A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it normal to be scared? - Enrolling at Andrews

Posted: Sep 14, 2012

Does anyone else get scared when they start? I'm shaking inside. Is it just me or is it normal?

Yes! :) - another coding student

[ In Reply To ..]
Wanna know my secret? Music. I psych myself up. Youtube has lots of playlists. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8iKcdh5Ims&list=PL7BD2EEF416F487BA&index=3&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZEcJIU7lQ&list=PL7BD2EEF416F487BA&index=4&feature=plpp_video

I'm terrified - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm about 3/4 the way through a coding program and I am terrified. My fear does not keep me from moving forward. I just keep doing what I do, learning, studying, and remind myself it is okay to be afraid. I would not be human if I was not afraid right now. Changing careers is very scary and I know I will get through it and be successful. I just kinda take a breath and keep going. It will come and go, but just know you can do this. It's a big step, but others have done it and we can too.

Did you have to take a test before you enrolled? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No, not for the coding course - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Might be normal, but it is not useful. - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Might be normal, but it sure isn't helpful. It is just fear of the unknown.

You may be fearful that you will not do well. That is a groundless fear, because you will do fine. It is not that difficult. The program is not stressful. They do not try to flunk you out. Quite the opposite, they help you to success.

Try something . . . laugh at your fear. Really loudly, shout "Hahahaha! Fear, you are ridiculous!" Nice, deep, belly laugh HAHA, too. Make champion gestures like that Bolt guy from the Olympics. (Apparently, gestures like that release beneficial chemicals.)

You will get a lot more out of that than out of a psychiatrist.

You need to get good at that before your books arrive. When they do, you will panic at the sight of them. They will look very scary because you do not know what to do with them. (In a month you will wonder what the big deal was.) You will want to overcome that fear with your HAHA and Bolt gestures. Otherwise, you won't be able to study.

The "confidence" song from The Sound of Music works wonders, too. :)

Oh, and a little violence and mayhem may be necessary. A foam bat or a pool noodle folded in half, or twist up a bath towel and fold it in half, makes a great whapper. Pretend your sofa or a bed is your fear and beat it to death. As you whale away, every so often shout "Take THAT, you scurvy fear! I flog thou, you sniveling knave!"

It will be impossible to remain fearful after that. Truly.

The last one will work especially well on International Talk Like a Pirate Day, which I hope we have not missed. It should be this month.

Here's what I do. I remind myself I'm an American - Descendent of Brave Pioneers! - I am Brave and Courageous!

[ In Reply To ..]
My ancestors gave me good examples to follow. Our country is known for being brave, courageous, and honorable.

That means that I have to make the right choices, be ethical in all of my dealings, and not give up when things get scary or difficult.

You can do this!!! Andrews is the best. They will be there with you all the way, as long as you keep doing your best.

A little fear - mixed

[ In Reply To ..]
with excitement. Remember when you learned something new, like riding a bike - a little scared, but excited. Make the excitement part the more prominent emotion. Excitement! Conquer! Settle down and dig in, one lesson at a time. Be happy you have made a decision to secure your future. Good luck to you!

Similar Messages:

Baseline Normal Or Near Normal Thyroid Function Studies
Mar 15, 2011

baseline normal or near normal thyroid function studies. Is "near normal" hyphenated, or no? Thank you. ...

Hemoglobin Normal With Normal S/l Cell In Dis Thees With An MCV Of 89.
May 26, 2010

s/l cell in dis thees with an MCV of 89.  ...

Laryngoscope Showed Normal Vocal Cords And Normal "tuberous Tugors".
Jul 15, 2012

? ...

I Am NEW And SCARED
Jul 30, 2013

with this company?   I have read soooooo much here that scares me.   Can a person pay rent, car note, insurance, utilities and still eat working for this company.   I just got passed to this company after 30 years of MT and a salary of 60,000.  I am quite aware after reading here that I will not make what I am used to, but can I SUPPORT MYSELF?    ...

Uh Oh - Should I Be Scared Now?
Sep 30, 2014

I work for a hospital that pays hourly and incentive.  Nuance has been our overflow service - as of late, they are getting more work than us hospital employees.  Work is being given to them in droves.  Should I start getting concerned that my hospital is getting ready to ax us or ship us out to NuiSance?  Good grief.   Thanks for any input or stories you have. ...

I Am Scared I Won't Be Able To Support Myself...
Sep 14, 2010

as an MT with only my income. I live at a place where I don't have to pay any household bills right now. But I want to move out. It's not a good place for me to be living. I plan to get an apartment in about 5 months. I am just scared I won't be able to support myself. i can get an apartment for about $400 to 700 dollars. Along with groceries, cable/internet, and utilities, I'm just unsure. I guess I'm looking for advice/reasurance from MTs who support themselves ...

For The Newbies Who Come Here And Get Scared
Nov 10, 2010

I want the newbies who come here and read the complaints and get scared about "what have I gotten myself into" to realize that not everyone is unhappy at MedQuist.  Keep in mind that they have literally thousands of employees and only a handful come here to vent their unhappiness (which is fine, I understand, not everyone is going to be in an ideal situation).  I think it very much depends on your circumstances as to how life will be at MQ.  I was a new grad hire and once I ...

Want Change But Scared Of It
Jun 07, 2011

Started job searching...sick of company with low pay and inflexibility that is getting worse with time.  Now that job offers/testing offers are pouring in I am getting cold feet.  Don't want to jump from frying pan into fire.  Anybody ever been through this?  Words of advice? ...

Running Scared
Aug 22, 2013

Making myself sick.  Recently got an audit and made a critical error dropping be down below the required 99.  Worrying about whether I will keep my job.  This is not normal to worry like this.  Keeping my fingers crossed. ...

