A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How do you get your family to leave you alone? - slave wages

Posted: Mar 23, 2012

It's hard enough to get my lines in.  I tell my family I'm on the clock, I have to work, but they just don't pay any attention.  If they are here, they walk right in, sit down and start talking, even though they can see my fingers poised over the keyboard and my headphones on.  If they are not here, they call, and then they have to repeat everything three times.  I know I could clock out but I can't just abandon a job I'm in the middle of so even if I do clock out, it will show up as that "not working" time whatever they call it, plus so often, my husband manages to come in to visit five minutes after I've just sat back down to work from a lunch break.  How can I make them understand?

how do you get your family to leave you alone - me

[ In Reply To ..]
1. Shut the door. Lock it if necessary.

2. Don't answer the phone, let the calls go to voice mail.

They will figure it out quickly enough if you enforce the boundary EVERY TIME.

You disconnect the phone, turn off the - alana

[ In Reply To ..]
cell, IM, email, whatever. Tell them they are not to contact you while you are working. PERIOD. If they bug you even after you've told them that,do not answer them or make eye contact. Charge them for the wages lost interacting if they continue to be rude.

What I would do - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't say if these are kids interrupting you, adult family members who live with you, or family members who live away from you but stop by to visit and/or call.

However, I would suggest 2 things. First off, don't answer the phone. Let the answering machine pick it up. If you feel it necessary, check the machine once or twice a day. When the callers ask why you didn't pick up, tell them -- you were working and could not be interrupted. Eventually, they should get the hint and stop calling during working hours, but if not, just keep letting the machine pick up. The only calls I ever answer are from my employer or the kids' schools.

Second, for those in-person visits I would simply tell the person you're sorry but you are working and cannot stop to visit right now. If it's a kid doing the interrupting - ask them if blood is involved or something is on fire. If not, then it will have to wait til you're done working. (Of course, this depends on the age of kids we're talking about too. Older kids - jr high and sr high - should be mature enough to understand that you are working and cannot be interrupted except for a true emergency) If it is adult family members, just tell them the truth -- you are working and cannot stop to visit, but will be happy to visit with them after your shift. If it is folks stopping by, put a sign on your door saying that you are working and cannot come to the door and then don't answer the door. If they do not know your work schedule, tell them now and then let them know that your new policy is that you cannot entertain visitors or take phone calls during working hours.

If you have a door to your office/work area, close it.

Remember, nobody can interrupt you unless you let them.

Agree and also consider this - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with what everyone said. All good tools.

You can gain some insight if you think about it from their perspective. Children are used to having access to you. You are there, therefore you are there. They do not see what is different. They just feel rejected. Somehow you have to communicate your need to them in a way they will understand. Not understand to leave you alone but understand why. Why you work and why you cannot be disturbed.

Perhaps an explanation to show that you get paid x amount per minute which shows them what you can and cannot buy for them during interruptions. Time the interruption. For this 1 or 5 minute interruption you did not get paid. That means you could not buy 1 of the 4 potatoes for dinner. Or the cookies for the week. For younger children get paid in cookies. For older translate money into things they want.

Explain it in a family meeting. If it does not work simply let the offender feel the results. At dinne that night, omit dessert because you did not earn enough to pay for it. Or the milk, mac and cheese, or chicken. This is not punitive, but just a real life demonstration of cause and effect.

Make a board with pictures of desirable everyday items. Have them choose an item to trade for the interruption. Is it worth it to lose their popcorn? Their dessert? Their cereal?

For your husband and other adults, consider that most people have jobs where they get paid for being there. They work, but can visit quite a lot. They are not on production. Nearly everyone has a job where talking is GOOD. Plus, you are at home so the distinction between working and not working is blurred.

They do not grasp the direct financial implication of a 3-minute interruption. They can phone Joe on his cell at work. Why not you? For those people, you may need to give them a demonstration of how you work and how close you have to pay attention.

Figure an amount and charge them. Make them pay right then, too, or they won't make the connection.

Start asking them if they know of any jobs for you. Expain that you may be fired for stopping work for the interruptions.

If your office is not separate and clearly identifiable as a work office, it needs to be. Too many sabotage themselves by working in areas where others are playing or eating or whatever. They thus do not appear to be working, so everyone thinks they are fair game. When you reject their attempts to interact, they respond as if you were just watching TV or dusting . . . with understandable hurt.

