A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How do they call this fair? - Irritated MT

Posted: Aug 15, 2013

So, I have a VR job and the VR is just bad.  I FINALLY got to where I could make around $11.00 per hour and was thinking okay, maybe this won't be so bad.  Well, just as I got up to where I could make a decent living, my MTSO decides to do a random audit and completely tore my reports apart.  There were NO critical errors and no errors that affected the content of the report, just things like commas in the wrong place, using a comma when dictator said "and" and other simple things.  I get an email from my supervisor saying that my skills are great and even though there are no errors that affect the content of the report (her words) it is IMPERATIVE that it be corrected exactly how it is dictated.  She said all of my reports would be reviewed and if I didn't get the QA score back up, I would be fired.

So, I stopped for every single comma, etc. and produced perfect reports at $5.00 per hour!!!  I cannot make more than that, because there are SO MANY corrections in the reports, it is impossible for me!  I get another email from my supervisor telling me what a great job I have done in correcting my errors, taking me off of QA and basically saying "Great job, keep up the good work".  Now, so I should produce PERFECT reports for a company while it is ME getting the short end of the stick not even making minimum wage?  Do they see nothing wrong with this?  I mean, she acts like "problem solved" or something, forget the fact that I am no longer making any money?  How is this fair?

Fair? - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
What does fair have to do with anything? I suggest you exit that mind set immediately.

I average $10-12/hour. sm - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
It took me well over 1 year to get that far, this being the first time I have ever done VR. I don't give a rat's behind about mark offs for commas, etc. If they don't like my work, they can fire me. I was looking for work when I took this job anyway.

I used to love being a MT - now, I can barely make myself sit here to work.

that's why I spend so much time on this board - I can't sit here! nm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Me, too. - nm.
[ In Reply To ..]

You sound like my grandpa. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

were you reared by your grandfather? - Was

[ In Reply To ..]
he the only adult you ever conversed with? It is fine to be enraged about unfairness, but to whimper "its not fair" is childlike. There is no pity in the workplace.
I never said anything about "unfair," I am not the - same poster.
[ In Reply To ..]
How does one "whimper" on the internet, anyway?

Get off your high horse, Gramps.
derogatory remarks about - the elderly
[ In Reply To ..]
are so-o-o unfair . . .!
Nobody "whimpered" - MT99
[ In Reply To ..]
This is a forum where MTs can talk about whatever they may desire.
True that - Goes
[ In Reply To ..]
for respondent as well? Yes? Tell me what tone of voice one uses when they say "Its not fair." Maybe whine describes it better than whimper. Perhaps it was a whisper. perhaps it was an excited exclamation. In any and all cases, complaints about fairness in the context of adult employment is inappropriate and irrelevent.

then why are their labor laws? - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
If there was no "fairness" in the work force, then employers would be allowed to pay a dollar an hour if they so chose. If she is making less than minimum wage, it should be reported.

because of - Democrats

[ In Reply To ..]
who want to RUN YOUR LIFE.

The whole of life isn't fair. Surprised it took you this long to - figure that out.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Good grief. Could you sound any more - crotchety? nm.

[ In Reply To ..]

**there** - Oops

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Why yes, yes I could. I've been trying to rein it in. - Thanks for noticing....

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

fair maybe but that doesn't make it - good

[ In Reply To ..]
the nitpicking over commas and such - for crying out loud it's a document, not a novel. It didn't used to be this way. When did it get this way?

My thoughts exactly - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing this long enough to remember when punctuation and "account specifics" for that matter were at the discretion of the MT who used her own common sense. If there is a list of items, then SURE, commas would be a necessity for a better read, which I am sure we all learned that in what, 2nd grade? Other than that, could you imagine a doctor or ANYONE for that matter (other than another MT) reading a medical record and saying "Wow, she forgot a comma there" or "Now, didn't she know a semicolon went there rather than a comma". This industry is a joke now, to say the least.

Interesting... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually took an AHDI class on how to edit speech drafts a few years ago right before I decided to leave MT altogether. I had never done speech editing and I wanted to see what it was like before I committed to an editing job. One of the main talking points of the class was that for speech editing to actually increase productivity and be effective, and for MTs to make any money at all editing drafts since the pay is so much lower, standards had to be lowered. Basically we were taught to let go of correcting anything that would not change the meaning of what was said, even incorrect s-v agreement and stuff that did not conform to the BOS (interesting since AHDI puts out the BOS). No more perfect reports. It was about conforming standards to technology since the technology could not conform to standards. I guess MTSOs didn't get the memo...

have been micromanaged myself - HaveToHear

[ In Reply To ..]
i had several jobs that were micromanaged like that - I made less money, made more mistakes, and felt totally debased as a person personally and professionally. I kept looking for other work and finally found a job that is not like that on any of the accounts. Your response is normal. Hope you find something else...

