A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What happened to the days when MTing was an - just passing through

Posted: Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on?

Good ole days - time to leave

[ In Reply To ..]
The MT profession is dying... and cheapened... wonder what would happen if all the Editors for ASR and all the MTs just stopped working for about a week? Or even just 2 days????

I am off to try something new.. not sure what.. but there is much better pay out there than this for 16-hour days and weekends and no paid vacation and, and and.......

i loved this work/job until about a year ago. ):

I did, too, and then I changed companies that I - just passing through

[ In Reply To ..]
work for. I'm thinking that was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. Very little work was better than what I have to endure these days.

Just passing through.... - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
CHANGE AGAIN. And again if you have to. If you are a good MT, there is a company/job/account out there for you somewhere. I have never been one to job hop because I was with a company for 10 years, had good benefits, overtime pay, and 4 weeks PTO. The company was bought by a much larger MTSO and we started losing accounts left and right. Much of what remained was sent to the Philippines. Clients that objected were told to take their business elsewhere!!!! I was laid off.

The next company I worked for was a nightmare!! I was making a net of $800-$900 every 2 weeks. I kept looking while I did it. Now I bring home an average of $1,300 to $1,400 every 2 weeks and I absolutely love my account. It will go to VR shortly I am sure, and I may not be able to stay with it. I will remain here and see what it brings me. If it is a 50% pay cut, I will do it while I am still looking.

If you are very experienced, can ace the tests, and can land a good paying job, why not? Companies are hiring every day - maybe not as much as they used to and it may take longer to find the perfect fit, but you will never know until you try. I have to keep doing this because I am nearing retirement and most firms do not hire when you are pushing 60, but I will not remain with a company/account that wastes my talents and cheats me out of the income I know I am capable of.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Care to share where you work? nm - just passing through
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I've changed companies. It didn't help - Just 2 cents
[ In Reply To ..]
I have changed companies FIVE times in the last two years. None of them have worked out. I have worked for numerous companies throughout my 18 years in transcription. Each time I change, I think I've changed for the better, but start running out of work usually within 4 to 5 months.

I was like you making a net of $800 to $900 and then went to $1250 to $1300 net only to have them go to VR at 3 cpl. I told myself that I was going to make this work come hell or high water and that I was going to become as good a VR editor as an MT. After 6 pay periods of only making $400 to $450 NET, I moved on...and on...and on... and on. I've tried large companies, small companies, getting my own clients. It isn't feasible anymore.

This is my last shot. I just started at a new company that finally pays good line rates for both VR and MT. Unfortunately, after 3 weeks I started running out of work. They keep telling me to hang on because I'm going on a big account that's going to VR in a couple months. In the meantime, now that I'm eligible for benefits after 90 days, I have no work. So I don't qualify for benefits anyway. I have to wait until next year for the next open enrollment now because I don't make quota because I don't have enough work. That's pretty bad when you have 4 accounts and still can't do it. I was told I need to be flexible and work at midnight or 2:00 a.m. if I have to.

I have tried your suggestion and the only thing that I've found is that I'm continually job hopping.
Everybody! Read the last line of BTDT's post! - clunybrown
[ In Reply To ..]
"but I will not remain with a company/account that wastes my talents and cheats me out of the income that I know I am capable of."

Very eloquent post. The above line really struck a chord with me. This is my new mantra. Thanks, BTDT, for posting this.
clunybrown, glad to inspire you - BTDT
[ In Reply To ..]
If there is one thing I have learned is "To Thine Own Self Be True." I was loyal to a company, very dedictated, reliable, 98-100% on audits, and gave them 2000 lines day in and day out. Where did it get me? LAID OFF!

