A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Leave. Give It Up. - FactoryMary

Posted: Jun 01, 2011

After working for more than 30 years as a medical transcriptionist, having gone through so many changes in the field, I left it all behind a year ago.  I worked the last ten years at home, the last few I was with MDI/Transcend.  MDI was a great company, but it all fell apart when Transcend took over.  Hope DF is sleeping well on her $16 million, I know many transcriptionists are not.  I saw my pay dwindle down to almost nothing and my TL cherry-picking, which really cut my income.  Also, the ROM was a total Witch with a capital 'B'.  I was no longer making ends meet, and decided quickly the industry was headed for disaster.  I knew I had to make a change, but was no longer interested in working on-site as a transcriptionist in an office or hospital, mostly because I did not want to tip-toe around sensitive personalities.   I took a job at a local factory that pays me far more than I was making as a transcriptionist.  My fellow co-workers are fun and far from sensitive.  A sensitive personality isn't going to cut it here.   It is a union job, so the benefits are outstanding.  It is not easy to be hired here, the company has few openings as turnover is low.  I  am proud to be part of a company making an 'American-made product'!  The job is very physical, which I actually enjoy as I spent so many years in a chair, looking at a computer screen.  My point here is that you must consider other options that you never thought of before.  Medical transcription started crumbling when we were allowed to work at home (suddenly every mother out there said "Oh, I can do that, too!") and VoiceWreck really put the nail in the coffin.  I was not appreciated while I did transcription.  I am appreciated at my new job.  I am very happy with the decision I made to leave transcription.  Each of you that are unhappy with your jobs will have to do some soul-searching as I did and think outside the box.  Transcription is not the be-all and end-all of jobs.  I had to do what I had to do to pay the bills, and I am very happy I did.  By the way, I get 1 paid week of vacation at 1 year, 2 weeks at 2 years.  Also, the company shut down for 1 week (with pay) at Christmas.  On the down side, it is very hot in the plant- no AC in here.  Gatorade and water are encouraged, occasionally someone passes out.  I am now having a normal life, meaning I come home and enjoy being home without worrying about a line count that was increasingly difficult to make.  Only you can make the change you need.  You gotta do what you gotta do.  Good luck. 

Good for you, I think? - StillLoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like you made a good choice for yourself, but you said, " On the down side, it is very hot in the plant- no AC in here. Gatorade and water are encouraged, occasionally someone passes out." I'm sorry but what good is a union if your job allows people to pass out while they work?

Nah, give me my non-union MT gig anytime.

Leave. Give It Up. reply. - FactoryMary

[ In Reply To ..]
This is one of the reasons the jobs pays much better than transcription--the working conditions. Only the strongest are going to make it here. Some days are easy, some days are difficult, but I would do this any day knowing I am paid by the hour, and the production lines only went down at Christmas, and we were paid for that. Nah, I would rather work my butt off here than wishing and hoping for enough lines to type. Sorry, but medical transcription burnt me one too many times.

Great message--find what's right for you. You don't - make what I do, but I could not do your job. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Love it!..sm - OuttaHereToo

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so happy for you. I can relate to everything you've stated, and I'm on my way out as well, before the bottom completely falls out. I have 17 years in the game (..and that's exactly what it is).

Ditto to sm and FactoryMary - LTDN

[ In Reply To ..]
Meeting with local docs and getting their accounts in a day. I can't freakin' wait to get away from voice wreck and the company I'm with. They've screwed me over and I'm done with that...after all these years, now I'll be my OWN boss and not an IC. Man, this is a long time coming!! Wish me luck!!!

Being thankful to get a job where people occasionally pass out speaks volumes about Transcend... - Just My 4 Cents

[ In Reply To ..]
...and the state of medical transcription in general. I'm glad that you found a job that pays you well, offers good benefits, and gives you peace of mind.

wow, a company still on American soil, you must be in one of the - (very few) right to work states.

[ In Reply To ..]
congrats! sounds like a good fit for you and a weight has been lifted.

Right to work state - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
What does that have to do with jobs being kept on American soil? All "right to work" means is that you cannot be required to join a labor union.

