A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Going from MT to medical coding - Tam

Posted: Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job.

Thanks!

There's a couple of things you could do - Ideas

[ In Reply To ..]
You could check the coding/medical billing section here. Then you could call or e-mail all the coding schools and get more information. Some will be very honest with you and point out the advantages and disadvantages of a coding career. Others will just try to get you to sign on the bottom line. Some of them just have people answering the phone who don't know anything about coding. You'll know after you talk to them which ones you're interested in pursuing.

Medical Billing - Vikefantam

[ In Reply To ..]
Hmmmm. Well, if you're like me, you'll eventually burn out on medical billing, but I have serious ADHD and it wasn't diagnosed until last year. I was put on Vyvance and never realized that I could concentrate on 1 task at a time.

Anyway, coding pays big bucks in bigger cities. It's especially a good idea to become certified. My burnout was caused by my job itself - enter patient name, DOS, etc., put in procedure code, then diagnosis. My day was "John Smith, 99213, 728.71, date of service, etc. All day long. I get bored too easily for a job like that A word on diagnosis codes - you're going to have to know which diagnosis codes to attach to which procedure. For example, if a patient has pes planus (flat foot), almost no insurance covers that diagnosis, so you have to look for another one. If a patient gets foot orthotics, your diagnosis had better be plantar fasciitis or a couple others. You have to know which ins. companies pay for what diagnoses. I'm glad to be gone. My first love always was being an MT but with a military husband and us moving around all the time, I couldn't always find a job doing MT. so I ended up doing billing. Also, a lot of insurance companies like Anthem, Medicare and United Healthcare will download the payments, adjustments, etc. for you if you buy your software company's add on for that.

And keep in mind - ins. companies are a pain to deal with. I went to several billing seminars and at one, a girl, who used to work for an ins. co. told me that she was told to just throw away 1 out of every 10 claims. When we call about it, they just say they never received it. You see - it's an ins. co. tactic - the cost is high to appeal claims and something like 35% of the doctors just write off the claim when that happens. So they know they can save money.

Again, if you live near a big city, you can make big bucks if you're certified. A girl I know who is a CMT, works in Pittsburgh making well over $20 an hour. You see - the medical transcriptionists *cost* the hospital money. The coders and billers bring it in, so even though it's a warped reason, the hospital pays coders more. And what's ironic is they couldn't do their job without us doing ours - they have to look off of the reports for their procedures and diagnoses.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to E-mail me. :-)

I agree. Billing Not So Good But Coding Can Be. - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
I can see how billing could get old really fast. I did that for years. Coding still fascinates me though. I don't think I would ever get bored with Coding, unless I got stuck in the wrong job. As with any industry, there are good ones and bad ones, terrific bosses and awful ones. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing. At some times in my life I would have preferred one over the other, and then years later, my preference changed along with my needs, time and financial, etc. I hope that makes sense. I'm writing with what feels like a sinus infection and my brain is telling me it doesn't want to 'work' on a Saturday morning. :)

Medical Coding - MT who knows

[ In Reply To ..]
You know, I would really consider my options before I go into medical coding. Really, it is prime for automation and, frankly, I think that the system should do away with the diagnostic coding schema anyway. I mean where else in the business world is someone charged for a code that is placed in a "group." People (patients) should be charged for what they have done just like any other business. It should be a line-item charge just like everything else in the world. I mean when I get my car fixed or house worked on or whatever, I am charged for what was done and I can seem each item listed and what the charge is. If it were me, I think that the first thing I would work on with healthcare reform is definitely the medical billing and coding procedures, which seem to be setup not in the patient's best interests. For healthcare reform, I would actually do away with the diagnostic "coding" procedure and do something else -- more open and transparent.

I'm an MT student going back to school too...for HIT - mt2b

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi there, I am a current MT student who is planning on going back to school this summer to complete my degree in health information technology then plan on continuing to get my bachelors in health information management/administration.

I truly love MT but I don't see this career offering me the ability to support myself and my son. I do not want to struggle or be insecure in my job, and I see so many current MTs doing that. Not to say any job is 100% secure, but I'm being realistic with myself. I see the admin side of health care will offer me more opportunities.

Similar Messages:

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Looking For The Medical Coding Job
Sep 29, 2013

Hi everyone   I am an experienced medical coder(3 years) from India. Got CPC certification.  Is there any opportunity for me to work in US. If yes,  How should i proceed with?...What are the requirements.....Currently iam working in India... Kindly reply ...

Medical Coding Help!!
May 14, 2014

Hi I am currently enrolled in coding and scheduled for my CPC exam next month. I am so confused with all of it!! I really don't understand what you are supposed to code exactly from a note? Do you code everything, pmh, social history, procedures, impression, diagnoses? This is the hardest part for me, is knowing exactly what I am supposed to code. I had thought that it was just mainly the procedures and the disagnoses or impression, but sometimes it seems to be things listed in the whole r ...

