A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Every QA that I have talked to says they are sicking of QAing and wished they could go back to MTing - All you QAs, tell me some of the neg/pos.

Posted: Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told.

Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each?

p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided. 

QA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I love doing QA for many, many reasons. I love being able to use my knowledge to teach, to learn. It is nice to talk to MTs that are new to my account. I try very hard to let them know that I realize how ridiculously tedious the account specifics are, and I try to make myself readily available for questions. I love getting questions, actually. I also realize that I make mistakes, and when I do, I will let you know. I have no problem apologizing for messing up.

I do my best to understand that the MT is a person, just like me, and I expect the same in return.

My only one negative is that the MTs don't understand that we get audited as well on the jobs that we QA. I'm not talking about auditing, because at my company, QA does not do auditing. The MTs get upset at the nitpicking on feedback (I used to as well when I was an MT!), but I have to nitpick. If it is a job that I have to do 100% QA on, it is expected to be perfect according to the BOS, account specifics, etc., and I get marked off if it is not.

It's not fun to be told to your face (which I have on a couple of occasions) "I have no use for your feedback." That's fine. But, I have to send it anyway. It's my job, and I get called out on it if I don't.

I try to be uplifting in my feedback and not demeaning - no one wants to feel that way.

Anyway, bottom line, I love my job. It keeps me on my toes as far as all of the information that I get to research, and the resources that I have to continually refer to double and triple check the info that I put in a report and feedback. :-)

I loved doing QA. I stopped because so few - MeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
companies pay their QA by the hour anymore and I think that is totally wrong. I worked for a small company as QA and was paid hourly. That small company was bought by one of the monsters and plans were in the works to start paying QA per line.

QA people are paid to proofread, edit, correct, and educate. I'm supposed to do all that at 4 cpl? Nope, not me.

I tried finding another QA job that paid hourly, but openings were few and far between and a lot of the time companies promote from within which is a great policy, but not so great for someone on the outside.

Sooooooo, I went back to MTing. Since I think I've finally found a company I like, maybe I'll get the chance to move up to QA again in the future because I always loved that job. Who knows...

Agree. For 4 cpl, I am an editor. Period. Dont expect me to - email MTs with corrections and SM

[ In Reply To ..]
and explanations. If you insist, I insist on also recieving a trainers pay. I once worked on a new platform at a company and when I had questions, I was told "Try this" or "try that." Basically, I was developing the platform, I felt. Of course was just recieving edit pay so stopped working that platform.

I love QA'ing - Carol

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been a QA since I was out of MT school for a year and absolutely love it. Yes sometimes the MT's do make the same mistakes over and over, but it is your job to point those that are not implementing feedback to your supervisor. I love to mentor younger MT's and to help them become great MT's and that is what I get to do in this job! I say go for it!

Wow, you started QA after only 1 year of MT - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
I honestly don't mean for this to sound snarky, but how in the world can anybody do a good job at QA'ing when they're just 1 year out from MT school?

Maybe this is why some of my QA people drive me absolutely nuts. I've been an MT for over 30 years, and some of the "corrections" that my QA people make on my reports literally make my hair curl.

I started qa with no MT history but history of extensive work in - medical field. This was for small MTSO. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
gf

QA editor - sad

[ In Reply To ..]
LOVE QA, BUT cannot make any money any more correcting every single errors, plus 100% proofing and retyping ELS doc MTs fly through to just finish and get it out the door PLUS read tons of old reports to try to fill in DX and meds PLUS send feedback to MTs that cannot afford the time to both with what I have sent since their rates have been cut to. Soooooo, bottom line...I used to LOVE LOVE QA and for $18/hour I busted my butt, filled in every humanly possible blank from old reports, researching, etc., whatever it took. Now companies want all that same work and my 15 years for pennies a line?? QA does not produce, we check, recheck, correct, make the report readable and billable.

