A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT interested in becoming biller/coder - Alice

Posted: Oct 06, 2010

Cool  Can anyone tell me if there is an online course, school, how long it takes, or what I need to do to find out how much it costs etc, to train in medical billing or coding. I have been an MT for 20 years and need to find a new and/or additional career. Thank you so much for your help. 

mt to biller/coder - Viva

[ In Reply To ..]
There are online schools for coding; they are costly but include all you need and you can work at your own pace.

There may also be adult ed schools in your area that offer coding classes.

Since you already know Med Terms and Anat./Phys, that will give you a leg up. Coding is very much like solving a puzzle and doing investigations. It is not as physically stressful as sitting and typing for hours as you do in MT.
I just started coding class in September and I am enjoying it. Just take time to absorb all the material and do the exercises in the workbook. We are using the textbooks from Ingenix and they are quite good.

about that physically stressful - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't find sitting and typing physically stressful but I can tell you that coding can be mentally stressful. The pressure on coders is pretty intense as coding drives billing and, of course, the govt has its hand in everything. Medicare edits, CCI edits, can and often do drive you nuts. Since private insurers follow Medicare's lead, you get edits all over the place! Then add the watchdog now of the RAC reviews. Couple that with the mostly poor documentation from the providers and the pressure to complete X number of charts per hour, and I find coding far more stressful than I ever did found MT, Just a different kind of stress.

Similar Messages:

Laboratory Tech Vs Coder/biller Health Info
Dec 31, 2009

I feel MT is dying a slow death.  I want to be prepared.  Lab technicians work in an independent setting and get to analyze, dissect, research (love it!) and there are many employment opportunities, but the math scares me.  Medical billing/coding and health information data entry would be logical after MT'ing for 15 years, but i'm worried about the outsourcing and the prospect doesn't excite me as much as the lab tech.  I'm afraid i'd be stuck in ...

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

Not Doing VR Yet, But Interested
Oct 19, 2009

I wonder which systems are the best to work on.  I know the pay is lower, but I think after 20 years, I would love to save some wrist power....  ...

Interested In Coding HIM
Jul 26, 2012

I have been working as a transcriptionist from my home for almost 20 yrs.  As most, I am losing my account due to EMR.  I am considering pursuing other avenues such as coding or HIM.  Is this a good idea.  How is the job market for this.  I am also a Certified Medical Assistant but have not worked in an office in over 20 yrs.  Any ideas??? ...

Not With Mmodal, But Interested...
Oct 15, 2012

would anyone care to give a synopsis of "the call"?  I am interested in the content and the rhetoric you guys were treated to.  What's this I hear about the "spot" award. Thanks in advance for anyone who could fill me in a little bit. ...

Just In Case Anyone Is Interested...
Sep 12, 2013

Very interesting article!   ...

Interested In Coding?
Oct 12, 2013

If you think you might be interested in coding or just want to get an idea of what it is and how it works, try the PDF at the link below.  It is quite good!  (It is free.) www.facs.org/ahp/codingmanual.pdf       ...

Interested In Applying At Keystrokes
Jun 09, 2010

Hi there, I'm interested in applying at Keystrokes.  Does anyone know what the current f/t requirement is?  I see they are hiring only FT right now.  Is this according to line count or a set schedule.  Thanks for any info!     ...

Interested In Possibly Going Into Coding
May 24, 2011

I am doing some research on medical coding. I have looked at Andrews Coding School and Career Step. Both seem to be close but Career Step states it takes much less time to finish, which I am guessing is to get you in to their school and not reality but that is only a guess. The cost is also a huge difference. Has anyone here gone through either school and would you recomend one over the other? Any advice is appreciated. ...

For Anyone Interested In Nuance TAA Petition
Sep 24, 2013

The petition was submitted early this year. This is the denial of TAA benefits and the reasons for denial.  If you feel the situation has changed it can be appealed by any employee, soon to be ex-employee or former employee per DOL. “The investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on March 7, 2013 by a state workforce official on behalf of workers of Nuance Transcription Services, a subsidiary of Nuance Communications, Inc., Burlington, Massachusetts (subjec ...

Anyone Interested In IMedX Staffing?
Mar 13, 2014

Anyone you know?   ...

Was Called This A.m. From Recruiting Asking If I Am Interested In Working For M.Q. I Think I Had Ap
Nov 04, 2009

How is the VR pay, flexibility for part time. ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

Found This Keystrokes Review If Interested
Oct 10, 2012

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Keystrokes-Reviews-E157011.htm ...

Am Interested In Clear Choice Transcription
Mar 28, 2013

Am interested in Clear Choice.  Would like to hear pros and cons of working for them.  Also, because they pay per minute of dictation, how does it compare with cpl rate.  Is it a fair way to pay.  Lots of ESLs?????  Thanks for your time. ...

I Would Be Interested In Knowing How Many Part-time
Apr 04, 2013

employees did NOT lose their jobs today. ...

List Of Transcription Companies For Those Who Are Interested
Mar 09, 2014

http://freelancetranscriptionistroad.com/list-of-transcription-companies/ I hope the above can help anyone find other employment. These goliath companies are no place for anyone. ...

Interested Parties See Mercedes Answers Below.
May 14, 2015

No, I am not a "suit." ...

Staying In Health Care And Am Especially Interested In Home Healthcare
Jul 06, 2012

I am looking into what field of study to take up. I am thinking about staying in Health Care and am especially interested in home health care. I was wondering if anyone knows personally if there are demands for: Physical Therapist assistant - with Associated degree Occupational assistant- with Associates degree Has anyone heard of Speech/language pathologist assistant? I think this will require too much schooling but I have heard there is a big demand in health care and schools. I al ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Advice On Getting First Job From A Coder
Jul 12, 2010

The following is a post I found on the AAPC web site. I asked the poster first if it was okay to re-post here and he said okay.  Quote begins as follows: My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a car ...

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

EMR Vs Medical Coder
May 25, 2011

I hope this is not a dumb question, but do need some enlightening.  I was at my doctor's office this morning and in the midst of the exam we got to talking about my goal to take the medical coding schooling (through Andrews). She was concerned that with the EMR process today, medical coders would not be as involved with actual coding as they have been in the past and therefore the job market not as promising. My doctor's clinic has the computer screen in the office and she sh ...

Glad I'm Not A Coder
Sep 12, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560742746021106.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird ...