A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

inpatient - coding

Posted: Aug 09, 2012

Does anyone work as an inpatient coder only.  I mean the only thing you code are the inpatient stays, not a mix of other stuff too.  Are there jobs like that?

You mean a CCS? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yes, lots of them. - Why?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

why? - Because

[ In Reply To ..]
Because when I search for IP coder jobs, they always list other things in the job description, ER, OP Surg, etc. I never see one that is just IP alone, which is what I want. So wondered if places hire people just for that, or if they expect you to do all the other jobs also.

Cart before the horse - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I see what you are getting at, I think. Your questions indicate that you are not yet a coder. You have come to the conclusion that inpatient coding is all that you want to do, but you annot find job listings that seem to be only inpatient coding.

There are tons of inpatient jobs where all you do is code inpatient records, but job listings will often include other types of coding.

I wonder how you decided that only inpatient would suit you. If you are not a coder and do not even know if there are inpatient-only jobs, it does not seem as though you could have enough information to make that decision. It may be that you are using incorrect information or are misunderstanding something. We might be able to clear that up.

One thing you should know is that the inpatient CCS exam does cover outpatient and CPT coding. Hospitals do have outpatient surgery departments, EDs, and other outpatient-based services, which are coded using CPT and outpatient diagnosis coding rules. If you just wish to avoid learning that, it will be impossible.

I guess I am just unable to unerstand why you would want to avoid a part of most hospital jobs. It will be difficult to do that in the long term. Perhaps if yu can explain your reasoning we can help more effectively.
Thanks - I
[ In Reply To ..]
I know hospitals have all those going on, but does one person do all, or do they separate the jobs? I simply wondered if anyone had worked where they do separate, if they hire one coder for IP charts, one coder for surgeries, one coder for ER.
Inpatient coders - On site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an MT but I know some people who work as inpatient coders. They code the entire hospital stay, from admission to discharge. Operative reports are included in many of those stays. There are also separate outpatient coders who do nothing else and code ER visits and day surgeries, but every facility is different.
Specialization is typical - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Most facilities of any size have specialized coders. Some coders do only inpatient stays and others do outpatient work. At smaller facilities, coders may be jacks of all trades.

Inpatient and outpatient coding use different rules, different code sets, and different types of records. They require different thinking, making it difficult to switch from one to the other. Some coders prefer one or the other. Others find they have too much trouble or do not have the medical knowledge to deal with long records from entire hospital stays, preferring to code short encounters. Those who enjoy the detailed analysis of long records may find outpatient work boring.

There is often a pay gradient involved. Easier coding like clinic and ED encounters pays less than outpatient surgery, and both pay less than inpatient. (The exception is interventional radiology, which beats them all.) It makes sense to keep coders working on what they are being paid to do.

Remember that coders work in settings outside of hospitals. There are more outpatient coders working outside hospitals than there are coders in hospitals.

Similar Messages:

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Which Course Offers Inpatient Med Coding?
Mar 24, 2011

I am going to start a medical coding course at a community college but they are teaching outpatient insurance coding.  What do I need to do to be able to do inpatient coding in a hospital?  Is there a different test for certification for doing inpatient coding? ...

So Who Does Teach Inpatient Coding - Sm
Apr 26, 2011

I saw on AHIMA's site that they say you are to work for a while before taking the CCS but here I keep reading people that took it BEFORE even having a job.  How did you learn it well enough to pass the test w/o job experience? ...

Wage Difference Between Inpatient And Outpatient
Mar 21, 2012

My local hospital starts at 26 an hour for inpatient coding.  I am wondering how much outpatient coding pays....  not that anyone would know this, but is it generally a lot lower than the inpatient coding? Just curious because I need to gain experience before I can land a hospital inpatient coding position and just curious as to how much outpatient coders make.   ...

Inpatient Pt Meds: Doc Spells Viatrivoate 1000 Ml P.o. X1.
Oct 07, 2011

? ...

Medicare Inpatient Consult Code/Modifier
May 11, 2012

Can anyone help me with the code used for inpatient consult and a modifier for Medicare? Having reimbursement problems with this one.  Thanks ...

Pt Evaluated In "I Mac" Clinic. Then Transfered Inpatient.
Aug 24, 2011

:) ...