A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How much $ would it take for you to leave MTing? - Job interview today!

Posted: Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut. 

I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.  What if they offered me $30,000?  I am thinking I should take it in that case.  Jobs are not plentiful and I am in my 50s, so if I wanted to get out of MT, this would be my shot.  Would you take it if it were $30,000 or under. 

Many MTs say they want out.  How much would it take?

right now, that sounds great to me - flcmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I've already made $5000 less than last year--and last year's income was horrible--that I think I'd jump at $30,000. At least that way you know what you're making, instead of production and hitting no work so you know that paycheck will be awful.

I would take that as well. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was making $45K or more annually for years until I started with VR. Last year I made $27K. This year it's even less because since most of us at the company have gotten really good at VR, there are more NJA. I refuse to sit at my computer for 15 hours a day just to grab the jobs that come along. Everyone says that we have to be flexible, but c'mon. There's a limit to flexibility. I'm as flexible as the next person, but I'm not a fool. I won't make myself available for double-time hours just to make straight time pay. So ultimately, I make less. I'm moving on though. I would rather work as a cafeteria lady at the school for $26K a year and have holidays, breaks, and summers off. I have a feeling I will be very bored with the job, but it will be a much needed relief from the stress until I can find something else.

pay - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
That works out to about 14.50 an hour. I personally wouldn't be able to take that much of a pay cut. It would just depend on what your situation is. You also have to think about buying clothes/uniforms, lunches, gas, etc. I doubt they'll offer you that much, most front desk jobs around here are $9-11 an hour. Good luck to you whatever you choose.

Your are lucky, our cafeteria lady's only make 7.50 an hour - sm - ECMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and is it 4 hours a day...so about $6K a year, presume no benefits...I'd jump at $26K in a heartbeat.

Having worked at a front desk - in an office

[ In Reply To ..]
you are likely to be paid hourly and probably somewhere between $10 and $12 per hour.

Personally, I would take it. I want out and will take anything that does not fall below the $10.00 an hour mark.

The fact that you are in your 50s and even - MT2long

[ In Reply To ..]
got an interview is amazing to me. I have been looking for another job for months (30 years at this and enough is enough). I have had nothing but pay cuts and will not make $15,000 this year. If I could get a job paying minimum wage I would take it. But I can't even get an interview. I applied for a job last week and when asked my age (against the law I know but when you are asked what year you graduated high school, you know what they are asking), I knew that job was not going to happen. I have tried at Walmart and Target, but nothing. You have to apply online so what else are you being rejected on except for your age?

So, for you to even get a job interview, is a major victory. I wish you much success.

If this country doesn't get over its age-discrimination - habit, in just 10 short years - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
or so, America is going to be overflowing with Boomers who don't have a job, can't afford a place to live, or medical care, and don't have a penny to their name. In 10 years I'll be 70, and not only won't be able to retire, but won't have any retirement savings left, because I'm already blowing through it now, because of all the NJA I keep getting. Then, I guess it'll be up to the government as to what to do with me. (a) Welfare. (b) Incarcerate me. (c) Shoot me.

They're not exactly Golden Years we have to look forward to, are they?

I feel your pain - MT2LONG2

[ In Reply To ..]
I tried to get out of this business a couple of years back but like you no one wanted to hire a 48 year old woman with no experience besides something they did not understand. So, was forced back into my "career" of 19 years, making less than minimum wage on most days at 3 cents a line for voice and 8 cents a line for real transcription, (few and far between). I hate this business but it is all I know.

I wish I was making $30K. (no message) - MT still

[ In Reply To ..]
x

An in 5 more years you will be even older, so - Take it!

[ In Reply To ..]
if you can prove your worth and years of experience in the medical field, you will most likely be able to move up to a higher position in the office. Go for it, or you may be sorry and not have another chance.

