A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Which course offers Inpatient Med Coding? - mt2coder

Posted: Mar 24, 2011

I am going to start a medical coding course at a community college but they are teaching outpatient insurance coding.  What do I need to do to be able to do inpatient coding in a hospital?  Is there a different test for certification for doing inpatient coding?

inpatient coding - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews teaches both inpatient and outpatient coding in their program. I think the CCS is the most accepted certification for inpatient coding as a general rule, whereas the CPC tends to be more for outpatient coding. This is not a hard and fast rule, but just what I've noticed tends to be accepted. There is a lot of overlap between inpatient and outpatient coding. Some of the rules are different but it's not really 2 completely different things.

Similar Messages:

So Who Does Teach Inpatient Coding - Sm
Apr 26, 2011

I saw on AHIMA's site that they say you are to work for a while before taking the CCS but here I keep reading people that took it BEFORE even having a job.  How did you learn it well enough to pass the test w/o job experience? ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Inpatient
Aug 09, 2012

Does anyone work as an inpatient coder only.  I mean the only thing you code are the inpatient stays, not a mix of other stuff too.  Are there jobs like that? ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Wage Difference Between Inpatient And Outpatient
Mar 21, 2012

My local hospital starts at 26 an hour for inpatient coding.  I am wondering how much outpatient coding pays....  not that anyone would know this, but is it generally a lot lower than the inpatient coding? Just curious because I need to gain experience before I can land a hospital inpatient coding position and just curious as to how much outpatient coders make.   ...

Inpatient Pt Meds: Doc Spells Viatrivoate 1000 Ml P.o. X1.
Oct 07, 2011

? ...

Medicare Inpatient Consult Code/Modifier
May 11, 2012

Can anyone help me with the code used for inpatient consult and a modifier for Medicare? Having reimbursement problems with this one.  Thanks ...

Job Offers
Apr 19, 2012

I would be wary of job offers that expect you to test with multiple files.  I would be suspicious that this is simply how they get a lot of work done when they are short handed.  It's ridiculous to have to take such rigorous testing, especially when they are so picky about the length of time employed as an MT.  If the company is only considering those who have been MTs for 9 years or more, why such rigorous testing??  Sounds fishy to me. ...

2 Job Offers
Nov 06, 2013

Just received 2 job offers and am going back and forth on which one to accept. One is from SoftScript and the other is from Saince, both PT, both offer benefits once I go FT with them...same hours for both. Anyone have input on either company, positive or negative?....hopefully mostly positive? I have 2 days to figure this out. I know it's my decision, but I thought maybe reading some opinions might help me lean one way or the other. TIA ...

When A Company Offers - Sm
Dec 10, 2009

pay for an IC for a 65 readable character line, does that mean they don't pay for spaces?  ...

Plenty Of Job Offers
Dec 01, 2010

So here is a blindly obvious question. With all of the job ads on this site, who is getting hired? Are they actually real jobs that are being posted by "real" people who actually need MT work done? Are any of you applying and getting these jobs. I have found that there is NEVER a shortage of MT jobs to apply for. There are ALWAYS ads on several sites soliciting the help of both experienced and newer MT's. As many MT's that are on this site I think I would here a few more success s ...

More Jobs & Offers? (sm)
Apr 03, 2014

It seems there have been more jobs posted this week.  After only hearing from one company in the two months I've been searching for work I got two more offers to test and one possible offer on a job in the last two days.  I'd like to know i others have noticed this increase in work or if it's just coincidence.  It seems many lost work after the beginning of the year, so wondering if the providers had a rude awakening with unedited reports? ...

Two Offers On My Table
Jun 05, 2014

About 3 years ago I was offered a position outside of home in a new medical practice, new doc in town.  They made me so many promises and offered so much, but long story short, I took the job, left my home MT job of 12 years with "big M co".  It was NOT a good move.  Mean doc who left all office decisions to his manager, who was fresh out of high school and a personal friend of his family...  There was constant firing and hiring going on. Last month, it was my turn.  ...

Job Offers: 0.04 / 0.05 Cents Per Line
Jul 30, 2010

Hello all.. this will be my first real job.. I've applied at several places, taken the tests, sent in resumes... and now I'm getting calls with job offers. These people are company owners who sound very nice and legitimate, but what I'm being offered sounds pretty low.  The first company says: 0.04 cents per line, and the second one says they pay 0.05 cents.  The second company says they pay by the "byte" rather than by the line.  You take the total number of bytes ...

Job Wanted Board - Any Job Offers?
Jun 14, 2011

Has anyone ever gotten a job after they've posted on the Job Wanted Board?  Just wondering.  (sorry if this is the wrong board to post this message) ...

Two Completely Different Type Of Job Offers..HELP!
Jun 07, 2011

I have had two job offers this morning and they are two completely different scenarios.  1st offer...80% VR 20% ESL 8 cpl typing 5 cpl VR, new program to learn.  2nd offer...100% straight typing 25% ESL 8.5 cpl typing, program already experienced on. Between VR editing and straight typing options, which is going to give me more money.   I know this board is going to be full of both opinions, but will read them all.    I'm not revealing the compan ...

What's This? Hiring With Bonus Offers?
Jun 08, 2014

I'm not happy with a hiring frenzy knowing my primary account seldom has any work!  Why don't they offer us a line count increase instead of hiring more people to consistently run us out of work?  Just a thought. ...

Inscribe LLC Offers Employee Status?
Apr 27, 2011

Does anyone know if Inscribe LLC offers employee status?  They contacted me from the resume board here and I know nothing about them but need a job ASAP.  Comments? Concerns?  Thank you !!! ...

I Heard That MQ Offers A CMT Differential? Are You Kidding Me?
Jul 25, 2011

Why do I find it hard to believe that they would actually give a shift diff for ANYTHING.  They are in the business of reducing/cutting/taking AWAY not giving, especially if they really don't need to.  Does anyone here actually get a CMT differential or know that there is one?  Do you think it is actually worth it?  I hate ADHI but I do like to EAT and with these pay cuts, that is getting harder to do! Please, no bashers of the CMT, I've heard it all.  I KNOW ...

Resume Bank Job Offers From Posting?
Jul 25, 2012

Has anyone had any job offers from posting their resume in the resume bank? ...

Help: Job Offers From Both Synernet And Amphion. What Should I Choose?
Jan 04, 2013

I have full-time job offers right now from both Synernet and Amphion and I don't know what to do.  They are both for the same shift/days.  Synernet is straight typing and Amphion is mostly VR.  I just don't know what do choose.  Anybody have opinions? ...

Anyone Work For A Company That Offers Quarterly Bonuses? 
Oct 14, 2011

Anyone work for a company that offers quarterly bonuses?  ...

Does Anyone Work For A Company That Offers Kaiser Insurance To Their Employees?
Apr 03, 2010

I live in California and MedQuist has just decided to cancel their contract with Kaiser which we have had for years.  I really don't want to start over finding a new doctor but I am willing to find a new place of employment so I can keep my insurance with Kaiser.  Thanks for the info.  It is very hard to find this information on the internet. ...

Pt Evaluated In "I Mac" Clinic. Then Transfered Inpatient.
Aug 24, 2011

:) ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...