A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I was so wrong - JoeUser

Posted: Aug 12, 2011

Months ago when I first started researching this line of work I found myself on this forum, and a few others, and I was somewhat put off by the widely negative view of the profession. There was so much complaining about how difficult it was, how meager the compensation is, etc. I thought so many of you were just being pessimistic- to put it politely. I thought to myself, "It's just sitting here typing all day. I do that already! How cool would it be to get payed for it!"

And today? Today I feast upon humble pie.

The sheer volume of information one has to absorb to become proficient at this is just staggering. Not only does one have to internalize the specialized and often arcane language of a dozen or more medical specialties. Not only is one then required to learn to abbreviate, punctuate, and properly communicate this jargon with skill that is required to surpass the skill with which the dictator communicates. Not only all of that, but you are expected to be able to display these qualities while working with mumbled, halting, broken, often flatly unintelligible material that is dictated at a speed that would make the micro-machines guy stand up and salute.

Im still in school (Andrews), so I don't have a line count to worry about, and can therefore take my time, but it's still frustrating. If I could say one thing to the M.D.s of the world I would say this, "If you were standing in front of me, speaking this way, expecting me to type as you speak, I would hurt you."

My illusions stemmed from the amount of money people report making with this. What I mean is, how hard can any job be that often times pays less than flippin burgers at McDonalds? As it turns out, such a job can be quite daunting indeed. I was wrong. I was so wrong. I assumed I'd take a six month course in format, some medical grammar, and style. No. This is not the case. I am being asked to become a living lexicon of two thousand years worth of medical terminology, and that's the easy part.

To those of you who do this work to support yourselves and/or your families, my hat's off to you. Complain of low wages. Bash VR technology. Deride those who say this is any kind of easy. You've bloody well earned it.

thank you - been abused

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for being the only person in 15 years to compliment me.

I had a doctor say to me today on the recording - "Thank you for your skills." sm

[ In Reply To ..]
blew me away and really made my weekend! He wasn't saying it to "me" personally, but I took it as he was thanking ALL OF US for our skills. We are all worth something and I glad even if just one doctor acknowledges what WE do.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Appreciated - JWL

[ In Reply To ..]
What a thoughtful and kind post. I do have to say that I am lucky to have four local doctors, three different offices, who are always saying "thank you" and are very good to me. I know there is a very real chance I will lose them some day to VR, but for now I will continue to appreciate them and continue educating myself on our ever-changing industry (hopefully by doing this I won̢۪t lose them!).

These doctors also work at the hospital I used to work for, before we were outsourced. They constantly tell me how much they miss us and how the quality has never been the same. We were outsourced to a company that is India and U.S. based, so the doctors really do notice the difference.

I was so wrong - Nannette

[ In Reply To ..]
You definitely said it right. I've been a medical transcriptionist for 30 plus years. Back in the 80's and 90's there was decent money in transcription, if you were proficient and knowledgeable. My salary has decreased by about 50% in the last ten years, plus it is hard to find decent medical insurance or other benefits. It is a crying shame.

hang in there - lg

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your wonderful post. I'm a newbie and finishing my 3rd week as an independent contractor, so all of your concerns are still fresh in my mind as well.

I find it highly disturbing that workers who record your medical history and teachers tasked with educating our future leaders are compensated so horribly while financial gurus who create nonsensical and overly complicated financial products (i.e. too confusing to be regulated properly) are the idols of today. At least I can sleep at night.

If you hear cheering and clapping in the distance... - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
That was me! Gave you a standing ovation, too, which you couldn't see, but dang! Now if the clients and MTSOs just saw it that way...

Great! - Adelle

[ In Reply To ..]
A very accurate description of what MT involves! Thank you and best of luck!

Thank you for this! nm - SoTired

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

thank you -- thank you - wimt

[ In Reply To ..]
People who are not in this field think that our job is easy. We get to stay at home and type. How hard can that be...right? We try to tell people it's not that straight forward easy; there's a lot more to this profession. I printed out your posting to show to my husband because he too, I believe, does not appreciate or understand the work that I do. So again, thank you.

Well said - Share this - Donna H.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your insight. This should be shared with as many individuals, transcription services, employers, professional organizations, and anybody else that you can think of to forward it to. I have been an MT for almost 40 years and you have just said it all. Come on...lets forward this guys. This is a voice that truly needs to be heard. THANK YOU!

