A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am almost scared to say this, but I may have found - sm

Posted: Jan 04, 2014

a nonMT job!!  It is at WM.  As much as I hated WM, if they give me a job and I can earn a straight, steady, hourly wage, I will be SO grateful.  After being dumped on and treated like an idiot for 18+ years, I am almost out.  I sure hope so.  I need this so bad. 

worked at walmart in college. good luck being their slave. - dumped on and treated like an idiot there too

[ In Reply To ..]
horrible company to work for

the only problem with that you will not only be mistreated by the managers but the - customers too. Hate retail

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I wouldn't care - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My niece has worked at Wal-Mart for 11 years now and she makes more than what I was making as an MT for sure. Dealing with the public at ANY degree can have drawbacks, but sitting at home and hiding from it, all the while going broke, I mean come on....that's a no brainer!

Don't listen to the Debbie Downers!! - typeA

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure you'll do great. Retail is tough, but can be fun too! Not all people are bitter and miserable!! I'm sure having a great personality (which some folks definitely lack) goes a long way in determining your success/happiness in whatever you do..

GOOD LUCK!!!

It is 100% all about YOUR attitude :) - ETOHPRN

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 3 friends who are employed with Walmart. Two do just fine, but they are pretty upbeat people to start with. The one who hates it there is chronically depressed--has been since she was a kid. If I were to only listen to her half of the story, I'd say working there was a horrible thing too.

Congratulations on your job and you just may enjoy it and thrive there! I personally know that when I went in for a root canal a few months back, I actually looked forward to going there and talking with the staff and just being doted on! That's how messed up this career has made me--I'd rather be getting that root canal again than sitting at my desk right now!
:-D

LOL. About your dentist comment... - Please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...kind of true for me, too! I look forward to going to my dentist and eye appointments for socialization. Not sure I prefer a root canal over working, so you probably are a litte more messed up than me.
: )

I went to school with a girl whostarted as a cashier - at Walmart, now she`s a manager SM

[ In Reply To ..]
And loves it. Like the above poster said, it's all about attitude.

I feel the same way about the dentist! Used to - dread it, but now even a - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
filling or a root canal is an opportunity to lie back and do nothing for an hour, rather than pound the keyboard with aching back, neck, arms and fingers day in and day out.

The positive aspect - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
And your resume will look better with "Walmart" experience on it than with a long period of unemployment. You can do this!!! What have you got to lose?

Congrats! I hope you get it. If it works for you and pays - the bills thats all that matters.

[ In Reply To ..]

My daughter and son-in-law both work at WM - SAM

[ In Reply To ..]
On one hand, they pretty much treat their employees like mindless idiots, nothing is ever good enough, their expectations are ridiculously high and unattainable, and the job entails pretty much being berated for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

On the other hand...Who the heck cares? At least when my daughter and her husband punch out at the end of their shift, they're DONE. They get to walk out of those front doors and actually have a life. That's more than can be said for a lot of the current MT positions available.

Be prepared to be treated like an absolute dolt, let management's tirades roll off your back, and clock out at the end of your shift and LIVE. You could do worse, IMO.

Best of luck to you :-)

Before you get into bed with WM - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
you might want to rent a film called WALMART: THE HIGH COST OF LOW PRICES. I betcha you can do better for yourself than WM. I hope so!

I think so too. I would rather work for McDonalds than WM - not stooping that low

[ In Reply To ..]
x

promise me - if you take the job at WM

[ In Reply To ..]
that you will stop the customers from using product and putting it back on the shelf. I have seen WM employees witness people using the nail polish and putting bottle back on shelf, using lotion and not buying it, etc., and they don't say anything. I guess that is just an indication of how much they do not care.

you wouldnt care either if you had a job that pays nothing and you are - treated like dirt. Never see any employees

[ In Reply To ..]
smile in that place!

Please don't let the negative comments stop - you from taking this job. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Just think about the steady pay checheck, the hourly wage, not having to worry about dry spells & NJA. Regardless where you work, there will be something because no place is perfect. Good luck to you.

I am reading the above negative comments - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
(negativity being a popular attitude on this board), and thinking all along "so that would be so much worse than what we put up with doing MT?!?" I say go for it. At least you will be back in society, have a paycheck you can count on, and not ruining your eyesight and mental well being sitting at a computer for long hours waiting for work that never comes.

Oh, one more thing. - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am thinking in 1-2 years, you will still have a job at WM if you put in the time, while MTs will be still scrambling for jobs, being laid off or fired for ridiculous reasons, if there even are jobs to be had. Think I might head over to the WM employment site to apply myself. They do give raises (which is a foreign concept to MTSOs), promote from within, and have a % discount.

