A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

modifier 25 and 27 - help

Posted: Aug 01, 2013

Critical Access Hospital (CAH), Medicare Claims Processing Manual, forget the CPT code book even though you are looking at CPT codes for the clinic visits, lab, and x-ray.  Ok.  Ok.  So freaking confused right now.  When I was trained, they told me any clinic or ER that did an x-ray, EKG, injection, procedure, put a modifier 25 on it.  Period.  Well, after doing some research modifier 25 states SAME PHYSICIAN...Come to find out not all x-rays, just CT, MRI...My main problem is they are telling me modifier 25 for the hospital does not matter if it's the SAME PHYSICIAN.  It does not matter who did the orders.  Forget the description of the modifiers that you find in the code books.  What the heck?  I think maybe modifier 27 for hospital encounter multiple done same day...

So, I emailed compliance officer and she told me to forget about the CPT code book.  It does not apply here.  It only applies to physician offices not the hospital.  But, she just gave us a description of modifier 25 and it does not state SAME PHYSICIAN anywhere in the description like in the coding books.  She said, by the way, certified coders gave this information to her...none of us are certified - yet.  She is using the medicare Claims Processing Manual and tells me to ignore the outpatient stuff even though I am coding clinics, labs, and x-rays done at the hospital.  Could anybody help me figure this out please?  This is driving me crazy.

It depends on what you are coding for - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Please state exactly what you are coding and who you are coding for.

I think the problem is that you are trying to code physician services, but you are at a hospital. That has a lot to do with this.

i am at hospital but coding clinics at hospital - help

[ In Reply To ..]
I am coding ancillary lab and x-ray but sometimes the clinic visits done the same day are showing up on the charges. Sometimes they go to gyn clinic, fam prac clinic, and do lab or x-ray from last visit. Yes, I work for a critical access hospital.

Does this help? - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Read this. See what it says in the line above the 1st paragraph?

http://www.or.regence.com/provider/library/policies/reimbursement-policies/modifiers/modifier-25-significant-separately-identifiable-evaluation-and-management-service.html

Also take a look at this.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cpt%20modifier%2027&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cms.gov%2FRegulations-and-Guidance%2FGuidance%2FTransmittals%2Fdownloads%2Fa0180.pdf&ei=4-n6Ua6ZH62y4AOF0oCoCQ&usg=AFQjCNHUTtXdCcbQcb_3nmXjaTX4KQ8jxQ

I found that by googling cpt modifier 27.

It isn't that we ignore the CPT book, but that CMS has its own policies. You have to follow those, too.

You are also coding for a facility, not a doctor's office. I do not think you are coding just one physician's services. It appears that you are coding the facility part of things for everything on one day.

When you see a doctor in his office, he bills for his professional services, which includes his office overhead.

At a facility, you will bill for his professional services plus bill for the use of your facility. Or, if he bills his prof services himself, you will just bill the facility use.

The lab sends a bill for the pathologist, but you bill for the lab's physical use. The radiology group sends a bill for the radiologist interpreting the film, but you bill for the tech taking the film and developing it. You are billing the technical portion, I think. Remember technical and professional portions from school?

For the E&M, that doctor did not do the lab test or x-ray, nor did he interpret it. He just did the office visit. Someone else did the lab and x-ray. He billed his part, they billed theirs, and you are billing the FACILITY charges for that day.

It is not the same doctor doing all this, either. We expect that at facilities. That is why that first link says it does not apply to facilities.

Look at those links and try to see if you can explain what it is saying. That will help you understand this.

It is so annoying to spend time on something like this - for no apparent reason
[ In Reply To ..]
When the person doesn't care enough to answer, say thanks, ask more questions, or anything else.

Not OP and not even a coder but I found it - interesting, so thanks
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an MT and I love being an MT and I work for a hospital. My job is very steady but I always have in the back of my mind "you never know" so I am looking at coding to see if this is something I might want to look into.

I haven't looked at the links yet and even knowing only part of the coding process found you answer very informative.

So, from someone other than the OP and who's not even a coder, thanks.
Help OP - Hmmm
[ In Reply To ..]
I did not realize I had to thank anyone within a specific time frame. :)
I checked for responses several times Friday then I went OUT OF TOWN CAMPING for the weekend. No Internet. Driving home. I am always appreciative of answers to my questions. Thanks for links and explanation. It makes more sense.
I am OP and you should read - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
Out of town for weekend. No internet. Checked several times Friday. Checked Sunday. As stated below, I ALWAYS appreciate responses to my questions. I found the information valuable, so thank you to the poster.

Similar Messages:

Compound Modifier?
Jul 07, 2011

Is it allergic looking or allergic-looking? ...

Eponym Modifier Without The Noun
Feb 14, 2010

Arrrrgh! Eponyms! I have been researching and researching and there are lots of articles etc. on whether to use the possessive form or not. I have that down - I was taught no possessive unless it is a client preference or transcribe as dictated; okay, no problem. But no one seems to even address the question of using the possessive form if the noun that goes with it is not dictated, i.e. "Hoffmann's" or "Sjogren's." I believe we are to leave it possessive as it is a ...

Medicare Inpatient Consult Code/Modifier
May 11, 2012

Can anyone help me with the code used for inpatient consult and a modifier for Medicare? Having reimbursement problems with this one.  Thanks ...