Interview went very well. - No pay mentioned

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a doctor's office in a hospital in a specialty where I have significant experience. The doctor is new. There will only be 2 girls. We will all be trained by a sister hospital on their EMR and procedures. The lady who interviewed me is about my age so hopefully discrimination will not be an issue. We talked for over an hour and I think she liked me. This is a small town an hour from any major city so I don't think there will be someone more qualified unless they come from outside the area.

She is still interviewing for the second person. The positions start November 1 and they will let me know by Friday. She did not mention pay, so I did not bring it up either. I guess I will cross that bridge on Friday if I am offered the position, but as the above poster noted, I'm in my 50s and in 5 years I will be older and at an age where other options will not be possible. My present income was listed on my resume for the past 10 years as $40,000 plus. Do you think they would really interview me and offer me $12 an hour knowing that?

The job is only 10 minutes away so not too much gas, and there are uniforms, which is cheaper. Plus I would get to learn the EMR system and scanning documents into it. We also cross-train for other offices/specialties in case there is a staffing problem. People on here say to expect about $12 an hour. I hate that when I am making $24 right now, but it is not going to last and then where will I be? I like the M-F, days, holidays, no weekends or nights, and hopefully a secure position for the future. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Not only fingers crossed for ya, but toes too. Hope you get the job. - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like it will be a great fit for you. Even if it's $12 an hour, think of all the pressure and stress you WON'T be under doing what you're doing now.

if you take a job that anyone off the street can do, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
without too much training, then you may well be replaced down the line with them paying even less to someone else. I say use your talents and training as long as you can. I am 57, so I have many of the same concerns. I was offered 2 post office jobs (small town, and I wasn't even looking for work) and 1 bank job here, and questioned my sanity in not taking those. I don't know how long my arms/carpal stuff is going to last either, but I enjoy my work (usually) and enjoy working at home, so I am hanging in there. Good luck in whatever you decide.

some encouragement for 50+ job seekers - Chloe

[ In Reply To ..]
2-1/2 years ago at age 59 I was offered two clerical positions with our county government after having been tested and placed on a list for that particular job designation (clerical assistant). Long story short I didn't take either and now wish I had. My point is that age doesn't always factor in. In both cases, the interview panels consisted of people in their 40s and 50s. I think another factor was the fact that I had already tested, they had the results, and they more or less knew what they would be getting. I would encourage anyone out there to check out employment with your city, county, and state governments.

OP: I've seen my MT salary slashed by 50% in the last 3 years and am now making about $19,000 year. If I were in your position, I would take that job based on the fact that MT, unfortunately, is doomed and also based on the fact that you'll be developing new skills and can use those to keep moving up. I wish you the best.

Also, you may come in contact with another physician who will ask you - Good Luck!

[ In Reply To ..]
to do some of his transcription at home. So you will be in a perfect position to pick up some extra transcribing at home.

Agree with the $10-$12 an hour assessment above - sm - ECMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would jump at a Dr. office position, as long at it was $20K a year. You get benefits, paid vacation, taxes out and best of all regular hours. I have been trying for years to get my foot in at our local court house, and/or neighboring counties, very hard to do. I will keep on trying, I would probably keep doing MT but just very PT is all , one or two small accounts that I can do at night that don't take up a ton of time but give me $5-8K extra a year (gas and clothes money). Good luck, and don't over-price or undersell yourself.

Yeah - I gotta get out of this business before it's too late. - Not getting any younger.

[ In Reply To ..]
I spend an hour or so each week looking and just waiting for the perfect position to come along. I have applied for a few but I do believe that age is definitely a factor more than 50% of the time. I am getting too old to keep job-hopping and watching my income go down, down, down. I don't want to work nights and weekends, or holidays. I'm not getting any younger either and I need something stable and future security.

MTing has been good to me. I have made $36,000 to $40,000 for the last 10 years. It has been great working at home and having extra money for many things we have wanted and needed, but the nest is empty now. DH started getting SS at $1,500 a month, plus still working part time. I think with that, I can afford to look for something a little more secure since I will not get SS for another 9 years. When I do retire and draw SS, I think I would like to do MT part time but until then, I need $2,000 a month and BENEFITS! When I find something I will take it, even for less money, and try to come back to this later, if it is still here.

