A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So who does teach inpatient coding - sm - Coder-to-be

Posted: Apr 26, 2011

I saw on AHIMA's site that they say you are to work for a while before taking the CCS but here I keep reading people that took it BEFORE even having a job.  How did you learn it well enough to pass the test w/o job experience?

Wide range of choices in coding education - From What I've Seen

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll tell you what I've seen and learned from my own experience. Most courses are more like 'Introduction To Coding' or are more academic than practical. Some are pretty much worthless because they have students write papers on all sorts of topics to keep them busy and students grade each others' work.

It takes a really solid coding course to get someone prepared for coding exams. Most courses aren't intended for that purpose and most students don't want to do the kind of work involved to reach that level.

Read the course description and you can usually tell if the course is designed to get you prepared for coding exams. If they are designed to reach that level of expertise, they will say so.

I am in a course already - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
What I want to know is, what specific program do you know of that teaches INPATIENT coding? Most teach outpatient only (the one I am in is outpatient only) and if I did want to do inpatient, does any course comprehensively teach only that?

inpatient coding - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews teaches both inpatient and outpatient. I am not familiar enough with the other schools to know for sure.
Thanks for that info - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought they did but wow! prices way up there for Andrews. Plus now I am doing the outpatient, I couldn't go through Andrews since they mix everything together and I'd just want the inpatient.

I appreciate your thoughts :)
Correction - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Just a clarification so people don't get confused by what you said . . . Andrews DOES NOT "mix everything together." They teach outpatient and inpatient as completely separate courses.

I had spoken to the Andrews lady on the phone - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
She is the one that told me everything is mingled together, meaning you can't just pick and choose what you want to learn. So if I just wanted inpatient or outpatient, I couldn't do that because you have to take the entire course to get both. That was my understanding.
I see what you're saying. Everything is not 'mingled' but both are included - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not the OP, but I also didn't understand what you were saying. Now I understand what you were trying to say.

That's true. Andrews does teach both OP and IP as a complete course. You don't study them both at the same time, but you do study and learn both. They will not allow students to just take one. It's a complete coding course including both.

Have you asked your instructor if there is an IP course they recommend? - Just a suggestion

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm guessing your instructor has been asked that question before and probably has recommendations. Have you asked him or her? That's where I would start, while waiting for more answers here.
Of course, I will have to do that - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
I am so focused on this class that I am not thinking of other questions I could be asking like this one. Duh! My instructor has like 10 credentials (no lie) so I will ask how she got her inpatient one. Thanks for suggesting something I should have thought of myself!
Inpatient courses - Curious coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I did the Career Step program and did inpatient and outpatient. I took the courses together (finished one, then started the other one), I don't know if they're available separately but you could check. AHIMA might have an inpatient only course. Andrews has a great reputation, and keep in mind that price includes books and everything you need, I think they're the only program that does that. I think I would want to ask why you want to learn inpatient coding only? There may be more job opportunities for you if you learn both.
As I stated above, I am in a program now - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
It is only outpatient. If I wanted to learn inpatient, I wondered who taught just that.
AHIMA - Curious coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Did you try the AHIMA website? Other than that I don't know. And sorry, I realized what you were asking after I had already posted my message.

Experience requirement - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
They do not say that you "are to work for a while before taking the CCS." They recommend 3 years of experience. This is a RECOMMENDATION, not a requirement.

Why do they recommend this? Because people who complete AHIMA-accredited and approved programs seem to be unable to pass the CCS until they have 3 years on-the-job experience. They used to say 2 years, now they have upped this to 3.

Does this mean that everyone needs 3 years of experience? No, not at all. If you take a course that DOES prepare you adequately and you do learn the material, then you can pass it right away.

What is the purpose of the experience? It is to give the person a chance to learn what they didn't learn in school.

I did speak to my instructor last night - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
She is actually going to be teaching an inpatient course in the fall with another woman who has been in the inpatient field for 25 years.

I personally like the classroom setting where you have a physical person to ask questions to and other students you can learn from.

She said as well, when you are done with the course you are taking, take the test right away while it is freshest in your mind.

What a great solution to your problem! - Glad to hear it.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad you found a solution to your problem!

