A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone interviewed for a medical - office position

Posted: May 29, 2013

recently?  I have an interview tomorrow for a front desk position.  I haven't interviewed in 10 years and haven't held a front desk position in even longer.  I'm nervous!  Any tips/hints for the interview?

interview - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I know what you mean. I interviewed for a front desk job a couple of years ago. Quite different than previously. Lots of psych-type questions and "How do you view yourself in 10 years?" "What would you say is your strongest personality pros and cons? etc. Good luck to you on your interview and remember they are only people too. Be yourself.

That "Where do you see yourself in __ years?" is - my most hated question. -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
How does one answer something like that? If I had that kind of foresight, maybe I wouldn't be stuck in this ridiculous MT trap. There's no way to prepare for those psych-type questions, either, and they always seem to come out of left field, when you're least expecting them. Once, when asked that question at a job I REALLY wanted badly, I said, "Hopefully I'll still be working here ___ years from now." The glazed looks on the faces of my interviewers leads me to believe that wasn't the answer they wanted to hear. Maybe they wanted me to say I expected to find the cure for cancer, or to be the CEO of the company or something.

I also hate it when you're applying for a job that has no management duties whatsoever, and they ask you all these questions like, "How many people have you managed at one time?" "How do you resolve employee conflicts?" "What policies/procedures did you implement that were successful, or that saved the company money?" Sheesh - if I could answer those, I likely wouldn't be applying for a lowly secretary/clerk/MT/receptionist job, would I?

Sometimes I think the only thing worse than rarely even getting as far as being granted an interview, is actually getting one.

hated questions - no $

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh geez! Just reading those questions gave me anxiety! LOL.

oh, I love that question ... where do you see yourself in __ years - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
At my age (59), the answer would be ... still alive, I hope.

First thing you need to do is research the company, and then have a list of 5 or 6 questions that show you've done your research. "Dress to impress" goes beyond what you're wearing.

Beyond that ... run those questions through Google and you can see how other people responded to them. At least it'll take the "edge" of what your answers should/could be.

Thanks! I was wondering what types of - questions they

[ In Reply To ..]
would lob at me. I have managed people but I was awful at it. I was the employees' doormat. Never again. I think I will be honest and say that in 10 years I hope to still be in the medical field but not necessarily as a receptionist. The thing is, I have a nice suit and a good resume, but I am really not attractive enough for a front desk position. I can fix myself up as well as I can, but I'm not going to come close to the polished-looking ladies at my doctors' offices.

Look up Performance Based Interviewing - for hints & questions

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I will do that. Thank you! - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

OMG - I just did that, and it made me queasy! - -(sm)- Testflunker

[ In Reply To ..]
I came across a whole set of Performance-Based Interview questions, with different levels of employment/difficulty from 1-5. I couldn't even answer most of the 1's! Worse, I recognized a lot of questions from higher levels that I'd been asked for an in-house MT position I applied for last summer, where the interview just seemed to go from bad to worse once those questions popped up. (And I had studied for several days beforehand, too - for terminology of the specialty, facts about the facility and the doctors I'd be working for, etc.) I had really wanted that job, and had driven 75 miles (1-way) to the hospital, too. Later, a friend who worked there told me that place was notorious for nepotism, and that I had most likely been given the "hard" interview, knowing I'd never pass it, and already having their desired candidate picked out. (Note to self: Never again apply for jobs in the U.C. university or hospital system!)
Beg to differ - Auntie Em
[ In Reply To ..]
I had a great job with the UC system, made great money. Hard to get in, though, I agree. I hope something even better opens up for you.
You're right - the money would've been great! - ($30+/hour!) But impossible to get in.
[ In Reply To ..]
For that job, I'd have had to be related to one of the big cheeses at the top. Or married to one of his offspring....

Questions - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been on quite a few interviews in the last year or so. I have not been asked where I see myself in X number of years, they usually start out with "tell me about yourself." I never know if they want personal stuff or work stuff. The other questions I've had have been the strength and weakness question and what do I think my manager/co-workers would say about me, yikes. Good luck on your interview, hope you get the job if it meets your needs. Something my brother always used to say, "you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you," maybe that is something helpful to keep in mind.

