A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is a fair hourly rate? - Anon

Posted: Mar 29, 2014

Can anybody please tell me what is a fair hourly rate for a transcriptionist in a single-doctor office in Texas? The last time I worked as an MT in a clinic was 18 years ago. I then worked for a large hospital and made about $9 more an hour than my highest clinic pay. After getting laid off, I worked for N for a few months and have been out of the MT field for a little over a year. Thanks in advance!

I was only making $10 an hour after 13 years - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
at the same doctor's office until 2 years ago. Then they were all going to electronic records and no longer needed transcribers.

Wow, thanks! - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I made $13.25 at a four-doctor clinic 18 years ago as their only MT, which wasn't enough $ back then considering the amount of work I did. I have been an MT for 30+ years. I have an interview next week and have a strong feeling they won't pay what I want and am wondering if I'm expecting too much. It appears I am, unfortunately. Thanks so much!

11 years ago I was only making $8/hour at the hospital - transcribing. I make much more

[ In Reply To ..]
with an MTSO. Just sayin.

I made $14 and some change plus incentive at the - hospital I worked for. Obviously it

[ In Reply To ..]
Varies depending on hospitals and location because I made wonderful money and there were people in the dept that made more hourly than I did and we got incentive every pay check as long as we made production.
This is close to what I made... - (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
Just like this poster, I made base pay plus incentive at the hospital. I made $15.68/hr plus incentive which varied from check to check but generally averaged anywhere from $19-$22/hr. I was at the top of the pay grade, though, having been there 18 years.

I knew I could never start that high with a new employer (when we all got laid off from the hospital), but with the MTSO we got outsourced to, I was making about $10/hr. But, if I counted all my NJA time waiting for work, my "actual" pay was only about $5-$6/hr....totally unacceptable, even for a job at a local retail shop!!

I now work for a specialty clinic, in-house, doing editing on their EMR letters and make $14/hr. That seems to be about the going rate for starting pay around here, for an experienced MT. Not as much as the "good old days," but it sure beats the MTSO where I worked.
I probably should add... - (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
....that the specialty clinic where I work has 9 doctors, and that's a LOT of work for one person to handle....a LOT of work. Really too much for one person...I work nonstop for 8+ hours a day. Supposed to only work 1/2 day on Fridays, but it never works out....always too much work to leave undone. Even when I put in close to 40 hrs/week, I work very hard, nonstop, and I'm never 100% caught up. They REALLY need at least one more PT person, which would better for them than to lose me since I work very hard for them and do a really good job...management has no idea! :-D

I got off track here, but I mostly meant to say that with only 1 doctor, $14/hr might be more than they'd be able to pay....just a thought.
I know what you mean - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
In case this doesn't post in the right spot, I'm replying to the MT who works for a 9-doc clinic. I KNOW what you mean! When I worked in the 4-doc clinic making $13.25/hour, I worked nonstop (was the only employee in the office who never had time to chit chat with co-workers). When I quit, they hired THREE people to take my place! I'm doing insurance now and also work nonstop every second of the day while my co-workers have plenty of time to screw off, text on their cell phones (against the company policy), get on Facebook, read magazines, etc. It's SO aggravating. I don't mind working hard, but I HATE insurance, so I'd rather be working hard as an MT.

I think $10 is pretty low but I have never done MT for - a clinic. Maybe..

[ In Reply To ..]
$13-$14?? To start depending on the cost of living for your area. I would imagine even $12 with guaranteed work & decent benefits would be better than working for an MTSO.

You are spot on! - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I think your estimate is just about right. See my post just above yours: "This is close to what I made..."

Thanks! - The OP - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it! I'm thinking about canceling the interview as I have to take time off work to go, but if I don't go, I'll never know if I'm missing out on a good opportunity.
Don't cancel, see what they are talking about. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
If you have an interview, don't cancel! You'll never know if you don't try... - I would jump on it if I could nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Interview - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The interview is tomorrow. I'll let you all know what the pay is. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for all the input!

