A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Going to start coding - help

Posted: Apr 04, 2010

I am wanting to start coding in the next month.  I have a question though.  Does it make a difference if you have a certificate or associates in it?  Is one better than the other?

Coding credentials - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe you will be able to find a coding program that offers an associate's degree. Coding courses typically offer a certificate, or a piece of paper saying you completed the course.

Don't confuse "a certificate" with "certification." What really matters in coding is that you can pass an AHIMA or AAPC certification test (CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-H, etc.). That's what tells an employer that you're a good bet because you have at least the minimum knowledge and ability shown by that exam.

Associate degree programs are offered in health information technology, which includes coding along with other topics. It is not necessary to complete that kind of program for coding. They may take more than twice as long--time you could be working as a coder.

Many prospective coders take coding-only courses so that they can get up to speed in coding quickly, pass a certification exam, and begin working.

In many work situations in coding, a large majority of which are in the ambulatory setting, a health information technology degree is not considered necessary. It's the coding credential that counts.

Similar Messages:

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Wanting To Start Coding Classe
Sep 30, 2010

I have been wanting to start coding classes; however I am worried it will be outsourced like transcription.  ALso I need to work from home and I hear it is hard to get started.  I have been an MT for 5 years. Any advice?  I dont want to pay for school and it be outsourced. ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Going To Start Training In Coding ASAP
Jul 07, 2013

I am going to start training in coding ASAP.  I have been a transcriptionist for many years in house, and it is time for me to go.  My hospital does not offer tuition assistance for coding.   I need advice.  CCS versus CPC -- which is better paying or is there a difference?  I work with someone with a CPC-A.  Is that apprentice degree something you HAVE to do, because I'd rather avoid that as much as possible.  CareerStep Versus Andrews -- From what I can tell, CareerStep is affilli ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

Just Signed On To A Great Coding School Today - Start On Monday
Mar 28, 2014

I'm one of those that had a high enough test score to get into MModal's program but didn't quite make it.  I had already been looking at one of the Coding schools but wanted to give myself a week or so to think it over and not make a knee jerk move after being passed over by MModal.  Today, I picked up the phone and signed on with the school I've had my eye on and I start on Monday!  I'm actually reeeeally excited - and surprisingly I'm actually feeli ...

My Start Menu Is Sideways And My Desk Top Is Sieways As Well And The Start Menu Is In The Upper Righ
Aug 12, 2013

My start menu is in the upper right hand corner and the desk top is on the side.  How can I fix it? ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

When Does PTO Start?
Apr 06, 2011

I was told when I was hired that PTO started acruing immediately.  But my sup says no, but doesn't seem to want to tell me when it starts.  I think it stinks I was told immediately and it evidently doesn't start immediately.  ...

Where To Start
Aug 23, 2011

I would like to how you became coders? I saw someone went to Andrews, is that where most of you went?  I was a coder at a local hospital about 12 years ago.  I was taught on the job, no schooling at all.  I know things are changing and have changed significantly since I coded, and the way it sounds ICD-9 is going to ICD-10.  What suggestions would you give someone like me?  I also did transcription and have been doing that for the last 25 or so years, but I do not like t ...

Trying To Start IC
Mar 15, 2012

Hi All, Some IC questions for all you ICers out there.... 1) I know cpl is a 65-character line by most standards, but how do you calculate headers and patient info such as DOB, PatientID#'s etc.? 2) Also, how do you write a contract up for places who want to hire you as an IC? 3) What are some of the most important things to include in your IC contract in your opinion? 4) Software...do you need "platforms" such as everyone talks about on these forums that they use for th ...

What A Way To Start A Day - OOW
Jul 04, 2013

So I get to stay tethered to my house while my hubs and son go to a state park for a party.  I wish I could just leave but I'm not the kind of person to do that, I'd feel too bad.  Oh well, time to play some games ...

Start Looking Now!
Nov 02, 2014

This is specifically for ambulatory care MTs.  The axe has fallen and it will probably get worse, if that is possible.  I got out a month ago and am I ever happy that I did, after hearing what the new exciting changes are.  But I started applying, testing and even trying out other places months ago, and it took a while to finally find a good small, keep-work-in-the-USA and care about our team company.  Start looking now, because the resumes will be flooding any and all good-s ...

Been Away From MT For 10 Yrs - Where Do I Start?
Jan 05, 2015

I was an MT for 14 years with multi-specialty experience.  I have been out of the field for 10 years.  I am interested in getting back to it.  I have some questions:  -Should I work on Certification before finding a job?  Should I get Registered before Certification? -What equipment/software is generally being used this days for at-home/contractor? -What is the average PPL?  -How does straight transcription compare to VR editor as far as pay? -Right now I live ...

Pay .07 Per Line To Start
Nov 02, 2009

I've never been paid by the line.  I have over 10 years radiology experience, and this company wants to hire me with radiology experience at .07 per line "to start".....is this decent pay?  I'd have to type at least 1500 lines a day to make decent money.  Is that a lot of lines to do in a day?  Med Trans?  Ever heard of it? ...

My Job Will Not Load. What A Way To Start The Day
Aug 23, 2010

x ...

When Does The New Pay Period Start/end?
Dec 09, 2010

Just wanted to know when the end of the pay period was or beginning.  Is Monday, 12/13 start of the new pay period?  I know pay is every two weeks. ...

S/L Primiformis Start
Jul 11, 2011

underwent closed reduction and intramedullary nailing with a Piriformis start nail and ...

Start Your Own Business
Jul 29, 2011

I am really tired of working for other people and have them treat you like dirt all the while making millions of bucks off our hard work. Has anyone looked into starting their own company?  What resources are required and how does one go about licensing, getting clients, etc.? Any information on this topic would be helpful.  Please don't reply if you have anything negative to say.  Just want some good clean advice  :) ...

How To Start An Argument On
Dec 08, 2011

1.  Express an opinion. 2.  Wait. ...

Anybody Start With EDocScribe ?
Feb 03, 2012

I am wondering if anyone who works there, either recent hire or long-term MTs, would care to share their experience as to how they are to work for, how QA is, how productive the platform is, etc.  I would appreciate any feedback from recent experience.  Thank you in advance.  ...

So Nice To Start The Day With NJA. Nm
Mar 08, 2013

xx ...