A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wow..company I just sent resume to sent me their test.. - sm

Posted: May 10, 2010

and it consists of 9 files to transcribe, all over 5 minutes long! Are they kidding?  And do all these without a foot pedal?! HA! Thanks but no thanks

Good grief! - mt4years

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd be curious to know which co. this was so I can steer clear of them. Feel free to email me if you do not want to post the name of the co.

it is okay, per moderator, to give company name. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes. NM - Moderator

[ In Reply To ..]

Share the name of company? - me

[ In Reply To ..]
that is a heavy test

That is not a test .. - That is cleaning up their backlog for free

[ In Reply To ..]
Believe it.

The company was OSI. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

OSI - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a similar experience with OSI; I thought they required a ridiculous amount of testing and never completed the transcription test.

OSI doesn't hire in CA, so they wouldn't even let me test - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I think I know that company - Just an observation...

[ In Reply To ..]
First, there's nothing wrong with companies testing people more extensively than most of them do. If they did, they wouldn't get so many duds. Giving people a few 2-minute files to transcribe tells you nothing.

Second, it's not the company's fault that you don't have a compatible foot pedal. Perhaps importing the files into Express Scribe (which is free) would be an option, assuming that you do have one of the more common foot pedals (for your computer, not one for a desktop unit like a C-phone).

Third, this company isn't "cleaning up any backlog". They send out the same test files every time. Conspiracy theorists need not apply. Sheesh!

So you think that nine files of five minutes each,...sm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
equaling about 45 minutes of dictation (approximately two hours of transcribing) is reasonable for a test?

Backlog cleanup disguised as testing is - no conspiracy theory

[ In Reply To ..]
And how do you know they send out the same test files every time?

Hmmm...

Geesh..What's the matter, you don't have all day to complete just one little testing - Are these companies for real??

[ In Reply To ..]
We need jobs, not a waste of our day to spend doing ONE test. Lords know that has now become a full-time job, applying for jobs. These companies need to get real and give people a break.

They have a job; you don't. I would spend the time if you want/need the job - Just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot of complaining from people who supposedly need a job. I think the people who are really motivated will do it.

No motivation problem here. Part of the issue is. - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
There is not just ONE company your testing and applying to. Some days I apply for four jobs, complete hours of testing and NEVER hear back. So, yes, I am motivated to get a job but how many hours a day do you think I should have to put forth in getting a job without getting discouraged and burned out. I'm just saying that my time is as valuable as theirs. Spending an hour on a test is not unreasonable per test but sending someone 45 minutes of dictation is excessive. I need to be able to complete the test and move on to another one I will likely never heard back from. Just my experience.
Yes, your time is as valuable as theirs but they are getting paid and you need the job - Just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
You do have a couple of good points, but I still remind you that they have a job and you don't, so their time actually is worth money and at this point yours isn't, right? Not meant as an insult, just to point out that how many hours should you spend? As many as it takes.
If you weren't working from home you would be - spending a couple of hours
[ In Reply To ..]
in commuting to the interview and completing the process. What's the difference? At least you don't have to get dressed. Think of it that way?

9 files, 5+ minutes each?? - 1mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand wanting to give something more than a couple minutes of test dictation, but that's a little ridiculous. Test is way too long and I agree that it sounds like a back-log cleanup for free.

testing time/files and perspective - NotNewMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree that 45 minutes of dictation is an excessive amount to transcribe for test purposes. One H&P that includes current meds and a detailed exam, and one OP note with enough anatomy and basic terminology should be sufficient.

On the other hand, regarding time spent on the hiring process, in other industries people sometimes spend a lot of time to get through the system. I know people who have spent as much as 2 hours to get through upwards of 50+ pages of an on-line application (reputable companies). Then they went through multiple levels of interviews, never to get a response. HR departments and employers in many industries do not respond that they have even received people's applications. It would seem like common courtesy, but it just does not happen.

I cannot figure out if it's the current economy or if businesses philosophy no longer includes manners.

I remember when it took us hours just to get an appointment for an interview - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
We spent hours getting an appointment just for an interview. When we arrived for the interview, dressed up in our best interview clothes after having been on weeks of interview after interview. Then we had to fill out the forms, usually a couple of pages. Then we got the interview and had to wait a couple of weeks for the results.

The way I estimate it, you are spending fewer hours now but spending a lot more time griping about it. If the test takes more than a couple of hours to do for that 45 minutes of dictation, the work is probably going to be too hard for you or if you didn't think it was worth doing, you probably aren't going to enjoy that job very much.