Similar Messages:

Update On Fair Hourly Rate Question
Apr 05, 2014

Last week I asked what you all thought was a fair hourly rate for a one-doctor clinic MT. I went to the interview on Tuesday. The job ad was for a "medical records transcriptionist." The office uses an EMR. The nurse practitioner uses the EMR, but the doctor uses a piece of paper that resembles the EMR screen and checks the appropriate boxes and writes additional comments. The job is to take those papers and input the data in the EMR. It's not actual transcription, no headset or foot pedal ...

Fair Line Rate For SC
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT Business and want to make sure I am not over/under charging.  I was thinking 12 cents a line.  Is this too much/too little? I am currently working for a MT business and I am making 8 cents a line but that company is located in Virginia so I cannot really use them as  comparison of what to charge the doctor's offices.  Please advise! ...

Fair Cpl Rate For Newbie?
Mar 02, 2011

Just got a small temporary job helping a doc catch up on a backlog.  I will be working as an IC and the job is pretty small.  What would be a fair cpl rate to charge?  He's a friend from college, so he told me to name my price.  I'm a new transcription graduate with 2 advanced degrees.  Thanks!! ...

What Should Be Expected As A Fair Rate Now
Sep 15, 2011

I have never seen pay so low for MTs....I am really pretty shocked to see some of the rates.  I do realize that good ol' 11-12 cpl is never going to be coming back, I know the economy is not good for anyone, businesses included, but I really am wondering how low can I go and still make a decent living?  Now I am talking about somebody with a lot of years of experience in all fields.  I am thinking no lower than 8 for me, and even that makes me cringe, and I am trying to psych ...

Fair Line Rate
Feb 17, 2013

Can someone give me what the fair line rate is for straight typing?  I was paid an hourly rate in my previous position, eliminated due to Dragon, and now looking for work.  I have been offered 9 cents per line, straight typing, no ESL.  I did some searching and it looked like 9 to 18 cents per line, but that's an Internet search, so not credible.  Thanks!  Going to take the position, because I think I can do okay.  Not the big checks, I'm used to, but see ...

What Is A Fair Rate Per Audio Minute? Is 0.6 Okay? I've Never Been Paid That Way Before
Apr 05, 2014

nm ...

What's An Hourly Rate?
Dec 26, 2009

I am thinking of getting into medical transcription but all I read on here is negative posts about how little work is available and how you are all getting paid less than you were last year.  Now, please don't flame me, I know this is a cheeky question, but to be quite honest ".08 cpl" doesn't mean much to me.  Would anyone mind telling me what they actually earn per hour (when the work is there) and how many hours per day they generally work.  It will just give me an id ...

Hourly Rate For MT
Dec 23, 2012

Are there any companies that pay hourly for MTs and/or QA? ...

Hourly Rate?
May 28, 2015

How often is the hourly rate supposed to be re-calculated.  My production has been up but that hourly rate has not changed for some time.   ...

Fair Rate For Straight Radiology Transcription Per Report
Apr 05, 2013

What would be a fair rate for straight radiology transcription per report for a well-seasoned, part-time employee working every Friday and Saturday from 3P to 11P? Thank you. ...

Hourly Rate Versus Cpl
Mar 01, 2011

Been at a cushy happy place clinic job for a few years, no audits, laid back, nice.  Making 18 d/h.  Type the same stuff, over and over.  Boring, but no nail biting.  I produce 300+/hr.  Should I take a position from home?  Will I be making a mistake? I need some opinions pleeease. ...

What's A Fairly Hourly Rate?
May 19, 2011

I've been out of the transcription loop for the last 2 years while I've been getting my registered nursing degree.   I did transcription for 20 years until I got tired of the nonsense.  I'm done with school, studying to take my boards, but have been offered an hourly part-time position.  Can someone tell me what hourly pay is going for now?   I was production paid for most of my transcribing years for the last few years I took an hourly employee ...