Personally, I tend to fall asleep in classroom situations. I work better independently. That's probably because I've worked all my life and I just don't have time to sit around listening to lectures (I can read for myself), and I would go insane having to listen to other students ask questions when those are not questions that I have. When I was in classroom situations in the past I always kept jiggling my foot, tapping my finger, and thinking, if I were just at home, I could be getting something done, will this lecture never end?! LOL. That's why they have different kinds of learning situations for people with different learning styles. If I never, ever have to go into a lecture-style classroom situation again, I will feel very blessed, but I understand that others feel differently, and I respect that. I've just done it both ways and I've grown too independent to sit still that long I guess.

Good luck with your course. I hope it is everything you want it to be! Please stay around and update us on how it's going.
Honestly, I didn't think I'd be the classroom type - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
This instructor came highly recommended and she is very good and interesting. I was told by a few people (maybe not right for everyone but it was for me) to learn coding in a classroom setting. I honestly didn't think I'd care for it as I can't sit still anymore either but it seems to go fast and I find it interesting. I don't like when the "pain in the butt" student (see below) pipes in every 5 minutes but I try to tune him out. At least with him, I feel I could never ask a dumb question because his comments are the WORST, LOL!
I know what you mean about the pain in the rear fellow students asking stupid questions - Ex-Student
[ In Reply To ..]
Brings to mind the group of girls who got in a personal discussion about lingerie, and I won't go further into the details about that, but they actually brought them to class to show each other, during class. I will only go into another classroom situation if I get to hand-pick my classmates. LOL. Seriously, I prefer to study alone and take breaks when I need them and study when I want to. Sometimes I want to study in the middle of the night and other times I get up before the crack of dawn for some reason and I'm really motivated to study. My schedule wouldn't allow me to go to classes if I had to be there at a certain time, and sometimes my brain is just not in the mood to learn anything. On those days I'm just grateful that I can give my brain a rest and come back and hit the books, not coding books right now, but other studies, when my mind is ready to learn.

A few years ago everyone always recommended classroom lecture-style courses because they'd always done it that way and it shouldn't be done any other way. I still have some friends who feel that way. I've done both and I prefer learning at my own speed. In my classrooms in the past, sometimes they went so fast that they skipped over the parts that interested me and then spent way too much time on areas that I already understood and was bored with. I know people who like the social aspect to being around people in a classroom and I also know a few others who really need to have an instructor with them in person or they won't do the work. I already have enough social life and enough motivation, so the advantages to working in the comfort of my own home is important to me when I study anything these days. Thinking back on it, I can't remember ever having a classroom situation that I enjoyed other than one, eons ago, on word processing. That was a one-day course and I enjoyed it.

I agree about taking the test right away while it is fresh in yoru mind - My Opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
I definitely agree with your instructor that it's good to take the test right away while it is fresh in your mind. As far as learning from other students is concerned, not so much. It sounds like you have good instructors that you can learn from. In that case, you won't need to learn from other students. I've tried learning with and from other students in study groups and by listening to them in the classroom. Stick with the instructors and you won't learn things wrong as you may from students who don't know as much as they sound like they know. That's a story for another day. Good luck with your training!
Well, I'm trying not to "learn" from the others - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
I just think when they ask a question, it might be something I want to know, too. Of course there is one person in class (there is ALWAYS one) who asks the dumbest questions, says the dumbest things, talks out loud, swears, you name it and is just annoying. He is the one who initiated this class so I think the instructor just deals with him but if not for him, everyone else is great! There are only 9 of us so that is a nice number to deal with. Thanks for your thoughts!! :)
Good talking with you too! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Coder to be - Curious coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad that is going to work out for you, good luck with your class. I live in a rural area and our community college does not teach coding so I did an on-line course. I also think I would have liked to have the student/instructor interaction, maybe not for all of it but for some of the training, for feedback and to learn if others have the same challenges. Enjoy!
Thanks! I have a small class - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
There are only 9 of us. The instructor teaches at the community college but also has private classes, one I am in. When hospitals need their people certified, she comes in to teach private classes and I got in one of those classes (even though I don't work at that hospital). Kind of nice to take just coding instead of all the other stuff the college courses want you to take.

Thanks for the positive thoughts!
Suggestion . . . - Redpen
[ In Reply To ..]
There are very few courses that teach just inpatient coding. There isn't a large market for it.

My suggestion would be that you finish your current course and get an outpatient certification. Once you have that secure, do ICD-9-CM again -- literally, study it all over again -- on your own using Faye Brown's ICD-9-CM Coding Handbook. There are exercises and cases in the back. (Be sure to get the version with answers--just use a piece of paper to obscure the answers in the exercises until you have figured them out.) Also do all the inpatient exercises in Clinical Coding Workout (AHIMA). AHIMA also has texts that cover the inpatient reimbursement things (like DRGs) that you need to know. When you look up the requirements for the CCS exam, you should see them.