Use a stop light system - Works for us

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a woodworking friend make a wooden stoplight with painted discs that hang from nails to represent the stoplight colors. It hangs on the wall beside my desk. If it's green, go ahead and talk to me. If it's yellow, it had better be important. If it's red, there had better be blood and broken bones! My kids (ages 18 down to 7) seem to get it and appreciate it.

Lock the door, put a sign on it that says - "Busy Working, DO NOT disturb"...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and put your phone on silent or vibrate and if you cant do that then unplug it.

If there is no lock on the door, stick a knife in between the crevice and door to lock it.

Let them know your pay is based on productivity and you cannot afford to be disturbed while working, you are not paid by the hour.

Sometimes you just have to be firm (sm) - Auntie Anxiety

[ In Reply To ..]
My dad's so cute...when I told him a few years ago I'd be working from home, his response was, "Oh, good, you'll be able to visit more!"

I took a few seconds to process his response, and then said, "No, dad, it's just like working in the hospital, with a set schedule I have to adhere to, it just means I don't have to drive to work anymore, so it's more convenient for me."

I don't know for sure even to this day that he understands I'm "on shift" and not free to just sign off and on as I please, LOL!

The one thing I do is keep an IM open for family in case they need me for an emergency. Other than that, if my caller ID shows it's a family member calling, I just let it go to voicemail, then I listen to it when I finish a report to make sure it's nothing urgent.

I also have discouraged any and all drop-by company (not that I ever liked unannounced visitors anyway, so this wasn't too difficult to manage).

My husband handles "door duty" for the occasional solicitors and makes it quite clear they're intruding and makes sure they don't stop back by again.

You just have to be really firm, even with family and close friends, and let them know that when you are working at home, it's identical to working at an office, and point out that they wouldn't stop by to visit you if you were at an office, and it's no different at home...Work is work. Period.

I sympathize with your situation. It always amazes me that people construe "working from home" as us sitting around while our backsides spread and just "typing" whenever we feel like it when, truth be told, sometimes working from home and dealing with outside distractions can be much more stressful than actually being sequestered in an office.

Once they figure out you won't be answering the phone, coming to the door, or inviting them in for coffee, they'll learn quickly what hours are NOT good to contact you. You can even point out on your voicemail message something like, "I'm currently at work. Please leave a message and I'll call you back sometime after [insert time your shift ends here]."

Just make sure that there is a way they are able contact you if they need you in an emergency situation, and you can work away guilt-free.

Good luck!

Family and interruptions-sm - OlderMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I can relate to this! It is just me and hubby here and he is a real problem for me. He recently cut back on his hours at work, semi-retired now, and he constantly interrupts me. I have talked to him and talked to him about it and nothing changes. It would not do me any good to close and lock the door. He would just knock. I have been working at home for more than 15 years, so I would think that by now he would understand that my work does not lend itself to multi-tasking as in transcribing reports AND listening to him. I have little to no chance of getting into my zone when he is home. Another thing he apparently is clueless about. Since all my talks with him, his new thing is to announce his "visit" with "I just have one quick thing and I have to tell you this before I forget!" OMG! Are you 5 years old? So frustrating! I have informed him that he can write a note about things and we will talk later when I am off work! Now I am without a job. I lost my job in January but I'm working very hard networking, updating my resume, writing a cover letter, job hunting. It's stressful and exhausting. Still he interrupts. I am at the end of my rope. We had quite a tiff this past week about it. So, I'm looking for answers too. I do not know how to make it any clearer to him. I do not have much trouble with the phone. If I am super busy, I just don't pick it up. My children are pretty good about not interrupting me. Luckily, they are super busy too with their own lives! Ha! I would love an answer to this problem!

Similar Messages:

Family Medical Leave
Apr 18, 2010

Be sure you have enough work hours every 12 months to get family medical  leave if you need it. You will need to have 1250 hours for the past 12 months. If you work the 24-hour work week, you will have 1248 hours, missing two hours. While Medquist of course has the discretion of giving you family medical leave even with the 1248 hours, they are not required to do that. Then you will either have to let your relatives who need your help manage without you or lose your job.  At your CCM&# ...

