A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe? - MTMT

Posted: Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it.

I dont know much about it but this is - what Ive heard

[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen ads for it in my area. I also saw on an actual local news channel, that a college course in it has been created for it. I'm in a rural area in the Northeast. They want 'students,' preferably, they've said...I've heard them describe it as "perfect for a gap year" (between high school and college---college/med school?)-- in other words, they want someone young. Now the question is why...my guess is, typically, because it's low-paying, however, you say your proposed pay is good. Second, my guess is they work you to death--you literally follow the doctor or PA everywhere, shadow, going into all the rooms with live patients (presumed live) and enter in data, etc., perhaps what patients are saying to the doctor, too, in 'real-time'--I'm not sure...you're on your feet, I presume, all the time. I have also seen ads for 10-hour days, I guess 4 days a week. I have seen 7:00 AM-5:30 PM (GAG ME)! Also, I suppose there's no real room for 'growth' unless you become a PA or doctor, and that's why they want a 'student'-type as well. Personally, I couldn't do it in a million years at this point at my age. If you're 40 or younger, I'd say check it out, I probably would have at that age, but not 40+10ish, as I am now UGH! LOL! How things change in this dreadful decade...GL-- let us know; I say do it if you're able!

I see the ads, but that job doesn't interest me. - sm - Silly Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only because of the low pay, and having to be in proximity to colds, flu and worse every single day, but having to do the work of an MT while standing up all the time and chasing after the doctor makes me tired just reading about it.

Really... I would rather work in - fast food or retail

[ In Reply To ..]
than this. Just because it's in a hospital doesn't make a low paid job any better, unless maybe you get better benefits.

scribe - reta

[ In Reply To ..]
It just doesn't make any sense to me, that our positions as MTs have to be so devalued in order for something like this to come in. They're doing as scribes the very same work we are doing except doing it in an office. Sometimes it's almost like they will do anything to eliminate our jobs, even to the point of renaming it and making it into something like this. Why make it so we can't hardly make minimum wage to create a job like this, which is somewhat higher paying? It just seems like a lot of discrimination against our jobs as MTs.

Pay - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It isn't really what I would consider a low-paying job. It is starting out at just under $15/hour. I'm in a very rural area where there are very few jobs that pay more than minimum wage and transcription jobs pay less and less every year (at least mine have). I think I'm gonna check it out and see what they have to say.

Similar Messages:

If I Was Let Go Of A Home Medical Transcription Job...?
Mar 06, 2010

In previous posts I mentioned that I was let go of a home medical transcription job because I didn't produce the "perfect" amount of work that was needed right away... Anyways, as I mentioned previously, I got this home medical transcription job only a month after I graduated from Rasmussen College and was let go just last month. The story was, when she first hired me she said it would take me 6 months to get perfect at my job, then after the first month she told me she needed me to be per ...

Medical Scribe - New Transition From Transcription
May 14, 2013

Seems to be the new transition from transcription. ...

Working From Home Medical Transcription
May 21, 2014

I have put together a list of work-at-home companies, some transcription but I tried to not include companies you would already see on this site, and some not.  I cannot vouch for any of these companies but I did get them from 2 different sites that were said to be reliable (i.e., not schemes).  Please reply by email if you would like me to email you my list.   ...

Medical Transcription Working From Home
Jan 21, 2015

i am currrently in school how hard is it to get a job from home in transcription or coding? ...

Would You Still Recommend At-home Medical Transcription, In 2011
Nov 05, 2011

I was trained as a Medical Transcriptionist at a two-year college from 1990 to 1992.  I worked at a hospital for a couple of years doing radiology, non-invasive cardiology, and neurology transcription, then I got married and moved.  Soon thereafter, I started work at a mental health clinic as a Medical Transcriptionist with 12 other transcriptionists.  This was in late 1993 and I am still there as of right now.  The 12 transcriptionists have either left or been laid off over ...

Looking To Start Typing Medical Transcription At Home
Jun 21, 2013

I am looking to start doing medical transcription at home. I have 8 years experience in a family physician's office. How do I get started? What is a fair wage?  ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

I Just Saw An Ad For A Medical Scribe
Jun 25, 2010

I just saw an ad for a Medical Scribe.  The description is that the MT accompanies the doc from room to room to see patients, sits at the computer in the room and transcribes the H&P/procedure while doc is doing the exam.  Starting pay was $17/hr with full benefits.  Anybody ever heard of this?  I think it's a good idea, leaves the doc hands free to tend to the patient.  It sounds a little like being a court reporter as far as "live" dictation being done. ...

Becoming A Medical Scribe...
Jun 06, 2014

Has anyone considered becoming a medical scribe, currently a medical scribe or know of someone who is?  Pay scale?  I'm thinking of turning my career in that direction and gathering as much information as I can.  Thanks!   ...

