A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Nuance auto-enrolled me in their 401K...sm - Tanya

Posted: Jan 03, 2014

Probity employee swallowed up by Nuance.  Got a letter in the mail from Fidelity Investments confirming my enrollment in the Nuance 401K.  Only problem, I didn't request nor authorize the enrollment and these jerks gave Fidelity all my personal information including my social security number.  Who knows who has my information now?  With identity theft rampant, these idiots hand it out to just anybody.

I am spitting nails and considering a consultation with a lawyer. 

But nothing is going to change, right - Isnt that what

[ In Reply To ..]
Mr. Plummer said? We'll still be a family. PUKE!

I'm ready to quit this place, too. I'm not wasting anymore time than I have to being s#!t upon by Nuance.

Tanya, I would also be steaming mad at them if they did that to me. Do what you have to to get them to cancel that. I had to pester them to cut me a check for my 401K so I could transfer it to an IRA on my own. They kept dragging their feet.

And good for waitingforjack for quitting before it became Nuance. You did one better than I could. I can't wait until it's my turn.

Were you enrolled at Probity? - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
If you were, they probably automatically transferred the funds from your old plan into the new one at Nuance, assuming that you still wanted to participate. Fidelity is legitimate, they don't just "hand out" your personal info. Isn't your SSN something that your employer would have anyway? My opinion is that it's silly not to take advantage of a 401K, especially if there is an employer match. Second, if you don't want to participate, just call your plan administrator at Fidelity and tell them that they made a mistake. I don't think you need to consult an attorney.

So this thread just disappeared? - Wonder how it violated the rules

[ In Reply To ..]
Anybody? I thought everything was safe on here, but one wonders what makes a thread disappear for no apparent reason.

I read some of it yesterday and I believe some posters - were wishing the OP ill fortune SM

[ In Reply To ..]
and some even wishing her poverty or homelessness? Something really hateful along that line.

The OP has every right to be furious about her money being directed or managed without her consent. The thread may have gotten sidetracked with the topic of 401K accounts and how people need to have them and somebody suggested something about how it's good to be made to have retirement accounts. Something like that.

I would assume those following comments are what was deleted.

The nasty comments, yes - should be deleted

[ In Reply To ..]
But I don't see how a discussion on the benefits/risks/preferences regarding 401K accounts is "sidetracking" when it is a very important subject to many of us.

To imply that counting on social security is "relying on the govt" when it is OUR OWN MONEY being saved is incorrect and I made the point that by halving our salary these MTSOs were depriving us of more retirement savings, as well as making us into minimum wage workers and forcing us to subsidize their low wages with food stamps and TANF (a la Walmart and McDonald's).

The fact they automatically enrolled her in the 401K and it is up to her to get herself out of it smacks of the same kind of arrogance as being forced to spend time and anxiety defending rabid QA bonus seekers on FIESA.

The corporate tentacles are turning into more of a big brother than the govt ever was, they do unto you and then you have to fight to undo it, and then they just do whatever they want and you are a minimum wage worker or out of a job or forced to contribute to a 401K when you don't want to.

401K - sickened

[ In Reply To ..]
They did the same to me and I have an email in to HR. Of course, I've heard nothing yet. And for those saying it's a great idea, of course it is. The problem is when my pay has been slashed in half and some days I can barely eat, a 401K is a luxury to me at this point.

Luxury - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
I know I should just mind my own business, but probably all you need to contribute to get the match is 4%. I don't know how much you make, but I'll base it on $800 a month. Your contribution would only be $32 a month. Assuming you are paid every 2 weeks, that is only $16 a pay period. Anything you put in would be pre-tax and if it's matched by your employer at 50%, well it's a win-win situation, IMO. Even without the match, you'd be surprised how fast that money grows. My comments were only from personal experience. My facility recently went through a merger. My 401K remained intact. I was not asked whether I wanted to continue in the plan (I did) and was only given paper work to sign after the fact. We were given some additional investment choices as well. I saved quite a lot when I was younger, and like many of you now need most of my salary to live as I recently changed jobs within our organization and my salary is less now. However, I do make sure that I take advantage of our plan, and do contribute enough to get the employer match. It's like paying yourself, really. I'm sure you know all this, but for your employer to automatically enroll you was probably a no-brainer; they probably think everyone wants to participate. In my plan, if we want to stop our contributions, we have to inform the plan administrator in writing before the end of the year. We can't leave the plan, though, unless we terminate employment or retire.

