A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I finally enrolled at Andrews today! - Hopeful CMT

Posted: Aug 01, 2012

I am so excited, although I must admit that I'm just a little nervous about going back to school after 26 years in this field. I know it won't be easy but I am confident I can do it. I can hardly wait to get my books and get to studying! Smile

Happy for you - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
Hopeful CMT, I hope everything goes well for you. I am considering enrolling soon. This would be a change in Career for me. I am a little nervous too.

Great Way To Start Your New Career! - Well Done!

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't think of a better way to start your new coding career. Congratulations!

The nerves are healthy. They just mean you are seriously motivated. If you aren't nervous about a new career, new course, or new job, you are just too casual about it. You're doing well already.

I am CMT enrolled, many MTs are transitioning! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Congrats! You will find many MTs/CMTs enrolled! I am in my 50s and I am doing it! The biggest problem for me was setting up a regular schedule for studying and not procrastinating! The knowledge of medical terms/procedures helps. I am so glad I made the transition! Best wishes!

Study Time! - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
That is my concern. I work full time and setting up a schedule for studying.

Oh, yes, study time - schedule that works

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding school from 6-9, work from 9-5, plus everything in between. Mentally, I am much better in the early morning than later in the evening. I juggled the schedule around for a while until I found one that worked. It still needs to be juggled from time to time, just part of it. Good luck.

new Andrews student - Hi there

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey! You will not regret your decision, and just take it one assignment at a time. I have been with Andrews for a short time, and I am really impressed. I have learned a lot! Your MT skills will definitely help out, even more than I realized in the beginning. You should be proud of yourself for moving on. I, too, have been a MT for over 20 years, and honestly just cannot take it any more. No need to get into details, you know what I'm talking about. See you on the Andrews boards!

MT Experience - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
I am considering taking Coding at Andrews School. I do not have a background in MT. I have always found the field of Medicine interesting. Is it still possible to do well in this course without any medical background?

Yes it is. You don't have to have a medical background to do well - Personal Experience

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Agree. You do not need a medical background to do well. - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Look at it this way . . . everyone who has a medical background now, in whatever field it is, at one time had no more than you do. How were they able to learn whatever field they are in if they had no medical background?

Really look at other fields . . . do you see people avoiding medical school because they have no medical background? Absolutely not. How about nursing? Nope. Do you hear people worrying that they will not do well in respiratory therapy, PT, or radiology technology because they have no medical background? No. The thought does not cross their minds.

How do these people succeed? Their courses provde what they need to know. So do coding courses.

There is also no guarantee that a medical background will cause you to be a good coder. I have seen doctors fail at coding because they cannot read he code books literally enough. I have seen nurses who are great at nursing, but who do not seem to have the right kind of brain for coding.

There is also no guarantee that a person with medical background has much background that can be used in coding. Nurses can often figure out codes for injections, but are quite vague about diseases. And aside from injections, we do not code much that nurses do. Lab folks do well with lab codes and RTs do well with radiology codes, but most of the CPT code set deals with surgical and medical procedures. Almost nobody has any background to help with that. An endocrinologist will be in the same boat you are when it comes to hand surgery.

MTs have an advantage in that they understand medical documentation already. Old timers who do surgical dictation have a leg up in surgery coding and those who do reports of H&Ps and consults have an edge with coding those. MTs typically have good reading ability, which is critical, but you could have that, too.

The important thing is that you can learn what you need to know. You can also continue learning on the job.

Do not worry about background. If you are bright and read well, if you have attention to detail and enjoy figuring things out, you have a better background than a nurse who hates reading and thinks details are to be overlooked.
New Student - Kat
[ In Reply To ..]
I just enrolled at Andrews School. I am a little nervous about it.
You're going to love it! - Congratulations!
[ In Reply To ..]
You couldn't find a nicer group of people. Everyone is always nervous at first. I think that's healthy. See you there, and here!

Andrews? - Curious one

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but I wonder if anyone has the statistics in regard to the percentage of Andrews School students who earn their CPC/CCS directly upon completion of the program and move on to jobs without any problem. I know it's a great school, but I have to say that when I repeatedly read about how wonderful something is and never any feedback from students who struggled or whose experience might not have been as good, I begin to wonder. I'm from the school of thought that if something sounds too good to be true it probably is. I wish all of you the best but sometimes I wish the comments weren't always so slanted in one direction.

I see your point -- thoughts about that - CCS, CPC Andrews Grad

[ In Reply To ..]
I think any school has students who are more and less successful, stable and disturbed, happy and unhappy, easygoing and confrontational, and so on. There is no way to avoid that.