Yes, the next company I worked for had very nice people but I was not going to sacrifice my talents and income for someone to talk nice to me. Now my loyalties lie with me. You have to help yourself and do what is best for you. If you are a good MT and all that that entails, don't cheat yourself just to have "a job." Do the crap that is dished out to you until you find what is perfect for you. Don't give up.
Actually her last sentence said good luck. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Skill and experience do not count for anything anymore. Luck is exactly what is needed because finding these "good" companies is few and far between as there are fewer and fewer good companies existing.
And when you give up, you have wasted yourself. - No message
[ In Reply To ..]
x
It's not a matter of giving up. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in the same situation as the poster below with 5 jobs in 2 years. I didn't give up, I kept moving to different companies. But it has been the same wherever I go in this industry. Other than leaving this field, the prospects of finding a good company have pretty much dried up, especially at my age of almost 60. The original post was about how much this field has changed, not about the problem being pinned on our unwillingness to change companies.
So if you are not giving up you have 2 choices - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
I am also in a golden handcuff situation. It is hard - very hard. So you have 2 choices here. Get out of the business, which I can not seem to do, or take more time in your job selection. Five jobs in 2 years sounds like you may have taken a job just to have a job. Keep the crappy job that you want to leave for a while - waiting for the perfect situation. Don't guess or hope. Again, keep the crappy job. You will know it when the perfect fit comes along. Maybe a smaller company. Maybe you are an expert in cardiology, orthopedics, etc. and not in all specialties or acute care. If so, wait. It will come along. I might add that people of our age frown on 7-8 cpl, but with our experience we can easily turn that into $35,000 or $40,000 a year if it is the right account. You have to keep trying to find these even though it seems they are slowly drying up, the reason being that the smarter, older MTs are certainly looking for them and holding onto them.

At our age, we have to be smart. It is not hard for us to get a job but that is not the point, the point is the RIGHT job. I have spent many sleepless nights worrying over my income and my future. Pushing age 60 is scary because it is so hard to get out of the business (again, I have tried and can't)and you still need a decent income.

When my account dries up to VR, I will remain here. If it turns crappy, I will still remain here maybe for months until I find what is perfect for me. Clean up that resume. Make sure the emphasis is on all the different specialties you have done, and the types of reports in those specialties. Some of the recruiters are so dumb, they do not realize H&Ps, IMEs, Discharge Summaries, etc. are things that newbies can do easily. If you have cardiac lab experience, neurology tests such as EMG, EEG's, or radiology experience, SPELL it out for them. Take days to come up with a new resume by making a list and adding to it.

I have even thought about taking PT jobs or prn jobs if they were what suited me and made good money for me. This is what the business has become and it will probably be a continuous thing until we retire. Make the most of it because the days of us being valued employees for our skills, accuracy, knowledge, speed, and reliability are over. I do not expect to be in my current good money making position until my retirement does come, I just hope I don't have to do the crap too long until I find the next good money making position. In the golden handcuff position, we have no choice. I know it is discouraging, but don't get down on yourself. You are talented and there is still lots of money to be made for someone like you.

Good luck again.
I agree with part of what you said, but not all - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
It's a matter of having the right skills and education, or experience, when you find the right job. Too many MTs never were properly prepared to do medical transcription at the level required these days, so when they find the ideal job, they aren't ready for it. It's a lose/lose situation, because many of those jobs really do exist and can't find MTs who have the skills to do them.

Just Passing Through, it really sounds like the biggest - change is with you.

[ In Reply To ..]
Time to move on to something that suits today's you better, maybe?

Nope, the biggest change is not with me. The biggest - just passing through

[ In Reply To ..]
change is with MTSOs don't care about their transcriptionists any more.

Amen to that! We're a faceless number in a pool of numbers only - hired to meet TAT. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yes, MTing has changed drastically! - Need Advice
[ In Reply To ..]
What about when you are pushing retirement but still need a decent income. I have tried for 2 years to get out of this business but my age and the economy is certainly holding me back. For every job opening around here there are 25 applicants! Don't know what else to do.