Hate Having To Tell My Family To Leave Me Alone
Feb 02, 2013

I have told them, if my ears are in I'm working.  If I'm not working, I'm not making money.  I have only 8 hours in which to get this work done. But still, they will walk in here and start talking.  Then I have to tell them again, and that always makes me feel BAD! ...

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE FAMILY ACT LEAVE AND HOW IT IS HANDLED
Jul 08, 2013

may need to take a leave of absence for a while....I cannot find an employee handbook anywhere, was employed by Transcend when Nuance bought them out ...

Where Can I Find The Family Leave Form??
Nov 20, 2013

x ...

Do You Family Still Come First? I Would Like To Know!
May 01, 2010

After being at a company with no work and little respect for the MT, I decided to quit and find another job.  I have been testing great,passing the on-line tests easily,and getting interest, and job offers.  My only problem is that all the jobs offered to me are for the afternoon shift.  Please do not get me wrong, I will work afternoon shift if my kids do not have food on the table, but I would rather have my afternoons, evenings free to spend time with my kids after they are gon ...

Thanks For All The Comma/and Help Family
Feb 27, 2010

Now I have another one:  first or 1st? First metatarsal, or 1st metatarsal First rib, or 1st rib When should you use first and when should you use 1st?  Thanks family! ...

No Family Support
Mar 29, 2010

I was all set to just quit MQ this past weekend, I had just had enough, even though I don't have another job yet, but am finishing my courses, which I am almost done with.  But my husband got upset about being the only breadwinner and dipping into the savings.  I can't get him to understand what I have to go through.  I keep hoping they will just fire me or lay me off so I can get unemployment, but so far nothing, even though I'm certainly not turning in the work I ...

Death In Family
Sep 10, 2010

Does MQ offer bereavement pay?  I don't have any PTO time left, but have to attend a funeral out of town.  (another expense I cannot afford...)  ...

Does Anyone Do Family Practice?
Apr 30, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 7 years now, but almost all of that has been doing family practice work in SOAP note fashion.  When I first graduated I briefly did some work doing OP, H&P, discharges, et cetera.  I only did that for a short time and then started working at my current job. I have been with this small MTSO for 6 years doing family practice. I also did some letters and SOAP notes for peds endo for a while while doing the family practice. Anyway, over the las ...

I Guess We Now Dictate With Our Family
May 11, 2010

I just had an idiot dictating with what sounded like his whole family in the background, foreground, everyground.  Two young girls talking and giggling and then saying goodbye to each other.  Daughter talking to mother.  Some kind of beeping noise like a piece of heavy equipment backing up....beep, beep, beep, beep.  Dictator just yapping away.  How inconsiderate!!!!  Okay, I'm done.  ...

So What Happens If You Have A Personal/family Emergency ..... Sm
Jul 08, 2014

and have to take time off at the last minute? And have no PTO time? Will I be fired? ...

Family Insurance Coverage
Nov 07, 2014

Someone posted a message about a week ago that they were a single parent and could not afford the price of family coverage. Well, I am in the same boat. Family coverage with Nuance and most insurance companies I have checked out will cost me around 450.00 per month for just me and my son. But, I don't have to carry him under the same policy. If I take BCBSMA through Nuance and insure him under BCBSNC he is only 100.00 a month saving me around 250.00 dollars and month. I hope this helps ...

Oh Brother! My Whole Family Is Mad At Me For Working Tonight.
Dec 24, 2009

My husband has had it with this company and slave job and making half the pay.  He wants to go to church tonight and wants us to have time with family and play games and watch movies tonight, BUT I HAVE TO WORK TONIGHT AND TOMORROW MORNING!  Back to back.  Frankly, IT SUCKS BIG TIME!  Doctors and nurses have fun.  They get to talk to people when they work on holidays and give gifts to each other and listen to Christmas music and socialize while working.  Me?  I ...

The Family Wishes To Trim Her Pharmacal *pia*?? Thanks Nm
Jan 05, 2010

nm ...

S/l Keratin Malaysia... Just In Family History NFI
Jan 25, 2010

In the family history, just says "Father has s/l keratin malaysia" malashea... any ideas?  thank you ...

