A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Home Depot, my ticket out of MTing - JW

Posted: Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just be my ticket out of this MT rut. The pay is $8.80 to start and certainly better than below minimum wage which is what I was making from the company I was with for three years. The only way I will MT again is if I get a job back that I had for .12 cpl. This was an overflow job and if they need help again, I will consider it. It was very easy quick money.

bonne chance - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
You will probably lose some weight, too, being on your feet. Leaving the job there at the end of the day, getting out of the house, all good.

Let us know how you like it.

I think I'm jealous! I love home - mthead

[ In Reply To ..]
improvement stores and hardware stores. And you get to get out of the house and make money. Congratulations and good luck!

Home Depot - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Hope I get a discount on things there too. My next choice is our Natural Grocery store so I can get a discount on my supplements. I like this idea. I believe anyone who wants out of MT whether temporary or permanent should give this a try.

Wow, what a coincidence! - Coco

[ In Reply To ..]
This is coincidental, to me....I left MT'ing about two months ago, and I've been contemplating the next job phase in my life. Lowe's and Natural Grocers or Trader Joe's are two of the places high up on my "maybe" list!

Could you tell me what kind of days/shifts you think you'll be working--if you know yet, that is.

I've been hesitant to pursue retail because I don't want to be stuck on working every single weekend again (or too many evening shifts), and I'm worried that that's what retail usually entails. I'm trying to get away from that kind of schedule (at least not ALL the time) since my hubby works days/weekdays, and I actually like to spend time with him....imagine that! :-)

Good for you, and good luck!
Coco Good Luck!!! - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
I may have to do some evenings but I've been unemployed for so long I really need to get back to work so will put up with it. I'm glad to have a chance to do customer service and cashiering to give me another career. MTing has gone on for too long and I worry since I have done nothing else, that's all I will ever get. Probably have to do some weekends too but it's part time up to 30 hours a week. I'm going to bug the manager at Natural Grocers because the evening hours are earlier than HD's and I can get a discount on food and supplements.
JW - - Coco
[ In Reply To ..]
JW: I can "hear" how happy you are, even through your posts! :-)

If you would, I'd love to know how it's going for you in a couple weeks, particularly what the scheduling is like. That's been my biggest hangup with some jobs--worrying that I'll get stuck in some crazy schedule--and I'm always curious what the reality ends up being like for those employees.

A discount on food and supplements would definitely be like added income. I love the Natural Grocers here...not so huge that it's overwhelming to shop--it's just the right size.

I hope you have a great experience at HD and that it will lead to something permanent after your seasonal period. Keep us posted!
Coco and HD - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
I will defintely try to let you know about the scheduling. They do an orientation first and I should get into that probably next week. I live in a small city in western Colorado and there aren't many places to work other than cashiering and customer service. There are quite a few doctors but everything as really slowed down here. I had a chance at our local hospital before the first of the year to transcribe but it just dissolved into thin air. Still working on it though if things were to pick up. The pay was very good and also benefits for part time. I had an overflow MTing job for about a month and a half here with an ortho group that paid .12 cpl but that dissolved also and I really liked it. There are a few doctors here that do not use companies for their transcription including the hospital.

Natural Grocers is a focus for me and will work on that one too. I do know that they do like you to be available to work some evenings at HD which is 10 pm and also Natural Grocers could be 9 pm. I told them I do my best work in mornings and afternoons but they said there might be a few times I would have to work the evenings. Know that feeling of not wanting to do those kinds of hours but I don't have much choice here. I need to work doing something and keep looking for something that fits me a little better. Good Luck!!! I'll try to keep in touch here.

Congrats on taking the big step, JW. - Hope you love it. :) NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thanks NM - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks NM. If the right MT job came along, I would jump at it. I still like it but don't want the low paying jobs and long hours. I think I will like it. It's probably going to be in the garden department which I love being outdoors this time of year.

Similar Messages:

Home Depot No More!!!
Apr 25, 2012

I found a posting board that listed employees complaints about HD. I'm not going there to work. I don't want to get involved in it. It's very very murky there. I've had enough of that kind of thing with the last MT company I worked for. I wish there was a board to post for each MT company. I would have some things like that to say too. I ain't goin there. There are over 1000 complaints from employees and Lowes isn't any better. Go figure. Still unemployed. ...

After 6 Mins I'm Putting In A Remedy Ticket & I Hope We Get A Master Ticket #...
May 18, 2015

x ...

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Need To Get Out Of MTing. What Do You Think...
Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career.  ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

What Happened To The Days When MTing Was An
Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on? ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Depo Lupron? Or Lupron Depot
Oct 14, 2009

not sure which is correct ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Every QA That I Have Talked To Says They Are Sicking Of QAing And Wished They Could Go Back To MTing
Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told. Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each? p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided.  ...

Ticket #
Jul 29, 2010

How long does it usually take to get a ticket # for NJA?  I sent e-mail about this yesterday morning and still have received no ticket #. ...

F11 Ticket
Jun 13, 2011

I submitted my first ticket for an F11 and got a call  back within the MINUTE!  Qcare person said they had NO IDEA what it was for, what F11 was or what they were suppose to do with the incident report, put me on hold to ask someone else about it then suggested I call someone for technical support if it was an ASR issue. I read and re-read the emailing and followed the instructions to the "T".  This is just laughable, and yet I hope I don't get my head chopped off for the F11 ...

Ticket
Jan 19, 2013

I just spent about 1/2 hour with an Indian tech guy for him to clear DQS so I could sign in again.  He gave me a ticket number.  What do I do with that?  Usually whenever things like this  happen, my CCM takes care of it, we just notify her, but she is off for a week.  Do I report this incident in Remedy with the ticket number?  This is horrible, I could hardly understand or hear this guy.  Thanks for any help you can give me. ...

NJA Ticket Number
Dec 02, 2009

Is anyone else having a problem with support getting a ticket number when out of work?  Four days running I have requested a ticket and its like pulling teeth to get one--didn't used to be like that.  Any thoughts. ...

Can I Get A Ticket Number
Aug 03, 2010

I put in a PTO request a month ago for a single day this week and have yet to hear from my CCM.  I've e-mailed her a total of 3 times about this, but have not yet heard anything either in e-mail or on Schedule Source.  Maybe the technical staff could get hold of her, or maybe I'd get fired for using the new ticket system inappropriately? ...

I Sent My Ticket In So I Will Be Covered For DT Or Whatever.
Oct 07, 2010

Master Ticket From The Other Day
Jan 11, 2013

Did anyone every get the master ticket number from when it went down the other day?  My CCM said she would let us know when she got one but so far I haven't heard anything. ...

No Work Ticket
Sep 02, 2013

where do I place a no-work ticket? ...

Ca't Get In To Get A Ticket Number
Sep 04, 2013

Mine is still down and I can't even get in to get a ticket number. ...

How Do You Open A Ticket For NJA If MQ Mail Is Down
Jul 01, 2010

Does anyone know? MQ mail still not working for me so how do I send email to support and CCM to open ticket? ...

What The Heck Are All These Ticket E-mails About?
Aug 10, 2010

You have to do the QCare thing when you get NJA.  Then, they send you a ticket number.  Great.  What do you do with the stupid ticket number?  Are you entered in a drawing?  Do they pick random ticket numbers and award the winner some work? Then, days later, you get another e-mail saying it is resolved? What the heck is that about?  Who resolved what?  Did the QCare staff magically send me work?  Do they get some award off of my ticket number for the fast ...