A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TSM emailed me back about pay - sm

Posted: Mar 11, 2014

She said that in the discussions, they said that it would be $20 to $30 hourly based upon quality, speed, and experience.

I find that extremely difficult to believe. - but dang if it were true...

[ In Reply To ..]
Based on a couple of things I noticed (can't go into detail-sorry), I am guessing HUNDREDS of MTs have applied for testing.

Based on that, I am going to guess that the 60 who are chosen get 100% on the test.

If that was true, why wouldn't it have been in the initial email? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's interesting that they didn't put it in writing. Instead, MTs have to ask their TSM what was "mentioned" in discussions? I personally would never sign a contract to work for 2 years in a job that makes no mention of pay.

Probably because every single MT at MM - would have applied .

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is going to be very difficult to get into the program as it is.

I get to test but am not holding my breath that I will get in.

That would be BS - if they are paying

[ In Reply To ..]
that kind of money after having screwed the MTs down to the nubbins for so long.

Coders have always made more money than - MT, right?

[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked in-house they made a lot more than we did.

I don't want to say it is a more difficult job but it is more tedious and requires pretty much 100% accuracy.

Coding is not a good job fit for everyone and I think a lot of MTs who jump on this will fail and/or end up hating it.

Yeah, they have - That would be BS

[ In Reply To ..]
Coders have always made more money plus they MAKE money for the facility while we were just a necessary nuisance.

Coders - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree coding is not a good fit for everyone. When I enrolled in Dorsey Schools in Michigan for medical transcriptionist, they encouraged me NOT to enroll in this program because they said it would be hard to find a job in this field. They said instead to enroll in Medical Coding where there are lots of jobs (they said). I liked learning about diseases, so I preferred being a medical transcriptionist, but looked at the curriculum for medical coding anyway. There was a lot of accounting in there, and I do NOT like accounting. I ended up not going through any of their programs, but was hired by Spheris/Medquist/M-Modal soon afterwards.
Just FYI, there is no "accounting" in my job - Coder. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
I can't even imagine trying to do a tedious and - demanding job like coding on a production basis.
[ In Reply To ..]
XX

Coder vs MT pay - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree, as I had done both jobs. Now I'm going back into "ancient history" but 20 years ago they were paying coders (at least in this area, rural) $10/hr and as a transcriptionist we were paid on production and could make from $12/hr to over $20/hr.

Coding is a precision job as facility reimbursement depends upon it, so if you do not like ferreting out information, etc it's not for you.

Yeah, but MTs used to make more money, too. - Until MTSOs came into the picture. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
So, with that knowledge, and the knowledge as an MM employee about how they've treated their MTs that were their bread-and-butter for so many years, what's going to stop them from pulling the very exact-same shenanigans on coders? Nothing! And if they do that, and cut coders' pay down to the bare minimum, I wonder what's going to happen to in-house coding jobs. Gee - I just wonder.
Oh for sure, history will repeat itself. - but faster this time around
[ In Reply To ..]
They have it perfected now, so instead of a decade it will be just a couple of years.

Yep. Like exactly two years. It's pathetically - easy to see what is coming. NM
[ In Reply To ..]

Don't believe it - NorthMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
When we first went on SR, I was told I could make between $20 and $25/hr based on quality, speed, and experience too...what a crock! On a good night, I make $9 MAX!

I made that 15 years ago - BEFORE

[ In Reply To ..]
Before MQ decided to transfer that to the suits' pocket. They will take that from all you would be coders in the end.

Also, an important point I haven't seen brought up - yet

[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously, from a business standpoint, M*Modal will want to become successful and profitable in the coding business. To do that, they will have to obtain as many coding accounts as possible. And to do that they will have to underbid other coding companies to get them and convince facilities how much money they can save by outsourcing the coding departments (the same way they did with MT). This in turn means they will be paying their coders less than the going rate. There's no way around it.

Even if that were true (which doesn't seem very - realistic, considering what we are - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
dealing with, in terms of company morality, and all that, I would not only want that pay quote, ON PAPER, before ever signing on to train. AND, I would also want it on paper that that pay would never be reduced during my 2-year mandatory employment with MM.

However, someone else above said the pay was likely to be based on production, not hourly. (This IS an MTSO, remember, and an el-cheapo one, at that).

Similar Messages:

Just Emailed My TSM
Oct 14, 2014

Emailed my TSM to see when we are going to find out actual numbers for this new compensation plan. Who wants to bet I'll never get a reply? ...

How Many Of You Have Actually Emailed The Owner
May 18, 2012

of the company you work for and told them you will not put up with things any longer?  Just curious:) ...

I Just Emailed DOJ Antitrust Division At
Aug 04, 2013

antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov ...

I Emailed The Hospitals I Used To Work For
Dec 04, 2014

I may not hear back from them, but it made me feel better just doing it. ...

Just For Infor The Walmart Store, Just Emailed
Mar 18, 2015

With the employee discout wow perks whatever, is way more expensive than the store. So, don't waste your time ...

Wells Fargo Employee Emailed The CEO
Apr 07, 2015

Article. ...

I Emailed My Resume To A Company Advertising For VR Editor...
Sep 03, 2010

I have 17 years experience in medical transcription with half of those years doing QA and the last four years doing VR for a hospital and I get an email back from the company saying they don't have any positions that would meet my criteria?!?!?! I have a FT job and I was looking to supplement my income, get ahead start for the holiday season, ya know and I'm told that a 17-year MT veteran doesn't fit into any of their positions? I am confused.  Do companies want to higher t ...