I would not sign up for 401K again. sm - justmyopinion

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a nice chunk of money in my 401K with the other big MTSO years back and lost half of it in the stock market. No thanks. I've never looked into N's 401K since N cut our pay in half when we were bought out. Have no idea if they match or not or how much. I think 401Ks are great for those who can afford to devote a chunk of their paycheck and aren't worried about gambling with the stock market. Wouldn't one of those Roth accounts be better though? Or maybe a jar buried in the backyard, but silver, not paper money. LOL
Stock market - Anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't have to put your money in stocks. I remember you from the other thread. I was pretty heavily into stocks then and also lost money; everyone I know took a hit, most of us didn't recover. When that happened, I became much more conservative with my investing, which is what they suggest as one nears retirement anyway. Roth IRAs generally offer the same investment choices but you are taxed going in instead of when you withdraw your funds. It's worth looking into, I with I'd done it, actually. Good luck with the backyard plan, just remember where you left it (did anyone see Fargo?)
LOL anon2 sm - justmyopinion
[ In Reply To ..]
This is the first time I posted on these threads about 401Ks. Hope I didn't use someone else's moniker...Never saw Fargo. LOL.

p.s. Lots of folks lost money on stocks in the late 1990s-early 2000s. Silver or gold..better to invest in. Forget the paper money. There is nothing backing it up..it's been pilfered.

Got the same letter today and I specifically - opted OUT of the

[ In Reply To ..]
401K for Nuance because I do not plan on being there very long. Who did you contact to get this cancelled because I do not want it. I already have my retirement accounts set up.

I'm with Accentus and just got the same mail - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm wondering if it isn't a form letter sent to all employees? I absolutely did not enroll as I plan on quitting by the end of the month if all goes as planned!

It may be, I did not enroll and got the letter--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I got the letter last year too and did not enroll.

401K - Bobo

[ In Reply To ..]
How did you find that out. Do you get sent an email stating that you're in the 401(k).

How do you know they got all your info? - Boostedmom

[ In Reply To ..]
I got the same letter and was a little disturbed because I didn't sign up either, but the wording is such that it makes it sound like I did. So help me, if they make any deductions...I can't imagine they can just go ahead and arbitrarily take out a percentage of your pay without you telling them what percentage in the first place. I think this is just to get you to sign up.

I called the 800 number on the letter..sm - Tanya

[ In Reply To ..]
...from Fidelity and specifically asked if they had my personal information and social security number, to which the lady replied they did.

I talked with David Plummer who at first laughed when I voiced my concerns. I told him I didn't think it was the least bit funny and he finally apologized. Everybody from Probity was automatically enrolled in their 40lK program, but apparently no deductions were set up.

If you want to opt out, you need to call that 800 number and tell them. It started out asking for my SS# and I just kept saying "customer service" and was finally directed to a real person.

I quit mid-shift Friday night after I got nothing but garbage dictators all evening. I was obviously on the s**t list and I'm too old to put up with juvenile antics.

Here is what I got from HR - Boostedmom

[ In Reply To ..]
According to our benefits team, Nuance does not auto-enroll employees in the 401(k) Plan. All Nuance does is set up a shell account in the name of the employee but nothing happens in terms of enrollment or deduction until the employee contacts Fidelity.

Regarding the issue of passing confidential information to Fidelity, but like all of our other vendors, payroll vendor for example, we have agreements with each, which I have been told contains provisions around PSI.

I also spoke with David today and he explained this as well, but I already knew that you cannot be enrolled without your consent or the amount you want to contribute. Any company you do business with, unless you specifically sign a waiver, can give our at least some of your personal information to companies they do business with, i.e. your mortgage company, your back, etc. It's all about marketing.

Auto-enrolled me in Fidelity 401K also - Not2Happy

[ In Reply To ..]
NTS did the same thing to me. Keep getting these letters from Fidelity addressing me as "Dear Plan Participant." One letter was annoying but this last one had me calling Fidelity and she told me to call this person at NTS who could straighten it out. Made 2 calls and she has not returned my call. What is up with this?

Similar Messages:

Nuance 401K
Oct 22, 2012

Who does Nuance have their 401K through?  TIA ...

Accentus Soon To Be Nuance ....losing Our 401K
Nov 30, 2012

Just got e-mail from our wonderful HR person that no 401K was deducted in our most recent paycheck.  As soon as Nuance bought us, our program stopped :((   Welcome to Nuance...ughhh....I jumped from Webmedx to Transcend to Accentus and it seems I cannot escape :( ...