Thank you so much for your post - USED TO BE PROUD MLS

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for coming on the board and posting. I can tell transcription is still a little bit in your soul. I have been in this business for a good 20 years and it took me a little longer than you to see that maybe this is not going to get any better. I am in my early 50̢۪s, but I would still be willing to do something that takes a little physical labor. I am in the process of looking into something else now. I do go to the gym and try to stay a little physically fit as this job sitting for 12 hours sometimes waiting for work; my body takes what feels like a pounding. I to am an MDI Transcend buyout peon. Most likely when I find something new I will visit this board as I truly did love what Transcription used to be when we were rewarded properly for our knowledge of the Medical and English language.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your comments. I am happy with the change I had to make for myself. Obviously going to work in a factory is not for everyone, but it works for me. Unfortunately experienced medical transcriptionists are no longer appreciated. I needed to face up to the fact that sitting and waiting for work was not paying the bills. It was a hard decision, but the right one for me. I can say one thing, as hot as it gets on the factory floor, the job of a transcriptionist is much more stressful as you wonder if you will get enough lines in to make a decent count. Good luck to each of you.

FactoryMary - Rottie mom

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, was an MDIer who left right after the merge. Is she sleeping well? Oh, yeah, 16 mil will buy you a lot of sleeping pills.........

Good for you - Shirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I just sent in an application to be a 3rd shift screenprinter. It pays less than I "could" make as an MT, but not less than I am making. The rate I'm going on SR today, I could put in 15 hours and still come up short. I've found this extremely unacceptable. SR is so unpredictable. Last week I was happily averaging $12-14 an hour. This week it's more like $8. SR learns? ha ha ha Forget it not learning medical language, I'm sick of fixing formatting that SR refuses to comply with. Sometimes that takes more time to clean up than the rest of the report.

I'm enough of an insomniac, I can most likely still pull off working 3rd shift, especially since it's a short commute - 5 minutes tops. I could also crash and burn at it, but I just can't not give it a shot.

unfortunate that "normal life" equals working where people "pass out" - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

[ In Reply To ..]
No one is making me, or anyone else do the job I do. The pay and benefits outweigh the not-so-good stuff, like boring work and too warm during the summer. I sit and analyze products go by on a conveyor belt right here in America. Beats sitting and waiting for transcription work that is going over seas. Transcription has seen its hey-day. It will be no more. I have a few working years left in me, and I think I should have made this move a long time ago. Again, my choice works for me. Everybody is different and has to make their own choices.

Similar Messages:

Why Would I Want To Leave MQ
Mar 21, 2010

In case any of the higher ups read this--here is the reason why I (and so many others like me) are leaving (I really think they don't see the big picture: 1.  Been with the company over 10 years, working more hours and making much less than the first day I joined the company.  No raise in over 8 years and 2 pay cuts. When you work at a job, you are supposed to make more money not less--we are going in the WRONG direction. 2.  No federal income tax taken out of my pay this y ...

Want To Leave MT
Oct 22, 2010

Hello, I am seriously considering leaving the field.  I have worked too hard all my life to subject myself to one more drop in pay.  Sometimes, we just have to make a stand and I think my time has come!  Luckily, my husband has a good job and I can afford to take some time off to take a class or two or start over in another field.  My question is what direction to go?  What field would make for the smoothest transition?  My friend who is also thinking of ...

When To Leave Your Job??
Dec 10, 2010

I like my job and the people I work for, but I just cannot seem to make enough money. I have worked for 2+ years as an MT and get 8 cents a line. My accounts frequently have new difficult ESL docs, so there is a major learning curve practically every day which of course brings down my line counts. The company I work for is regularly bashed on the boards here, but since pretty much every major MTSO is as well, I'm wondering if it's any better anywhere else. What have been other peo ...

Did Everyone Leave Their Job Sm
May 05, 2011

I am wondering if anyone quit the company they worked for, took time off and found another transcription job after a hiatus.  I am thinking about quitting the company I work for because there is no work.  I know the account managers have favorites and can control who they give the work to.  I heard this from an inside source.  Anyway I am finding it too depressing to sit here for very little work. If I quit do you think it will be any harder to find work in maybe a month. I a ...

Trying To Leave MT. Sm
Jun 19, 2014

Help with two underlined sentences below. Purpose and Scope:  The incumbent is responsible for data entry, record assembly/analysis for all in-patient and out-patient records deficiencies in Hospital system.  Notifications to physicians of the need for record completion. He/she may provide back up for the Record Completion Section and transcription process function.  I.          Position Requirements:      &n ...

