A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medicare Inpatient Consult Code/Modifier - CG13

Posted: May 11, 2012

Can anyone help me with the code used for inpatient consult and a modifier for Medicare? Having reimbursement problems with this one.  Thanks

What codes are you trying to use? - Hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
And explain the reason for the modifier. What exactly did your doctor do?

And you are following the latest CMS guidance on consults? Google it if you haven't yet.

Where is the OP??? Why ask for help??? - Want to help

[ In Reply To ..]
Why do people ask for help and not return?

It may be that they are busy, but they asked for help. That obligates the helper to keep checking back again and again and again.

If I asked for help, I think I would be checking in at least once a day.

I was hoping you would reappear to explain further so I could tell you what to use. Doesn't appear that is going to happen, so here is the best answer I can give.

Medicare is telling you to stop sending them that code because they do not accept it. You will have to use whatever the service actually IS. The fact that your doctor got a request for a consult does not make it one. Even if it fits the AMA definition, CMS does not accept those codes. The fact that you think you need a modifier with this tells me you are trying to code something in addition to this and you are probably doing that incorrectly as well.

You need to use one of the hospital E/M codes, but I can't tell whch because you aren't around to explain. I can't tell you what is wrong with the modifier for the same reason. Did your doctor perform a procedure? Was it a procedure that is not included in the work of an E/M? Is the modifier itself just wrong? I can't tell from what you gave us.

Needing help - CG13

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry - I have been out of town all weekend and did not get a response until after I left work Friday. Heard something at a conference on coding a few weeks ago that Medicare now requires a modifier code on consults. I had 2 kick out and thought that might be why. I was just wondering if you or anyone is familiar with this change as I cannot find it anywhere. Thank you for your help. It is very appreciated.

Similar Messages:

Modifier 25 And 27
Aug 01, 2013

Critical Access Hospital (CAH), Medicare Claims Processing Manual, forget the CPT code book even though you are looking at CPT codes for the clinic visits, lab, and x-ray.  Ok.  Ok.  So freaking confused right now.  When I was trained, they told me any clinic or ER that did an x-ray, EKG, injection, procedure, put a modifier 25 on it.  Period.  Well, after doing some research modifier 25 states SAME PHYSICIAN...Come to find out not all x-rays, just CT, MRI...My main ...

Medicare 1500 Form Question
Aug 27, 2014

Can anybody PLEASE tell me the correct way to put a patient's last name on the 1500 form for a Medicare patient when the last name has three parts separted by spaces, i.e. AA BB CCC, FirstName, MI, which is the exact way the name is on the patient's Medicare card. Medicare denied the claim. Then we put the last name as AABBCCC, but it was denied again. I had a similar problem a few months ago when a patient had a suffix after the last name and was able to call Medicare and was given sp ...

Compound Modifier?
Jul 07, 2011

Is it allergic looking or allergic-looking? ...

Medicare Contractor To Docs: We Won't Pay For Cloned EHR Notes
Sep 27, 2012

Looks like the template method is in trouble. See this link. Medicare contractor to docs: We won't pay for cloned EHR notes Read more: Medicare contractor to docs: We won't pay for cloned EHR notes - FierceEMR http://www.fierceemr.com/story/medicare-contractor-docs-we-wont-pay-cloned-ehr-notes/2012-09-12#ixzz27iUyBi2B Subscribe: http://www.fierceemr.com/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceEMR-FierceEMR ...

Eponym Modifier Without The Noun
Feb 14, 2010

Arrrrgh! Eponyms! I have been researching and researching and there are lots of articles etc. on whether to use the possessive form or not. I have that down - I was taught no possessive unless it is a client preference or transcribe as dictated; okay, no problem. But no one seems to even address the question of using the possessive form if the noun that goes with it is not dictated, i.e. "Hoffmann's" or "Sjogren's." I believe we are to leave it possessive as it is a ...

Inpatient
Aug 09, 2012

Does anyone work as an inpatient coder only.  I mean the only thing you code are the inpatient stays, not a mix of other stuff too.  Are there jobs like that? ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Which Course Offers Inpatient Med Coding?
Mar 24, 2011

I am going to start a medical coding course at a community college but they are teaching outpatient insurance coding.  What do I need to do to be able to do inpatient coding in a hospital?  Is there a different test for certification for doing inpatient coding? ...

So Who Does Teach Inpatient Coding - Sm
Apr 26, 2011

I saw on AHIMA's site that they say you are to work for a while before taking the CCS but here I keep reading people that took it BEFORE even having a job.  How did you learn it well enough to pass the test w/o job experience? ...

Is The Phrase "code Blue" Generally Capitalized As Code Blue Or Not?nm
Dec 17, 2010

nm ...

Wage Difference Between Inpatient And Outpatient
Mar 21, 2012

My local hospital starts at 26 an hour for inpatient coding.  I am wondering how much outpatient coding pays....  not that anyone would know this, but is it generally a lot lower than the inpatient coding? Just curious because I need to gain experience before I can land a hospital inpatient coding position and just curious as to how much outpatient coders make.   ...