Yikes - I've had those questions, too, and they freak - me out, as well. Its hard not to - S/M

[ In Reply To ..]
giggle when I get the "What would your manager/co-workers say about you?" question. I think most of what they would say couldn't be repeated in polite company.

Same with strengths and weaknesses. I hate that one, because I know what my weaknesses are, and I'm doing my best to HIDE those weaknesses, so maybe I'll get a job! LOL! And there are MANY: I suck at multitasking because I'm probably an A.D.D. person - very easily distracted & knocked off-task. I get frustrated easily. I hate answering telephones - prefer nice silent emails. No matter how hard I try, I never seem to be able to totally pull myself together apparel-wise. The typical "business look" just doesn't work on me, and I prefer to dress young and in pretty colors, rather than dowdy, drab business suit colors. I don't seem to be able to get from point-A to point-B (no matter whether it's 2 blocks, or 20 feet) without getting a run in my pantyhose. (Why can't runs in pantyhose become chic, like ripped jeans?)

I've always been a person who "colors outside the lines" - and who was inclined to color the sky pink, and the leaves of the trees purple, because I just thought it looked better that way. I have trouble following directions - my mind jumps ahead, makes assumptions, and I end up doing it my way, anyway. Yet I'm good at solving physical problems, such as building things or making things work in a "McGuyver-esque" way, with whatever materials happen to be available. Unfortunately, that skill doesn't seem to win any gold stars in an office setting!
Something to consider. - Wow, are you my clone?
[ In Reply To ..]
You, my dear, sound like the perfect candidate for a garden center. "Building things" in my mind means creating container gardens and creative things in a larger garden. Business attire probably frowned upon. Seriously, think about it; I am. BTW, in my opinion, your probable ADD *is* multitasking. The weakness is not completing anything, but we will keep that little secret between us. : )
Interesting about the gardening center, because - I"ve considered it. The only - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
obstacle to that is the amount of time spent on my feet, which I don't know if I could do. The best jobs for me are either mostly sitting, or a combination of sitting and standing. I do light gardening at my apartment in exchange for part of my rent, and it's fun, but exhausting.

I hear ya on the never getting anything done. Nowhere is the ADD problem more apparent than when I try to do housework. If I look at the whole picture, it overwhelms me. So I start with something small, but then I'll look up and see something else that needs doing, start that, then see something else, and so on and so forth, until by the end of the day, countless tasks have been started, none have been completed, and I'm totally exhausted.

That gets further compounded when I'm going through a creative streak. Then I'll get hundreds of ideas for projects from sewing, to painting, to crafts, will be flying around in my head, and my living room is currently looks like a tornado debris field of craft and sewing supplies, fabric, sewing supplies, sequins, tulle, and other assorted stuff. Some half-finished, some started and abandoned, some finished and not put away yet.

There are many times when I envy people who can think of only one thing at a time, and stay focused!!

ah yes ... tell me about yourself - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
I got hit with that one by the HR interviewer and had brain freeze. All I could think to say was, "I'm an enigma" and "like wine, I'm an acquired taste." (weird, huh?)

BUT, the letter I sent the day after the interview gave me the opportunity to redeem myself. In one sentence I explained why I said what I did (didn't want to show hubris), and then I offered some specific personality traits that I have (from letters of reference).

Score!
I liked your answers! I'm stubborn, so instead - I tell them I"m tenacious. LOL!!!
[ In Reply To ..]
x

you need your resume to match the job - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
A resume that's designed to get your a transcription position is not the same as one to get your a front desk job.

With respect to managing people, try to think of how you would "manage" a difficult dictator and follow that premise. Resolve employee conflict? Okay, if you have kids or grandkids, how would you handle the situation?

I had one interview for an MT position where the supervisor asked me, "If so-and-so asked you to transcribe this or that dictator (bad one), how would you handle it? My answer was, "Let's talk to the supervisor first."

