A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

eponym modifier without the noun - gerackie

Posted: Feb 14, 2010

Arrrrgh! Eponyms! I have been researching and researching and there are lots of articles etc. on whether to use the possessive form or not. I have that down - I was taught no possessive unless it is a client preference or transcribe as dictated; okay, no problem. But no one seems to even address the question of using the possessive form if the noun that goes with it is not dictated, i.e. "Hoffmann's" or "Sjogren's." I believe we are to leave it possessive as it is awkward otherwise, i.e. "Hoffmann" or "Sjogren." Anyone have a definitive answer?

leave it off - nuff said

[ In Reply To ..]

not e-"nuff" - gerackie

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your reply, but I was hoping for something backed up by experience or reference, maybe even something helpful.

Similar Messages:

Noun And Noun Possessive
May 27, 2014

This is a patient of Dr. Smith who comes in today for followup. OR This is a patient of Dr. Smith's who comes in today for followup. ???  also, can you document the reason for which answer you choose? ...

Modifier 25 And 27
Aug 01, 2013

Critical Access Hospital (CAH), Medicare Claims Processing Manual, forget the CPT code book even though you are looking at CPT codes for the clinic visits, lab, and x-ray.  Ok.  Ok.  So freaking confused right now.  When I was trained, they told me any clinic or ER that did an x-ray, EKG, injection, procedure, put a modifier 25 on it.  Period.  Well, after doing some research modifier 25 states SAME PHYSICIAN...Come to find out not all x-rays, just CT, MRI...My main ...

Compound Modifier?
Jul 07, 2011

Is it allergic looking or allergic-looking? ...

Medicare Inpatient Consult Code/Modifier
May 11, 2012

Can anyone help me with the code used for inpatient consult and a modifier for Medicare? Having reimbursement problems with this one.  Thanks ...

Capitalization - The Nouns That Follow A Proper Noun
Oct 05, 2011

Hi guys, Having a discrepancy regarding captilization of the words, especially if they are following a proper noun. Example:  Severstal Sparrows plant dispensary, Macy's storeroom. In the above examples, is it mandatory to captilize the nouns that follow a proper noun. i.e., Severstal Sparrows Plant Dispensary, Macy's Storeroom.   Please do the needful.   Thnx, Syd !         ...

Hyphenate "dialysis-dependent" If No Noun After?
Oct 25, 2011

I know that "dialysis-dependent" requires the hyphen if a noun follows the phrase as in, "The dialysis-dependent patient..." However, would the hyphen be appropriate in this phrase if a noun did NOT follow it as in "This is an 81-year-old woman with diabetes who is dialysis-dependent."? Would this be considered a noun + adjective, thus requiring the hyphen? ...

International Units Or International Units? Is This A Proper Noun? -nm
Nov 25, 2011

x ...