After that, you might consider HCPro's inpatient coding bootcamp to polish it all up.

Be aware that if you are only taking a coding course right now, unless you have a very good handle on A&P, pathophysiology, lab, and pharmacology, you will struggle with inpatient coding. You do need more than med terms to function in inpatient and that material does seem to be tested on the CCS. So, in addition to the coding itself, you might want to set up a self-study program that includes those subjects.

Thanks for the information - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
As I said below (lots of threads here, LOL), my current teacher is going to hold an inpatient course. Not sure that is the way I am headed yet. Want to see where the outpatient stuff takes me. I think there may be more opportunities in my area for outpatient than inpatient. It also sounds a little more in-depth than I may want at this point in my life, to be inpatient. I have been an MT for over 25 years in every field so I feel I have the basics down. Just taking this one step at a time to see where it leads me. Thanks!

3 year requirement - wannacode

[ In Reply To ..]
Early on in my transcription career I had the opportunity to become certified through my job. AAMT recommended that you have transcribed for 5 years before taking the certification exam. I had been transcribing for 2 years and not even all acute care. I studied AAMT's study guide and took the test. I passed it the first time. I just made sure that I followed the guidelines in their preparation guide. My supervisor who had been transcribing for 10 years took the test with me and did not pass.

I think that may be the case with the experience requirements for the CCS. If you study the AHIMA prep guide for the test, you should be able to do it. I am in their course right now and I plan to go straight to the CCS after I complete the course and study their prep guide. Good luck to you. Let us know how you do.

Can you tell me which exact course you are doing? - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
Curious as to which AHIMA course you are taking. I looked at them all and couldn't decide and they didn't have an exact inpatient one. Do they have a prep guide on their site? Thanks :)
Do they have someone to contact when you have questions like this? - Just wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not the person you were talking with above, but is there an instructor you can contact when you have questions like this? How does that work during the course you are taking?
AHIMA coding course and supporat - Coder WannaBe
[ In Reply To ..]
As far as getting questions answered during the course, I have not had to ask for assistance yet. I have been in medical records for 15 years, so I do have an advantage here. When I was trying to register for their courses, it was very difficult to get things going and I almost went to another school because of their lack of interest in my situation. Some of the people were not very professional. It took me almost 3 months to finally get started. I did have to go back and re-take my A&P prerequisite because they did not like the course that I had taken in college. Much of the time I was very discouraged by their lack of cooperation in getting things started. I did have a very unusual situation in that my course was being paid for by a 3rd party, being a government agency on top of that.

All in all, I believe that they offer the best training and since they are the ones giving the certification exam, I think that they would be the best to teach it. Their course is not difficult to do on your own and I am moving through it pretty easily, although, like I said, I do have a background in medical records/transcription. I have not yet had to ask for support, but there is a contact where you can post questions and they will respond in 24-36 hours, which is not great. There is also a board on their site that you can network with other students, and this can be helpful but you have to be careful and double check what they are telling you since they are also students.

There can be problems with taking a course with a live instructor also. I have previously taken coding classes where the instructor (an excellent coder) sat and read to us directly out of the book. Some of the community colleges that I have seen require very little from the instructors themselves, so check out their background first.

Please email if I can answer further questions.
Do you know of anyone who passed certification after taking their course? - Please see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for posting all of the information, both good and bad, about the program. It does sound like you are way ahead since you have a very strong background in medical records to help you.

Funny that you mentioned the instructor who sat and read directly from the book. There is a truly brilliant coder who instructs locally. Students come in, sit down, open their books. He opens his book. He reads to them word for word. I would go insane! I can read for myself. LOL. I think that's probably a case of someone who can code, but can't teach. I think it's important to get an instructor who is a successful coder but also knows how to teach.

