A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Disappointing offer-sm - Connie

Posted: Apr 11, 2012

I lost my job a few months ago.  I started applying, testing, waiting to hear from companies.  I did get hired this week part-time for VRE work and it pays peanuts.  A second company was interested in me and I went through testing, filling out tons of paperwork, phone calls and waiting.  They offered me a job as an MT and also VRE.  The offer is so disappointing!  I have a lot of experience but that does not seem to count for anything with them.  The wages are similar to what I was making 20 years ago.  It is days but they wanted me to work one day of the weekend and I felt that I "should" do that fearing that they would not even offer me a job if I dare to say no.  I'm really depressed right now.  I feel stuck.  There are few jobs out there that pay decent line rates but my gut tells me this company is not for me.  I feel like they are gaining an experienced MT and I am going to work for very little.  What should I do....try to negotiate or just say no thanks, or get off my high horse and just sign on the dotted line?  I could use some advice right now.  Thanks.

It is what it is! And it sucks out there! Sorry! - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
Hang in there! But if you are young enough I would definitely make a change in profession - I'm nearing 60 and it is a swamp out there!! I've applied at all the local stores, etc and no one even calls for those entry level jobs....

Without being nosey, but in an effort to offer - good advice, may I ask

[ In Reply To ..]
What they are offering you? Pay rates in the industry range from 4 to 6cpl. Very few companies actually pay 6cpl, but the ones that do only give it to the long-time experienced, good MTs.

Some will higher you on and progress you to maybe 5cpl. So I would ask them about negotiating and the chances for getting an increase.

Depending on what company you are talking about, you may get very little straight typing, so really it is the VR rate that is most important here.

Definitly do not take a job that only offers 3cpl. Could you please give an idea of your offer? and maybe even the company would help too. It's an anonymous board, so it's not like we know who you are.

I should say - Nobody

[ In Reply To ..]
I saw an article where a woman said she was getting paid $8.00 an hour to pull weeds. It makes me sick to see what they are getting away with paying the transcribers.

Disappointing offer-sm - Connie

[ In Reply To ..]
4-6 cpl, where have I been? The offer was 7 cpl for straight typing and 4 cpl for VR.

See msg - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a friend that worked for Amphion and I dont know what her straight typing rate was, but her speech rec rate was 6cpl. She quit for a local hospital job though.

I also started out at 5cpl for a different company and am now at 6cpl.

I have read various posts here on this board where people are making just over 5cpl so there are companies out there that will at least start you off at 5cpl if you have the years experience and you're good.

I actually took the risk and negotiated my line rate if they want you bad enough and think you will do a good job, they will give it to you.

Sweat Shop Companies - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
These companies are all sweat shops. Until the MTs start saying NO I won't work for the peanuts you are offering will it change. These damn companies have stolen and I mean ripped off all our accounts in the name of greed. They treat us like crap and exploit our skills. I look for that to continue as long as there are MTs who will do the sweat shop scenario.
MTSO's are outta control, and need to be put on - a very short leash. We can start by - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
voting out the politicians and lawmakers that give these sweatshop companies free rein to do anything they wish to exploit their workers and rake in obscene profits.

If that can be accomplished, it will help pave the way for getting our complaints against these companies heard, and the offenders thoroughly investigated.

The hemorrhage of American jobs and money offshore needs to STOP.
Voter fraud - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to vote all these scum bags out, you will have to fix the voter fraud first. The elitists are in charge of all of the politicians in the presidential race except one, Ron Paul. Don't say he can't win either because he has taken the country by storm and it is being hidden by CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and NBC. They are all working together on this one. You would be surprised at all the state and local politicians are doing the elitist's work too. There is so much voter fraud in this country. The voting machines are skewed. If I vote for Ron Paul it will be turned into a vote for Mitt or Obama. We have to educate ourselves on what is going on. America is being destroyed by design by the elitist bankers. Our jobs were all shipped overseas by these dirt bags. Get a clue please.

