A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can anyone recommend a good coding program for an - MT? Time to switch paths.

Posted: Apr 26, 2015

xx

Andrews has a quality program that prepares you for both CPC and CCS - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine doing it any other way than Andrews if you want both CPC and CCS training, and that's what you want if you've been paying attention. Good luck to you in your future coding career. You're going to wish you had done it years ago.

Andrews is the name I've been seeing everywhere. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Wanted to double check before jumping into anything. And thanks for the well wishes. I already wish I'd done it years ago. :)

If by "for an MT" you were thinking ... - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
If you were thinking that an MT would be able to skip some material, you really cannot. You will be ineligible for the AHIMA exams if you attend a school that does not offer it. Schools that let you skip are doing you no favors.

While what you know will help you learn coding and perform your job, you need more than you think for coding, especially for ICD-10. Coders around the country are taking courses because their programs did not teach enough. MT programs definitely did not.

You need the review anyway before you attempt a certification exam. You can make faster progress through what you already know.

Thanks. I wondered about that. - About Andrews
[ In Reply To ..]
Seems like they have a monopoly going in terms of where to go. Not a true monopoly in the sense of the word, but it seems that's the only name really coming up program wise. What's up with that?
Who else would you recommend? The floor is open - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not very many medical coding schools get recommended after their graduates find out they don't qualify for the very important CCS exam, can't pass employment tests and/or get jobs actually doing coding. The Andrews School is set apart for those reasons, but anyone can recommend other schools if they want. They just don't.
The post you replied to did not mention Andrews - YOU brought it up
[ In Reply To ..]
Umm, the post you replied to did not say one word about Andrews, so where are you getting your "monopoly" and "what's up with that" business?

Looks rather like you are trying to start an argument.

Coding schools - Joanie

[ In Reply To ..]
Career Step is the best education around for a great value. They teach you just what you need and they have a reputation for graduating quality employees. They have a fast track course for MTs but I'm not sure if it's only for former CS students. If you decide to enroll use my name as I can get a referral bonus. Not sure if the student gets benefits too. You would not regret going with Career Step!

There you have it! Who could resist a testimonial - given with such pure motives?

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought they stopped paying for referrals years ago!

How close are you to finishing, anyway? Can you stop back when you pass the CCS and let us know how the job search is going? We would love to hear.

Seriously? - Joanie

[ In Reply To ..]
They still do referrals but I have no ulterior motives. Don't be so quick to judge someone's motives when you don't even know them. Fine, don't use my name. I still think Career Step is the best school around. I have taken 3 courses with them and was completely satisfied. Are you happy now?
Why 3 courses? Were you not able to get a job with - what you learned?
[ In Reply To ..]
Not trying to be rude here, but the goal is a job.

There are people who take courses just to have something to do, but most of us do it for the job.

As for not regretting going with them, I know I would. There are at least 3 coding grads here who do regret it.

LOL Too funny. Are we supposed to just put - "Joanie" on the referral?

[ In Reply To ..]
Which one? You don't give a full name. LOL. Yeah, that post is from someone who works at Career Step.
Way back when ... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Back in the day, their MT students used to practically pay their tuition with referrals.

There were a couple similar posts a month or so ago. They were reported and removed.

Factors for me - SadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was trying to decide the same thing a few months ago. I knew someone at career step who could get me a discount on the course. I was also looking into Andrews because that is where I went for MT school and have never had a problem getting a job. I tried contacting some people at career step and they never would call me back. Andrews school called me back right away. My MT experience definitely has been a help with the terminology tests at Andrews. I'm almost done with the first module of Andrews and I actually started a job in billing recently, hoping to move to coding once I graduate. Career step called me back when I was in my third week at Andrews, I think they were trying to put me off until their promotion of an iPad with tuition ended because they called me the day after the promotion ended.

I remember you! You are making good progress! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember that! Good for you on your progress and your new job. I am going to think of you as "HappyCoder" now, not SadMT. 😉

Similar Messages:

Recommend A Good Word Expander Program?
Jun 01, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good word expander program?  Preferably free or inexpensive?  Thanks! ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Could Anyone Recommend Good Medical Coding Websites?
Jan 31, 2012

Hello, I am becoming disenchanted with the medical transcription profession and how it has become less lucrative (although some may disagree). I wanted to look into medical coding as an alternative at-home (remote) or in-office job.  I was hoping someone could recommend a few good websites that discuss the profession, how to prepare for it, how long training typically takes before you can "launch yourself", how lucrative it could be if you really apply yourself, and so on. I've hear ...

How Long Should A Thorough, Good Coding Program
Jan 16, 2015

variables involved, i.e. FT/PT, working, not working, etc. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure from those who have already completed a program. Thanks for any info! ...

Learn From My Mistake About Picking A Good Coding Program
Jan 20, 2012

I am in my last semester of an HIT program at my local community college.  This program is accredited through CAHIIM.  I actually found this program on the AHIMA website as an approved AHIMA coding program and was so excited that it was in my hometown.  Well, almost two years later and $4000 in student debt, I still have no idea how to code.  Sure, I'm great at Math 101 and English 101 and my anatomy is amazing, but I have no idea how to code.  One class that I have ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

What FTP Program Would You Recommend
Feb 14, 2011

I am almost finished my online course and have started looking at Job Postings.  I noticed one company requesting an FTP Program for file transfers.  I have been training with Express Scribe, which they specifically said they do NOT use.  Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use FTP Program?   ...