However, what you see here might be a reflection of reality. Having taken that program, and having worked in coding long enough to know what is required and what other schools provide, and having 4 certifications myself, and knowing of a number of other successful, multicredentialed graduates, I think the school just does a good job.

The materials they use are top-notch. Some are reference-level publications that coders on the job consider essential.

The course is laid out in a way that adult learners appreciate. It offers the med terms, anatomy, and pathophysiology material along with the coding material that uses it, so you know why you need it. You can associate it with the coding, giving you a framework for understanding it and enhancing your retention. That is the opposite of the college model in which you take all the basic courses up front, have no idea how it fits in, and then have 2 or 3 coding classes at the very end. Adults do not do well with the college model.

As for those 2 or 3 classes in the college model, they are usually called beginning and advanced coding. They typically use one textbook, with the first half in beginning and the second in advanced. The second half is not really advanced, but is just the same level work from the second half of the book. Rarely is any distinction made between inpatient and outpatient coding. They try to teach it all together. Most coders cannot switch readily from one to the other while working, so how can you learn it that way?

Andrews fixes that problem by teaching all of the textbook in outpatient coding and then using a more advanced textbook for inpatient coding . . . in 2 separate courses. I had no trouble keeping them straight and covering that material with so much built-in review really helped me get it down. That is twice what colleges teach. There is a lot of built-in review and a lot of coding practice.

When you compare that to programs that teach all of ICD-9 in 1 or 2 chapters and all the basic sciences as word lists in another chapter, you can start to understand why Andrews students pass multiple certification exams.

They also teach you to use the code books correctly and use a formal, written-out coding process that really helps. I can't imagine that they have any students who flounder like some coders I have seen. You cannot learn it that way and NOT code correctly nearly every time.

It is well known that they will work with students until the student succeeds. That is why their MT program was always so successful.

This is the school that has the premier reputation with MT employers, after all. For years their MT grads have been able to get jobs with nationals without experience. They are the school employers prefer because their grads are superb. It does not surprise me that their coding program would be just as good.

I can see your point that you cannot believe what you hear about them, but from my perspective I would not expect to hear anything less. It fits with what I know based on my experience.

Congrats! - BellaCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Congrats! I enrolled yesterday for coding. I'm very excited. Good luck to you!

Congrats - good for you! - student

[ In Reply To ..]
BellaCMT, congrats to you also! Best of luck with your studies.

BellaCMT - Hopeful CMT

[ In Reply To ..]
We enrolled at Andrews on the same day and we're both so excited! Congrats and good luck to you as well!

Thanks everyone! - Hopeful CMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Such nice responses and encouragement from all of you. I really appreciate it!

Hiya. Another CMT enrolling in Andrews here. -nm - FuzzyWuzAnMT

[ In Reply To ..]
^

Future Student - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
I may be enrolling at Andrews School very soon now.

What are the odds that coding all goes to India next? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to spend $4K only to have the same thing happen to coding that is happening to MT.

I don't see why they won't ship it off overseas, all other computer type jobs are headed out.

Anyone have a crystal ball??
You can't live your life in fear, or at least I'm not going to - You can
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Right. - No crystal ball required
[ In Reply To ..]
If she would educate herself about what coding is, the financial and reglatory constraits it is under, and the job types available in the field, she would see why it is unlikely to go to India. Ninety percent of it is not what she is thinking of when she thinks of coding.

Of course, that has not stopped the various anons from slithering onto this board every month or so to try a little pot-stirring using this question as a paddle.

Similar Messages:

Just Enrolled At Andrews!
May 11, 2010

Okay, so after much debate and research, I enrolled in Andrews course for coding yesterday! :)  Now I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive, reading over my 1st set of instructions, and trying to navigate my way through loads of information on the student forum.  All I can say is WOW.  I think this course is going to be wonderful and very challenging.  I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment! LOL!  But I'm excited!     ...

I Did It! I Enrolled In Andrews
Mar 05, 2012

for medical coding. I'm excited and a little nervous. Looking forward to getting started. ...

Thanks Everyone On Here For Their Advice... I Enrolled In A Course Today! Can't Wait To Start.
Dec 01, 2010

I chose Andrews because I feel it will prepare me the best.  I like their format and their style of teaching.  I feel it is the best match.  Thanks again everyone!!!! ...

And So, Today I Finally Did It
Sep 11, 2012

It's a rather sad day, but a long time coming.  After 24 years as an IC with a damn good client, making really good $ and having a respectable job, today I gave notice.  I used to write my own ticket as a small MTSO without any question.  Sadly, the bottom-line paper pushers finally got their way with installing VR and the writing was on the wall.  I gave it a shot, I trained in editing.  I stayed on during the transition, taking a pay cut to less than .3cpl because ...