Very well said - Let's share this - Donna H

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your insight. This should be shared with as many individuals, transcription services, employers, professional organizations, and anybody else that you can think of to forward it to. I have been an MT for almost 40 years and you have just said it all. Come on...lets forward this guys. This is a voice that truly needs to be heard. THANK YOU!

FANTASTIC! - Tracie

[ In Reply To ..]
This whole MT job hunt situation has had me bummed out beyond any stretch of the imagination, but this post brightened my day. Thank you! I especially loved the part about the way the physicians speak. My hat is off to anyone who can understand some of this garbage too because if you can understand anything like the test I took yesterday you deserve about five times the wages you're getting, a medal, a crown, and your own castle on a hilltop!

Similar Messages:

What's Wrong With Me??
May 12, 2010

I just got offered a new job with a local transcription company. I'll be making more money, no set hours, get the work done when I want to get it done as long as it is done by the next day.  The interviewer actually looked at me confused saying "if you are getting paid by productivity, why do you have set hours to work?" I had no answer.....anyhoo, the only draw back is that I have to purchase my own equipment....why am I still hesitant to leave MQ? My only explanation I have is after ...

Here's How I Know Something Is Wrong......
Oct 06, 2010

Okay, so I finally actually got an hour's worth of my "primary" - an account I know like the back of my hand....In the past, I KNOW after working so many years on this account almost EXACTLY how  much I can make in 1 full hour of working nonstop, no interruptions, etc.... So, I did the same hour, same account, and in the past I made about 10 bux more per hour doing this same work.  So something is fishy.  It can't be ALL because of the new DQS 6.1 issues.......I can ...

What Did I Do Wrong?
Dec 19, 2010

I am a new grad and had a phone screen with MedQuist last week. They seemed all gung-ho about hiring me until the phone screen. After that I got an email that said my background did not match their needs. I'm wondering what I did to change things. The only thing I can think of is that I said part time. Maybe they wanted me to say full time??? I am really in need of a job-any job. I was thinking they were going to be my best luck. Now I'm really worried I won't find anything soon ...

What Is Wrong With Me
Jul 09, 2011

I really need feedback on this.  I have been an MT for over 25 years.  I am still pretty young (middle age).  I have nothing wrong with me physically or mentally. Yet, I hate my job!  I have a job with a bigger MTSO, but I am getting less and less in my pay b/c my main account runs out of work often and I get the secondary which is not easy on demographics, and has bad dictators.  This is a job which is an employee job and it looks like my pay is decreasing weekly a ...

Maybe Im Doing Something Wrong,,,am I The Only One?
Nov 20, 2011

OK..So a doctor dictates something, usually it is initials for something like I just had OU tele unit,,what the heck is that??  So me I go searching because I always like to verify things I know I heard them say but personally have never heard of it..That goes for everything drug names, conditions, etc.  Should I just be typing exactly what they say and to heck with it if it is wrong?  Kind of like one boss from an old company said garbage in garbage out??  Im a perfectionist ...

Does This Seem Wrong To You?
Dec 13, 2011

I am currently per-diem with a company that requires per-diems to work 2 holidays a year and we have to phone in to beg for work (0.7 cpl) BUT we are not included in any bonuses or the holiday gift card because we are only per-diems.  We make money for the company and are reimbursed at a pauper's rate with no other benefits but we aren't even included in a tiny holiday gift card.  Feels like a huge slap in the face.  Is it even legal to require a "per-diem" with no guara ...

This Is Just Wrong
Dec 13, 2011

So, I lost my job. First, they went AWOL for 4 work days. I sat at my computer for 8 hours every one of those days, no work, nobody answering me. Finally, they called and said they were terminating employment due to "low line counts".   I found that funny since my line counts improved since the first month of employment, and at my lowest line count during that time, they gave me a raise and said how great I was doing. It was only after I told them to pay me minimum wage that they suddenly ...

I Am NOT WRONG
Mar 01, 2012

First of all, at least 95% of the management that runs KS is ALL family. For being there 9 years, you better check more of your facts, as I know for a fact that there are cousins, nieces, sister-in-law, sisters, brother-in-law, just off the top of my head. If you knew what you were looking for, you CAN find out how much they make. Maybe you should try polishing up your research skills. You can say what you want, but I know better. People can choose to believe me or not believe me; that ...