Leave Of Absence
Jan 29, 2010

I'm at my wits end and so stressed out with all this NJA crud, struggling to pay bills, never knowing how much money I'll make from check to check, and wondering how long I'll even have a job.  I've decided to take a personal LOA to try to pull it together and destress.  I sent my CCM an email about doing it and why a couple of weeks ago. I've already put in for it at Hartford and they too sent CCM an email about it.  However, CCM has never gotten back to me yet a ...

Will EHR Leave MTs Jobless?
Mar 03, 2010

I just had a chance to see the NextGen EHR demo videos.  The incentives for using EHR from the insurances companies are huge.  It amounts to $3,000 per doctor per month. The doctor won't be able to fiddle with the computer to create EHR.  Even with the current dictation types, the doctor would make some sort of a note or something to remember the main paints to dictate.  This note is sufficient for the assistants to create EHRs.  Probably an assistant will be able ...

Wake Up: They Want You To Leave. Don't You Get It?
Jul 30, 2010

Why is it that MQ is still advertising on mtjobs that they have openings, yet the MTs already working for MQ have NO work?  Also, a friend of mine applied for clinic transcription there recently, and they put her through 2 interviews, only to tell her that they had no clinic openings.  I have heard that they are transitioning accounts to India as fast as they can (probably trying to catch up to that requirement that 80% of the work has to go to CBay/India).  So why are they still ...

When Is It Time To Leave
Sep 16, 2010

I work for a company whom I don't know anymore.  Like most I'm sure.  it was a good company at one time, but now I'm waiting for pay from July, August, and of course up to now in Sept.  I have had two pay cuts in the last six months.  People say go do something else.  I have been an MT for over 25 years and am now in my fifties. Not so easy to attempt to find something else in this economy and being single w/o another pay check coming in does not help.&nbs ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

Maternity Leave?
Feb 16, 2011

It's pretty bad that I get a response on here faster than I would if I talked to my supervisor or human resources!  Anyways, I am only about 4 months pregnant but I can't help but wonder what kind of benefits there might be.  I mean they can't really think that I can sit upright and type right after I have the baby.  I don't think I would have enough PTO to cover it.  It looks like this time they are thinking C-section so the whole sitting up for hours wil ...

Why Do A Lot Of MTs Leave The Punctuation Off?
Jul 02, 2011

I've noticed at most mtso's throughout the years - no periods on the end of sentences such as: HISTORY:   Headache   COMPARISON:  None  POSTSURGICAL DIAGNOSIS:  Same Is there a specific reason for this?  It's...well...certainly doesn't make us look good, that's for sure.    ...

Anyone Leave WMX And Then Go Back?
Aug 23, 2011

Were you able to get back on same accounts, keep rate of pay?  I don't suppose they would let you reinstate and keep your original date of hire for PTO accumulation purposes? ...

How Do You Get Your Family To Leave You Alone?
Mar 23, 2012

It's hard enough to get my lines in.  I tell my family I'm on the clock, I have to work, but they just don't pay any attention.  If they are here, they walk right in, sit down and start talking, even though they can see my fingers poised over the keyboard and my headphones on.  If they are not here, they call, and then they have to repeat everything three times.  I know I could clock out but I can't just abandon a job I'm in the middle of so even if I ...

If I Leave MModal, Do They Have To Pay Me My PTO?
May 20, 2012

I'm considering leaving MModal and giving 2 weeks notice.  I have 8 hours of PTO.  Are they legally obligated to pay me this?  Thanks. ...

I Can't Wait To Leave This Behind
Jul 27, 2012

I may miss working at home but I am so not going to miss transcription, and if they really want to hand it over to the Indians it won't be my problem anymore.  My god some of the reports I've seen, and if they don't care I don't either. ...

Wanting To Leave
Aug 04, 2012

What types of jobs can still be done from home and make a reasonable wage?  I've been a MT for 15 years, making less money now than I did my first months, and just really wanting to leave.  I would like to find something that can still be done from home, if anyone has any legitimate ideas... ...

Finally Going To Leave MT
Oct 15, 2012

I am so excited. I applied for a local position in a clinic and was hired! I originally was applying for a receptionist position but they bumped up the pay if I would get my recertification for MA. When I first starting thinking about leaving this profession, I was anxious about having to "be in the real world" again. But after sitting with no work, day after day, my wants in life finally outweighed my anxiousness on leaving MT/my house. I wish everyone here, those who are staying and those wh ...

