A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTing in an RV on the road - AB

Posted: Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working.

Please get in touch if you have any information!

Thanks

I would recommend... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
using Verizon MiFi for your internet. It's not Wi-Fi, it's MiFi. It's kind of new and it is a wireless modem you plug into your laptop and it goes off of the cell phone towers. It is as secure as DSL. My local hospital uses this internet service and now I use it. You can go anywhere with it and it is way better than wireless internet as I have never lost my connection with it.

This is good advice, but the service is not - new by any means, and

[ In Reply To ..]
you can get similar service from several cell-phone carriers, not just Verizon

I also use Verizon to transcribe when I travel - Polly

[ In Reply To ..]
As the above poster said it a secure internet connection. I've had an external modem from Verizon for 3 years and use it when traveling because the Wifi at hotels is not secure. The modem has its own number, just like a cell phone. Mine costs $39.99 a month for basic service, and I have never exceeded that except one time when I downloaded a lot of updates from the net (oy) and it cost me another $15. So I always make sure to download security updates, etc. from home before I leave. As another poster said the concept is not new and I know ATT for sure provides the same kind of service and probably others do as well. I have also heard of tethering the internet connection to your cell phone which would also be secure. Good luck on the RV adventure!

RVing - AB

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to all who posted comments. I am JUST looking into this so this is all news to me. Probably looking to do this with 2011 but no definite date. I just wondered how RELIABLE these connections were while being on the road, but sounds like new technology is coming out all the time. Thanks again.
AB
A question...(sm) - billie
[ In Reply To ..]
How do you concentrate while on the go? Some of my dictators are so bad it takes my utmost concentration to do them. Do y'all have easy accounts or just have had the accounts for so long you could do them in your sleep?
RVing - AB
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been doing this account a
long, long time plus I work nights so I like that it is quiet. Easy dictators - very fortunate!

I have been looking at Verizon, too, but I am not sure about how... - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
they charge. The plans are based on megabytes. Can you give me an idea how many you use on an average month and if that is for full-time transcription?

I appreciate your help.
MEGABYTES RVing - AB
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I would like to know that too.
I transcribe 35-40 hours weekly.

Thanks!
I use Verizon and I am allowed 5 megabytes a month.. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
and as of today I have used 3.57 megabytes. I work 40 hours a week and use eScription (not sure if that matters). If I go over my 5 megabytes, they charge me $10 dollars per megabyte. I have gone over a few times and have only ended up spending an extra 10 dollars.
5 megs - AB
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you! That is so helpful.
I am checking all this out
tomorrow!

Appreciate it very much.
I have the unlimited plan with Verizon - so I never go over or have to pay extra
[ In Reply To ..]
It's only $60 a month. I always have a secure internet connection when I travel, and I have a backup when my cable internet goes out at home. Worth every penny.
VZ - AB
[ In Reply To ..]
I've decided to do Verizon. If I get the prepaid plan, I can buy the device for only 139.00 and I'm going to buy the cheapest plan to try for 30 days and then I will be ready to go when I need as a backup when my cable dies and then ultimately on the road. I agree - will be worth every penny especially when my cable is down. THANKS!

What is the difference between this and - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
a laptop PC card?

Similar Messages:

This May Be The End Of The Road
Aug 04, 2011

Usually, when we get a new CEO, they at least pretend that we are "valued employees."  This guy makes no such pretense, says our quality is the same as India's and that they will be sending more and more to India. I know someone said before the goal was to send the vast majority of work to India by the end of 2011. I'm old and tired, live in the boondocks where there aren't a lot of jobs. Have some feelers out, but nothing so far.  So depressing. ...

New Road Transcription
May 05, 2010

Any info on this company?  A yahoo email address makes me wonder. ...

My Road To Code...
Feb 25, 2011

Hi coders,  I'm an MT with many years of experience and am trying to break into coding and billing.  I am starting with an on line course to get the basics and overview of the process. When I am done with that I will take a class at my community college to refresh and hopefully network.  Does this sound like a good plan to anyone?  Anything to recommend to be supplementing so I will do well on whatever certification tests are necessary when the time comes?  Thanks! ...

Anyone Take Road Trips With Their RV And Take Their Work With Them?
May 02, 2011

Just looking for ideas--maybe Verizon broadband or something similar. In this day and age, this has to be possible somehow. ...

Taking The High Road
Oct 01, 2014

Just gave my 2 weeks without giving a justification.  Upon reciept, I was asked why.  I decided I'd give my why on the high road, but man was it tempting to just let it all fly in a manner be fitting a swarm of angry bees.  Here's my response. In the years I've been with the company, the corporate culture has changed dramatically.  I feel as though M*Modal is no longer a good match for where I am currently nor where I'm going in the future.  I value ...

On The Road Satellite Connection?
May 27, 2015

Does anybody know if there are any companies that let you work from satellite or is that illegal now due to HIPAA? Years ago I looked into this and there was a tiny list of companies but it was dwindling so don't know now. Might be taking off in an RV and was wondering if anybody works that way with a satellite dish attached or some other method? Somebody that works like this wrote to me a long time ago and told me she has some little gadget she plugs into her computer and it provide ...

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Need To Get Out Of MTing. What Do You Think...
Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career.  ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

What Happened To The Days When MTing Was An
Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on? ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

Home Depot, My Ticket Out Of MTing
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just b ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Every QA That I Have Talked To Says They Are Sicking Of QAing And Wished They Could Go Back To MTing
Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told. Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each? p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided.  ...