As far as the polished-looking ladies, I think most people would prefer somebody who *IS* nice over someone who *LOOKS* nice (but doesn't have an engaging personality).

I currently have a personal struggle between - projecting a certain image to -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
land a job, which as more time passes, I need more and more badly, and just being myself. The latter makes more sense when looking at the long-term, because I don't think it's possible to act, look, dress, or be someone else for a sustainable period of time. However, even though I'm not a one-eyed hunchback with foul breath and a forked tongue, just acting like my normal self (a little quirky, but hopefully in a good, artistic way) never seems to cut it. Employers these days seem to completely reject individuality, and want employees that fit an extremely rigid mold.

So far, even when I've been able to get one of those rigid jobs, I've never been able to stay there for very long. My pre-MT past is filled with jobs that lasted for 2 months, 2 weeks, and in one case, 2 days. That's why MT was such a good thing for me when I finally discovered it. It used to be very flexible, non-rigid, etc. Now, even with the lousy pay, they want all this compliance with a myriad of senseless rules and quotas.

I did one term of school recently, but have currently been taking a breather from that, too - because I just couldn't understand why everything had to be done just so, when often my own way worked better. (For me, at least). Meanwhile, I can't find a job that doesn't require those skills, so in a few weeks I'll have to go back to school again and keep on plugging away at it, as much as I hate it. All the while doing less and less MT work, and getting paid less and less. I've even looked into retail (which I know zero about!), and although I'm certainly capable of learning, they all want experience.

LOL! Even as I type this, I can feel my head starting to spin. Most days, it's like a big confusing maze, with no way out.
let me ask a few questions (and comment) - Snow Bunny (the original)
[ In Reply To ..]
1. What do you feel is in your individuality that a prospective employer might reject?

2. Why did your pre-MT jobs end so quickly?

Retail? Take the MMPI first. :}

What I did was type "medical records" into the descriptive section of job searches, and then I went immediately into the qualifications, THEN my focus was on the job description itself. No point in reading about a job that sounds fantastic only to get to the requirement section and discover you don't have what they're looking for.

Believe me ... I'm as quirky as they get, possibly too much. I suppose it's like this ... you don't want to present yourself like you're at a funeral, but you don't want to come across like you're at the office X-mas party. Enact the interview with friends who can be objective about how you are ... IOW, "love me less and critique me more."

Check out these!! - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTNOF77bMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCsBACZzDA

There's a whole bunch more to check out (been going through them myself).

Loved the Canadian woman in the 2nd video! - What a wry sense of humour!

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for posting these... off to watch more! :)

I agree! I watched several of her videos. She puts me at ease! - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
And I need to calm my nerves down before interviewing!

A good "Tell Me About Yourself" video (gives ideas) - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyww7eRVj3E

Another good videistory (pretty basic): Interview Dos and Dont's - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ucmfPOBV8

I have an interview tomorrow, too! First one so far... - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so nervous that I feel queasy!

I don't think anyone likes interviews - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
But go into it with the same mindset that you would if you have to handle a tough dictator. You ain't got no choice, so how would you make the best of the situation.

As I said above ... do your research about the company, first and foremost. Ask about management style, equipment, what is the highest priority during the first 90 days, etc.

Example: In researching one company, I found an article that talked about how another company redesigned the company's web site to make it more provider and customer friendly, which brought in more traffic. My question was, "In the X-months since XXX redesigned the company website, has there been an increase in revenue?"

And NEVER, EVER ask about salary or benefits. You need to show the interviewer how YOU can benefit THEM, not the other way around.