How Much Leave Do We Get Each Pay Period?
Jan 02, 2013

I just used a bunch coming into the new year and Im loaded up again..Last company I worked for took mega line counts to get leave and I never got any paid leave, this is crazy.. Not that Im complaining ...

I Am Almost Ready To Leave This Job
Jun 29, 2014

I am asking this simply because I pay ZERO attention to emails the company sends out, I have sat here and simply done my job and kiss their tails because I needed the job..So now that I don't here is the question I have..Do I: 1. Start voicing my opinion as to their asinine audits and 99.7% accuracy garbage simply in response to the QC lead that sends them out or maybe cc some of the suits? Anyone have some names for me to send responses to. And then sit back and wait to be fired fo ...

Need To Leave Mmoral
Aug 05, 2014

I can no longer try to hold out at Mmoral.  I have been an MT for 23 years and am at my wit's end.  They have broken me and literally broken my family.  Lost my car, lost my credit score, and about to lose my mind.  I was proud to be an MT, but not working for this company.  Anyone can offer the name of a company where you are treated human, like you matter, like you make a difference in the company, are a team?  Please let me know.  I am losing myself day ...

Anyone Leave MM, But Later Came Back? Sm
Aug 07, 2014

I wondered if anyone on here had left MM for a different MT job that turned out to be a bust and then got re-hired back at MM.  I thought I had read where some were able to get rehired, but wasn't sure.  Thanks! ...

Anyone Leave MM For Another Job (not MT) And Then Come Back To MM?
Sep 30, 2014

Just want to know if anyone found working at home for MM more to their liking than working outside the home in an office job or other type of job. Thanks. ...

Family Medical Leave
Apr 18, 2010

Be sure you have enough work hours every 12 months to get family medical  leave if you need it. You will need to have 1250 hours for the past 12 months. If you work the 24-hour work week, you will have 1248 hours, missing two hours. While Medquist of course has the discretion of giving you family medical leave even with the 1248 hours, they are not required to do that. Then you will either have to let your relatives who need your help manage without you or lose your job.  At your CCM&# ...

"4 X 4 And A Leave In Dressing
May 19, 2010

Doing a wound care report.  The doctor is very clearing saying "4 x 4 and a leave in dressing".   Is "leave in" a type of dressing?  TIAAA♥ ...

Another Reason To Leave MT Field.
Aug 03, 2010

In our speech machines in DocQmanage Enterprise Platform, we can either go to  member longin or "About DocQment Enterprise Platform". In DocQment Enterprise Platform  it actually states "Solutions include interactive speech recognition for clinician SELF-EDITING" and shows a picture of 2 doctors looking at a computer screen editing.  Then go to upper right and open up Duke Primary Care and the case study.    Duke Primary Care improves their process with SpeechQ. Rea ...

Has Anyone Decided To Leave MT For Good Because
Oct 09, 2010

of no work, unable to find a new MT job, or simply sick and tired of it?  What did you decide to do?  I feel like I'm a bit too old to return to school (not to mention I couldn't afford to do it anyway).........  I'm afraid eventually (prob sooner rather than later) there will be no need for MTs anymore, either because they off-shored it all or hospitals go with systems like EPIC.  Does anyone have any advice for an ex MT on what type of job they could quality ...

Webbers, If You Leave Mid-month, Do You Still Have
Jul 18, 2011

I know medical and dental are covered through the end of the month, but I'm not sure about vision. ...

No Instructions On How To Leave Blanks
Dec 15, 2011

Hi, I'm a newbie. If an employer's test instructions say it is not ok to guess, is it ok to leave a "blank" with what you THINK the dr. said? In other words, perhaps like this: <tachycardia>, or is it better not to put what you think he said and just put a plain old blank? any help on this would be great. thanks! ...

Request Leave In Teamwork
May 21, 2012

I filled out the leave request in teamwork for a week off.  Actually a week off, unexcused absence without pay, will make time up, I'm part-time, CCM already knows about it from an earlier conversation.  I originally filled it out wrong but now think I did it right.  Do I need to inform CCM about it or will she be notified by teamwork?  ...