Inpatient Pt Meds: Doc Spells Viatrivoate 1000 Ml P.o. X1.
Oct 07, 2011

? ...

Code Blue Or Code Blue For Beg Of Sentence?
Dec 29, 2014

xx ...

Consult
Mar 01, 2012

In this report........although has had some fleeting suicidal thinking, insight and judgement is ____....sounds like fe? I can not figure this out...can anyone help me. It is in Chapter 15:1   Thanks ...

Speech Consult - Thanks Much!
Jan 20, 2010

1) is this the correct way to type the weighted score of 1+3 in this paragraph??  The weighted values for speech symptoms associated with velopharyngeal incompetence, (McWilliams and Phillips) were completed today.  Overall, he received a weighted score of 1 + 3, indicative of a competent-to-borderline competent velopharyngeal mechanism.     ...

Psychiatry Consult
Apr 06, 2010

The word I'm having trouble with isn't a medical term, but I'd still greatly appreciate any alternatives anyone can offer.  The paragraph goes like this: This is a 44-year-old female, divorced 2 years, mother of 2 young adult children, currently living in an apartment by herself.  She spends her time shopping, cooking, and housekeeping.  She ("hates") visits with friends with whom she chats and shops with. I'm fairly certain the rest of the paragraph is corre ...

Neuro Consult
Nov 12, 2010

Patient presented after passing out while driving.  She has history of tachyarrhythmia and palpitations, well controlled on metoprolol.  She has an abnormal NMR that could represent s/l 'DEE-AH-SONOMIA".     I've googled d, b, v, thee....  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  ...

Mitchem Consult (MCN)
Jan 05, 2011

I have been looking for work as a newbie MT and was contacted by Tonya with Mitchem Consult (MCN).  Has anybody ever heard of them?  If so, would you recommend them as a first job?  I know it will take me time to build up my speed, but I want to work.  I find a web site for them, but wanted to know if anybody has ever worked for them or even heard of them! C J ...

Urology Consult
Jun 10, 2011

Epididymides are nontender.  He has pain with inguinal hernia examination.  He has pain with cord manipulation.  He has pain with manipulation of _______ tendon and insertion.  SL gastroc? ...

Word Help: ENT Consult
Mar 31, 2012

"I am unable to advance the scope back into the nasopharynx secondary to scarring but there is no obvious source of bleeding. The scope was advanced into the left nasal cavity and again, there are post surgical changes noted with (s/l KNEE-KEY-A) Any help would be appreciated !! Thanks !! ...

Renal Consult Help
Sep 06, 2012

anybody heard of this.. s/l  C-N-TOES syndrome.  i have searched everywhere.  this is also a foreign dr but this is best i can do phonetically.  thanks so much for the help   Hyponatremia, multifactorial, possibly secondary to hydrochlorothiazide; however, this has been on hold; also secondary with excessive p.o. fluid intake with low solute intake (*------* syndrome). The patient also reports dry mouth which makes her drink fluids constantly. Another possibility wou ...

Neuropsych Consult
Dec 19, 2012

Patient is unable to s/l interset on any mental control tasks.  ...

This Is From Speech Therapy Consult
Oct 27, 2009

she is very easy to understand and likes using lots of "hard" words.  She keeps repeating this type of sentence - He showed difficulty when given a simple two-sentence scenario and asked questions s/l "per ren".  He appeared to have difficulties understanding simple, "who questions," s/l "per ren".    any help always much appreciated!  ...

Respiratory Failure-consult
Nov 22, 2010

Patient had a positive troponin and severe coronaqry artery disease, severe s/l amora..  Also has severe papillary muscle dysfunction.  Could it be AMR/MR/AMI?  Got me stumped.  Thanks for your help ...

Internal Medicine Consult
Apr 15, 2011

Concern for decreased (s/l Plavix) activity with proton pump inhibitors and will have to check a (s/l PTY 12) if she is to continue on proton pump inhibitors as an outpatient.   ...

Surgery Consult Question
May 15, 2011

The patient is having a knee replacement done.  In the past history section, the doctor dictates as problem number one what sounds like, "parody is 10 073."  Any ideas?  Thanks! ...

ID Consult- Patient Will Continue Vancomycin And S/l Ree-pen-in
May 25, 2010

x ...

Dental Consult - Doc Says Dural Exam And Goes On About Sm
Jan 28, 2012

mandible being edentulous.  Is Dural correct? Not confident with what I referenced..Thanx ...

Question- Order Of Headings In Consult/H&P
Aug 26, 2012

I have a couple dictators who dictate impression/plan at the beginning of their reports. This comes through in ASR and so I have been leaving these at the beginning of the report even though it is not the way I was taught to do traditional H&P, consultation reports. I am not on a verbatim account. Also, the client profile does not mention this at all. Is it okay to leave the imp/plan at the top of report, or should I change these? ...

Need An Opinion For Review Of Systems For Patient Consult
Jan 25, 2011

Would you put abdominal aorta aneursym and stent in the neck under cardiovascular for review of systems?  thanks!!   ...