There are some companies that apparently don't want anyone to get through the system. I think they hire through other channels, word-of-mouth, etc. This one doesn't seem like it's that bad though. I would have done it cheerfully if I had been looking for a job. Just my viewpoint.

I think we need to think today and not about 10 years ago. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I only had to fill-out an application. I took a quick typing test for my first transcription job. So please save it! No one needs to test for 9 files at 5 minutes a piece. They should know with first off the application/resume. Usually a resume can trump an application if the resume is done correctly.

Usually a company does not need to contact my references until they know they are totally interested in me. I noticed these companies want to contact the people I transcribe for before they even give me an interview. No thanks. That allows my clients open for them to try to market to with their hanky schmanky talk.

Griping? Yes if you call not willing to spend an entire day transcribing some company's backlog griping, then so be it.

Furthermore, if you want to compare it the old days, then this no name canned e-mails we get in response to applying if we even get a response does not compare to what we would have gotten say 20 years ago when we went to apply for a job in our nice clothes.

We cannot compare apples to oranges!
I don't agree with your evaluation or your conclusions - But I would gladly take the tests
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not looking for a job, but if I were, I would be happy to take the tests. In fact, I might have an opportunity to transcribe a new specialty or procedure. I see it as an adventure and, if I didn't have a job, I would have nothing better to do until I find one.

Similar Messages:

So Did Anyone Who Sent In A Resume NOT Get Invited To Test
Mar 16, 2014

Today is the last day to test.  Good luck! ...

U.S. Scribe, Did Anyone Send Their Resume To This Company?
Jun 25, 2010

If so, did anything come out of it? ...

Sending Resume On Company Apps
Sep 12, 2011

Does anyone know how to send your resume when you fill out the online application at a company's website?  There is the usual blank (tiny window) and to the right of that box it states browse.  When you click on browse it takes you to where your resume is located on your computer, and then instead of actually putting your resume into the app, it just puts where your resume is located.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this.  If someone would be so ki ...

After Buyout, Which Company Name Do You List On Resume?
Mar 12, 2012

I was one of the DSG people who woke up one day to find that we were now M-Modal employees.  I declined the M-Modal offer, but was on the new payroll for just a couple of days....wouldn't have had a choice to be an M-Modal employee for at least that first day, even if I didn't want to be.   My question is, now that I'm applying for new jobs, how would you list your former employer's name on a resume/job app?  Instead of saying you worked at DSG for "X" number ...

I Emailed My Resume To A Company Advertising For VR Editor...
Sep 03, 2010

I have 17 years experience in medical transcription with half of those years doing QA and the last four years doing VR for a hospital and I get an email back from the company saying they don't have any positions that would meet my criteria?!?!?! I have a FT job and I was looking to supplement my income, get ahead start for the holiday season, ya know and I'm told that a 17-year MT veteran doesn't fit into any of their positions? I am confused.  Do companies want to higher t ...

Test For A Company Called Medgarde
Oct 07, 2011

I was asked to test for a company called Medgarde.  Does anyone know anything about them? ...

I'm So Bummed......did Not Pass Test For Another Company.
Jun 28, 2012

Received email saying I had to have 97% or higher.  I doubled checked all my answers on the test and then did 5 VR reports.  I'd like to see my test.  I'm not new at this.  I so wanted a different job.     sigh. ...

For Those Who Have Their Resume Posted On The Resume Bank
Sep 25, 2012

I received a couple of very suspicious emails from someone who sounded overseas.  Just a warning. ...

For Those Who Need A Resume Or A Resume Facelift
Sep 04, 2013

I'm looking to get out of my job in a bad way and my resume was less than pretty. I ran across this site and it was awesome.  It's free to update your resume but charges to print or email, copy, etc.  But for a cover letter and resume was only $2.95 but will auto-renew at $34 if you don't cancel within 2 weeks.  But I did the trial period and got an awesome resume and fantastic cover letter. It's easy to use and fun. Hope this helps a little bit.  http:// ...

Resume In Resume Bank
Sep 24, 2014

Has anybody been contacted for a position by posting their resume in the resume bank? ...

Test S/l Mal-blees Test - Left Elbow Lateral Epicondylitis
Jan 18, 2012

x ...

Is Anyone Here An RHIT? Wondering How Difficult The Test Is Compared To CCS Test
Jul 10, 2012

nm ...