I say if WM doesn't treat their employees well, you have been well seasoned and have plenty of experience with being mistreated while working for MT companies!!!

Good luck to you in anything you choose to do;-)

AND ... AND ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You have an opportunity to smile at people and brighten their day. Get a little human contact.

You never know ... maybe your being there will keep someone from committing suicide.

yes it is worse than being an MT. I was at WM before I came to MT - but please go for it if you feel

[ In Reply To ..]
it is for you. At least with MT you only have to put up with your supervisor. with WM you have to put up with Honey Boo Boo type customers too.

Walmart - motherearth

[ In Reply To ..]
I've come to the conclusion that the majority of people who frequent this site need to work from home. OMG, I have never seen such negativity. Your job at Walmart will be what you make it! You want it to be a negative experience, then it will be. I come here just to see if anything has opened up on the job front, but quite honestly, I have to wonder who monitors this site.....and why ads appears for companies that are bashed! I have a great transcription job, so the jobs are out there. All the negativity here is just too much. Get up off your butt and find a job, instead of complaining about managers, team leads, etc. That's the real world, so wake up! THEY DON'T CALL IT WORK FOR NOTHING!

Walmart - Addison

[ In Reply To ..]
I saw a report on Wal-Mart on the news recently, and they said that most of their employees earn $12/hour, which is a lot more than most of us.

Umm, err, yes. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You said ... the majority of people who frequent this site need to work from home ...

Well, yes. That is probably how they ended up working from home in the first place ... don't play well with others.

I agree! - Bad attitudes

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never in my life come across such snotty, NEGATIVE people than I have on this board. With that being said, there are some ladies on here who are WONDERFUL, supportive and give great opinions and guidance to others. If this post offends you, then we know what category you are in:) I think it has something to do with working at home so many years, many people lose all traits of a decent personality and turn into this grudge-holding, negative, spout out and belittle others person and it would scare me to turn into that.

OMG..thank you, thank you and thank you again. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
you are right on with everything you just said. The OP is taking stepsto get herself in a better situation, making AN EFFORT to get a reliable steady paycheck instead griping and complaining and its like people are going out of their way to make her feel bad and belittle her for it. WHO CARES if its Walmart, Taco Bell or the local shoe shop? At least she is trying and doing what she has to do. And how any moderator could sit back and watch these under-handed, sly, belittling attacks is beyond me. But mark my words, now that someone has called it out, you can be sure this post will be deleted along with yours.

OP - Do you. After reading these posts, I am crossing my fingers you get this job and come back in a few weeks with a darn good update about what a relief it is to not have toworry about running out of work and have a steady paycheck, how good it feels to leave the house for work and interact with people on the job again and how thankful you are to have made this decison.

P.S. You are a much bigger person than me because I would have deleted this thread a long time ago; why continue to givethe negative Nancys something to thrive on.

Please let us know how it works out. sm - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I have seriously thought about applying at my local Wal-Mart. I am so sick of what MT has turned into. Anyone know if they start at minimum wage? I'm in FL so minimum wage here sucks. I have 8 more working years to go and I'd like a change.

if you are in Floriday why not try Publix? GREAT company to work for!! - :)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Agree about Publix - new but old

[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree about Publix. My son started part time with them when he was in his 3rd year of college. They transferred him to a closer Publix when he was done with college and since then they have got him in their investment program where he has a few thousand already saved up. They helped pay his college tuition and now that he has a degree he is 1 step away from a manager position. Super company. This was not where he intended and it may not be where he eventually ends up but he gets paid great and they even financed his first car for him and the payments are deducted out for him with each paycheck and they have their own credit union.

Yes!!! Try Publix!!! - Where in Florida??

[ In Reply To ..]
Anywhere near a VA? They have 6 big medical centers with loads of outpatient clinics around the state. Great employer!!

Working at Wal-Mart - Grate MT

[ In Reply To ..]
After being unemployed for some time with no one in this state wanting to hire him because of age discrimination, my husband finally got a job at WM. He was warned from a former employee there that his manager would talk down to him and treat him with disrespect. Not true! In fact, after the holidays, hubby actually was made permanent part-time instead of temporary part-time. I think a lot of this is due to the good work ethic he and a lot of his generation have, unlike many of the very young. Ultimately, hubby finally got a job in his field with decent pay, but he asked his manager at WM if he could work a weekend day every few weeks just to keep getting his employee 10% discount, and the answer is yes! I agree with the posters that life is what you make it. True, times are tough, but a positive attitude and work ethic do go a long way...

Interesting - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
Another MT finding that the job no longer supports her is getting praise and encouragement for receiving welfare while this MT in similar circumstances is getting ridicule and abuse for seeking and accepting gainful employment so she can support herself. What is wrong with this picture?

