A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I emailed my resume to a company advertising for VR editor... - SM

Posted: Sep 03, 2010

I have 17 years experience in medical transcription with half of those years doing QA and the last four years doing VR for a hospital and I get an email back from the company saying they don't have any positions that would meet my criteria?!?!?!

I have a FT job and I was looking to supplement my income, get ahead start for the holiday season, ya know and I'm told that a 17-year MT veteran doesn't fit into any of their positions?

I am confused.  Do companies want to higher the less experienced so they can pay less?  I think yes.  Medical transcription is the only career field I have ever heard of where the more experience you have, the less chance you have at getting a job!

I've sent out resumes to probably about five different companies in the last month and received no responses except for the one I mention and they didn't even want to test me.  I know having 17 years experience doesn't necessarily mean I'm good at my job, but you'd think 17 years experience would at least get me to the testing process where I can prove myself, but no!  I can't even get that far.  It's ridiculous!

Your response mightve been different if your - email had come from India...... (n/m)

[ In Reply To ..]

That's what I was thinking... - VetMT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Sounds like you are looking for a temporary PT job? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what you put in application/cover letter to the companies, but from what you write here, it sounds like you already have a FT job and are just looking for a temporary supplemental job. I would think that right there is the problem. Seems a company would rather hire someone looking for a FT longterm job vs. someone who is going to quit in just a few months.

I didn't put that I wanted to supplement my income in my - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
cover letter. I'm not looking for temporary, more of a PT permanent job and maybe even FT in the future. So I my cover letter just summarized my experience and skills and I didn't saying anything about whether I was looking for PT or FT.

You listed supplementing - could be that

[ In Reply To ..]
If they are looking to hire full time, or if you said you are currently employed looking for something in addition, that might be the criteria that doesn't fit.

Without picking, I think if you sent a cover letter or your SM - trying to help

[ In Reply To ..]
resume contained any "essay" type information it may have counted you out. I know you aren't at work right now, but you may not be aware that your post here contains MANY punctuation (not commas) errors and a homophone error. Just examine your cover letter and resume and make sure everything is okay with them.

I can assure you that my resume is quite professional, - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
split into four sections, objective, work experience, education, and summary of qualifications. Under each section information is contained in bulleted lists. No essay type information. The cover letter is a three paragraph letter summarizing my experience in essay form.

As far as the "MANY" puncture and homophone erros in my post... posts on these boards are for conversational purposes and generally the person posting doesn't "proofread" as often or as closely as they would say a medical document or a cover letter.

Finally, I can also assure that I have gone over my resume and my cover letter wih a fine-toothed comb. I have been tweaking essentially the same resume and cover letter for 17 years, adding information when necessary. I have read both exhaustively. I might also add I currently have a FT job and I landed that job using this same resume and cover letter.

So I don't think it's my resume or cover letter.

I seriously doubt the use of the word higher SM - trying to help

[ In Reply To ..]
instead of the correct word hire is an error made when someone is being "conversational" or is typing quickly.

It speaks to the fact that you don't know the difference between the two and that is what I was getting at. Carry on.
You don't? You've never been tryping away thinking ahead and just subconsciously - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
typed something incorrectly? I also have a tendency to type plural when it should be pleural or vice versa. But when I proofread, I catch those errors. When I'm angrily typing a post online, I don't bother to proofread, am usually thinking way faster than I type, and usually make typos.

But kudos to you for being so perfect and all. I wish I never made any errors ever.

Historically, job candidates with lots of experience are rejected because they probably won't s - Nothing new about that

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

They don't stay because they get better offers and take them - Used to do hiring of non-MTs

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

too much experience? - an

[ In Reply To ..]
"Do companies want to higher the less experienced so they"....I am hoping with all that experience you use your spellchecker (higher?/hire). This may be your problem. Full-time wanting additional work? Ask the company you work for now would be good for starters.

I don't work for a company. I work for a hospital. I make an hourly - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
wage. There is incentive; however, I could make more with a second job than I could with the incentive pay at this hospital.

