A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

going to start training in coding ASAP - Anon

Posted: Jul 07, 2013

I am going to start training in coding ASAP.  I have been a transcriptionist for many years in house, and it is time for me to go.  My hospital does not offer tuition assistance for coding.   I need advice.  CCS versus CPC -- which is better paying or is there a difference?  I work with someone with a CPC-A.  Is that apprentice degree something you HAVE to do, because I'd rather avoid that as much as possible.  CareerStep Versus Andrews -- From what I can tell, CareerStep is affilliated with AHIMA, whereas Andrews is not.  Does that make a difference at all?  If I am going to do this, and I am, I want to go big.  I am reasonably intelligent and I am not content to be just a low level coder -- I want to be at the top of my field, with the potential to go into Informatics perhaps later.  I am trying to get an education with the best bang for my buck.  I am also feeling pressure to pass certifications before ICD-10 is implemented.  Any advice from experienced coders is much appreciated.

Health informatics - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I have coding training but I am working in a different area of health information. However, some thoughts that I had: If you want to remain with your employer, you might inquire as to what credentials they prefer and pursue that certification. It might be possible to have the CPC-A waived but otherwise you need to work for a year. If you want to "go big" as you say, I would recommend an RHIT or RHIA program. FYI, no one starts at the top of any field. Why the pressure to become certified before ICD-10 is implemented? You are still going to need to learn that along with everyone else. I don't know what to say in regard to schools; I guess you would have to compare the 2 schools you mentioned, their curriculum, cost and method of teaching and decide which works best for you. AAPC and AHIMA also have coding programs.

Everyone seems to think testing for ICD-10 is going to be horrendous. - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel like it would just be an easier route to get a CPC or CCS before ICD-10 goes into effect, then learn ICD-10, because I'm obviously going to have to know both anyway. I understand that no one starts out at the top of their field . . . I definitely want to end up there, however and I want the best degree I can possibly have to help me get there. Andrews is not AHIMA-approved -- I am thinking that could be a problem. I will look into the AAPC and AHIMA programs as well. Thank you!

Do more research - Experienced Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
There isn't really a pay difference between the CCS and CPC. The setting in which you work and the type of work you do makes more of a difference. A family practice office or nursing home will pay less than a large surgical practice or hospital. The more difficult the specialty, the higher the pay. Consultants do well, too.

There are salary surveys on both the AAPC and AHIMA websites. You can find AAPC's by looking around on their tabs, but it is easier to google AHIMA's.

If you work with someone who has a CPC-A, then your hospital should accept that. Did you ask how he or she got it? That may help you decide on a program. If they took the AAPC course, you can start with that. If your hospital only took them because they did a local college program, then you may need to do that.

Can you avoid the -A? No. The requirements are explained on the AAPC website. You need to read them. You can waive 1 year by taking an 80-hour course. There is no way to waive the rest of it. You have to complete one year of experience, but externships count.

Does AHIMA-affiliation matter? Not as much as certification does. It would not help you to do an affiliated program that has a low pass rate on the exams. You also need to consider exactly what the course prepares you for. Affiliated programs rarely prepare you for the CCS. The CCA is as far as they go. AHIMA also changed their requirements recently, so they do not appear to be approving any more non-college programs. They have been dropping the ones they approved previously. Mant people think Career Step's approval will probably not be renewed after the end of the year.

Also of concern is your ability to take the CCS unless you go the experience route. As of last January, AHIMA requires certain coursework to qualify for their coding exams. Their own online course does not qualify. AAPC's does not. Some colleges do not. Career Step probably does not. Andrews probably does.

In terms of teaching inpatient coding, most colleges do not, which is why so much experience is required. AAPC does not teach it all. Andrews teaches inpatient and outpatient completely separately.

Yes, you should pass at least the CPC before the exam changes to ICD-10. I do not think you have time for the CCS, though. It changes early next year.

To "go big," you do not need to do everything up front. You can do this in steps. Start with learning enough to get a job. Then start working on more. One way, if your hospital will accept a CPC via the AAPC course, is to do that and certify, then start working. Or, just keep on with your current job or move into some other HIM job. At that point, start an informatics RHIA program through Western Governors. It is reasonably priced. Your hospital might fund that.

There are other options. Avoid the for-profit schools. If WGU will not accept you, you could do the first 2 years online at an inexpensive school like San Juan College in New Mexico. That would give you an RHIT that should transfer to WGU or another program. All RHIT programs teach exactly the same thing, so go for cost and program length...you do not want to take 3 years of coursework for a 2-year degree.