Just Enrolled At Andrews!
May 11, 2010

Okay, so after much debate and research, I enrolled in Andrews course for coding yesterday! :)  Now I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive, reading over my 1st set of instructions, and trying to navigate my way through loads of information on the student forum.  All I can say is WOW.  I think this course is going to be wonderful and very challenging.  I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment! LOL!  But I'm excited!     ...

I Did It! I Enrolled In Andrews
Mar 05, 2012

for medical coding. I'm excited and a little nervous. Looking forward to getting started. ...

Has Anyone Enrolled In The PCIP Health Ins Plan?
Aug 29, 2011

Am just curious, is anyone currently enrolled in this?  Do you feel it's a good deal?  I haven't had health insurance in about 10 years and looked into this.  For where I live (NV) and my age (46) it's $260/mo with a $3000/$2000 deductable.  For $350/mo it's a $1,000/$1500 deductible.  For either plan it's 80/20 with an OOP cap of $5950.00, then it's 100% paid.  Co-pay for either plan is $25.  They have a pretty extensive provider ...

I Finally Enrolled At Andrews Today!
Aug 01, 2012

I am so excited, although I must admit that I'm just a little nervous about going back to school after 26 years in this field. I know it won't be easy but I am confident I can do it. I can hardly wait to get my books and get to studying! ...

Thanks Everyone On Here For Their Advice... I Enrolled In A Course Today! Can't Wait To Start.
Dec 01, 2010

I chose Andrews because I feel it will prepare me the best.  I like their format and their style of teaching.  I feel it is the best match.  Thanks again everyone!!!! ...

I DID IT! I Enrolled In DeVry University! I'm Pretty Excited Too.
Apr 03, 2012

I have been talking about going back to school for years now.  Then I did the whole researching of schools and still couldn't make the decision.  Well, last week was the worst week of my life.  I got fired from my main job, by main I mean the one I carried my benefits through (I always have 2 jobs because of the precarious nature of our the MT industry).  My 19-year-old son took my car in the middle of the night while I was asleep without asking and totalled it.  S ...

Well, I Did It. I Enrolled For Summer Semester. I Am Entering The Rad Tech Program At My Local Col
Apr 13, 2010

After years of thinking about going back to school and then talking myself out of it because I didn't want to face college again at age 40, I decided I need more job security, better pay and growth potential.  So I filled out the financial aid forms, enrolled in a couple of classes for the summer, and here I go.  I'm a little nervous actually.  Been a loooooonnng while since I sat in a classroom, took notes, and took exams.  My retention isn't wh ...

Question 401k
Jan 18, 2010

I'm new and was just wondering if MQ is still making a contribution to 401K and if so, can anybody tell me how it works?  Thanks. ...

401K From Spheris
Mar 14, 2010

I have recently quit my position with Spheris and want to know who to contact regarding getting our 401K or how to get a hold of this?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! ...

401K, Cobra After MQ
Nov 16, 2010

Does any one know how long it takes to get your 401K after giving notice to MQ.  I'm seriously contemplating getting out of here.  Also, does any one know how Cobra is calculated.  Thanks. ...

401K Question
Dec 29, 2010

Does anyone remember when was the last time the Q contributed matching funds to the 401K?  Thanks for your response. ...

What Happens To Your 401K If You Quit?
Jan 02, 2011

I have a couple thousand dollars in it that I'd hate to lose.  I quit MQ and now am an IC, so I can't transfer it to another employer. So how does that work? ...

Info On 401K
May 01, 2011

I don't know if they have just changed things but I rolled over a large amount from my 401K into an individual IRA just this past January.  The advisor at ML said that most 401K's did not allow this but that ours did.  I had been told in the past that I could get my money "any time I wanted to."  I suppose it is possible that so many people have taken money out that they changed the rules but I would check with ML to be absolutely sure.  ...

401K Match
Mar 12, 2012

If there is anyone who understands the 401K match, can they give us a sample, ie, if you gross 1000 per pay period what the 25% of the first 4% would be and how much you could expect.  The way I do it, I would get 80 cents, so hoping I'm wrong. ...

