, and reserved for the experienced. Not even the experienced have a really good chance at them.
Have you checked insurance company jobs? How about - civil service? Not all jobs are
[ In Reply To ..]
administrative by along shot, although there are certainly many of those outside clinicial environments too if that's what's wanted. Medical knowledge is in big demand in many industries in many positions.

That's been the biggest reason I haven't thought - about a new career. Im 60 right now -

[ In Reply To ..]
- and taking 1 class per semester (while still working full-time or more), it would take years. Somehow I don't think an employer is going to want a 67-year-old newbie.

I know this isn't true all the time, and that some people do start new careers at age 67. But just can't afford to make any more big mistakes like the one I made when I left an in-house job to work for an MTSO.

That was DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!
Anonymous - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL!!!

How true!!!
The desk ladies at a local MRI center are in their late 60s/early 70s. - Wonder how old their supervisor is. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Also consider the heavy lifting/physical demands of a nursing job - which is why many leave it

[ In Reply To ..]
Lifting patients, doing split shifts, etc., can be hard on a body at any age. Just something else to consider.

New field - HappyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
NURSING. Good pay, always find a job. My daughter is an RN, two year program.

GET OUT - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree with you. I am thinking on going back to school too but don't want to spend the money since I am not making much. My paychecks have been cut in half.

Does anyone now much a greeter makes at Walmart? - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
New profession.

Minimum age - poor

[ In Reply To ..]

careers, nursing, etc. - Viva

[ In Reply To ..]
I also thought about medical assisting or billing, but I hear they only pay about 8 to 10 bucks an hour.
Please. Add enough IT and billing to your skills to run a - physician office, and you will make $30-35K+.
[ In Reply To ..]
Try a little harder, enough to qualify for running the office for a decent-size group practice, and make more like $40-75K. $8 to 10 is for the low-skill person who's hired to do the scut work.
IT, billing, etc. - Viva
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, if that's the case, I use a computer all the time and am comfortable with various sorts of software. Are there more specific aspects of IT I should learn?
Billing would be another course to take, since it is not included in my current coding course.
Billing is easy. They sit you down and 10 minutes later you can do it - no training needed and anyone can do it
[ In Reply To ..]
Billing is a no-brainer. Anyone and everyone can and probably has done it. It takes literally no training.
No, no, no, I meant learn to MANAGE the billing process, - not to pound a keyboard. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
YEOWCH! BEG TO DIFFER!! - Recovering biller
[ In Reply To ..]
Where would I even START to address this?

Nevermind, there's not enough time in the universe to explain why no, NOT just any monkey can be a biller. It takes a highly-trained and very specialized breed of monkey to do it.

I was a biller and billing supervisor for many, many years in oncology, and let me tell you, that is THE most fiendishly-complicated thing I have EVER encountered in my LIFE, such that I seriously considered learning rocket science as a BREAK!
recovering biller - Viva
[ In Reply To ..]
I believe you. Coding is tough but I imagine billing is just as tough.
Thanks, Viva... - Recovering biller
[ In Reply To ..]
I've thought more than once, if I ever decide to get out of MT, I will not go back to billing; I'll clean filthy toilets with my bare hands first, and after what I've been through, learning coding might be the next step....

I find quite the cognitive dissonance in that hospitals (from what I hear) pay coders better than they pay MTs, but nobody why the people who sift those records for every billable erg are paid better than the people who create those records in the first place....

Anything in computers. Dental hygeinist. - anonabon

[ In Reply To ..]
/

ultrasonography - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I had been more aware of this profession, particularly cardiac echocardiography. It's a really useful technology, and a testing modality that is unlikely to become obsolete.

RHIT maybe? - ar

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

What Happened To The Days When MTing Was An
Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on? ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

Home Depot, My Ticket Out Of MTing
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just b ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Every QA That I Have Talked To Says They Are Sicking Of QAing And Wished They Could Go Back To MTing
Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told. Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each? p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided.  ...