7 cpl is still too low for ANY transcription, - straight typing or otherwise! (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

Do you need a job? If so, I'd take the offer. nm - job market sucks these days

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I wouldn't take it. Yes, we all need jobs. But NO, - we shouldnt be sweatshop monkeys. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

The reality is, if the OP doesn't take it, someone else will. nm - logical MT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

It also depends if there is work available or not. Big issue. - MT24

[ In Reply To ..]
I know that it is extremely important to get a good rate, that is for straight typing and VR. I'd never take below the usual 4cpl for VR with possibility for a raise.
However, my problem over the years has been NO WORK. I put that in caps not to scream, but to emphasize that most of the companies which are midsized and smaller (that is not the big 2) rarely have work for 100% of the time. This is where I went poverty-stricken. I always took the higher paying jobs that is, higher line rate and higher VR (6 c vr and 9 c to 10 c straight)... but guess what, I never ever made more than 250. a week.. and averaged between 50 and 100.00 a week. Full time! Full time? No they would put on my pay stub part time to jive it as minimum wage. But yes, I was an employee (and other jobs an IC) and I'd sit there waiting, but was not paid to sit and wait. So I did not have benefits, sat 40-60 hours a week waiting and was classified part-time, and indigent by my county/state earning less than 12K a year. Why? Because I put up with the NJA... and kept sitting there... don't do it!
Finally I got a job at one of the big 2 and never run out of work. EVER. I told them at the job interview that I will not take a job for any company with NJA. I just won't.
So, now I am at 4 cpl VR (going to raise to 5 and later 6 soon) and 10 c straight (rarely get straight typing) but I do get some. Plus guess what, I know the work will be there. This way I can know how many lines I need to do per week to earn enough to pay the rent, bills and not be classified as indigent, but a true full time worker.
It has been a long time where I actually have been able to set a line count goal and know what I will be paid. For years, I never was sure what my paycheck was, because of the fudging of the counts on my pay or the odd payperiod, or the NJA, and jiving it to make it look minimum wage... I surely knew it would never be enough.
Now, it is like the old times I have a goal way above the minimum, I reach that goal because the work IS THERE (not screaming but for emphasis).
So, in considering your job offer, I highly suggest you check references on the company you plan to work for along with telling them from the get go... no NJA, b/c you won't, you can't work for a job with NJA! Good luck to you! Sorry so long, but for me, it is truly wonderful to have work available on my shift all the time and every time!
Great post. nm - logical MT
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Disappointing Responses
Jun 13, 2010

It is very disappointing to see that 134 people (so far) have read my post and only 1 person has responded.  What is up with that?  Please note I fully expect a bunch of responses to this stupid post but not to the important one further down. ...

I Got A Job Offer!
Jan 17, 2010

Haven't even completely finished school, tested for a part time IC position, and I got the job offer today! It can be done, ****! *** Stop with the snide remarks toward experienced MTs who do not share your point of view for this career.   Moderator *** ...

Offer
Dec 07, 2010

hypertype:  Straight VR - 0.6 cents/line, IC status with 10.00 licensing fee every 2 weeks. Mostly ER. Good offer? or bad offer? ...

Job Offer At TTS ?
Sep 19, 2012

Have an offer,not sure though. Would love to hear from others who work there and in the know. How is their QA done, weekly, monthly, every 3 months like where I work now or just how. Do you think the QA is there, fair, critical, just anything I could find out would be nice.  ...

Non-MT Job Offer
Mar 29, 2013

...Okay, I'm not here to start a fight about union vs non-union, but I was just offered a non-MT job at a hospital that has a union, and I am anti-union.  When she told me that it was a union position, my jaw dropped.  She must have seen the look on my face, because she told me that since this is Florida, we don't HAVE to join the union or pay dues or anything like that.  My face brightened up right away. SO, if you are not pro-union be SURE to ask if the state you live ...