The best bang for your coding buck is probably Andrews. If you choose that route, you do not need to complete the whole course before taking a certification exam. You can take the CPC exam after you have completed CPTcoding. You will have more at that point than the AAPC course.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I've actually researched this to death. I think you've hit on the crux of my confusion -- the fact that AHIMA's own online course does not qualify you for their exam, and the fact that I can not find any place except Andrews that can prepare you for inpatient coding. I already have a college education and already have a position in a coding department, so I am fortunate. I guess I will go the community college route, even though I hate how dreadfully long it takes to get through classes. :( Thank you so much for your help!

Wait a minute ... waaait, wait, wait ... - Need some clarification here

[ In Reply To ..]
Please explain further. You just tossed in some tidbits that change everything.

1. What position do you have in a coding department? Exactly how much coding have you had?

2. What is the exact reason you feel you have to do a community college program? What program exactly are you going to do?

3. By "college education," do you mean you have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution? If so, you have another option that is far, far better.

The online postbaccalaureate certificate program at the University of Toledo takes about a year, maybe 3 semesters, includes coding, reimbursement, informatics, and the other important things, and qualifies you to sit for the RHIA.

That is where you wanted to go, wasn't it? You want to get to the top of the field? The RHIA is the top of the field. U Toledo is the best option for doing it. It is reasonably priced (online students get in-state rates) and fast.

The coursework for an RHIT program is not as extensive as for an RHIA. It is not equivalent. It is covered at a more basic level, does not go as far. If you already have a college degree, it will bore you. And, you don't NEED to do it.

The post-bac option is not widely advertised, so few people know about it.

So, if I were you, and I wanted to get into coding fast, make life easier during that post-bac program, get certified under ICD-9, and it was too late to start in August or you had to do some prerequisites first, I would do the AAPC course right now (today), do the prerequisites starting in late August at the community college near you, and get enrolled in UT to start in January.
Unfortunately, I only have an Associates Degree :( - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I was in that position, but unfortunately no. At this point I am in the coding department but I'm really not doing coding -- I'm just entering charges from superbills for our provider-based billing. I took a quarter in ICD-9 many years ago and did well, but it was so long ago that there is no way I feel I could pass anything at this point. Even so, I have two college level Anatomy and Physiology classes that I can transfer, so I only need three classes to get a coding certificate, if I retake ICD-9, and I know people I work with who got their CPC from going to this college, so it seems pretty doable and not all that expensive. But thank you for the heads up re. University of Toledo. I will deinitely look into that after a get this CPC out of the way. You are right -- the RHIA would be perfect!

Similar Messages:

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

Need To Start Working ASAP
Jul 27, 2012

Hello :) Decided to work outside of the home for a while, but that's no longer possible for me as my fiance is disabled and I need to be at home for our kids.  Does anyone know of any companies where the start time is almost immediate?  I have 14 years of experience in medical transcription and have worked in hospitals and at home.  TIA for any help! : )   ...

Anyone Due To Start Training With Spheris/MQ?
Jun 18, 2010

xx ...

How Long From Finishing Training To Start?
Jun 19, 2012

I finished training.  They knew I was going to be working for a couple of weeks.  Still have not heard from supervisor. I was told last week I was now in the hands of my "supervisor" to contact with questions. I received nothing from any supervisor, and today I was told on the live training class to go to my supervisor and begin working immediately. I have sent several e mails to find out when I actually begin working, wondering why I have not heard from this so-called supervisor who ...

Going To Start Coding
Apr 04, 2010

I am wanting to start coding in the next month.  I have a question though.  Does it make a difference if you have a certificate or associates in it?  Is one better than the other? ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Wanting To Start Coding Classe
Sep 30, 2010

I have been wanting to start coding classes; however I am worried it will be outsourced like transcription.  ALso I need to work from home and I hear it is hard to get started.  I have been an MT for 5 years. Any advice?  I dont want to pay for school and it be outsourced. ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

Coding Training
Oct 05, 2012

Long time MT wanting to expand into coding to give myself more options.  I would like to know which places offer good training.  Thanks!  ...

Need Advice--Coding Or MTE Training
Jul 09, 2012

Any advice for getting some training in Coding/Billing or MTE training?  I have been unemployed for over a year.  Some schools will allow you to take advantage of the WIA program.  Looking for perhaps some advice on which way to go.  I am almost 57 years old and not sure which direction to head.  Thanks! ...

MM Offering Coding Training
Mar 10, 2014

it says if we qualify we will have three months of training, then spend three months in their apprentice program, and then will be given positions with them as coders.  We then have to work for them for 2 years or pay back for the program.  It doesn't talk about compensation or any certification.  Do you think this is a good idea? ...

MT Considering Coding/billing Training
Mar 13, 2014

I have been an MT for seven years and for the most part do enjoy the work, but find the "feast or famine" nature of the work difficult to make a decent living.  I will soon be divorced and won't have my husband's income to help support the house.  I have been thinking about training for medical coding and/or billing and am looking into different online courses.  I was considering a bundled course at MedicalBillingCourse.com.  Has anyone completed this course an ...