I Am Almost Scared To Say This, But I May Have Found
Jan 04, 2014

a nonMT job!!  It is at WM.  As much as I hated WM, if they give me a job and I can earn a straight, steady, hourly wage, I will be SO grateful.  After being dumped on and treated like an idiot for 18+ years, I am almost out.  I sure hope so.  I need this so bad.  ...

Scared Of Losing My Job To India
Apr 14, 2010

Has anyone else read this?   Is it true that Nuance may get to buy Spheris?   All their transcription is done in India .... so after dedicating 15 years of my career, it will all come to an end if Nuance takes over.     http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-official-nuance-making-bid-for.html   ...

Overwhelmed, Scared, Discouraged
Jun 11, 2010

I just went through training with a new company. They seem like very nice people. But I feel so overwhelmed with everything that we went through in training, in a way I've never felt before. I feel unprepared to do my job on my start date. (Thankfully, it's not today). I feel like I can log in, and that's it. My trainer just blazed through everything as if I knew what she was talking about, as if I had done it all before. Like I said, she was super, super nice. But I feel lik ...

Scared To Work 2 Jobs
Jul 23, 2010

I need to work 2 transcription jobs, but I'm kind of scared that I will burn out or get carpal tunnel from all the typing I would be doing. Any insight you can share? ...

Interview.. First One In 10+ Years. So SCARED!!!!
Jan 06, 2011

I have been an MT for 10+ years.  I have worked at home my whole entire career.  Tomorrow I have an interview for an MT/Secretary position with an orthopedic office (I LOVE orthopedics).  The doctor called me tonight to set up the interview.  I am also taking a coding course currently and am really hoping to get my foot in the door with an office, preferably orthopedics.  This opportunity is exactly what I have been waiting for!!!  Any interview advice?  Im so ...

Newly Graduated MT..and Scared
May 04, 2011

So the second week of April I got my graduation certificate in the mail from At-Home Profession's Medical Transcription Program. I am excited, I am ready for some MT work. I have been applying to places online and have sent out introduction letters to 20 different clinics and doctors offices with my information and business cards. Most places that are looking for MT's on this website require at least 1 year of experience and I can understand that. I am a newbie and no one likes to carr ...

Neck: Normal "tesseril" Motion And Normal "effort"?
Nov 30, 2012

PE on neurologist consult. Pt with spinal sarcoma.  Doc is a pretty clear dictator.  Not sure if "tesseril" is actually "tests for all" or what.  How about "effort".  Is this customary in a neuro consult?  Thanks for any suggestions.      ...

What Should Be Normal Lph For A New MT?
Apr 09, 2010

I am a fairly new MT at MQ.  With all the checking ADT and getting different facilities/doctors I am very slow.  What should my speed be at as a new MT??? ...

QA Pay At 4 Cpl?? Is That Normal?
Dec 16, 2010

TIA ...

ECG Normal By (s/l V4)
Jan 17, 2013

I know V4 is an ECG lead, but I have never heard it stated like this. Please advise! ...

Normal ROS & PEs
Jan 26, 2013

When a dictator asked that you insert a normal ROS or PE, then dictates "for the respiratory put ..." I often get dictation that contradicts what remains in the normal template but the dictators do not instruct to delete the rest of that heading. Sometimes this is an easy fix, for example if you know they complain of SOB, then you delete that portion. Other times we can't possibly know how the "normal" differs for this particular patient. It's time consuming to keep flagging these for ...

Anemia With Normal S/l S Pep?
Oct 17, 2009

what would S pep be referring to?  ...

Mycamine 100 Mg In 100 Normal Saline....
Nov 17, 2009

Mycamine 100 mg in 100 normal saline infused over 60 minutes daily.  My question is about the 100 normal saline.  I searched for this in quotes, and did not come up with anything.  Is 100 a percent?  Or do I just type it as I did above? ...

5 Hospitals No Work...Is This Normal?
Jan 05, 2010

I'n new to working from home, only 3 months now, but have been a transcriptionist for 6 years.  The company I work for has me on 5 different hospital accounts.  They are all rehabilitation hospitals (acute) and do H&P, discharge summaries, daily notes, consultations, etc and I am constantly out of work.   Some days I have no work at all.  Pay is 0.0775 line except headers/footers.  Is this normal?  Each hospital is at least a 50 bed hospital.  I f ...

Tone Is Normal. No (cogwheeling)
Jan 16, 2010

From a neurology dictation. Thanks. ...

Mistakes In Normal Dictations
Jan 20, 2010

At my company (a smaller one) there are a lot of mistakes in the normal dictations that the doctors request.  The way they are created in the first place is the transcriptionist types up the report and sends it to QA saying the doctor would like to use this in the future for his normal, but I don't think they get reviewed by QA.  I think they just get created the way they are.  So if it was a right eye, the word right is there all the way through it.  If a word is misspe ...

Cardiolite S/l Sin Tig Graphy Was Normal.
May 14, 2010

d ...

WMX - Working Outside Of Normal Shift
Jun 26, 2011

I am thinking for right now I don't really care if I "fudge" on my shift a little here and there.  First they offer OT, then no work.  I almost think it might be better when we are under different management.  HOWEVER, I still have not seen anything on the acquisition other than what we were originally told.  How odd!! Makes you afraid to go with any of the smaller companies.  Who knows who will be eaten up next.  I will say I was an old YOG employee and when ...

Ah Yes, The Normal Thursday NJA In South. (nm)
Dec 09, 2010

xx ...

Normal Heart Exam. Sm
Jan 19, 2011

Doc wtih a heavy accent dictating: Heart:  Regular in rhythm, normal S1 and S2, no gallop, no s/l "exosystolies".    ...

Elbow Fracture - Doc Says (s/l CNM) Is Normal. What Is CNM?
Feb 11, 2011

.. ...