Does Anyone Know What Companies Offer
Nov 12, 2009

Kaiser insurance besides MedQuist?  I want to leave MedQuist but I love my Kaiser insurance.  Please help.  TIA. ...

I Got A Job Offer! - UPDATE
Feb 13, 2010

I am updating, like I said I would.  I'm still working, and I LOVE the job!  Granted, the pay isn't where I would like it to be yet, but it gets better every day, because my line count gets higher every day!  Thanks to those of you who encouraged and supported me during the hiring process! ...

GOT A BETTER OFFER FROM WAL-MART
Feb 18, 2010

Well after being in this business for almost 20 years, I have decided it's time to hang up the keyboard,  as a single person I can no longer support myself as a medical transcriptionist.  This is not even a good part-time job anymore.  I have worked for more companies than I cared to admit, suffered through intolerable divas as team leads, gestapo QA, constant nip picking on where a comma goes, or a verb, and had my cpl reduced from what started out at 13 cpl to 0.0350 cpl.&n ...

Taking More Than 1 Offer
Mar 15, 2010

I have 2 job offers from 2 different companies, but both of these companies are fairly large and have multiple posts with complaints that there is just not enough work for everyone. Would it be possible to take both offers, on the chance that if one doesn't have work the other will? I might be kinda screwed if they both have a lot of work, but it might be worth it to see how both will work out without closing any doors. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to run 2 companies differen ...

Offer From Medquist
Mar 19, 2010

Wow.  I was just offered a job by MQ.  I politely asked if the 'rumors' were true about being docked for sending reports to QA.  I was informed that if you are supposed to do 6,000 lines a week and 300 lines total come to QA, then yes you would be docked 3 cents per line.  If you are part-time with 4,000 line a week and 200 lines total came to QA, then you would be docked.  I politely said that I would have to decline.  BUT, if you feel that even QA canno ...

Job Offer From Transolutions
Jun 09, 2010

I have a job offer from Transolutions, but I have a couple of questions.   I use Instant Text and I need to know if their platform is compatible with it.  This would definitely be a dealbreaker for me.   The opinions of the company I read on this board were not very favorable -- slow speech rec program,  too much speech rec, etc.  But all the opinions were at least 2 years old.  Is there any more current information out there?   The pay scale is very enticing, but if the ...

Need Advice On Job Offer
Jun 24, 2010

I'm considering an offer from a national company of around 8.75 cents straight typing and around 5.5 for VR. This would be for a full-time position and I have over 10 years experience (but none with VR).  I'm currently on unemployment earning around $1500 a month. My normal production of straight typing is around 150-200 lph.  With this info., should it be a problem to earn more than what I'm currently making on unemployment? I'm afraid to make the change as once I ...

Ooooh Job Offer
Oct 01, 2010

Just got a "job offer" e-mail.  I can make $225/day working for e-bay auctions!!!! Why am I still doing MT????? NOT!!!! ...

MQ Offer Me A Job Last Week...
Jun 14, 2011

MQ offered me a full-time position last week, after all the testing, but after reading this board, with all the firings and lawsuit, and outsourcing, I don't know if I want to work for them! Is there any reason not to work for them? I would appreciate any input. Thank you. ...

UNIWORK ANYONE? Job Offer......
Apr 22, 2011

Anyone heard of Uniwork? Clue me in please????? ...

Offer For Job With Medquist
Jun 06, 2011

Hi all, I was just offered a postiion and was wondering how the company is? Any advice good or bad would be helpful. Thanks ...

I Just Got A Job Offer With Nuance
Jul 27, 2011

I am an MT with 20+ years experience and switched careers a year ago when our hospital's Transcription Department was eliminated and all transcription was outsourced. I am currently working full-time as a secretary but am looking for part-time MT work to supplement my income as most of my wages are going towards my family's health insurance. I was hoping for 10-15 hours per week, but 20 hours are required and I'm not sure I can handle 12-hour days between both jobs. Does ...