Similar Messages:

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

Have You Ever Wished You Could Thank A Doctor
May 22, 2014

I have to say with all the bad dictators out there, on this particular account I work on, there are about 3 doctors whom I really love transcribing, but there is one male doc in particular I love when I see his dictations come up.  I just want to tell him how fantastic it is to transcribe for him and wish he could train the other mumble mouths how to dictate.  ...

Just Had A Long Day Of QAing ILPs
Mar 04, 2011

Seriously, a lot of them were just like editing a so-so ASR report.  Punctuation awful, sound-alike words mixed up frequently (wear/ware/where, whether/weather).  Things are typed very word-for-word, like ASR would do.  Tenses are horrendous.  They can follow the CP though. Anybody who comes on here stating that ILPs aren't that bad and/or have better English usage than us have either never really proofread an ILP report, have proofread but aren't very good themsel ...

Do You Remember This Guy? We Talked About Him
Mar 25, 2010

Awhile back we talked about this Vance.  He obviously reads this board and writes his stories.  I know someone mentioned STEPFORD WIVES CLUB and he has used this term now.  He is a writer and will be speaking at the AHDI in Phoenix coming up. Also, any of you working for MQ, there is an AHDI meeting May 8th in Eugene, OR.  I AM GOING.  I am so curious to hear what they have to say and I might not be able to keep my mouth shut and they might not like some of the question ...

If Dr So Unhappy With OS, Where Is It Talked About? TV?
Feb 01, 2011

their complaints, cause there are none. Most reports are going to go in a file, never to be seen again.  They dont want to pay top dollar for a piece of paper in a file when they can pay OS less for the same thing. ...

Has Anyone Talked To Support?
Apr 02, 2012

Has anyone been able to get support to pick up the phone to let us know how long DQS will be down? ...

I Know This Has Been Talked To Death But Has Anyone That Had
Aug 06, 2012

their work go on Epic had a little bit of work left for them or nothing at all.  I guess I am just obsessing about this because I am going through it now.  I have posted before but just feel better when people that have worked with Epic can explain what I can expect or not expect.  I dont feel like looking for another job but maybe that will happen with all these jobs by 2014.  Isnt that when it has to be in place as far as EMR.  I wonder why my hospital picked Epic but ...

Just Talked With Tech Support
Jul 14, 2010

Thank goodness for this site, MTStars, to have any real-time communication. ...

I Honestly Believe That If Physicians/PAs/et Cetera, Talked
Oct 21, 2009

to their patients the way the transcribe, many of them would soon have no patients to worry about.  I'm listening to this one nut that is making paragraph a 2 syllable word.  He is pgraph.  How do these folks manage to get medical licenses.  They couldn't possibly have passed English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Need To Get Out Of MTing. What Do You Think...
Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career.  ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

What Happened To The Days When MTing Was An
Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on? ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

Home Depot, My Ticket Out Of MTing
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just b ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Back To Work After Back Surgery
Aug 23, 2012

Hello, I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 min ...

Dang It - DQS Back Up But My Job Did Not Come Back To Me.
Mar 31, 2011

. ...

I'm Back...I'm Back In The Saddle Again!!!!
Jul 02, 2014

Back to being an MT, and yes, I am excited about that. ...

Well, Back To NJA Again..
Oct 27, 2009

Oh dear, here it goes again. ...NJA and a whole week to go on this pay period.  Due to my sickness I had to take off my 3a-5a shift, but now cannot get work to make up.   I long ago used up all my PTO.   Arrgggghhh.  Arggghhhh.   Argghhhh.  Argghhh.  I am practicing my pirate sounds for Halloween.  I've already got the screaming banshee routine down so much I have nothing but low growly voice left. ...

I Wonder If They'd Take Me Back.
Jun 22, 2011

I quit last July because they couldn't keep me "transcriptioning," sent my resignation to my supervisor, and then received a letter in October stating that I was terminated.   Loved it!  And I'm thinking of reapplying.  Ought to be an interesting experience.. lol..  just love it!  I don't have anything else to do, and what other company would let you not work for 3 months before they terminated you?   Did I mention how much I love this ...