Can Anyone Recommend A FREE Antivirus Program Or Even ... SM
Jan 31, 2014

a free-trial antivirus?  My current one is expiring very shortly & I cannot afford what they're asking just right now. Some anti-virus programs will advertise FREE when you google them, then will require  you to pay up front.  Some will let you upload them and "Save" them, but then won't open or work when you try.  Will appreciate any advice.  Thx.   ...

Can You Recommend An Accurate Line Counting Program For Gross Lines?
Mar 10, 2010

I have been using MPCount for several years but recently upgraded to a new laptop & it will not work on it - incompatible. I tried out their new trial version of MPTools but it does not count my gross lines the same & I would be losing more $ than I would like with it. There is something programmed into the newer version that counts differently somehow. (That was even confirmed with the person who produced this program.) Are there any other line counting software programs out t ...

Anyone Recommend A Good Headset?
Nov 04, 2009

I have 2 headsets and in both the right side has gone out, which is aggravating.  Would greatly appreciate any recommendations on headsets!! TIA ...

Can Someone Please Recommend A Good Company
Mar 02, 2012

Anybody Recommend A Good Set Of Headphone
Jun 16, 2014

Can anybody recommend a good set of headphones, over the ear style?  I do have a slight hearing impairment and really need a good set.  Thank you in advance for the suggestions.   ...

Recommend A Good Company
Sep 17, 2014

Can someone recommend a good company to work for? Possibly someone that has benefits but not required.   Thanks! ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Website To Look Up Medications?
Jan 17, 2010

nm ...

Can Anyone Recommend Good Cordless Headphone?
Jun 01, 2010

I often transcribe while nursing and my baby keeps breaking my headphones by tugging on the cord very hard.  I'm thinking cordless headphones are the way to go so he has nothing to grab on to.  Can any of you recommend a good brand of cordless headphones?  Thanks! ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Accounting Software
Jun 18, 2013

We are going to start a small business (nothing to do with MT) and eventually have employees. I am completely fuddle-headed with math functions, even simple addition and subtraction. I was thinking about a small bookkeeping class at a local tech school, or possibly an on-line course. I hate to put a lot of money into a class for any type of degree or certificate, with a lot of things to learn that I don't really need or want. I would like to find a simple (... For Dummies) accounti ...

Recommend A Good Digital Voice Recorders?
Aug 25, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good digital voice recorder for the office I work in?  We are still using tapes and it drives me crazy.  They are looking into switching to a digital recorder and I need suggestions for a good one.   Thanks in advance, Michelle ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Medical Spellcheck System?
Oct 01, 2010

Considering going the IC route and need a recommendation for a very good medical spellcheck.  Thanks in advance! ...

Can Anybody Please Recommend A Good, Reliable, Inexpensive EFax Service? TIA.
Sep 10, 2010

nm ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

I Am Almost Done With My Coding Program But
Sep 22, 2011

now I don't know if I want to be a coder :(.  I planned on taking the CPC and then after a few years taking the CCS.  Before I started my program, I was naive and didn't realize how difficult and complex coding is.  I don't know that I can sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and code all day long.  It's almost too much like MTing (desk work, I mean).  Plus, I am not confident in my ability to even pass the CPC.  I am not very satisfied with th ...

Which Online Coding Program
Aug 17, 2010

How does one know which online coding program to take when they all seem pretty good, besides the price difference? I specifically want to know about AHIMA or Career Step from someone who has graduated and found a job. I know they have testimonials on their website, but how does one really know?  I was thinking about either their program or the one from AHIMA, which seems a lot longer, but apparently with either you will be able to sit for the credentialing exam, and they seem to be close in ...

Does Anyone Know If The Andrews Coding Program...sm
Dec 09, 2010

offers training of the 3M encoding software?  I read that Career Step does and when I look at most coding jobs, they require training and experience using 3M encoding software.  Thanks for your help! ...

AHDPG Coding Program
Jan 18, 2012

Has anyone attended thisl AHDPG coding program?  I see they are recommended by AAPC.  I am a little leary of them as I have never heard of them  before. ...

Question About A Particular Coding Program
Sep 07, 2012

I am looking for a medical coding program and have been checking into various ones. I came across this one and it seems too good to be true. All others have been at least $1000 but usually more than that. This programs states it is only $349 for a 6 month indepth course. You can find it at www.medicalcodingpro.com or just google Medical Coding Pro. My concern is, does this program really train you from scratch or is it meant as a refresher course for people who have worked in this field pr ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

CPC/CCS Coding Program Other Than Andrews
Sep 03, 2013

Does anyone know of a (non-degree) program other than Andrews that upon completion will allow you to be eligible to sit for the CCS and CPC exam. I have researched the Andrews program and think it sounds great and comes with awesome recommendations from this board. I just want to explore any other options available before I take the plunge. Not necessarily needing a degree, already have Masters in Health Administration. Thanks so much. ...

Coding Program And FT/PT Status . Wonder
Mar 11, 2014

If chosen for this program and moving down to PT production, I wonder if you are then considered PT and will lose health benefits? Has anyone inquired about this yet? ...

MM Coding Program Questions
May 08, 2014

For those of you in the HDS2Coder program, how do you like it?  Would you recommend it to other MM employees?  Is it harder than you expected or take up more of your time than expected?  I'm just wanting to know how you all are doing in there in case they offer the program again in July.  Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on!! ...

Coding Program Stopped
May 14, 2014

Just got an email from our manager saying they are stopping the program for the next week or so until they get the bugs worked out.   We are supposed to type until they figure out their next step.  Some of the students still don't have the encoder program.  I think a big part of it is because of the ruling to delay ICD9.  Who knows if it will start back up again.     Will keep you guys posted.  ...