This Is So Wrong.
Apr 04, 2013

Instead of asking the part-timers if they would like to be full-time, they fire them?  Yet, there are still openings for new hires?  There is nothing about this that has the ring of truth.   My sympathies to all of you today.   ...

What Am I Doing Wrong?
Dec 28, 2013

Hello, Let me start by telling my fellow MTs what I am doing. Please point me in right direction, because I can't figure out where I have gone wrong. My job is ending as the small company I work for doesn't have enough work.  I don't have unemployment as a backup since I have been subcontracting clinic work for the past 4 years. This has been my only MT job. I am limited on what I have applied for because I have no acute care experience, only clinic transcription.  I ...

How Can MM ASR Be So Wrong?!!?
May 30, 2014

Dictated: Positive diarrhea. Ouptut: No constipation. Huh???? It already can't get preoperative ands postoperative diagnosis correct, and number recognition is worse than ever. What the heck?? Of course, add to that the added text that was never dictated, the omission of clearly spoken text and making headings randomly. And supposedly the software will learn "if we all get on the same page" (to quote a certain QAM). A mantra that wants to make me scream as the proof tha ...

What's Wrong With TTS?
Oct 06, 2014

All the complaints and dislikes for TTS?  I honestly want to know as I am considering applying with them.  For those of you who like it there can you tell me what it is you like about it?  What's the pay like, workload etc.  Are they flexible with scheduling?  What are the benefits like?  Are benefits affordable?   Thanks! ...

What Is Wrong With These People?
Jun 11, 2010

A 7-year-old boy was murdered by the Taliban in an apparent act of retribution this week. Afghan officials said that the child was accused of spying for U.S. and NATO forces and hanged from a tree in southern Afghanistan. Daoud Ahmadi, the spokesman for the provincial governor of Helmand, said that the killing happened days after the boy's grandfather, Abdul Woodod Alokozai, spoke out against militants in their home village. Ahmadi said: "His grandfather is a tribal elder in the village a ...

Found Out What's Is Wrong With (at Least Some) Of Us.
Aug 01, 2010

In my quest to improve SOMETHING, I stumbled across "job burnout."  I think it is my problem and wanted to share. "A strong signal that the burnout victim is sliding into an existential crisis of meaninglessness is evident when the person's statements about work are cloaked with a "so what?" or "why bother?" attitude. This is particularly striking among burnout victims who were once very enthusiastic and dedicated." There is some very good information and might be helpful.  At ...

What's Wrong With This Picture?
Jun 30, 2011

I just can't understand it.  For the past 2 weeks my line counts have been slowly dropping below the 1200 daily quota.  Feeling the need to make up some lines, I crammed the work yesterday, going as fast as I can, still maintaining quality, proof reading each document, etc.  I was excited to see how much I did.  A measly 1400 lines.  What the?  It was about 1/3 straight typing, 2/3 ASR.  Even when on 100% straight typing I used to do 200+ lines p ...

Is It Wrong To Ask The Pay Rate?
Sep 06, 2011

I've recently been contacted to test with a company and was told what they pay during their training period but not once you are released to send work directly to the client.  Upon asking (for a low/high range) I was told I have to test first.  I've been this route before only to have wasted my time being offered something like 6 or 7 cpl for an IC position.  Am I really out of line wanting to know what I might be getting into before taking the time to test? ...

Done Wrong By MQ And I Just Want To Puke When I See Them Run An Ad!
Nov 23, 2011

nm ...

Now, Class....Can Anyone Tell Me What Is Wrong Here? Sm
Dec 10, 2011

His CT of the head did not show dyspareunia. ...

Wrong Patient Name
Mar 09, 2012

A few days ago I got back a warning message from my company stating that the doc had keyed in the wrong medical record number, but did say that patient's correct name. It's a major error, so my first and last warning. I feel so terrible and am thinking of quitting. I have a hard time with this, as I am very, very careful with names and am thinking of asking to hear the voice recording again. Do you think it's rude for me to ask?  Do companies let you do that? I really think t ...

