A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wage difference between inpatient and outpatient - anon

Posted: Mar 21, 2012

My local hospital starts at 26 an hour for inpatient coding.  I am wondering how much outpatient coding pays....  not that anyone would know this, but is it generally a lot lower than the inpatient coding?

Just curious because I need to gain experience before I can land a hospital inpatient coding position and just curious as to how much outpatient coders make.

My local hospital pays - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
$18 an hour for inpatient and $13 an hour for outpatient, so quite a difference. I am in Montana, though, where wages are low. I would love to make 26 an hour!

I would do it a different way - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I would sit for the CCS exam and you'll be able to go straight to hospital inpatient instead of waiting and hoping you'll get the right job with the right experience to prepare you. Is there some reason why you can't take the CCS exam now?

Yes, my reason - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I am still in school. I am at Andrews and I feel like I will be able to pass the CCS exam. However, I think I may like outpatient better. I have always worked in the field of orthopedics and would love to work for a large orthopedic group doing coding if possible.

You should do fine then, for inpatient or outpatient - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are at Andrews, you'll have it covered either way.

what state? - Starts at?

[ In Reply To ..]
that is good.

See the salary surveys. - Yes, coding pays well NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Salary survey - Not accurate for

[ In Reply To ..]
my area. They post a much higher scale than what I am finding. I think they go by the big cities in the state, but out in the rural areas it is not the same.
No, the surveys are very accurate--you have to interpret them correctly. - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
No, unless it says they are rural and urban, they are not. The survey tells you exactly what the numbers represent and that is what they are. Coders and HIM professionals simply report the numbers.

Keep in mind, too, that these surveys are not done on the general public. They do not get the figures from income taxes or employers. They are surveys of MEMBERS of the AAPC and AHIMA. Literally, members get a request to go to an online site and complete a questionnaire.

MEMBERS often make more than people who are not affiliated with professional organizations--that's one of the benefits of affiliating with a nationally recognized organization. Members are usually credentialed more than nonmembers--credentialing increases income. Members often have formal training, meet experience and competency criteria, and engage in continuing education--those are reflected in higher income.

The salary surveys represent (generally) an average of what coders report, or sometimes median incomes. If 35K is cited as the pay rate, that is not "the only" pay rate. That does not say that all coders make 35K, or that none make less, or that none make more. Some DO make less, some DO make more, and some might make exactly 35K. When you all them all up and divide by the number of coders who reported, you get that 35K. That's what an average is--some higher, some lower, some close to the average number itself.

When you look at the jobs in ads locally, you are going to see the lowest pay, i.e., what they are willing to pay a person -- any person -- to begin with. People do not stay there, though. They make more and more as time goes on.

You are seeing numbers that employers often expect to negotiate. They set them lower to begin with to allow for increases depending on someone's experience, credentials, education level, etc. I have seen coders apply for jobs that advertised 30K, but ended up with 40K after negotiation.

You are also looking at the kinds of jobs that look for employees using ads, which are often the kind of jobs that pay a bit less. You are going to miss the ones that use medical recruiters, professional organizations, and personal recommendations, as well as jobs with national organizations like insurers and software companies, large healthcare concerns, and the federal government.

So, yes, when you look at job ads in your area, you might find they start off lower than the, say, $35K reported in the survey. That is because $35K is in the middle of what was reported by the coders in that category. Some of them may be making $30K with no benefits because it is a small-potatoes operation. Some may make $35K because they are in a middle-of-the-road operation. Others might be making $40K with 30% benefits with the federal government.

And, yes, you might get less locally in a rural area than in an urban area. Pay in urban areas is higher than rural. That does not mean the survey is wrong or that is was done in cities. You just have to expect rural pay to fall on the lower end of what was reported.

In addition to urban coders tending to make more, there are also more urban coders. There are thus more reported urban incomes than rural, and thus more higher urban incomes being reported. That raises the bar a bit.

All of these factors come together on those surveys. What you see locally is something I would expect. It isn't an indication that the survey is wrong or that it doesn't apply to you. It does, but you have to interpret it correctly.

Guesswork not necessary - Knows where it is

[ In Reply To ..]
Look up the salary surveys on the AAPC and AHIMA websites. They are easy to find. Everything you ask is answered there.

Suggestion and clarification - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are salary surveys on both the AAPC and AHIMA websites. You can locate them easily using the tabs on AAPC. For AHIMA it may be easier to Google "AHIMA salary survey 2011."

You mentioned that you needed experience for a hospital coding job. I just want to point out that believing what you see in job ads or what people tell you is going to be limiting and possible self-defeating. EVERYONE wants experience, but what they will often take is credentials. They cannot find coders with all that experience.

Also, no amount of outpatient coding experience will prepare you for inpatient coding. They are very different. You will spend years getting experience in a clinic only to discover that other specialties and hospitals won't consider it.