When my accounts went to ASR I went from - $45k to $28k. Better

[ In Reply To ..]
get out with whatever they offer.

None - it would take.... - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
A new president, a new congress, new senate, new everything politicians. This current group does not give me confidence that if I was to go get a job they would not take it away and send it overseas like they are doing all others.

Also not the lottery either because the current crowd would find a way to take that too. After all I need to spread my money around to everyone else.

$30K is a good amount to make as an MT. If it was me I would take it, especially if you are very uncertain where your current job is going now.

Definately I would take it - tiredoftyping

[ In Reply To ..]
That is a lot more than I am making at my current MT job. I would be so relieved to find something like that. I spend more time waiting on work, the only good thing is that since I am going back to school, it gives me time to get my homework done.

Re: How much $ would it take... - earlymusicus

[ In Reply To ..]
Regarding the question of what to say if they ask how much money you're looking for, I wondered this same thing. I asked a friend of mine and she said to say that it's negotiable. That puts the ball in the employer's court and you can then take it from there. Don't know if that will help you. I've always been uncomfortable with that question. Naturally, I'd love to say, "Oh, I think $100,000 to start with would be fine!" LOL!!

Best of luck with the interview - hope you get the job!

Jon interview - Nvrhappytypin

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked front desk, worked as MT at the job site, worked as medical assistant and the most I evr received was $15/hr; however, depends on the location as I have been contacted by a Boston Hospital to transcribe at $26/hr, just do not want a 60 mile a day commute. Good luck.

Similar Messages:

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Need To Get Out Of MTing. What Do You Think...
Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career.  ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

What Happened To The Days When MTing Was An
Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on? ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

Home Depot, My Ticket Out Of MTing
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just b ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Every QA That I Have Talked To Says They Are Sicking Of QAing And Wished They Could Go Back To MTing
Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told. Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each? p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided.  ...

Why Would I Want To Leave MQ
Mar 21, 2010

In case any of the higher ups read this--here is the reason why I (and so many others like me) are leaving (I really think they don't see the big picture: 1.  Been with the company over 10 years, working more hours and making much less than the first day I joined the company.  No raise in over 8 years and 2 pay cuts. When you work at a job, you are supposed to make more money not less--we are going in the WRONG direction. 2.  No federal income tax taken out of my pay this y ...

Want To Leave MT
Oct 22, 2010

Hello, I am seriously considering leaving the field.  I have worked too hard all my life to subject myself to one more drop in pay.  Sometimes, we just have to make a stand and I think my time has come!  Luckily, my husband has a good job and I can afford to take some time off to take a class or two or start over in another field.  My question is what direction to go?  What field would make for the smoothest transition?  My friend who is also thinking of ...

When To Leave Your Job??
Dec 10, 2010

I like my job and the people I work for, but I just cannot seem to make enough money. I have worked for 2+ years as an MT and get 8 cents a line. My accounts frequently have new difficult ESL docs, so there is a major learning curve practically every day which of course brings down my line counts. The company I work for is regularly bashed on the boards here, but since pretty much every major MTSO is as well, I'm wondering if it's any better anywhere else. What have been other peo ...

Did Everyone Leave Their Job Sm
May 05, 2011

I am wondering if anyone quit the company they worked for, took time off and found another transcription job after a hiatus.  I am thinking about quitting the company I work for because there is no work.  I know the account managers have favorites and can control who they give the work to.  I heard this from an inside source.  Anyway I am finding it too depressing to sit here for very little work. If I quit do you think it will be any harder to find work in maybe a month. I a ...