Walmart - motherearth

[ In Reply To ..]
Because this is the mindset of this board!

Similar Messages:

I Am NEW And SCARED
Jul 30, 2013

with this company?   I have read soooooo much here that scares me.   Can a person pay rent, car note, insurance, utilities and still eat working for this company.   I just got passed to this company after 30 years of MT and a salary of 60,000.  I am quite aware after reading here that I will not make what I am used to, but can I SUPPORT MYSELF?    ...

Uh Oh - Should I Be Scared Now?
Sep 30, 2014

I work for a hospital that pays hourly and incentive.  Nuance has been our overflow service - as of late, they are getting more work than us hospital employees.  Work is being given to them in droves.  Should I start getting concerned that my hospital is getting ready to ax us or ship us out to NuiSance?  Good grief.   Thanks for any input or stories you have. ...

I Am Scared I Won't Be Able To Support Myself...
Sep 14, 2010

as an MT with only my income. I live at a place where I don't have to pay any household bills right now. But I want to move out. It's not a good place for me to be living. I plan to get an apartment in about 5 months. I am just scared I won't be able to support myself. i can get an apartment for about $400 to 700 dollars. Along with groceries, cable/internet, and utilities, I'm just unsure. I guess I'm looking for advice/reasurance from MTs who support themselves ...

For The Newbies Who Come Here And Get Scared
Nov 10, 2010

I want the newbies who come here and read the complaints and get scared about "what have I gotten myself into" to realize that not everyone is unhappy at MedQuist.  Keep in mind that they have literally thousands of employees and only a handful come here to vent their unhappiness (which is fine, I understand, not everyone is going to be in an ideal situation).  I think it very much depends on your circumstances as to how life will be at MQ.  I was a new grad hire and once I ...

Want Change But Scared Of It
Jun 07, 2011

Started job searching...sick of company with low pay and inflexibility that is getting worse with time.  Now that job offers/testing offers are pouring in I am getting cold feet.  Don't want to jump from frying pan into fire.  Anybody ever been through this?  Words of advice? ...

Is It Normal To Be Scared?
Sep 14, 2012

Does anyone else get scared when they start? I'm shaking inside. Is it just me or is it normal? ...

Running Scared
Aug 22, 2013

Making myself sick.  Recently got an audit and made a critical error dropping be down below the required 99.  Worrying about whether I will keep my job.  This is not normal to worry like this.  Keeping my fingers crossed. ...

Scared Of Losing My Job To India
Apr 14, 2010

Has anyone else read this?   Is it true that Nuance may get to buy Spheris?   All their transcription is done in India .... so after dedicating 15 years of my career, it will all come to an end if Nuance takes over.     http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-official-nuance-making-bid-for.html   ...

Overwhelmed, Scared, Discouraged
Jun 11, 2010

I just went through training with a new company. They seem like very nice people. But I feel so overwhelmed with everything that we went through in training, in a way I've never felt before. I feel unprepared to do my job on my start date. (Thankfully, it's not today). I feel like I can log in, and that's it. My trainer just blazed through everything as if I knew what she was talking about, as if I had done it all before. Like I said, she was super, super nice. But I feel lik ...

Scared To Work 2 Jobs
Jul 23, 2010

I need to work 2 transcription jobs, but I'm kind of scared that I will burn out or get carpal tunnel from all the typing I would be doing. Any insight you can share? ...

Interview.. First One In 10+ Years. So SCARED!!!!
Jan 06, 2011

I have been an MT for 10+ years.  I have worked at home my whole entire career.  Tomorrow I have an interview for an MT/Secretary position with an orthopedic office (I LOVE orthopedics).  The doctor called me tonight to set up the interview.  I am also taking a coding course currently and am really hoping to get my foot in the door with an office, preferably orthopedics.  This opportunity is exactly what I have been waiting for!!!  Any interview advice?  Im so ...

Newly Graduated MT..and Scared
May 04, 2011

So the second week of April I got my graduation certificate in the mail from At-Home Profession's Medical Transcription Program. I am excited, I am ready for some MT work. I have been applying to places online and have sent out introduction letters to 20 different clinics and doctors offices with my information and business cards. Most places that are looking for MT's on this website require at least 1 year of experience and I can understand that. I am a newbie and no one likes to carr ...

Think I Found My Out!
Sep 09, 2010

I think I have found my out of MTing finally.  I am going to try to be a home health aide.  It is perfect for me in every way!!  I am just so excited! ...