And yes, I use spellcheck and grammar check when I creat documents in Word and apparently I should construct all my MTStars posts in Word as well. I didn't realize there were such stringent standards for message board posting. My bad.

Similar Messages:

Company Advertising For Podiatry All The Time. Sm
Jan 11, 2010

Okay looks like there are 6 podiatrists in Iowa. So tempted to call and ask office manager if they know what is going on with their transcription... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=podiatrist,+iowa&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10 ...

Email From Company Advertising 5 Cpl For Transcription!
Jan 13, 2012

I cannot believe these MTSOs sprouting up, offering transcription for 5 cpl AND free trials, who advertise as though they are usingUS-based MTs but are obviously using third world slave labor and driving our salaries down even further.... I use only US-based and would rather go out of business then give them my business.... ...

I'm Going To Start Reporting Every Single Company That Is Advertising
Jan 21, 2010

...if it's obvious they are really looking for employees but want to avoid paying benefits.   Just how much abuse and illegal crap are we supposed to take in this industry. Enough already!! ...

Wow..company I Just Sent Resume To Sent Me Their Test..
May 10, 2010

and it consists of 9 files to transcribe, all over 5 minutes long! Are they kidding?  And do all these without a foot pedal?! HA! Thanks but no thanks ...

U.S. Scribe, Did Anyone Send Their Resume To This Company?
Jun 25, 2010

If so, did anything come out of it? ...

Sending Resume On Company Apps
Sep 12, 2011

Does anyone know how to send your resume when you fill out the online application at a company's website?  There is the usual blank (tiny window) and to the right of that box it states browse.  When you click on browse it takes you to where your resume is located on your computer, and then instead of actually putting your resume into the app, it just puts where your resume is located.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this.  If someone would be so ki ...

After Buyout, Which Company Name Do You List On Resume?
Mar 12, 2012

I was one of the DSG people who woke up one day to find that we were now M-Modal employees.  I declined the M-Modal offer, but was on the new payroll for just a couple of days....wouldn't have had a choice to be an M-Modal employee for at least that first day, even if I didn't want to be.   My question is, now that I'm applying for new jobs, how would you list your former employer's name on a resume/job app?  Instead of saying you worked at DSG for "X" number ...

For Those Who Have Their Resume Posted On The Resume Bank
Sep 25, 2012

I received a couple of very suspicious emails from someone who sounded overseas.  Just a warning. ...

Just Emailed My TSM
Oct 14, 2014

Emailed my TSM to see when we are going to find out actual numbers for this new compensation plan. Who wants to bet I'll never get a reply? ...

How Many Of You Have Actually Emailed The Owner
May 18, 2012

of the company you work for and told them you will not put up with things any longer?  Just curious:) ...

TSM Emailed Me Back About Pay
Mar 11, 2014

She said that in the discussions, they said that it would be $20 to $30 hourly based upon quality, speed, and experience. ...

I Just Emailed DOJ Antitrust Division At
Aug 04, 2013

antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov ...

I Emailed The Hospitals I Used To Work For
Dec 04, 2014

I may not hear back from them, but it made me feel better just doing it. ...

Just For Infor The Walmart Store, Just Emailed
Mar 18, 2015

With the employee discout wow perks whatever, is way more expensive than the store. So, don't waste your time ...

Wells Fargo Employee Emailed The CEO
Apr 07, 2015

Article. ...

I Totally Just Emailed My Team Lead And Put In My Notice...
Feb 28, 2011

it's just not working out for me there.  I would rather have an IC position.  I have an interview with another company.  If I get it good, if not I will go substitute teach at the school...would prob make more money.  This fall I will be going back to college to get a BS in biology.  I will be out of this disappointing career as soon as I can.  What a waste of 2 years of my time to study medical transcription and the last 4 years trying to make money doing it. ...

For Those Who Need A Resume Or A Resume Facelift
Sep 04, 2013

I'm looking to get out of my job in a bad way and my resume was less than pretty. I ran across this site and it was awesome.  It's free to update your resume but charges to print or email, copy, etc.  But for a cover letter and resume was only $2.95 but will auto-renew at $34 if you don't cancel within 2 weeks.  But I did the trial period and got an awesome resume and fantastic cover letter. It's easy to use and fun. Hope this helps a little bit.  http:// ...