There was a time when my knowledge, skills, accuracy, speed, and reliability meant something. Not so much anymore. MTing is all I have ever done, so that reduces my potential job changing. I feel washed up and scared of the future. I can't even afford further education at this point.

Word to the wise, if you are young enough to escape this industry now, do it.
You guys are whoever you always were in this - Anon.
[ In Reply To ..]
respect. Approve of yourselves. Cut yourselves loose from the need for approval and strokes from your companies. Maybe get a puppy? They love you no matter what.

I came from other fields and learned decades ago that a business relationship is a very shallow and undependable one at best. Since then I haven't asked for much more from my employer than work, sensible instructions, and a decent check, that last being the key to my happiness.

But maybe what some of you are really bothered by is uncertainty? It's in the wind blowing across whole continents and land masses these days, shivering employers and employees alike.
Wow, that was kind of rude. Get a puppy??? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I've never asked for approval or strokes. All I've asked for is work...preferably on the schedule they hired me to work, but I'll even flex. BUT JUST GIVE ME SOME WORK.

I don't ask for approval or strokes, I ask that the MTSOs stick with the prehire employee contract we all agreed upon. Don't hire me at full time, base my benefits upon my production, and then hire on 50 more people for the same account that has work for 10. That isn't asking for approval or strokes, it's asking for the terms we all agreed to when I signed the employment agreement. I understand there are times when work is low, but it shouldn't be low every single day for months on end and yet they are still hiring.

You're right, a business relationship is shallow, but why does it have to be undependable? It isn't asking for approval or any kind of ego stroking when expecting that the business relationship go both ways. If they want dependability, they should offer dependability. Plain and simple.
P.S. In fact, when most other business relationships are undependable - they get hauled into court.
[ In Reply To ..]
If I hire a painter or a contractor to do my roof and he is undependable and does not provide what was agreed upon in the contract, I take him to court.

Vice versa, if I contract with a painter and then hire on 10 more, the painter is still going to want the amount of money agreed upon or he's going to take me to court.

If they hire me full time, they should provide full-time work. That's not asking for approval or strokes.

Get a puppy my a$$.
Hmmmm, not one post about expecting strokes, only asking the same as you. - No message
[ In Reply To ..]
x

We used to do it just for fun and - nothing is fun anymore

[ In Reply To ..]
Life has changed.

I think I am going to specialize. See message - Fed Up

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a good pain management and orthopedic background. I think I will look on job sites every day until I see an ad for just that specialty (although I do not mind secondary accounts). That way, I will be transcribing for much fewer docs, and hopefully will be able to make more money with my background, speed, and macros. You can't really do that on acute care for 200 doctors.

I am going to make a list of companies I think I might like to apply for and cross them off as I do. I am going to redo my resume, making the MT part very verbose regarding procedure notes, etc. I will not make a move just because I am offered a job. If I have my doubts, I will not accept it. I will have my wish list and not waiver from it. This could take a year!! But I am doing it. I need to like my job and my income, I don't care how long it takes. Life is too short to have this kind of attitude about work, which I do every day.

Well, that's a plan, Fed Up. Good for you. And stretching - Fellow Traveller

[ In Reply To ..]
it out over as much as a year, it'll be like a little hobby. Maybe you could write a blog about it. I'll be a follower. :)

No, I did it for money then and do it for money now. Still make - decent, so still okay.

[ In Reply To ..]
I have lots of other stuff I do for fun. Maybe volunteering somewhere you find fascinating would add back in what you're missing?

Similar Messages:

Whatever Happened To The Days When You Could Respect Your Team Leads And Your Bosses?
Nov 12, 2010

No one "leads" anymore, they just direct traffic.  I can remember when the "leaders" used to help their employees so they could get a better line count, get through the hard dictators, or just do whatever was in their power to be encouraging.  Now it seems they just use their positions to grab the good jobs that have good dictators or normal dictations like the ops, collect their pay and act like you are a total burden if you need help.   I can assure you it is not encouragin ...