Coding Pay After Training And Apprenticeship Is
Mar 13, 2014

My HDSM answered my question about pay as follows......"pay is structured differently and is hourly.  Initial pay is based on experience with the growth potential to be more than transcription."  How do you all interpret this?  I say it means that there's the possibility pay will be less than benefit rate to start.  No one will have enough "experience" to justify anything higher than their minmum pay rate.  Feedback welcome :-) ...

CTC Coding Online Training
Dec 15, 2014

I am looking at various online options and have found CTC through the AAPC website.  I was hoping someone might have some experience or knowledge of this training program that they would be willing to share.  TIA! ...

Coding And Billing Training
Dec 31, 2014

I'm thinking about making the transition from transcription to coding/billing.  What are the best schools to attend?  I have seen many courses online, but not sure which ones are the best.  Thanks! ...

Just Signed On To A Great Coding School Today - Start On Monday
Mar 28, 2014

I'm one of those that had a high enough test score to get into MModal's program but didn't quite make it.  I had already been looking at one of the Coding schools but wanted to give myself a week or so to think it over and not make a knee jerk move after being passed over by MModal.  Today, I picked up the phone and signed on with the school I've had my eye on and I start on Monday!  I'm actually reeeeally excited - and surprisingly I'm actually feeli ...

Has Anyone Gone To Heald College For Coding Training?
Nov 02, 2010

I've been going back and forth regarding which school to go to.  I'd prefer to do online training but would still like to have an instructor that I could ask questions of, speak to on the phone, etc.  I live in California in the central valley, anyone who has attended Heald college for coding I would love to hear from them. ...

What Is The Consensus Of The Best Training Program For Coding?
Dec 08, 2010

I am thinking of learning coding and would like to know what is the best training program for coding?  Thanks. ...

MT Looking To Take A Course In Either Medical Billing Or Coding To Have Something Else For Training
Feb 25, 2014

I need to make a switch if I should lose my transcription job. Which would you recommend to get into first? Wondering if I should take a medical billing course first which would help me get hired somewhere else and does have a billing background help with coding?? I have a local vocational school that offers a medical billing course but nothing nearby that offers coding. Also I would prefer to do an online course and not sure which one would be the best. I don't want to spend money if ...

To Those In MModal Coding Training Program.
Jun 06, 2014

I was just curious to find out how the MTs are doing that were accepted into the first Coding training program working 20 hours paid training and 20 hours as MT.   I am possibly considering applying if it is offered again and wanted some experienced opinions of those in it.    Thank you! ...

Free Coding Training For Vermont Residents
Jan 17, 2015

See the link below for an article in Health Data Management about free coding training in Vermont.   I don't know anything else about it, or how to contact them or apply, and I have no opinion on whether the program, the company involved, or the associated job offer are good, morally upstanding, free-range vegans, or potentially associated with off-planetizing to venusians in 2243.   I do think anything free is worth trying.  You have nothing to lose.       ...

HIT Training But No Jobs - Should Have Studied Pure Coding
May 11, 2015

We all learn from our mistakes. Some of us just take longer.  After bumbling around for several years with HIT training, etc., it's time to get serious and go for a coding certificate.  What a waste these past several years have been and still not even close to being prepared for a CCS or a job as a coder.  Starting over again but doing it right this time. In order to get a coding job, you need that CCS. The rest was just filling in time and wasting money. ...

My Start Menu Is Sideways And My Desk Top Is Sieways As Well And The Start Menu Is In The Upper Righ
Aug 12, 2013

My start menu is in the upper right hand corner and the desk top is on the side.  How can I fix it? ...

DSS Help ASAP! Please?
Sep 09, 2010

I'm trying to test, and she sent me a DSS file attached to an e-mail.  I downloaded it to my computer, but now how on earth do I play it?  I downloaded a free DSS player, Olympus DSS Lite, but can't figure out how to get the file into it to play.  I've read the entire manual, lol, and just can't figure it out. Can someone tell me how to play this thing?  I've been an MT for 27 years, but never have dealt with DSS files.  I wrote back and asked t ...

Im Out Asap
Apr 06, 2014

Im going on into something else, but can't quite yet because of personal reasons.  As soon as the opportunity comes I am outta here.  I feel sorry for anyone really stuck. ...

OP Experts - Help ASAP Please!
Mar 24, 2011

I'm drawing a blank on this for some reason and help would be ever so much appreciated! "The stab incisions were closed with (s/l emethol) and Steri-Strips..." TIA! ...

ASAP Name Of Medication
Apr 27, 2011

s/l   bu-se-mide thanks in advance ...

ASAP Medication
Apr 27, 2011

s/l     ev-is-trolol ...