Similar Messages:

She Dictates "He Is Fair Com Plected" Meaning He Has A Fair Complexion
Feb 08, 2010

Good morning all - I'm trying for a dermatologist today.  Not my usual account.  She dictates "He is fair com plected" meaning he has a fair complexion.  What is the right way to spell complected? I googled it, came up with a lot of variations and nothing concrete.  Thanks for your time!  ...

Why Do MTSO Advertise, But Never Call Or If They Do Call, Nothing.
Feb 20, 2012

I am tired and frustrated from applying and sending out resumes only to be ignored.  It is like a game with them, I think.  MedGarde even has an interview which has absolutely nothing to do with your skills or qualifications.  In fact it seems like psychological testing to see if you are mentally competent or something like that.  I swear I feel like a mouse that is being tested and run through a maze to see how well you perform, but even mice will get the prize or food event ...

Reporting Time Pay Aka On Call Or Call-in Pay
May 08, 2015

I am considering requesting this pay which (depending on the state) considers us to be on-call and must be paid for part of our shift if no work. I have had it up to here with Nuance and running out of work, adding more and more accounts and STILL no work. Got a second job and STILL being screwed by Nuance in the sense that I cannot rely on my first job (income wise), because when there is enough work they manage to screw my cpl with their lovely FIESA, then as soon as I have no errors the work ...

ORO FAIR NIX
May 20, 2010

... when dictators say "ORO-FAIR-NIX" for oropharynx or "LAIR-NIX" for larynx?  When they think of lynx do they say "LNIX" or manx and say "MNAX" ??  :) ...

Fair Pay??
Mar 24, 2012

This may have been discussed before, and if so, I missed it, but SR seems to be getting worse and worse all the time (and I use M*Modal for two different MTSOs), picking up less and less of what is actually said.  This is even on very clear-speaking dictators.  Some have been to the point of SR getting maybe 2 words right in 2 sentences.  In this case, I'm actually "typing," but getting paid the SR rate.  It struck me that the only fair way to be paid would be to be paid ...

How Is It Fair
Jan 08, 2014

Everyone of my accounts now requires manual addition of CCs and/or manual addition of ADT information and I don't get compensated? This rots, getting ready to quit. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

Fair Chance Or Not?
Mar 03, 2012

Was just wondering if you seasoned MT's think 5 weeks on a new job is a fair chance for a fairly new MT? New platform to be learned, and the dictations were from a big pool with a lot of different doctors, though not many ESL's, and QA was pretty picky. Any opinions on this? ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

Fair Charge Per Line In GA
Jan 01, 2010

I'm thinking about trying to go out and get my own doctor's office and have a question about what is a fair rate per line in the state of Georgia. I've been doing some research but there seems to be a huge range. Can anyone tell me if $0.18/line seems fair? Thank you for any help or information!!!! ...

Fair Line Rate For SC
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT Business and want to make sure I am not over/under charging.  I was thinking 12 cents a line.  Is this too much/too little? I am currently working for a MT business and I am making 8 cents a line but that company is located in Virginia so I cannot really use them as  comparison of what to charge the doctor's offices.  Please advise! ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

Whats A Fair Price
Jan 20, 2010

Hi all, Quick question. I live in washington state and I just graduated from my MT course and had a doc call me to let me know that he wanted me to do transcription for him and my question is what is a fair price to be charging, all I ever hear is what is unfair. Thanks, Dude Mom ...

Fair Warning About WordzXpressed
Jul 15, 2010

I took their test for a QA position.  ELEVEN reports to type plus their written. I typed the reports, 2 reports had 1 blank, otherwise they were clean.  I get an email saying I didn't score high enough. I went back over each and every report, relistened and there were no errors.  So, just in case, I had someone else go over those reports and listen and she agreed with me, no errors with the exception of the 2 reports that had 1 blank.  That was a passing test.  This ...

It's Not Fair To Get Paid 1 Cpl For !@#$ Who Can't Talk
Oct 03, 2010

:(((((( ...