Asking about salary - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
Asking about salary is a difficult one. I've read some articles that say it is okay to ask and some that say never to ask. One article said it was appropriate to bring it up at the end of the interview where they ask "do you have any questions?" but don't make it sound as if that is the only thing you are interested in. I found that at some point the interviewer generally gets around to it anyway as they also need to know what would be acceptable to you. No one wants to go through the entire interview process only to find out later that the pay does not meet one's expectations. Another way around that would be to research that position ahead of time so you have a general idea going in. Employment is not a one-way street. The employer and the employee need to benefit each other, or it is not going to be a satisfactory arrangement.
Been there - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm really old school on this one. I would never ask salary until I had been offered the job, then I would negotiate to my heart's content.
That works - Been there
[ In Reply To ..]
I just started a new job (in October) but it was the same place where I had worked for 18 years before they closed our MT department. It was a newly created position and I knew the salary range. It tops out at less than what I was making as MT. I'm about in the middle of the pay scale but can probably work my way back up to some degree. I didn't negotiate because I'd prefer to have some leeway than be maxed out right away. Also, I was able to keep all of my accrued benefits, and that's a big part of my compensation. The other interviews I had prior to that, the interviewers were up front about the pay, I didn't have to ask. I suppose it all depends on what direction the conversation takes during the interview because every situation is different. Good luck to everyone with their interviews.
Correct, however, - Snow Bunny (the original)
[ In Reply To ..]
If you've covered all the necessary questions during the interview process, there should be nothing further that you need to ask.

It's accepted practice that the interviewer will approach the salary issue with you, as far as asking what you're looking for. I think they want to see if what you want gives them wiggle room. If the company is willing to pay between $25,000 and $30,000, they know if you say $12.00 to $14.00 per hour that you're in their ballpark. If you're looking for $15.00+ per hour, then you'll have to bring EXTRAORDINARY skills to the table before they'd even consider making an offer. This is where the research comes in. Glassdoor has a way for you to get a handle on salaries so check into that. Keep in mind location, 'cause what the Seattle, WA, office pays might not be what the Richmond, VA, office will.

And, yes, it's a 2-way street ... but in this economy the employer has the upper hand, so to speak. As much as the buyer does in the housing market.

Bottom line: Continue to garner people's opinions, keep researching, and trust your instincts.

I also have an interview today! - Lydia

[ In Reply To ..]
If someone would have told me I'd be applying for a medical records/front office job at this point in my life, I'd have told them they were nuts. Good luck to all of us who are interviewing today.

Did you have your interview? How did it go? - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I had mine about an hour and a half ago, and other than trembling, I did okay.

Similar Messages:

Wordzexpressed - Anybody Interviewed Yet?
Sep 10, 2012

They posted over a week ago and someone said they had over 200 applicants.  I am anxious to find out if I will be one of the lucky ones.  Has anyone been interviewed yet?  If so, congrats! :) ...

Anyone Interviewed And Or Accepted Job With
Oct 18, 2012

would like to know process? ...

Interviewed With Nuance This Week
Oct 16, 2013

I filled out the application and took the test even though I knew I didn't want to work for them.  I have read this board enough to know that they are no better than the awful company I currently work for. I'm desperate to get out of my current job so I've been applying anywhere and everywhere with a "you never know" attitude. So I took the test and I didn't expect to hear back, but I got an email that I had passed the test. Ended up scheduling an interview, even though ...

Has Anyone Interviewed Via Yahoo For An MT Position With CHS
Jan 30, 2014

I applied for a job on mtjobs.com.  I received an email for an interview via yahoo.  They want to deposit $$ in an account for me to buy "supplies/software/etc" so I can start my MT job with them.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  I'm sensing scam...... ...

Anyone Interviewed With SOAP Transcription???
May 28, 2014

I have a interview Friday with SOAP Tanscription and wondered if anyone can tell me a little about what they look for/ ask in the interview. Thanks so much! ...

Interviewed With Accentus After Passing Their Testing
Sep 17, 2012

I interviewed with Accentus after passing their testing. The interview seemed to go just fine. The recruiter said I will need to have a second interview with the account manager, and b/c it would be a new account, this could take 1-2 weeks. It's closing in on a week, and I'm wondering if they are really going to call me back? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks ...

SoftScript - Tested And Interviewed, Offered Job
Nov 15, 2012

Tested and interviewed, offered job.  No PTO until 2 years, then 1 week, then 2 weeks after 4 years?  Nothing is perfect, but that seems hairy.  Anyone work there who wants to comment?  Can you take a vacation with no pay every once in a while?  Any other comments from someone who works there? ...