I Totally Just Emailed My Team Lead And Put In My Notice...
Feb 28, 2011

it's just not working out for me there.  I would rather have an IC position.  I have an interview with another company.  If I get it good, if not I will go substitute teach at the school...would prob make more money.  This fall I will be going back to college to get a BS in biology.  I will be out of this disappointing career as soon as I can.  What a waste of 2 years of my time to study medical transcription and the last 4 years trying to make money doing it. ...

To Krystal, Who Emailed Me In Reference To Line Count Poll
Aug 27, 2011

I work for a person who has her own accounts.  She has 6 full time people working for her including me and not hiring any more at this time.  I work on her Independent Medical Evaluation account and fill in on her other accounts.  I also work part time in-house as a fill-in at a small rural hospital that pays by the hour with 1200 lines per shift minimum and waiting for a full time position to open up there, which will be a long wait because none of the MTs there ha ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Back To Work After Back Surgery
Aug 23, 2012

Hello, I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 min ...

Dang It - DQS Back Up But My Job Did Not Come Back To Me.
Mar 31, 2011

. ...

I'm Back...I'm Back In The Saddle Again!!!!
Jul 02, 2014

Back to being an MT, and yes, I am excited about that. ...

Well, Back To NJA Again..
Oct 27, 2009

Oh dear, here it goes again. ...NJA and a whole week to go on this pay period.  Due to my sickness I had to take off my 3a-5a shift, but now cannot get work to make up.   I long ago used up all my PTO.   Arrgggghhh.  Arggghhhh.   Argghhhh.  Argghhh.  I am practicing my pirate sounds for Halloween.  I've already got the screaming banshee routine down so much I have nothing but low growly voice left. ...

I Wonder If They'd Take Me Back.
Jun 22, 2011

I quit last July because they couldn't keep me "transcriptioning," sent my resignation to my supervisor, and then received a letter in October stating that I was terminated.   Loved it!  And I'm thinking of reapplying.  Ought to be an interesting experience.. lol..  just love it!  I don't have anything else to do, and what other company would let you not work for 3 months before they terminated you?   Did I mention how much I love this ...

I Got Back Into DQS
Nov 04, 2010

I just got back in so maybe problem is fixed?! ...

Getting Back In To MT
Dec 06, 2010

Thanks so much for any advice! I am newly divorced and working at a call center, and I have an MT certificate from Everett Community College, and even though I have lost 1/2 of my stuff thanks to my ex, I seem to have held on to my foot pedal, software, and that is about it. I would like to start over and try to find an MT job. I had an excellent GPA in school but have never worked. I graduated in 2007. Am I crazy to try? I figure it is now or never, anyway. If someone here is optimistic enough ...

Getting Back Into The Biz
Mar 15, 2011

Hi all, I'm getting back into editing after a 5-year hiatus.  I'm being offered .06 cpl at this time.  Back in the day, it was an hourly wage I made.. so, am trying to figure out what it's going to take volume wise to make a decent paycheck.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thanks, I appreciate this site  and your input very much! ...

DQS Back Up For Me...nm
Jun 11, 2012

nm ...

MM Wants Me Back
Sep 17, 2012

ok so after 13 years, having to resort to food stamps and borrowing money to make my rent, I leave MM approx 2-1/2 months ago to to type for 2 docs and 2 PAs in a private practice at $15/hr, no weekends, no holidays, beautiful office building, 1 hour lunch...and I get a call asking if I would consider coming back to MM ... AND I wouldn't even have to test for them!. ha....ha ha....ha ha ha....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

Anyone Back In Yet?
Oct 31, 2012

Just wanna take a nap. ...

Im Back Up
Nov 26, 2012

:) ...

Looking To Get Back Into MT???
Dec 15, 2012

I worked in medical transcription for about 3 years, but it has been about 3 years since I have done it. I really need to get back into it due to the fact my family needs the extra income. I cannot work outside the home because my daughter has special needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is Anyone Else Back In?
Nov 11, 2013

Everything (for me) seems to be uploading/downloading OK.  Light is still red though.  ...

BACK AND FORTH!!!!!!
Mar 12, 2014

Since the announcement of MModal bankruptcy, I have had such mixed feelings.  First of all, I have just begun my 17th year with this company.  I have been through many TSMs or whatever they are now.  I have only had 1 that was totally unreasonable which I guess is pretty fortunate.  Like everyone else, I make about half the money I used to with this company.  I am a tier 3 MT and have been since the beginning.  I have 30 years of MT experience, have a degree in heal ...

I Want To Go Back To My Old Job
Mar 25, 2014

I left in good standing I think! Two week notice, exit interview, good words about company, etc. ...

Wish I Had My Old MT Job Back...
Jun 29, 2014

I am still at M*Modal but have a different position which I thought was going to be a promotion, but I am not as enthused about it as I first was. Is it possible to go back to being an MT (since I am already an employee) even though there is a hiring freeze? How could I ask anonymously? ...

OK Now Back Up!
Sep 25, 2014

x ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Get Back In Yet?
Oct 01, 2014

. ...

Is Everyone Back In Now?
Oct 01, 2014

x ...