Average Hourly Rate
Jun 29, 2011

I'm re-applying to MQ as I desperately need a job.  My question is, are you all able to make at least $10.00 per hour still??  I ask because in searching around, it looks like $10.00 is the best I'm going to be able to do.  I do radiology so I will probably end up doing a lot of editing which I have never done before, so I'm just curious to see if $10.00 is realistic doing both straight typing and/or editing?  Any info appreciated.  Such a shame that its c ...

Does Nuance Pay Hourly Rate?
Feb 10, 2012

I've seen several posts mentioning this.  I'd probably make more money hourly than this 4 cpl editing I have to do.  ...

How Is The Hourly (PTO, Holiday) Rate
Jan 28, 2013

Do they just average the pay for the month of January or do they go back a couple of months?   ...

Pay By Line Versus Hourly Rate
Sep 16, 2010

Hi all. I'm a newbie to these boards. I've been reading all the posts here about the VR programs.  More production + more hours = less pay. Does anyone here work for a company that has gone to an hourly rate instead of pay per line?  And if so, what are your thoughts/experience on this?  I'm working for a company that has changed us all over to hourly pay and I'm still very unhappy. ...

Is An Hourly Rate For QA/editor Unusual?
Jul 11, 2011

Also, how much experience do Account Manager/Shift Manager types have?  Years ago I worked for a couple of MTSOs and my "supervisors" had less experience than me (and would have to ask me to figure out blanks in reports) so I'm guessing its often just a matter of how long you've been there and who you know and sometimes how much you're willing to put up with (one supervisor bragged that she worked about 20 hours a day). ...

Regarding Hourly - They Upped Line Rate But...
Dec 01, 2011

... it is still not possible to make minimum wage even for those of us who edit VR at lightning speed, because there is no work during many of the shifts (mine).  I've been promised another account, told no other shift is available.  A line rate increase will not help me at all.  They have sent most of the work overseas now, lost a few accounts, and cannot afford to lose all US MTs.  I am aware of nine others besides me, who have lawyers. Quick, numerous complaints from ...

Hourly Rate For Editors At Nuance
Mar 05, 2013

Anyone know what the hourly rate is for editors at Nuance?  I don't want to waste time applying if not good.  Do you run out of work there?  ...

What's The Starting Hourly Rate For QA At Nuance?
Apr 16, 2014

x ...

Where Can I Find My Hourly Rate On Ultipro?
May 29, 2015

x ...

Avg Hourly Rate For Hosp Emp MT Who Works From Home?
Jul 26, 2011

Or where can I find out for myself please?  I just need a range. ...

Do We Get Paid Our Full Hourly Rate For Down Time
Jan 12, 2013

Do we get paid our full hourly rate for down time? ...

QC Editor Position At Nuance Hourly Rate
Aug 15, 2014

The Nuance QCs are paid hourly, anybody have an idea what the range is? ...

Hourly Rate Is Just Barely Above Minimum Wage In My State.
Jul 11, 2014

I am truly at a loss to understand why my pay continues to decline. I thought I already hit rockbottom. I am averaging far, far less than I did 30 years ago. ...

What Is Average Hourly Rate Paid By Major Healthcare System
Oct 26, 2011

for transcriptionists.  Always been paid by line count production and now I am looking at an hourly rate.  Company won't tell me pay rate until interview.  Afraid that it will only be like $10 an hour and don't want to bother with interview if it will be too low.  ...

She Dictates "He Is Fair Com Plected" Meaning He Has A Fair Complexion
Feb 08, 2010

Good morning all - I'm trying for a dermatologist today.  Not my usual account.  She dictates "He is fair com plected" meaning he has a fair complexion.  What is the right way to spell complected? I googled it, came up with a lot of variations and nothing concrete.  Thanks for your time!  ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

ORO FAIR NIX
May 20, 2010

... when dictators say "ORO-FAIR-NIX" for oropharynx or "LAIR-NIX" for larynx?  When they think of lynx do they say "LNIX" or manx and say "MNAX" ??  :) ...