A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Could anyone recommend good medical coding websites? - FourGalore

Posted: Jan 31, 2012

Hello,

I am becoming disenchanted with the medical transcription profession and how it has become less lucrative (although some may disagree).

I wanted to look into medical coding as an alternative at-home (remote) or in-office job.  I was hoping someone could recommend a few good websites that discuss the profession, how to prepare for it, how long training typically takes before you can "launch yourself", how lucrative it could be if you really apply yourself, and so on.

I've heard mixed reviews about coding and I'd like to research this possibility to help me make my own sensible and intelligent career decisions.

THANKS

Here are some to get you started - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
AAPC (includes salary surveys), local chapters near you.
AHIMA (includes salary surveys), maybe local chapter near you.
DecisionHealth, including CodingAnswers, ACDIS and justcoding.com
PMIC
Ingenix (publisher of high-quality coding-related products)
Z-Health
American Hospital Association
American Medical Association (owners of the CPT code set)

CMS (Medicare) -- See how you feel about plowing your way through all that stuff. (We kind of enjoy it.) There is an educational side to it called the "Medicare Learning Network." You can google it. There is a ton of information there, including a bunch of free web-based training units. Register and try the one on Fraud and Abuse. You do not need to know coding to understand it. Also try the one on ICD-9 coding. Look at the coding manuals, fee schedules, claims information, audit information, DRG information, prospective payment information, and whatnot. (Somebody has to wrangle all of that stuff; that someone is us.)

thank-you very much for your help... - FourGalore

[ In Reply To ..]
...whoever you are! :)

Ditto! - MTLC

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been to some of the sites and gotten some great info - if you go to the AAPC look at the forums and read through the sticky notes thread. Lotsa good reference info there and is really what got me thinking I would enjoy coding. Also, I do google-style searches on this site and get lots of great info in the archives. Lots of smart people help out on this board.

I am not yet taking a course - time constraints at the moment. Personally, I am a big fan of Andrews because they try to get you ready for CPC and CCS. Having both credentials may help in getting that first job, along with having the MT background.

Hoping you will come back to share what you learned - From those websites NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Here is one to follow (sm) - MT2coder2

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd posted it before, and it was promptly deleted. I will have to give you the search words then: "future of medical transcription coding corner"

Similar Messages:

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Coding Program For An
Apr 26, 2015

xx ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Medical Spellcheck System?
Oct 01, 2010

Considering going the IC route and need a recommendation for a very good medical spellcheck.  Thanks in advance! ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

Medical Websites
Aug 29, 2011

Are there any medical websites that are like textbooks for dermatology, cardiology, etc. I can't seem to find very much in-depth information on the web. I am trying to pass some on-line transcription tests, but can't seem to find enough detailed information. Any help would be greatly appreciated ...

Helpful Medical Transcription Websites
Jan 23, 2012

Just want to make a list of helpful MT websites. 1. www.mtstars.com add more helpful websites to this list. amanda ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Anyone Recommend A Good Headset?
Nov 04, 2009

I have 2 headsets and in both the right side has gone out, which is aggravating.  Would greatly appreciate any recommendations on headsets!! TIA ...

Can Someone Please Recommend A Good Company
Mar 02, 2012

Anybody Recommend A Good Set Of Headphone
Jun 16, 2014

Can anybody recommend a good set of headphones, over the ear style?  I do have a slight hearing impairment and really need a good set.  Thank you in advance for the suggestions.   ...

Recommend A Good Company
Sep 17, 2014

Can someone recommend a good company to work for? Possibly someone that has benefits but not required.   Thanks! ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Website To Look Up Medications?
Jan 17, 2010

nm ...

Can Anyone Recommend Good Cordless Headphone?
Jun 01, 2010

I often transcribe while nursing and my baby keeps breaking my headphones by tugging on the cord very hard.  I'm thinking cordless headphones are the way to go so he has nothing to grab on to.  Can any of you recommend a good brand of cordless headphones?  Thanks! ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Accounting Software
Jun 18, 2013

We are going to start a small business (nothing to do with MT) and eventually have employees. I am completely fuddle-headed with math functions, even simple addition and subtraction. I was thinking about a small bookkeeping class at a local tech school, or possibly an on-line course. I hate to put a lot of money into a class for any type of degree or certificate, with a lot of things to learn that I don't really need or want. I would like to find a simple (... For Dummies) accounti ...