Medical Coding Outside The US
Sep 17, 2014

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me! I am currently a remote coder for a hospital in NC. I am going to be moving to Costa Rica next year and am trying to find a contract company that will allow me to work outside the US. When I started my search I didn't think it would be hard, I figured with remote positons becoming so popular it wouldn't matter what country I was working in as long as I can connect to the internet. Unfortunately, I've called and emailed many companies and the ...

Has Anybody Been Trained To Do Medical Coding And Do They Like It?
Nov 10, 2010

Has anybody been trained to do medical coding and do they like it?  I am trying to figure out where to go next since transciption no longer pays the bills and I am sick of sitting down for 12 hours a day.  I am ready to work away from home.  I just do not want to invest time and money in classes where I cannot get a job or where the pay is worse that what we make now.  ...

Is Medical Coding A Better Way To Go Now Rather Than Transcription?
Mar 29, 2011

Is medical coding now a better way to go rather than transcription? ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

Medical Coding Classes
Jun 16, 2012

Trying to decide which online course for medical coding to take.  I am hearing Andrews college talked about quite a bit and have researched them but will not be covered by my FSSA grant. anyone have any input on online coding courses that would be covered by my FSSA grant? Unfortunately finances are a big determining factor. ...

Is Medical Coding Safe?
Aug 03, 2012

EMR is done by the physicians directly, will this happen to medical coding eventually too? ...

Medical Coding Salary
Sep 13, 2012

I was thinking of finding a course to take medical coding and wanted an at-home position in this field.  Can someone please tell me an average pay that I would expect to make?  I tried looking online and everything says "it varies", so just a ball park figure would be great, so I can decide if I want to pursue that or something different.  TIA:) ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

Medical Coding Is So Difficult?
Mar 15, 2014

Where I work, I do prior auths for various tests and procedures that the physicians order. We are in EPIC and in the patient's chart, all the diagnoses have the codes listed right after them and any new diagnoses listed on the orders also include the code. So when I go to start the prior auth, the only codes I have to look up are the CPT codes for the test, which are referenced rather easily in the CPT coding book. Just the other day I had to get pre-determination for testing on a pat ...

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Associates Degree Medical Coding
May 07, 2010

Im so confused, I keep reading on different forums on line how hard it can be to break into medical coding. Does having an AA degree help?  Is that a plus?  I see some on line colleges that are accredited offer AA degrees, AABS degrees, etc.....whats the difference? Is it better for a newbie to go straight to AHIMA and take their cluster of courses or take an on line billing class through one of the on-line universities, then go test at AHIMA and AAPC?  ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Medical Coding - Risk For Offshoring
Feb 21, 2011

I am speaking with a counselor at a community college about a medical insurance coding certificate. I am more interested in outpatient coding in an outpatient setting and earning the CPC credential for professional coders. I really do not want to work in a hospital again. From a current medical coder's perspective, is outpatient coding and CPC a good option as compared to inpatient coding? What about the job market? Is the job marketing pretty stable for outpatient coders, who are not worki ...

Medical Coding In A Small Town
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering medical coding training and would like some recommendations for good programs. Also, I live in a town of about 15,000. We have a small hospital that is on the verge of closing due to $$ problems so I wouldn't count on getting a job there. The next closest hospital is 50 miles away. Could I make enough $$ to make up for the commute I would have to do every day? ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Medical Coding - Do Any Of You Regret Becoming A Coder?
Dec 27, 2011

Do any of you regret becoming a coder? ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

Coding/Medical Billing Jobs?
May 05, 2012

How plentiful are the jobs for coders and medical billers? Currently I am an MT but looking into other career options. Thanks! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Medical Coding - Wanted To Get CCS Certification?
Sep 16, 2012

I have  been a medical transcriptionist for just over 10 years but I am now looking into coding.  I was hoping for some info on this.  How easy is it to get a job working from home?  Is it hard to get a job straight out of school? What  would be the best school if I wanted to get CCS certification?  I have heard that Andrews School was a good one but would love input from everyone.  Thanks! ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Is Medical Billing/coding Also Going Overseas?
Aug 03, 2013

gotta be honest, i despise medical transcription - booorrrrring - BUT i still want to work at home. i know coding/billing probably isn't any more interesting, but because i still want to work at home, i'm considering learning it. does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with it? if so, is it, too, also going overseas? are there any work at home jobs that are not going overseas? ...

Medical Coding And Billing Sites
Oct 07, 2013

Hello out there. Are there any medical coding and billing sites like this one. Any information on websites or where to look would be greatly appreciated. ...