Finally Got NJA For Today
Mar 18, 2015

NJA....How can I do any hour OT when I can't even do my regular hours?  Who is the mastermind of this brilliant plan? ...

Another Step Closer To Andrews Today!
Apr 28, 2012

I've been socking away a little bit here and there for a while now and I am getting so close to having the tuition. It's amazing how the little changes can add up to so much savings. The first thing I gave up about a year ago was buying an iced coffee every day, which I figured out at about $15/week x 52 weeks was equal to $780! I had a yard sale and got rid of things I obviously didn't want or need. I just finished rolling some more coins and I can't believe how much that ...

I Quit On Monday And Got My Final Paycheck Today UPS! Finally Free! NM
Apr 10, 2014

NM ...

Has Anyone Enrolled In The PCIP Health Ins Plan?
Aug 29, 2011

Am just curious, is anyone currently enrolled in this?  Do you feel it's a good deal?  I haven't had health insurance in about 10 years and looked into this.  For where I live (NV) and my age (46) it's $260/mo with a $3000/$2000 deductable.  For $350/mo it's a $1,000/$1500 deductible.  For either plan it's 80/20 with an OOP cap of $5950.00, then it's 100% paid.  Co-pay for either plan is $25.  They have a pretty extensive provider ...

Nuance Auto-enrolled Me In Their 401K...sm
Jan 03, 2014

Probity employee swallowed up by Nuance.  Got a letter in the mail from Fidelity Investments confirming my enrollment in the Nuance 401K.  Only problem, I didn't request nor authorize the enrollment and these jerks gave Fidelity all my personal information including my social security number.  Who knows who has my information now?  With identity theft rampant, these idiots hand it out to just anybody. I am spitting nails and considering a consultation with a lawyer.&nbs ...

I DID IT! I Enrolled In DeVry University! I'm Pretty Excited Too.
Apr 03, 2012

I have been talking about going back to school for years now.  Then I did the whole researching of schools and still couldn't make the decision.  Well, last week was the worst week of my life.  I got fired from my main job, by main I mean the one I carried my benefits through (I always have 2 jobs because of the precarious nature of our the MT industry).  My 19-year-old son took my car in the middle of the night while I was asleep without asking and totalled it.  S ...

Well, I Did It. I Enrolled For Summer Semester. I Am Entering The Rad Tech Program At My Local Col
Apr 13, 2010

After years of thinking about going back to school and then talking myself out of it because I didn't want to face college again at age 40, I decided I need more job security, better pay and growth potential.  So I filled out the financial aid forms, enrolled in a couple of classes for the summer, and here I go.  I'm a little nervous actually.  Been a loooooonnng while since I sat in a classroom, took notes, and took exams.  My retention isn't wh ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

Email Working Today? Silent Today.
Feb 25, 2015

By this time in the day, usually, there has been at least 7 emails - several from QA, at least 2-3 backlog updates, and 1 reminder to work our shift and work our entire shift. ...

I Finally Get It....
Mar 02, 2010

After receiving the infamous "no jobs available" for the upteen time today, it finally hit me.  What an amazing way to get rid of MTs without really having to get rid of them on your own.  Drive the MTs insane with no work, yet keep them locked to their computers in the hope that a job might become available.  It feels kinda like playing the lottery....you know it's a waste of money and time, but just maybe you might win...ughh.  Why is it that our "professional" jo ...

Now I Finally Believe The End Is Near
Jun 06, 2011

I must admit I've been reading this board for years, never posted until now, partly due to the probably unsubstantiated paranoia going around awhile back that those who posted here got the ax first, silly I suppose, but I used to care about keeping this job and didn't want to take any chances.  Now, finally, I understand that I am fighting a losing battle, and I know longer give ******.  I've been reading about you guys with NJA for days on end, etc., etc., and I guess I ...

I Did It.....finally! Sm
Jul 05, 2011

I finally told MQ goodbye!  I finally got another contract job and they needed me to start pretty much immediately, so I quit without notice.  In a way I feel bad for resigning without a 2-week notice, but I figure MQ would not give me a 2-week notice if they were letting me go.  I wish all my MQ co-workers well and I hope you find happiness either with MQ or elsewhere.  God bless you all! ...

Finally!!
Jun 15, 2012

Never thought this day would get here, but I'm finally gone!! I feel such peace just to know that I won't have to stress anymore about everthing this industry has become: Horrible dictators, low pay, off-shoring, and VR. Bless everyone who is sticking it out until the very end. ...