Since I Jumped Up And Down When There Was No Work, It Seems Only Fair Sm
Jan 09, 2011

to say that the work famine seems to be over at SoftScript ... whew!  I still think it was poor management and overhiring that made it as bad as it was, especially since I work for another MTSO who had work constantly throughout the holidays.   Still, I'm happy to see things flowing better so that maybe now I can make an accurate assessment as to whether it is worth it to me to stay. ...

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...

Fair Cpl Rate For Newbie?
Mar 02, 2011

Just got a small temporary job helping a doc catch up on a backlog.  I will be working as an IC and the job is pretty small.  What would be a fair cpl rate to charge?  He's a friend from college, so he told me to name my price.  I'm a new transcription graduate with 2 advanced degrees.  Thanks!! ...

Fair Pay, Collective Action
Aug 14, 2011

MedQuist has steadily decreased its pay for speech recognition to a level that forces experienced medical transcriptionists into poverty.  Currently, speech recognition at 300 lines per hour pays less than that earned by a nursing assistant with only 2 weeks of training. We are calling for a universal action beginning 1 September 2011, with a demand that MedQuist increase the speech recognition rate to at least 85% of what we earn with straight transcription.  EFFECTIVE September 1, 2 ...

What Should Be Expected As A Fair Rate Now
Sep 15, 2011

I have never seen pay so low for MTs....I am really pretty shocked to see some of the rates.  I do realize that good ol' 11-12 cpl is never going to be coming back, I know the economy is not good for anyone, businesses included, but I really am wondering how low can I go and still make a decent living?  Now I am talking about somebody with a lot of years of experience in all fields.  I am thinking no lower than 8 for me, and even that makes me cringe, and I am trying to psych ...

MTs Seek A Fair Shake
Sep 11, 2012

I just saw this posted by AHDI and don't see it discussed yet. Just curious what you all think of this article?   ...

Fair Standards Labor Act
Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.  "All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential ...

Fair Line Rate
Feb 17, 2013

Can someone give me what the fair line rate is for straight typing?  I was paid an hourly rate in my previous position, eliminated due to Dragon, and now looking for work.  I have been offered 9 cents per line, straight typing, no ESL.  I did some searching and it looked like 9 to 18 cents per line, but that's an Internet search, so not credible.  Thanks!  Going to take the position, because I think I can do okay.  Not the big checks, I'm used to, but see ...

What Is A Fair Hourly Rate?
Mar 29, 2014

Can anybody please tell me what is a fair hourly rate for a transcriptionist in a single-doctor office in Texas? The last time I worked as an MT in a clinic was 18 years ago. I then worked for a large hospital and made about $9 more an hour than my highest clinic pay. After getting laid off, I worked for N for a few months and have been out of the MT field for a little over a year. Thanks in advance! ...

FABER And S/l- Fair - Tests Are Negative??
Nov 17, 2009

Sounds like fair for the second test??  TIA!! ...

Fair Labor Standards Act Info
Dec 01, 2014

How may of us are sitting around waiting for work to come in?  We are tied to our computers hoping for something but we get no pay for that time until maybe a report shows up.  Then we sit and wait...and wait...and wait. Should we dare to walk away and something comes in, we get a smackdown if we miss the new and ridiculous 4-hour TAT.  Well, this is what I found researching the U.S. Dept of Labor.   Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depe ...

Webmedx,nuance Paycut On OLD VR PROGRAM Not Fair!
Dec 01, 2011

I have gone over my pay records over the past couple of years or so and my salary correspondence from this company with a qualified unemployment case worker. When I recently told her that now it appears they (wmx,nuance) are going to even cut my pay more the option I  have is to quit and then file an appeal. If the company were to try and fight me on ALL the cuts I have received in the near past I have everything to show the case worker to get the highest benefits ...

Update On Fair Hourly Rate Question
Apr 05, 2014

Last week I asked what you all thought was a fair hourly rate for a one-doctor clinic MT. I went to the interview on Tuesday. The job ad was for a "medical records transcriptionist." The office uses an EMR. The nurse practitioner uses the EMR, but the doctor uses a piece of paper that resembles the EMR screen and checks the appropriate boxes and writes additional comments. The job is to take those papers and input the data in the EMR. It's not actual transcription, no headset or foot pedal ...

What Is A Fair Rate Per Audio Minute? Is 0.6 Okay? I've Never Been Paid That Way Before
Apr 05, 2014

nm ...