Resume In Resume Bank
Sep 24, 2014

Has anybody been contacted for a position by posting their resume in the resume bank? ...

To Krystal, Who Emailed Me In Reference To Line Count Poll
Aug 27, 2011

I work for a person who has her own accounts.  She has 6 full time people working for her including me and not hiring any more at this time.  I work on her Independent Medical Evaluation account and fill in on her other accounts.  I also work part time in-house as a fill-in at a small rural hospital that pays by the hour with 1200 lines per shift minimum and waiting for a full time position to open up there, which will be a long wait because none of the MTs there ha ...

TTD Advertising Again?
Aug 01, 2012

Can anyone who works for TTD tell me why they are advertising again?  I see them on this board a lot and just wondered.  High turnover rate or just lots of work? Thanks! ...

MQ Now Advertising Under An Alias
Nov 04, 2009

While searching for another transcription job, I came across a  company I had never heard of before, "The Right Thing" based in "Findley, Ohio."  I thought this could be great, instead of staying with MedQuist offering the "Wrong Thing."  I decided to look into it, and it was actually a Medquist advertisement!  They posted they had 3000 MTs nationwide and here was some of the other verbatim wording. Competitive Line RatesDependable VolumeFull and Part-Time positions24/7 Tech ...

MQ Advertising For More People ;(
Nov 08, 2009

which is no big deal, except that they can't seem to give me as much work as I want.  Same office going off and hiring more people and yet I've repeatedly asked for more work.  I've been trained on FOUR accounts, and then as each one peters out, they pull me off and put me on another one, and the cycle repeats.    Not only am I getting sick and tired of constantly training on a new hospital, but I'm getting sick and tired of constantly getting no jobs av ...

Landmark Advertising Again? Sm
Oct 19, 2010

Okay, isn't it odd that two weeks ago Landmark had an ad for psych transcriptionists and got over 1400 hits on that one ad.  Now they have an ad for acute care MT's.  Didn't they get enough applications two weeks ago?  BTW, did anyone even hear  from them about the Psych positions? ...

Why Is SoftScript Advertising Again?
Feb 01, 2012

Last week SoftScript was advertizing for transcriptionists.  I filled out the application on their website which I am sure many others did. They are back on a the same  board advertizing again in less than a week.  Do they really need help? ...

MTSO's And Advertising
Jul 11, 2012

Why do these companies continue to keep job postings for open positions up if the position is already filled? Tired of testing just to be told that the position is filled. Is it that hard to take the ad down? ...

CommandHealth Advertising!
Aug 06, 2013

Don't say you weren't warned.  They are nitpicking micromanagers who QA you to death on EVERYTHING, every comma, period.  And they do it with an edge of attitude.  If you did that same thing right 50 times but made a mistake and did not do it 1 time, they'll say, you need to read your account specifics carefully, makes no sense.  The files are very short and you will not make much money.  They pay by the minute.  MOST IMPORTANTLY, they ...

Going Through Bankruptcy But Advertising For New MTs?
Mar 10, 2014

Just got an e-mail from Glassdoor about "new jobs for medical transcription" and the first one in the list is M-Modal for acute care MT 3 days ago.  How could they do this if they have filed for bankruptcy?  Or is this just an automated posting for new MTs? ...

Assistmed Is Advertising Again
Aug 05, 2014

Assistmed is advertising again.  I quit because in the four months I worked for them (8 paychecks), four times they were late by as much as a week or "forgot" to pay me.  Just an FYI. ...

MQ Hiring: False Advertising
Oct 16, 2009

I saw an ad for MQ looking for MTs.  In the ad they brag of 1500 customers (read mostly overseas), world-wide career path (read better move to India to keep your job) and $500 sign-on bonus (read MQ will make that back quick out of your line count). ...

Transcription Doctors Is Always Advertising. How Are
Feb 15, 2010

nm ...