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Need To Get Out Of MTing. What Do You Think...
Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career.  ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

Home Depot, My Ticket Out Of MTing
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just b ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Every QA That I Have Talked To Says They Are Sicking Of QAing And Wished They Could Go Back To MTing
Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told. Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each? p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided.  ...

Has This Happened To You?
Dec 21, 2009

I just wondered...has anyone ever made a mistake on a report (which was your fault and you readily admit you screwed up) and get an email stating:  please explain why you made that mistake because the client is waiting for an explanation??!!!  WTH?  Yes, I purposely made that error because I wanted too?  I enjoy making critical errors?  My error was most likely a keystroke error that I failed to catch..I admit it.  I try to be as careful as possible but I am human. ...

What Happened To Me?
Apr 21, 2010

I started my bartending class yesterday.. first time I have done anything outside the house in 7 years.  I was terrified. I don't think I really realized how isolating and stressful working for the Q at home really was.  I had almost forgotten what it was like to interact with real people, doing something that was real and down to earth. But I had a wonderful time, terrified though I was.  I still feel like I've been totally reborn, and I am so relieved to be out of th ...

Has This Happened To You? What To Do?
May 06, 2010

I just to recently switched to a whole new region, supervisor and QA supervisor with 3 days notice because of ONE particular account I transcribe on. I had been typing the previous accounts for over 5 years. Since the switch two weeks ago,  I have now TEN new accounts that I type for with all new CP's, set-ups and dictators; however, I have noted AT ALL the account for which I had previously typed which was the reason I was transferred in the first place!! Furthermore, there& ...

What Happened?
Jun 21, 2010

DocQScribe froze trying to download next report.  Tried to check Q E-mail while I was waiting and it is "not available."  Am I the last to know something? ...

Has This Ever Happened To You?
Oct 11, 2010

Occasionally when I'm doing an ASR report and insert a QA marker the yellow cursor marker will go away and the cursor goes to the end of the report.  Then I have to scroll back through the report to find my place and if I lift my foot off the foot pedal it happens again.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  It's irritating on a really long report.  TIA. ...

What Has Happened To MT'ing?
Jun 14, 2011

(I am not a "suit." :-) ) I would like to know from some of you what is the going rate now (really) for lines per hour or hourly pay and if there are even steady hours anymore. I just can't believe that this "profession" has gone downhill so much and downhill so quickly in even the last 5 years. I wonder what the next 5 years will look like or if there will even be MTs? If anyone has left the "profession" because they just can't make a living doing this anymore, what are you doing n ...

What Happened To The Job Ad
Jul 03, 2012

that was just on there earlier and now it's gone? I was going to send an email, came back to get the address and the posting is gone. Must have hired someone already? ...

What Do You Think Might Have Happened...
Jan 07, 2013

When I signed on this morning, I pulled down 3 reports.  I did the first one and went back to find just one left.  What happened to the other report?  Please let me know if you know.  Thanks ...

What Happened To JG?
Jan 24, 2013

I am curious to know if you got any responses to your emails.  ...

Anyone Know What Happened
Jan 28, 2013

to DF with MDI? Is she still there somewhere on board with Nuance. Wonder what she thinks about all of this, not that it really matters at this point, just curious... ...

Anyone Know What Happened With
Mar 01, 2013

Transcend law suit? I haven't seen it mentioned recently and wondered if it was still going on or settled. Anyone know? ...

This Ever Happened To Anyone?
May 18, 2013

You are made part time because you can't make full time line counts due to low work volumes, then when you go part time, you are given more accounts? ...

First, What Happened To OSi?? LOL ..
Jul 22, 2013

Used to work there but have been gone awhile and have been gone from these boards just as long.  Did they finally shut down??   My second question .. is there ANYONE out there still hiring radiology transcriptionists or has every radiology job out there been sold out to PowerScribe?  ...