Outpatient coding is fine, but keep in mind that it is easily automated so do not put all your eggs in that basket. You need to continue developing into advanced areas. You may even have difficulty finding a job challenging enough. Most office jobs are little more than copying codes from a charge ticket to a claim form. I do not think you spent all that money on Andrews to do glorified billing, nor do I recommend you do it because it will disappear with an EHR.

The easiest thing for you would be to pass both the CPC and the CCS as soon as possible. The longer you are out of school the more difficult it will be. After you start working in outpatient, the CCS may become impossible. Many inpatient coders cannot pass the CPC. You cannot afford to limit yourself like that.

Exactly! No amount of experience doing Outpatient Coding Prepares you for Inpatient or CCS - My Thoughts

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so glad you said this. I always think it when I read of people who are just taking a short or introductory (incomplete) course that, if they are lucky, prepares them for the CPC exam. That isn't enough. You are setting yourself up for failure.

You wrote what I've been wishing I could say to those people. Don't shortcut yourself. If you want to be a medical coder, you need all of it, not just part. It would be similar to an MT learning SOAP notes or maybe a clinic account and going out to get a job in a hospital as a medical transcriptionist. It doesn't work. The idea of getting a job doing outpatient so you can get experience before you take the CCS exam doesn't work. You need the whole thing, inpatient and outpatient, and you need to get the CCS, not just a CPC, certainly not just a CCA (employers want someone with a CCS, not a CCA), and you need those credentials as soon as you can get them.

I totally agree with what you wrote, especially this part:

"Also, no amount of outpatient coding experience will prepare you for inpatient coding. They are very different. You will spend years getting experience in a clinic only to discover that other specialties and hospitals won't consider it. Outpatient coding is fine, but keep in mind that it is easily automated so do not put all your eggs in that basket."

Similar Messages:

CPC Certification -- Outpatient Coding Only??
Mar 26, 2013

With every intent of taking some classes in the fall to be able to sit for the CPC exam, I just read a post from another coder that the CPC only qualifies you to code for doctor's offices.  I currently work in a hospital, with the idea to try to transition to a coding position.  Will this just be a big waste for me?  What about the CPC-H?    ...

Inpatient
Aug 09, 2012

Does anyone work as an inpatient coder only.  I mean the only thing you code are the inpatient stays, not a mix of other stuff too.  Are there jobs like that? ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Which Course Offers Inpatient Med Coding?
Mar 24, 2011

I am going to start a medical coding course at a community college but they are teaching outpatient insurance coding.  What do I need to do to be able to do inpatient coding in a hospital?  Is there a different test for certification for doing inpatient coding? ...

So Who Does Teach Inpatient Coding - Sm
Apr 26, 2011

I saw on AHIMA's site that they say you are to work for a while before taking the CCS but here I keep reading people that took it BEFORE even having a job.  How did you learn it well enough to pass the test w/o job experience? ...

Minimum Wage Is Better Than No Wage, I Guess
May 29, 2013

Too bad we can't just type our way to $16, $17, and upwards of $20 per hour anymore.  Shoot, with the amount of work available, I guess I should consider myself lucky to even get MINIMUM WAGE. (Wish I was)!  ...

Inpatient Pt Meds: Doc Spells Viatrivoate 1000 Ml P.o. X1.
Oct 07, 2011

? ...

Medicare Inpatient Consult Code/Modifier
May 11, 2012

Can anyone help me with the code used for inpatient consult and a modifier for Medicare? Having reimbursement problems with this one.  Thanks ...

Pt Evaluated In "I Mac" Clinic. Then Transfered Inpatient.
Aug 24, 2011

:) ...

There Must Be A Lot Of Difference In VR For
Oct 17, 2010

I have never been able to run much above 150 lph average doing VR for my company.  It is so horrid, I can usually type it quicker.  I cannot even imagine how anybody is doing 400-500 lph average.  Just pulling in the jobs, listening through patient information, filling in date of service, consulting physicians and such, fixing the ASR dictation and uploading the job -- there is no way on this earth it will ever happen at my company.  I need a new job apparently.  ...

What Is The Difference In Pay Between A T3 And A T4?
Apr 08, 2014

I did not realize there was even a T4 level with MModal.  Just noticed it in an e-mail today.  Thanks ...

What's The Difference Between TSM And TS
Jul 12, 2014

Anyone? ...

Seeing No Difference With Upgrade To 6.1
Sep 27, 2010

Is it just me or my region but the only difference I have seen in the upgrade is the doctor's data base and being able to number with the numbering function.  I have yet to see the headings column come up on the left with a job or have the option on the top that says "type headings as dictated."  When I try to use the alt-H for inserting headers it it is still coming up in the middle of the screen and it is not showing, "client preferred headings."  Pretty much anything that ...

Maybe The Difference Is Some Of Us Dont See Ourselves
Jan 22, 2011

treated as such. If you do nothing to change a bad situation, the bad situation will never change.  But I guess some, like my DS, thrive on the drama of poor me, I can do nothing to help myself, please feel sorry for me.  And others, like me, hate drama, hate being treated bad, and refuse to stand by and let it continue.  I will not let a MTSO rule my life to the point of draining my bank account, monopolizing my time and stomping on my self esteem. Why would I stay in a situation ...