Anyone Interviewed Recently With Soft Script And Found The
Oct 01, 2012

an isolated experience I had.  Maybe she was having a bad day?  I was just really turned off and think I will decline a position with them based on this experience.  Don't these companies realize the recruiter experience is the first face we see in your company?  Very disappointed here.  ...

Recently Interviewed With Superior Global Solutions
Jun 13, 2013

I recently interviewed for this company. Spoke with a recruiter and hiring manager. They were offering 2nd and 3rd shifts. They provide 12 PTO days per year to be used after the first 3 months, 401 K, and benefits. The accounts they offered me were 100% domestic; however, they do off-shore some of their other accounts. Both gals seemed very nice, but the pay is very low. They pay 0.38 cpl for VR edited lines and 0.83 cpl for transcribed lines with 90% of their work being VR editing. How can one ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

From Medical Transcriptionist To Medical Coordinator
May 19, 2011

Where can I get information about transitioning from a medical transcriptionist to a medical coordinator? ...

Help - A Non-medical Word In A Medical Report
Jan 25, 2013

It's on a wrist injury.  The word sounds like (it's slurred), but has the sound of - "inishits" The sentence is He has instability of the distal radial ulnar joint.  He had an MRI, which did reveal tear of the TFCC, which _____ with his clinical picture. Anywone have any guesses as to what that might be?  I'm just at a loss. Thanks,   ...

Scan Medical In MI - Anyone Still Working At Scan Medical
May 29, 2011

Is anyone still working at Scan Medical.  I lost my account and just wondered if she is getting more accounts. ...

Medical/Rx
Dec 21, 2010

I did some searching for older posts, but cannot seem to find a very accurate answer.  Will someone share how the health insurance benefits are at MQ?  Do you have to produce so many lines to qualify for insurance?  Do they offer Rx coverage?  Is it affordable?  Oh, how long does a new employee have to work before obtaining insurance? Any answer (s) is greatly appreciated. ...

QT Medical
Feb 06, 2011

Does anyone have any recent info on QT medical?  Thanks! ...

AP Medical
Mar 29, 2011

Has anyone heard of AP Medical in Pennsylvania.  Any info would be appreciated.  TIA. ...

Anyone In CA Who Is PT -- Do You Still Get Medical....
Aug 29, 2011

for PT?  I'm getting conflicting information from other employees, friends and my CCM.  CCM says no medical for PT and someone I know in HR says in CA you are eligible for medical for anything over 24 hours per week, albeit at a higher premium.   Yet another person says a company doesn't have to offer medical to anything less than FT.  Sigh......   ...

Another Medical Must, LLC
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone heard of this company? ...

Medical
Oct 04, 2012

Has anyone had any problems with medical issues with Nuance or Transcend either one?  Like if you had to miss  for doctors visits etc.  I do not want to go into details on here. ...

Medical INK
Apr 28, 2015

Anyone know if they assign you specific dictators or if you work from a pool? Also, is there a minimum daily line count? Thanks! ...

Medical Equipment
Nov 16, 2009

The patient should be on a s/l wearing program for his brace and s/l prayfolus.  Patient with flexion at the hips and knees and possible contractures. ...

Medical Acronym
Dec 02, 2009

Anyone heard of AYR?  What is it?  HELP! ...

Best Medical Dictionaries.
Dec 03, 2009

Does anyone know the best medical dictionaries to put in your computer. And of any other websites or links to quickly look up words in the fastest manner. ...

Scan Medical
Feb 04, 2010

Anyone that works for Scan Medical can you tell me how the work is there.  ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

Medical Terminology
Mar 22, 2010

Tachy palpitations is this tachy/palpitations or tachy-palpitations or one word? ...

Advanced Medical
May 05, 2010

Any info on Advanced Medical Transcription?  I applied and want to know if I should go any further. ...

Medical Transcribers II, Inc
Jun 23, 2010

I have visited their web site and seen their new ad. I was wondering if anyone who visits this board has any work experience/history with them. TIA ...