Gyno Test - S/l Wisp Test? I Think I'm Spent!
Jan 05, 2010

.. ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

How To Resume?
Sep 07, 2010

Haven't written a resume in years. How do you write one if you have been at the same place for 11 years?  Isn't that as far back as they are looking for?  Appreciate tips. ...

Help With Resume
Mar 31, 2011

I am trying to get back out there but I need help with my resume which I absolutely hate doing.  Could someone please email me some suggestions.  I would like to try and get back into an office setting doing anything!  ...

I Am In Need Of Help With My Resume
Jun 29, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I am in need of a career counsler who specializes in resumes. I live in Chevy Chase, Maryland, which is outside of Washington, D.C. and I need someone to help me with my current resume so that it is current. I know that there must be a company who can help me who does not live in the D.C. area who can help me telecommuting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you. Fondly, Suzie ...

OK ... I Did It, Just Sent My Resume
Mar 11, 2014

I read every line to all of the posts here for the last 24 hours, slept on the decision and thought a lot about it this morning.  Even in putting my resume together my hands were shaking ... not sure if it's the right decision or not.  But I'm trusting, trusting, trusting.  I feel like I've weighed every option and taken every scenario under consideration and my final decision is, I HAVE to make a move.  The days of transcription with this company are extremel ...

Just Sent Resume To
Mar 28, 2014

ad on mtdy, first ad on page (QMedET Solutions). does anyone have any info on them or are currently working for them? any info would be appreciated. tnx. ...

Question Regarding Resume
Nov 19, 2009

I have a question and maybe someone out there knows the answer.  I have a resume which I created on Word.  I would generally send it as an attachment to an e-mail; however, I'm finding that recruiters for some reason are requesting the resume be pasted into the e.mail.  If I do that, I lose my formatting on the resume and the text gets all messed up. Does anyone know of a solution?  I feel really dumb! Thanks!   ...

I Posted My Resume.......
Sep 29, 2010

.......and I keep getting emails asking what my specialties are. I posted all that and it's also in my resume. Makes me wonder if anyone actually reads a resume. ...

Resume On MT Stars
Apr 30, 2011

I put my resume on here and in the job wanted board.  I was wondering as more people put their resumes on and yours gets older and further down the list do you still get companies contacting you or should you put a new one on to move it back up the list.  I only put my resume on 2 days ago and got 3 contacts.  No bad MT Stars.  ...

Transcriptionist Resume Help
May 28, 2011

I get a lot of MTs asking me for help with resumes so I thought I would put this out for anyone who is interested. This link downloads a sample one-page MT resume to use as a guide: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/Sample%20One%20Page%20MT%20Resume.docx This link shows this same resume with some tips added. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/One%20Page%20MT%20Resume%20Tips.jpg Hope this helps someone.   ...

Would You Put On A Resume A Job You Only Kept For 15 Days?
Nov 30, 2011

x ...

Building A Resume
Apr 27, 2012

I recently applied for a coding position at a hospital.  The last line of the job listing said, "Motivated students with strong interest in coding may be considered."  In my resume, I explained what I was currently doing; taking the AAPC coding course, and in using directly quoted info from the AAPC website (below where it starts...."This course teaches"... and ends with ......"volume 3 procedure coding".   I am currently a student in the CPC-H® coding course administer ...

Now I Have A Question About Resume
Jun 30, 2012

I have had six radiology transcriptiion jobs in 25 years.  I had one on-site job for 10 years and the other 15 years at home.   I can easilly explain what my duties were when I was on site. It was in the 1980s when the equipment I used then seems ancient now and if the interviewer is young she probably would not even know what I am talking about. Anyway if I transcribed for five companies at home doing the same straight typing radiology reports do I really need to itemize wha ...

Need Resume Wording Help
Jan 31, 2013

I am trying to finish my resume because there is a job I am perfect for and want to apply. I am trying to find the right words to convey my skills at keeping straight so many different client profiles for so many different accounts. Ability to ____. I keep coming up blank. I know this is an important skill, to be accurate in formatting so many different ways. Attention to detail just doesn't cut it. Coordinate? Looking for words, any help appreciated. Also in filling out online appl ...

How Far Back Do You Go On Your Resume?sm
May 12, 2013

I'm applying for another MT job and have worked at the same company for almost 9 years. Do I really need to go back further than that? ...

And It Happened Again!! I Sent My Resume For A Job
Jun 21, 2013

that I most definitely qualify for with no word from them....lo and behold they have another ad this morning! :((( ...

I Should Know Before I Submit A Resume?
Nov 15, 2013

Something I should know before I submit a resume? ...