I Need Work!!! What Am I Doing Wrong?????
Mar 26, 2012

Why can I not find a job? What am I doing wrong?? I need a job like yesterday? I have been a transcriptionist for 16 odd years, both in-hospital, and at home. I am an extremely hard worker, motivated, etc., etc.  I'm dedicated, loyal, aaahhhggg!!! I'm venting, but also want to know if it is just me, or.....? If anyone has any suggestions, or know of an opening somewhere, please, please tell me.  And, of course, I do not own a FOOT PEDAL.  The company I WAS with provided ...

Wrong Characters
May 15, 2012

I am desperate for any solutions to this problem and I am hoping some kind individual can offer advice. When I am typing in the platform I use, report will be going welll when suddenly the wrong characers start typing.  This does not happen in my own documents such as Word Pad.  The problem seems to be only in the platform I am using for transcription.   Has anyone experienced something similar?  Solution?   Many thanks in advance.   ...

What Is Wrong With Some People?!
Nov 30, 2012

They read a post, misunderstand it because they FAILED to read the post to which it responded AND they failed to even read the whole post, and then they respond with a hateful, attacking post? It gets really tiring to have to respond to someone who not only didn't read my whole post, but who has no clue what's going on in the thread.  Yes, yes, it's their right, and I'm sure it'll never stop, but we as MTs are supposed to have better reading comprehension than this ...

What Is Wrong With People?
Jan 09, 2013

I have admittedly not been on this board until recently, so I don't know if there were ever really better times.  I just got acquired by Nuance and came on to see if it really is just as bad for everyone as it was for me, to help me decide if I should quit and go somewhere else, and I'm just shocked by what I see.  SO many nasty people jumping on other people for no reason and doing anything they can to start an argument and keep it going as long as possible.  If you nee ...

Can Someone Tell Me What Is Wrong With Landmark That They Keep
Feb 18, 2013

advertising that they are hiring?  I've read a few posts but nothing solid as to what is wrong with them.  They are posting so many ads, it frightens me. ...

Who Is Wrong? Company Or MT?
Jul 29, 2013

On the Job Seeks Board is an ad for surgery notes -- The ad states: This is an IC position with above-average hourly income, direct deposit and room for growth.  This will be a full-time hourly position.  This is a Monday through Friday position and first shift.  We are closed for major holidays, nights and weekends.    Now, they've said they filled the position.  This paragraph VERY CLEARLY DESCRIBES AN EMPLOYEE POSITION.  So who is wrong?  The ...

Correct Me If I Am Wrong,
Aug 23, 2013

By forcing us to claim shifts from the swap board when we run out, aren't they getting around the "engaged to wait" rule, and thereby not having to pay us to work around the clock? So, in essence, we agree (albeit forced) to come back by claiming another shift on the same day, and therefore, not waiting for work to come in?  Honestly, as much as I cannot stand this company, the have some real geniuses to come up with these policies to screw us. ...

Just What Is Wrong With This Board Lately?
Sep 06, 2013

Is it a server issue or something? Boy you better be sure you really want to read a post because it's going to take it 2 minutes to load. ...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH NUANCE?
Mar 22, 2014

This is in followup to the post below, but I am taking it a step further to state emphatically that Nuance is also prejudiced against women. This is predominantly a woman-based occupation, many of whom are single.  A lot of us have lost or are about to lose our homes.  A lot of us have lost all shred of dignity and self-worth with these cruel and inhumane FIESA rules.  A lot of us are are depressed and angry.  A lot of us cry frequently. The big corporate fat cats don& ...

Correct Me If I Am Wrong Please
Jun 16, 2014

A little while back didn't they make the point to say that numbers in number form were ok to use at the beginning of a sentence? Now I see ASR writing all the numbers out. Which way is correct, just seems as soon as they say this is the way to do it, ASR goes back to the incorrect way. ...

According To Monster We're Doing It All Wrong
Jun 27, 2014

I got an email from Monster today that said what we are supposed to do is job hop, see? We stay with a company for about three years and then we go to another company where we can command a greater salary, see?  If we stay where we are we'll have to keep settling for these measly 3% raises (I'm laughing as I type this, haven't had a raise in many years), oh no, if we job hop, at the next company we can expect to start out at a much higher level than what we are making right n ...