Look What I Found
Oct 28, 2011

I found the below on the Company Board, and wondered if this could be true? ... Because you've already put in your 40 hours. It is illegal to change your timesheets so they don't have to pay overtime. If they can't give you sufficient work and keep hiring people who take your work away from you, find a company that will give you enough work. Save the emails and send them to the department of labor. ...

I Just Found Out
May 13, 2012

I just found out that even though I am doing the minimal required lines (120) I am not earning minimum wage and so even if I increase my lines I won't make any more money....Until I am typing over 160 lines.   I am so angry.   Now they are pressuring me to get higher lines so I can get out of them paying minimum wage.  Which is insulting in itself.  I am going to try to do it and then be a benefited employee.  But I am just angry that 120 lines doesn' ...

Found This On FB......
Aug 18, 2013

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mmodal-inaugurates-new-medical-transcription-center-at-mysore-182340551.html   While not an MM employee, my heart goes out to all who got let go recently. ...

May Have Found A Way Out........
Aug 24, 2013

I have been in this (medical transcription) boat for a long time.  I have enjoyed it and been able to support myself.  The last few years I have been stubbornly trying to hang on and "ride the waves", but have finally gotten it through my thick head that this is NOT working for me anymore!  I hate what this industry has become!  Anyway, was looking on the website of our local technical college, and I think I have found something I may be interested in.  Going to lo ...

Found This On MSN....sm
Jun 18, 2015

BEST JOBS FOR WORKING AT HOME: Proofreader Average Pay: $18/hour Education: Bachelor's degree Medical Transcriptionist Average Pay: $17/hour Education: Associate's degree or one-year certification program Show me a company I can make $17/hour at. And proofreader....we already do that and again, not for $18/hour. ...

Something That I Found Very Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic. ...

Something I Found Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

I also posted this on the main board, but here goes. Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic ...

Wow, I Think I Have Found The Longest
Feb 22, 2010

Encephaloduroarteriomyosynangiosis.  Jeesh. Anyone have anything longer?  ...

Found Out What's Is Wrong With (at Least Some) Of Us.
Aug 01, 2010

In my quest to improve SOMETHING, I stumbled across "job burnout."  I think it is my problem and wanted to share. "A strong signal that the burnout victim is sliding into an existential crisis of meaninglessness is evident when the person's statements about work are cloaked with a "so what?" or "why bother?" attitude. This is particularly striking among burnout victims who were once very enthusiastic and dedicated." There is some very good information and might be helpful.  At ...

I Found This Quite Funny (in A Sad Way)
Jun 21, 2011

I put my resume up on one of the resume sites and it had an area where you could find out what the local and national average salary of whatever career you are in.  I typed in Medical Transcriptionist and my area.  Locally, I should be making $38,600, and on a national level I should be making $39,000!  Are any of us anywhere near those numbers???  I sure as heck am not!  My mouth would be totally shut if I was making that.  I know there are people who definitely ma ...

Found On DSG Website
Feb 04, 2011

while looking to respond to a job opening that they have a "Director International Transcriptionist Operations," is this meaning they outsource?  ...

Found This Interesting
Nov 10, 2011

Time to do something, nja, not enough money, will not allow me to schedule so I can find part time employment to supplement. This company is abusing us without question.   Doing some research and found these two articles:   http://www.mediate.com/articles/davenport.cfm and http://minoritysurvival.com/2011/07/15/six-ways-employers-abuse-workers/     ...

Found Out Something Interesting....
Jan 08, 2013

I was looking for job openings at our local hospital and it's a long story but, found out that they have taken their transcription back in-house.  Too many mistakes, not enough quality work, bad turn around times, et al.  I am applying today, in person with them.  I will offer to scrub their floors if that is what it takes to get back in to transcribing.  I know folks who work there and they get a very fair wage, benefits and time off!  ...

Found This In Archives And I Think It
Feb 26, 2013

I agree with her 100%. There will always be more of us, and we really could make a difference if we would just band together. I have always wanted to start a new association for MTs-AMERICAN MTs. Don't let them win. ...

Found This On A Job Website
Mar 21, 2014

I saw this post while doing a little research into the field.  The company is not named, but the location was given as Franklin Tennessee.  Hmmm, I wonder what company that could be.   http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=JHQ3946ST7FZF49Q5P1&sc_cmp1=js_jrp_jobclick&IPath=JRKTV0A ...

Does Anyone Actually Use Benchmark? I've Never Found It Useful.
Jul 29, 2014

FYI - Found Out That If You Don't Listen All The
Feb 21, 2015

for example, even though the dictator is obviously finished, so you upload...but if you don't listen to the very last millisecond the report will autopend and that will count against your QC.  I think this happened to me several times when I knew I didn't pend anything but it showed I did.   ...