Medical Scribe
Mar 12, 2015

Hi everyone - I am a long term lurker on this site. I have been a transcriptionist for 24 years, working as an independent MTSO, inhouse acute care, working at home for acute care, and also for several online companies. I was burned out and gave up transcription to become a personal care attendant, which I loved, but it cut my pay in half. I then got hired as a medical scribe for a cardiology group and I just wanted to tell you how invigorated I have become and now in love I am with this positio ...

Medical Scribe Job Openings
Apr 23, 2011

I have been seeing more and more job openings for Medical Scribes.  They are even showing up as part of other job descriptions.  The ads that are strictly for a Medical Scribe state no prior experience needed and sometimes only a high school diploma as their only requirement – no Medical Transcription education or experience.  Pay $10 an hour.  Anyone else noticing this?   One of many ads I am seeing:  …full time Registered Nurse for an office/c ...

Anyone Looked Into Being A Medical Scribe?
Dec 04, 2014

Just a thought, has anyone looked into being a medical scribe?  I am not sure what the difference is compared to what we do as MTs.  Do any of you?  There seems to be more of a need for them out in the real world.  ...

Medical Scribe Responsibilities
Mar 15, 2015

Just saw an ad in my rural area for a scribe, M-F, 7-5.  Isn't that 50 hours a week?  I've been wondering what the responsibilities of a scribe would be, though this could certainly vary depending on the practice and its location.  This practice is paying $8/hour.  How on earth would a scribe write/type fast enough to keep up with real-time conversations between doc and patient, and get everything in the record before being rushed into the next patient visit?  At least MTs hav ...

Medical Billers AT HOME
Jun 02, 2013

I have medical accounts receivable and payable, does anyone work at home doing billing and WHO do you work for. Thanks :) ...

Was Looking At Medical Scribe Position Last Night
May 23, 2012

Has this been discussed?  This looks like something we could do. ...

Local Hospital Looking For Medical Scribe
Oct 01, 2012

Anyone down what an MA certificate is. There is a local hospital looking for a Medical Scribe. It looks like there is where MT is heading. Any thoughts or comments? I am wondering if I should pursue this. I have a straight typing job now, but when it ends, as they all do, I want to still use my skills a job outside the home. ...

Medical Transcriptionist Who Wants To Work From Home
Jan 21, 2010

Hi! For a medical transcriptionist who wants to work from home, is the cost very expensive to have the company install their software in my Pc, and is the overhead expensive each month, such as telephone, internet, and electricity?  ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Work From Home Medical Coders
Mar 30, 2012

Can anyone tell me if there really are "work from home" medical coder jobs out there similar to how MTs work from home, and if so, what companies hire work from home coders?  I have been an MT for many years and need a change.  I have had formal education for coding (I went to and graduated from a college, not an online school) but have had no luck at all in finding a coding job let alone one that actually allows you to work from home.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. ...

Work From Home Medical Billing
Jun 06, 2012

Are there any legitimate work from home medical billing or data entry jobs out there? I've searched and all the ones I find want money upfront. I have six years of medical billing experience and I want to put that to good use. Thanks! ...

Does Anyone Work At Home As A Medical Coder?
Aug 22, 2012

nm ...

Medical Coding - How To Search For Jobs At Home
Jul 21, 2010

Hello, I am a MT and wanted to also do coding, could you please tell me how to search for jobs at home once I am done with school ??  Does anybody have a board for coder jobs thanks so much ...

Im An LPN But Am Looking For Work From Home Due To A Back Injury. Is MT Right For Me Or Is Medical B
Oct 26, 2010

I have been an LPN for 8 years. I have 3 children ages 3, 7, and 12. I recently injured my back in December on the job at a nursing home and I am interested in working from home. I just don't know what to do.  Is MT better than billing/coding?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also suggestions on what school/online program to go through would be great also.  Thanks! ...

Work From Home Medical Coding Or Editing
Dec 29, 2012

Medical Scribe Position Advertised In Dallas Area
Oct 31, 2011

Saw these ads posted in a Dallas paper: Ad #1 Medical Scribe Position We are a high volume podiatry practice in the Irving area. We are looking for an individual with a strong work ethic, good communication skills, and an ability to multitask. The scribe works to facilitate patient flow through the clinic and ensure an acurate and complete medical record for each patient. The scribe assists the medical provider by accompanying them during the medical history taking and exam, recording de ...

What Licenses Do I Need To Start A Medical Transcriptionist Company From Home?
Jan 06, 2012

I am interested in starting a small transcription company in my hometown. I will be advertising to the doctors in my town. I was told to check with my local City Hall. I have been transcribing for 12 years for a local hospital, but I am interested in venturing out on my own. Thanks in advance for the advice. Mel ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Anyone Pursuing Finding Work As A "medical Scribe"?
Jun 24, 2012

I've seen reference to this career path from time to time here....wondering if there's anything new to add?   I have a friend who recently went to work as an MT for a doctor's office.  She's typing the minor emergency room notes or same-day surgery notes or something like that.  Their PCPs do their own EHR, but she said the doctors really dislike having to do it, and it reduces the number of patients they can see each day.   As the EHR is implemented mor ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...