Capitalization - Family Planning Clinic ?
Oct 14, 2010

In a medical transcription report is "family planning clinic" capalized? Thanxs ...

Long Day..How Would You Type (this Is In Family History) Sm
Jun 03, 2011

father of the baby's brother had (this account is verbatim). Thanks so much! ...

$700 A Month For Health Insurance For My Family?
Feb 10, 2012

When I worked in-house at a local hospital until a couple of years ago, I was able to get health, dental, prescription plan, life, etc., insurance for my whole family (90%/10%) for only $250 a month.  The hospital paid the other half of the premium.  Unfortunately our nice little community hospital got bought out by a nationwide hospital corporation which had a preexisting contract with a national transcription company.  At first I was just like, well, here we go, I guess I'l ...

Company Question Regarding Family Members.
Mar 23, 2012

Does anyone have family members in the same household working for the same company?  Is this allowed?   Thanks ...

Did Anybody Else Get A Goodbye Letter To The Nuance Family?
Jan 01, 2014

nm ...

Some Seem To Think MQ Door Is KEEPING Them From Family Time, Decent
Oct 26, 2010

that door as an entry way to better things. Go through it to another job, one that fits you and your family better.  They are out there but it is not fun or easy to find them.  Some, it seems, would rather stay put and whine rather than go after what they want and deserve.  If it is worth having, be it a better job, better life, whatever, it is not gonna be handed to you and if it is worth it to you, it is worth working for. ...

Webmedx Says On Their Website That They Have A Family Friendly Schedule, Etc. But - Sm
Feb 15, 2011

I had a phone interview with them, and they don't sound like they're flexible AT ALL.  She even told me that they're not.  She made it sound like I have to be dying to miss any work.  They say they have excellent insurance, but their family insurance is around $700 a month!!  Plus she told me that I would have to type 7000 lines per week, but I saw on several posts on here that they only had to type 5500 lines.  So, I'm wondering if this company ...

Death In The Family And Cannot Find The Bereavement Policy
Mar 01, 2011

Just had a death in the family and cannot find the berevement policy.  Can someone tell me what it is?  In my state of mind can't find it. THanx ...

Patient Has A Strong Family History Of Breast Cancer With Her
Oct 29, 2009

brother positive for s/l "brach-a-dean". ...

Any Idea What Family Insurance Costs For Webmedx?, Also Line Rates, Etc.
Jan 20, 2010

Just looking for a range here if you don't mind.   Also, are they strict with their schedules? ...

Family Practice MT Needed For P.R.N. Work - Crystals Home Transcription
Sep 23, 2010

Has anyone applied and heard back from this company today? ...

Why Would I Want To Leave MQ
Mar 21, 2010

In case any of the higher ups read this--here is the reason why I (and so many others like me) are leaving (I really think they don't see the big picture: 1.  Been with the company over 10 years, working more hours and making much less than the first day I joined the company.  No raise in over 8 years and 2 pay cuts. When you work at a job, you are supposed to make more money not less--we are going in the WRONG direction. 2.  No federal income tax taken out of my pay this y ...

Want To Leave MT
Oct 22, 2010

Hello, I am seriously considering leaving the field.  I have worked too hard all my life to subject myself to one more drop in pay.  Sometimes, we just have to make a stand and I think my time has come!  Luckily, my husband has a good job and I can afford to take some time off to take a class or two or start over in another field.  My question is what direction to go?  What field would make for the smoothest transition?  My friend who is also thinking of ...

When To Leave Your Job??
Dec 10, 2010

I like my job and the people I work for, but I just cannot seem to make enough money. I have worked for 2+ years as an MT and get 8 cents a line. My accounts frequently have new difficult ESL docs, so there is a major learning curve practically every day which of course brings down my line counts. The company I work for is regularly bashed on the boards here, but since pretty much every major MTSO is as well, I'm wondering if it's any better anywhere else. What have been other peo ...

Did Everyone Leave Their Job Sm
May 05, 2011

I am wondering if anyone quit the company they worked for, took time off and found another transcription job after a hiatus.  I am thinking about quitting the company I work for because there is no work.  I know the account managers have favorites and can control who they give the work to.  I heard this from an inside source.  Anyway I am finding it too depressing to sit here for very little work. If I quit do you think it will be any harder to find work in maybe a month. I a ...