401K/benefits
Mar 12, 2012

It is nice, I suppose, for those able to participate in the 401K, and those who would gain from the benefits. There are paychecks where I have earned $8 and 9 an hour (I'm a tier 3) because of being jerked around on multiple unfamiliar accounts and crappy dictators. I recently applied for food stamps (or go hungry), and had to borrow against a small line of credit to make my rent.  All this "improvement" doesn't help me pay for just the basic high cost of living we all are struggl ...

Anyone Get Their 401K Match
Jul 16, 2012

Before I start slamming this company yet again for not keeping their promises, did anyone check their 401K and see a contribution?  I know they were supposed to start matching after July 1st and the paycheck on Friday the 13th was the first one.  I expected when I logged into my 401k this morning to see a contribution and surprise surprise nothing. ...

Transcend 401K
Sep 03, 2012

Anyone know how long before you are fully vested in the 401K? I'm getting close to 2 years, but don't know how much longer I can stand this place.   ...

Anyone Know If You Quit MM What Happens To 401K?
Mar 21, 2014

Do you have to move it somewhere else? I don't add to it any longer but still have around 10K in it.  ...

401K, For Me No Way, But I Might Change My Mind
Dec 04, 2009

I could have participated in my company's 401K for 3 years now, but when I went to sign the paperwork and read through the fine print there were things stated in there like I could lose everything that I put into it if the investiment company went bankrupt and that this "IS" an investment and not a promise to pay..... So I backed off.  I am very iffy on having one.  The only benefit is that my company will put 25% in it, but if there is a chance I could lose it is it worth it?&nbs ...

For Those Who Participate In The 401K Plan....
Dec 04, 2009

I got the annual shareholder report that came with a form that looks like they want some kind of vote?  Are we supposed to mail this back or what?  First of all, I didn't know I was a "shareholder" of anything.  Unless it's true that they pay their 401K with MQ stocks?  I knew you could buy them (though I wouldn't on my own)....but I also heard a while back that MQ pays their 401K with stocks.  Anyone know anything about this voting/proxy form and/or if it ...

Does Anyone Know If MQ Does A 401K Match Anymore?
Mar 23, 2010

I'm wondering if I should just stop contributing at all.  I remember they used to, low as it was, at least it was something--like IF they made money, MAYBE they would and then a very low percentage, like 25 cents to the dollar?  Prob a mute point even asking.....but just wondering if they nixed that.  My sister is complaining because her company used to do a 100% match and now she only gets 75%.  Boo hoo!  At least she has a match.....I'm sure ours is now so ...

Anyone Left MQ And Taken A 401K Distribution,
Jul 14, 2010

either as a rollover to another retirement plan or a payout?  I am curious about how long this process takes, and whether there is much red tape.  I know I can call the 401K custodian and hear what SHOULD happen, but I am more interested in hearing from someone who's already done it if there were any holdups.  Thank you in advance for any replies, and have a great day!  ...

When A New Hire Is Available To Sign Up For A 401K
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone know when a new hire is available to sign up for a 401K and where can I do this?  ...

Did I Miss Something About 401K Match
Mar 13, 2012

Did we get an email about them matching now? I didn't get one and I've seen some posts on here about it.  If so, can someone tell me the date they got the email?  Thanks ...

Don't You Love The 401K Match?
Mar 15, 2012

It's true I'm only part-time but I figure my match will be about $30/year.  How many chapsticks will that buy? ...

401K Company Contribution
Jan 24, 2013

Hey All - Greetings-!  Say, any of you who do 401K contributions at Nuance, supposedly the company matches 50% up to the first 4%.  Do they consistently do this every time, or is it contingent on anything (like quarterly earnings, etc.)?  Does their contribution show "every check" or is it deposited every month or quarter or something like that?  I could not get a direct answer on this when I emailed the company benefits administrator, so I'm skeptical.  Without the ...

Can This Be True? MQ Contributes 50% Match For 401k....
Apr 30, 2011

Out of curiosity I went to the Merrill Lynch site.  I was looking around on my personal page; I had NO idea how much I had in there, and it showed me (I was surprised as I thought it was much less) But what do I know about it...never really kept up on it..... However, I always thought MQ didn't contribute a CENT anymore?  I clicked on "Learn more about your company's match" and it said it matches 50% of the first 5% you contribute....WTH???  Can anyone confirm or refute ...

My Company Is Implementing 401k, But Not Matching It.
Jan 20, 2012

Just an inquiry.  Is this better than getting 401K on your own?  Or do you need details to give a solid answer?  If they don't match it, I can't really see the good in it.  Just asking.  I am not savvy in financial matters.    ...