I'm Finally Out!
Dec 01, 2012

Finally out.  I start a new job in-house on December 10 in a medical office.  Not MT, just answering some phones and setting up appointments.   And I get to wear scrubs.  I guess in the morning I'll be taking off one pair of pajamas and putting on another.  Don't lose hope friends.... ...

Finally, I Got A Better Job!
Dec 20, 2012

I can't tell you how happy I am.  I was literally dancing around the house.  DS thought I was out of my mind, and I kind of was.  I have been trying to get out from under this oppressive company for a long time now, and I finally have.  I wish everyone a happy holiday.  I'm happy to say I won't be posting here anymore.  I've moved on and I'm not looking back. Best of luck to everyone who is in the same position I was this time yesterday. &nb ...

Well I Finally Did It!
Jan 23, 2013

I finally went ahead and filed for partial U/E.  I know I'm not in as bad of a situation as many I read on this board but I just can't live like this anymore.  It's bad enough that our pay has been to sharply cut with VR but now when they don't give us any work to do it's worse.  It humiliated me at my age to have to do this for the first time in my life at 59 years of age but I did it.  ...

FINALLY OUT!!!
Feb 11, 2013

Friday is my last day transcribing at a company that is about to lay off 10-25 people!  Unforunately that company lost its biggest account, but fortunately my last 6 months of hard word has paid off and starting a new career alltogether with the local county!  I will continue to pray for you that you find work to be satisfied with and compensated accordingly.  I have typed for 15 years and it is hard to say goodbye considering it brought me through many hard times raising my two o ...

Finally Got Out Of MT
Jan 01, 2014

I just wanted really to say for those of you still hanging on, worried about work in the outside world, I finally got out about 3 months ago and I haven't been this happy in YEARS and to be exact in the last 12 years that I was an MT.  Working as an MT, I don't think I ever felt good enough, because I would be torn apart due to missing a comma or not being able to understand a term well enough to find it.  I was so stressed about money all of the time and even dreaded holiday ...

FINALLY G-O-N-E!
Apr 11, 2014

I HAVE FINALLY LEFT - WHAT A FEELING!  I AM ELATED TO GET OUT OF THIS PRISON. ...

Getting Out Of MT Finally! Sm
Aug 01, 2014

After 25 years I am getting out of this biz for good!!  I finally found other employment. May not be the best pay to start out with and some people would look it as an odd job for someone my age, but that is okay too!  I can't wait to start!!!! ...

Finally!
Sep 16, 2014

I have been (as some of you all have) trying to get out of this transcription "hell" for years!  I finally, finally landed another job!  It it outside of transcription.  Its with Verizon!  Finally!  I know no job is heaven, but at least I'll get a raise every year.....................and not have to wonder in agony what is going to happen today......................what are they going to take away from me today............will I be able to pay my bills, will there b ...

FINALLY!!!! A Job
Oct 10, 2014

I have been watching the boards for so many months. I was laid off almost a year ago and sent "oodles" upon "oodles" of resumes to every company I saw on this board, the other board, the job servers...You name it, I sent it.  I even did Craig's list. Some were kind enough to respond, some did not bother.  But I still plugged away.  My unemployment ran out in July and thank God we have been making do.  I answered an ad on Craig's list for something out of t ...

I Am Finally Out!! =)
Feb 20, 2015

I am finally no longer a medical transcriptionist!  No more stress!! No more crappy shifts, crappy dictators, crappy PMs!! No more accounts specs! No more anything!  I read on here all the time how people say you can do it! you can get out of the field and find something else but I never believed it!  Now I am!  I accepted a job with an answering service making good money, benefits, PTO, 401 my own hours and I can do it from home!  so ya it can be done people!! ...

Finally Got Out
Mar 25, 2015

After being laid off at an in house job when they went to point and click and spending 3 months looking outside MT for a job, I've landed a position as a medical records clerk.   ...

I Did It! I Finally Did It! Saying Goodbye To MT! (sm)
Oct 22, 2009

I was notified today that I have been chosen for a job with the local hospital - not doing transcription.  I finally get to say goodbye to no vacation, no sick pay, working 24/7, no pay increase, no recognition for a job well done, having to worry about my own taxes, and just everything that goes along with it, like the lying and back-stabbing from managers *** and owners ***, and having to deal with QA who says they follow BOS, but then makes things up as they go.  Its an 8 to 5 job ...

They Finally Noticed
Apr 29, 2010

My CCM finally called and left a message saying I hadn't been logging on and she would have to process termination if I didn't get in touch with her. "A phone call would be nice," I think is how she worded it. I didn't call her back.  I just sent her an email and told her to go right ahead and process termination, that I didn't call because I didn't feel that the Q deserved the courtesy of a call when they treat their MTs like trash. So I am officially free.  ...