Job Offer For Probity
Aug 09, 2011

I just had a job offer for Probity.  I am considering it, but before I accepted I emailed them with a question about if there is steady work and still have had no response.  I am on unemployment benefits, so if I take their job and then there is not steady work and if I have to quit, I cannot get my benefits back.  So, it's a delicate decision.  Is anyone working for them who can tell me anything about them....good or bad?  Thank you. ...

MQ Job Offer Today
Dec 07, 2011

MQ has scheduled an offer phone call for me today.  I am kind of scared.  I have many years into MT and thought I might as well since they will someday employ me through buyouts anyway.  Is there any good reasons why I should accept the job.  Or should I avoid the call and just keep sending out resumes.  Please if there is anything good to say now is the time because I am 50/50 on taking the chance. Thanks. ...

Is This A Good Offer?
Dec 15, 2011

Is .11/65 ct line good or bad? TAI ...

What Companies Offer
Jan 15, 2012

401ks--preferably with a match?  Anyone know?  Thanks. ...

SoftScript Job Offer
Oct 11, 2012

Was planning to go to work for SS.  Posts here make me very nervous.  Are they maybe just disgruntled employees?  Help, honesty please. ...

Softscript - Got A Job Offer
Nov 27, 2012

Hi - Got a job offer from them and wanted to know if anyone here has had experience with this company and did/do you like them.  Been with my current company for a long time now and am hesitant to leave, but VR has put a huge dent in my paycheck and SS says they don't do VR... Thanks in advance! ...

I Have An Offer From Keystrokes
Jan 04, 2013

I have an offer from Keystrokes.  They are paying 7 cpl.  Any current or former workers?  I currently work for Nuance/Transcend. Please respond soon; I need to make a decision before Monday. Thanks in advance. ...

Got A Job Offer At Probity
Feb 04, 2013

I got a job offer at Probity.  The pay has an incentive built in for anything over 5000 lines per pay period.  Does anyone know what the pay period is?  It doesn't say and am waiting for resonse from recruiting.  Also, it is for a 6 hour shift.  Is that normal.  I was hoping for 8. Is eligibility for benefits based on line count or hours worked?  Any advice would be helpful on this company. Thanks ...

Very Strange Job Offer
Sep 18, 2013

Just got an unsolicited email from "At Once" transcription company.  Said they had reviewed my resume and seem to be a good fit and to call for an interview.  They listed their address, etc..... Signed by - person to call to set up interview.  On line, there is no company called At Once listed when googled.  I know I didn't send ANYONE a resume in quite a while.  WT is this?!?!   ...

Coding Offer
Mar 13, 2014

I just wanted to wish all of you good luck if you get the offer and want to take the test for the coding class.  We all have to decide what is best for ourselves.  I really hope this is a postive offer.  I understand totally how so many of us feel stuck where we are because our workload and pay have changed so much.  As others have advised, I would definitely get all the answers.  Unfortunately in the medical transcription world we feel we are fighting just to be ab ...

Starting Pay Offer?
Apr 24, 2014

As an experienced MT, would you take a job that started at 7 cpl? I don't know if this is the norm now, but I have interviewed for 5 jobs this week, none of which have offered more than this. One of the jobs sounded great, but I am terrified to take it because of this 7 cpl offer. She said there was no wiggle room, so I can't ask if they'd consider going up a little. I have 10 years of experience and have been at the same job for 8 years.  Other than considering going off on ...

IMEDat Offer?
May 15, 2014

Had along conversation (meeting) with the HR person or possibly owner regarding this company and what they had to offer.  I was STUNNED.  (By the way, none of her seeker posts have the ability to post a reply only to post through email - does she not want others posting their shock as to her offer?  She has a new account that many MTs will be "off QA in a couple of weeks".  Timeframes in this business are never absolute and can get extended infinitely. In the meantime all MTs still on Q ...

I Have An Offer From Accentus
Jun 12, 2014

I have an offer from Accentus. I like the flexibility they offer, but I also have an offer from Breitner. Any feedback on these two? Thanks. ...