Recommend A Good Word Expander Program?
Jun 01, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good word expander program?  Preferably free or inexpensive?  Thanks! ...

Recommend A Good Digital Voice Recorders?
Aug 25, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good digital voice recorder for the office I work in?  We are still using tapes and it drives me crazy.  They are looking into switching to a digital recorder and I need suggestions for a good one.   Thanks in advance, Michelle ...

Would You Still Recommend At-home Medical Transcription, In 2011
Nov 05, 2011

I was trained as a Medical Transcriptionist at a two-year college from 1990 to 1992.  I worked at a hospital for a couple of years doing radiology, non-invasive cardiology, and neurology transcription, then I got married and moved.  Soon thereafter, I started work at a mental health clinic as a Medical Transcriptionist with 12 other transcriptionists.  This was in late 1993 and I am still there as of right now.  The 12 transcriptionists have either left or been laid off over ...

Can Anybody Please Recommend A Good, Reliable, Inexpensive EFax Service? TIA.
Sep 10, 2010

nm ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

Looking For The Medical Coding Job
Sep 29, 2013

Hi everyone   I am an experienced medical coder(3 years) from India. Got CPC certification.  Is there any opportunity for me to work in US. If yes,  How should i proceed with?...What are the requirements.....Currently iam working in India... Kindly reply ...

Medical Coding Help!!
May 14, 2014

Hi I am currently enrolled in coding and scheduled for my CPC exam next month. I am so confused with all of it!! I really don't understand what you are supposed to code exactly from a note? Do you code everything, pmh, social history, procedures, impression, diagnoses? This is the hardest part for me, is knowing exactly what I am supposed to code. I had thought that it was just mainly the procedures and the disagnoses or impression, but sometimes it seems to be things listed in the whole r ...

Medical Coding Outside The US
Sep 17, 2014

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me! I am currently a remote coder for a hospital in NC. I am going to be moving to Costa Rica next year and am trying to find a contract company that will allow me to work outside the US. When I started my search I didn't think it would be hard, I figured with remote positons becoming so popular it wouldn't matter what country I was working in as long as I can connect to the internet. Unfortunately, I've called and emailed many companies and the ...

Can You Succeed In Coding If You Aren't Good At MT
Apr 05, 2012

I'm very interested in learning new things. I have a certificate in cosmetology, an associate degree in business admin/microcomputers (worthless now because I learn pre-windows), had a real estate license (couldn't make money in my area), a dental assitant diploma (can no longer work in the field due to a latex allergy and a hip replacement due to a tumor), and a MT certiificate. All the other fields academically I did VERY well at but MT was a struggle for me because I could never dev ...

Looking For A Good Online Coding College
Jul 17, 2012

After much research i had decided on taking coding classes through Andrew College. Unfortunately since they are not an acredited college Vocational Rehab will not help pay. Can anyone recommend a good acredited college or one that accepts FASA grants? Looking to take online courses or classes in Ft. Wayne, IN. ...

Coding :: Do You Feel The Compensation Is Good?
Jan 08, 2013

I have had my own medical transcription business for almost 30 years.  Recently, my largest client informed me they are going to start using a template that docs will fill out when they see patients.  I am losing a lot of income and really need to replace it.  My friend told me that coding is a good thing to get into now.  I don't want to spend the time and/or money learning that if the pay is not good and the jobs aren't plentiful.  I have tons of medical transcription experience ...

How Long Should A Thorough, Good Coding Program
Jan 16, 2015

variables involved, i.e. FT/PT, working, not working, etc. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure from those who have already completed a program. Thanks for any info! ...

Has Anybody Been Trained To Do Medical Coding And Do They Like It?
Nov 10, 2010

Has anybody been trained to do medical coding and do they like it?  I am trying to figure out where to go next since transciption no longer pays the bills and I am sick of sitting down for 12 hours a day.  I am ready to work away from home.  I just do not want to invest time and money in classes where I cannot get a job or where the pay is worse that what we make now.  ...

Is Medical Coding A Better Way To Go Now Rather Than Transcription?
Mar 29, 2011

Is medical coding now a better way to go rather than transcription? ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...