Do you know anyone or know of anyone who took just this particular course and successfully sat for the certification exam? I've been waiting to hear from someone on here or elsewhere to report back that they passed it after taking the AHIMA course. Maybe you will be the first. I hope so because the message you wrote above was very helpful. Thanks again!
AHIMA coding course - WannaCode
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you asking if there is anyone who took just the coding classes or the whole coding basics course? I was going to take just the coding classes myself without going through AHIMA's coding basic course, but I ran into an unbelievable opportunity where I am being sponsored by a state program. I figured I might as well, although the first part has been a bit of a nuisance since I am taking classes that seem like just filler classes and are a pain in the behind. It is no different in other programs so I am just trying to go along with it. Who knows, may be of some use down the road, but do I really care about the history of healthcare delivery and how the Greeks developed the first healthcare system? Not too much.

I think that if you have some kind of background in medical records such as transcription, then you may be able to pass the CCA exam with just taking coding courses on your own. Just depends on how motivated you are and how much work you are willing to put into it.

Like I said, if I had not come across the opportunity to have someone sponsor me, I would have only taken the coding classes and tried to pass on my own.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Excellent information. Thanks! - Please see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much! That is good information to know, especially about the filler classes. I had to take one once with filler classes that required me to understand the various departments of a hospital and what they do. That was such a waste of time! I didn't learn anything that ever helped me, but it took up valuable time that I could have used to learn something useful. I didn't want an academic course. I wanted practical skills.

Good luck with your training. Please come back and write more as you get further into the course. Your information is always very helpful.
What about those assignments like - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Interview three people working in the industry.

Describe the duties of the

Write a paper on

Hey! When do I get to learn to code? LOL.

I truly believe they assign these filler tasks when they just want to keep students busy so they won't notice you aren't learning the main thing you came to learn. I know a girl who just graduated from a course in MT and was asked to teach the next semester. She had no idea how to teach it, so she kept making assignments to write essays on various topics. It did keep the students busy.
So is your goal to pass the CCA or the CCS or both? - Just wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you already have an 'in' with medical records, plus a lot of common sense, so it's a good idea for you to start with the CCA and then get your CCS. Most newcomers to HIM are going to have to have a CCS first though if they don't have those advantages that you have, because most of the jobs require either CCS or CPC. You are very fortunate to have all of that past work experience plus a sponsor. Let us know when you pass the CCA exam, will you? Do you know when you will probably be ready to take it?
Another question, LOL - Thanks In advance
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm just curious to know if you have had the opportunity to talk to any other students or graduates of the course you are taking that were able to pass the CCS when they were finished.

I realize you said your goal is to pass the CCA. Have you talked to any of the course's graduates who have got their CCA if they didn't try for the CCS? What do they say about it? Is it a hard test? Did they pass the first time? Did they give you any hints about what you should put more time studying before you take it? Did they give you any helpful information and did they tell you if they were able to get a job with the CCA or not and how they are doing on the job?

Similar Messages:

Which Course Offers Inpatient Med Coding?
Mar 24, 2011

I am going to start a medical coding course at a community college but they are teaching outpatient insurance coding.  What do I need to do to be able to do inpatient coding in a hospital?  Is there a different test for certification for doing inpatient coding? ...

Does Andrews Teach Technology?
May 12, 2010

Hi there people, I want to know from those who've attended or graduated from Andrews...are you taught technology in depth? I've gotten the impression that Andrews glosses it over. Also, do you get webinars and such? thanks a lot in advance~ brenda   ...

Is It That Hard For Companies To Teach A Platform?
Feb 25, 2015

I see job ads from time to time where I have all the qualifications except having experience on their transcription platform. Is it that hard to teach software? It shouldn't be a huge effort. I'm sure within a week or so of working, an MT working on a new platform would have it down. Just venting. ...

Inpatient
Aug 09, 2012

Does anyone work as an inpatient coder only.  I mean the only thing you code are the inpatient stays, not a mix of other stuff too.  Are there jobs like that? ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Wage Difference Between Inpatient And Outpatient
Mar 21, 2012

My local hospital starts at 26 an hour for inpatient coding.  I am wondering how much outpatient coding pays....  not that anyone would know this, but is it generally a lot lower than the inpatient coding? Just curious because I need to gain experience before I can land a hospital inpatient coding position and just curious as to how much outpatient coders make.   ...

Inpatient Pt Meds: Doc Spells Viatrivoate 1000 Ml P.o. X1.
Oct 07, 2011

? ...

Medicare Inpatient Consult Code/Modifier
May 11, 2012

Can anyone help me with the code used for inpatient consult and a modifier for Medicare? Having reimbursement problems with this one.  Thanks ...