Would It Make A Difference To You As An MT If Your...
Jul 20, 2011

CEO, COO, President, etc., came to you and said that management was taking a pay cut along with you?  Has anyone ever been told that their office staff or other support personnel have been doing without raises or taking pay cut with the bad economy?  Do they have mandatory reduction in hours when things are slow as there is no money coming in?  I'm just curious how much the nature of the beast affects everybody in a company versus the MTs and what the reasoning is.  Why ...

Difference Between MT Statuses
Aug 04, 2011

What is the difference between being an independent contractor, subcontractor and employee in medical transcription.  I'm now PT employee at MQ and looking.  Which would be the best status to be searching for?  Hope someone can help me understand this.  Thanks. ...

Unsure Of What Is The Difference
Sep 29, 2011

What would be the difference in being a coder in a  physician's clinic, insurance company, mental health facility or home health facility. Which setting would provide the most interesting work, the easiest, the least time-consuming? ...

Wmx - What's The Difference Between Native And New?
Oct 04, 2011

Hadn't used New version all that long (months?) before we switched back to Native.  I honestly do not see a difference between the two besides native having an ugly font.  Clue me in as to why the switch back, and what's the difference?  Thanks. ...

What Is An Easy Way To Tell The Difference Between These Two?
Mar 23, 2012

Procyte and Prosight I know that Prosight is a multivitamin.  I found both on WebMD's drugs and meds A-Z.  There was no information on Procyte.  It was just listed as Procyte Top.  I was not aware that there was a Procyte until earlier today.  The doctor dictated "And be careful you use the correct one, but I am unsure of the spelling."  That confused me a bit, so I did some research and the only place that I found any mention of Procyte was on WebMD.  An ...

Difference Between IC And Employee - S/m
Jul 21, 2012

Job hunting -:( not fun.  I see some places paying 8 and 4 cpl, seems to be the going rate but my question is - some places are IC and some have employee status.  Other than the obvious benefits, why would you want to be an IC?  I was self-employed with my husband years ago and it was a nightmare.  Had to pay $5000 for self-employment tax just to begin with.   Thanks for any info ! ...

What Is The Difference Between Tier 2 & 3?
Feb 02, 2013

Hey everyone, I am in the process of applying for a home based MT position, but i am wondering what the difference is between Tier 2 & 3. Thanks so much for any assistance you all can offer! ...

Difference In Pay For SR Vs Transcription
Mar 13, 2013

I've only done straight transcription in the past and just got hired by a company who apparently does both SR and transcription...can anyone give me info on their experiience as far as if I will make the same amount doing editing for SR as I would transcribing?  Looking at 0.04 cpl is a bit dauntiing.  I type really fast and it almost seems like I could straight transcribe a dictation at 0.08 cpl as fast as I could edit one at 0.04...just wondering about anyone else's experie ...

Need An Answer As To The Difference Between
Sep 19, 2014

using numberical 2 and Roman II, was told was between types and conditions of disease. Am confused, can you help? ...

Difference Between IC And Employee?
Nov 19, 2014

What's the difference between IC and employee?  Thanks. ...

What Difference Does It Make To The
Apr 17, 2015

scheduler person if we throw on a load of laundry while we stretch our legs?!?  We are allowed to stand up and stretch for god's sake!  The only thing she needs to worry about is our number of lines at the end of the day and if we worked our schedule.  That's literally all that matters.  Is it some kind of power/control trip?  Before, she said we're not supposed to take off and use PTO to go to the doctor, though of course it's okay for them to do tha ...

Can Someone Please Tell Me What The Difference Is, Please See Inside Message
May 15, 2010

What would be the difference in taking a Medical Coding Program such as Andrews or AHIMA offers, versus taking THIS BELOW that Herzing offers.  I see Herzing says Insurance coding. So career wise, what is really the difference between being a Coder and an insurance coder?  Is there any difference in the job, the pay, etc?   I have a Pell grant and you see, Andrews and AHIMA do not accept it. from Herzing Online University Medical Billing and Insurance Coding - Overview Med ...

Would An HIM Degree Make A Difference?
Jun 09, 2011

if I want to move to something other then transcription but stilll not waste the 12 years transcription experience I have?  ...

Difference Between Oriented And Orientated?
Jul 14, 2011

Pay Difference For Part-time
Dec 13, 2011

I am just wondering if most companies pay less per line if you work part time.  I have recently talked with my supervisor about possibly going part time (600 lines per day), and she told me if I chose to go part time, my pay per line would go down to 6 cpl from 7.  I can't imagine making less per line than I already do.  My skill level and quality will not decrease, so why would my pay?  ...

MT/Editor/Senior MT - Difference?
Feb 03, 2012

Hi Can someone please post the difference between a MT/ QC-Editor/Senior MT? ...