Trying To Leave MT. Sm
Jun 19, 2014

Help with two underlined sentences below. Purpose and Scope:  The incumbent is responsible for data entry, record assembly/analysis for all in-patient and out-patient records deficiencies in Hospital system.  Notifications to physicians of the need for record completion. He/she may provide back up for the Record Completion Section and transcription process function.  I.          Position Requirements:      &n ...

Leave Of Absence
Jan 29, 2010

I'm at my wits end and so stressed out with all this NJA crud, struggling to pay bills, never knowing how much money I'll make from check to check, and wondering how long I'll even have a job.  I've decided to take a personal LOA to try to pull it together and destress.  I sent my CCM an email about doing it and why a couple of weeks ago. I've already put in for it at Hartford and they too sent CCM an email about it.  However, CCM has never gotten back to me yet a ...

Will EHR Leave MTs Jobless?
Mar 03, 2010

I just had a chance to see the NextGen EHR demo videos.  The incentives for using EHR from the insurances companies are huge.  It amounts to $3,000 per doctor per month. The doctor won't be able to fiddle with the computer to create EHR.  Even with the current dictation types, the doctor would make some sort of a note or something to remember the main paints to dictate.  This note is sufficient for the assistants to create EHRs.  Probably an assistant will be able ...

Wake Up: They Want You To Leave. Don't You Get It?
Jul 30, 2010

Why is it that MQ is still advertising on mtjobs that they have openings, yet the MTs already working for MQ have NO work?  Also, a friend of mine applied for clinic transcription there recently, and they put her through 2 interviews, only to tell her that they had no clinic openings.  I have heard that they are transitioning accounts to India as fast as they can (probably trying to catch up to that requirement that 80% of the work has to go to CBay/India).  So why are they still ...

When Is It Time To Leave
Sep 16, 2010

I work for a company whom I don't know anymore.  Like most I'm sure.  it was a good company at one time, but now I'm waiting for pay from July, August, and of course up to now in Sept.  I have had two pay cuts in the last six months.  People say go do something else.  I have been an MT for over 25 years and am now in my fifties. Not so easy to attempt to find something else in this economy and being single w/o another pay check coming in does not help.&nbs ...

Maternity Leave?
Feb 16, 2011

It's pretty bad that I get a response on here faster than I would if I talked to my supervisor or human resources!  Anyways, I am only about 4 months pregnant but I can't help but wonder what kind of benefits there might be.  I mean they can't really think that I can sit upright and type right after I have the baby.  I don't think I would have enough PTO to cover it.  It looks like this time they are thinking C-section so the whole sitting up for hours wil ...

Leave. Give It Up.
Jun 01, 2011

After working for more than 30 years as a medical transcriptionist, having gone through so many changes in the field, I left it all behind a year ago.  I worked the last ten years at home, the last few I was with MDI/Transcend.  MDI was a great company, but it all fell apart when Transcend took over.  Hope DF is sleeping well on her $16 million, I know many transcriptionists are not.  I saw my pay dwindle down to almost nothing and my TL cherry-picking, which really cut my in ...

Why Do A Lot Of MTs Leave The Punctuation Off?
Jul 02, 2011

I've noticed at most mtso's throughout the years - no periods on the end of sentences such as: HISTORY:   Headache   COMPARISON:  None  POSTSURGICAL DIAGNOSIS:  Same Is there a specific reason for this?  It's...well...certainly doesn't make us look good, that's for sure.    ...

Anyone Leave WMX And Then Go Back?
Aug 23, 2011

Were you able to get back on same accounts, keep rate of pay?  I don't suppose they would let you reinstate and keep your original date of hire for PTO accumulation purposes? ...

How Do You Get Your Family To Leave You Alone?
Mar 23, 2012

It's hard enough to get my lines in.  I tell my family I'm on the clock, I have to work, but they just don't pay any attention.  If they are here, they walk right in, sit down and start talking, even though they can see my fingers poised over the keyboard and my headphones on.  If they are not here, they call, and then they have to repeat everything three times.  I know I could clock out but I can't just abandon a job I'm in the middle of so even if I ...