Pt Evaluated In "I Mac" Clinic. Then Transfered Inpatient.
Aug 24, 2011

:) ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

MT To Coding
Sep 27, 2010

I've been an MT for going on 8 years now, and I've been throwing around the idea of taking a coding class. I would really like to have something else to fall back on, as it seems that MT'ing is going more and more to VR. There's a local coding class that begins in January for $1700, but I wanted to get some feedback of current coders before signing up. Is the demand for coders still fairly high? Is it hard to find a job as a newbie, even with already having experience in the ...

Is Coding The Way To Go?!
Jan 19, 2011

I have almost 12 years experience as an MT (turn 30 in a month ACK!)  My mom has been telling me for a couple years now (since it started going downhill) that I should maybe think about coding as a career.  I guess she thinks I'd be good at it, but I have no idea.  I have just started my research but I thought I would kind of get some pros and cons about it see if anyone had advice or thoughts on anyone thinking about it.  I always feel like I'm too old to start som ...

What Do You (did You) Like Best About Your Coding Course?
Dec 27, 2011

What was the best thing about the coding course you took? Did it prepare you for the CCS and CPC exams or maybe just the CCA? Did you take any of those exams and did you pass or fail them?  What course did you take? Did you think it was hard or easy? You don't need to answer all of the questions, but maybe a couple of them. Thanks.  ...

I Keep Looking At Coding, Considering It But........
Feb 11, 2012

there's just ONE little thing that keeps me doubting the possibility of it being a long-term career: I keep seeing more and more ads every week for "at home coders".  Does this make you at least a little nervous?  It makes me a LOT nervous.  We all know that once MTs started working from home, the MT field went into a tailspin, pay-wise, because "work-at-home" seems to translate into "work-in-India", instead.  Also I see some ads for MTSOs that also offer coding.  ...

E&M Coding?
Apr 16, 2012

Is Evaluation and management coding hard to learn? ...

Coding Vs MT, What To Do....
May 10, 2012

I am generally pretty good at making my own decisions; however, I need advice on what to do in this situation. I am currently an MT making $55,000-$60,000 year. The last few years MT work slowed down due to VR/EMR and it was harder and harder to replace lost accounts. While I was looking for another client/MTSO to fill the gap last year, I took a college course for coding and passed the CPC thinking I would have a back-up plan if needed; however, I found more MT work shortly after passing the C ...

How Did You Get Your First Coding Job?
Aug 14, 2012

I passed the CCS and CPC exam 8 months ago but have yet to find a job :(.  I busted my bu** to become a certified coder, and now that I am one, no one will hire me without experience.  I live in a small town.  We have one hospital.  I applied and was flat out told they cannot hire coders without minimum 2 years experience.  I asked if I could volunteer or job shadow and they said no.  No jobs there in HIM at all.  Our local medical clinic has a coding company t ...

Coding As An Art: Another Way To Look At Coding
Oct 12, 2012

I think it's a good artcile about coding and will give you a glimpse into it too. ...

Is Coding Going To Go The Same Way As MT?
Jul 09, 2013

Before I take this leap of faith into coding school, will the EHR/VR technology be sinking the coding ship too?   ...

Help With Coding Course
Jul 21, 2013

Can anyone help out with a basics coding course I am taking? ...

Be Sure You Know What You're Getting Into With The Coding
Mar 12, 2014

Just got an e-mail from my manager stating that if you get accepted into the program, all money paid while training will have to be paid back if you do not complete or pass the course or if you pass and do not stay with the company for 24 months following completion of the training. You also still have to work your regular number of hours. If you can't get your homework done in the 20 paid hours, then you will have to do it on your own time. ...

Considering Coding And Have
May 14, 2014

I've seen lots of people ask questions about coding, but I have some questions I haven't seen asked before and was hoping somebody could answer them.  I'd hate to go to school for something and then learn the hard way that I hate the job.  BTDT and don't want to do it again! -What do you like best about coding? -What do you hate about coding? -What is the most stressful part of the job? -What kinds of people would like coding? Thanks in advance for any answers ...

So I'm Trying To Get Out Of MT And Was Considering Coding
May 19, 2015

based on reading here that they prepare you for the CCS, which is know is pretty much mandatory .  Anyway, what I read there about their coding program sounded really good, but then I read about their transcription program.  I now have lost respect for this school.  How can I believe what they say about coding when they tout medical transcription as still being a good career?   I know I work for the notoriously WORST of the worst company, Nuance, but I think all MT companie ...

Coding Won't Die - Here's Why
Jun 10, 2015