A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Patient First MTs - what was your hiring process like? - waiting&waiting

Posted: Jul 22, 2013

I completed the application process and the online testing about 4 weeks ago and, while the transcription test was very challenging, I felt I did well.  I know there's probably no point in sending an email to ask about the "status" of my application and test because they are quite capable of contacting me if they wanted to. Do they bother to contact applicants that didn't pass the test? (an email I'd hate to get, but at least there would be closure)  

I've read the more recent posts about PF and know that some people love them.  I'm attracted to them because they sound like they take this profession seriously (as I do), and expect the applicant to jump through a lot of hoops to prove themselves. It has been my experience that the lower the standards, the crummier the workplace, so I'm hoping this holds true for PF.  Regardless, I'm just hoping to interview so I can find out for myself what they are all about. Anyway, I would love to hear from anyone working at PF about what they went through between testing and hearing back from them so I can at least delude myself into thinking that I have a shot at this. TIA!

PF - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I hired on before they became a regular discussion here, and even then it seemed like it took a while. With the number of applicants they must have now, I suspect it is a lot to sort through. I don't know if they would get back to every person who has applied as to whether they are interested. I would think if you are in the running, you would be hearing from them soon.

I guess you could try sending a FU email and see if you hear anything.

Thanks for the info! sm - waiting&waiting

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad to hear that it may be normal for this to be a more drawn-out process than what I'm used to with MTSOs. I'll have to think hard about how to word such a note so that it doesn't put me on somebody's bad side (i.e., labeled as a pest). But I suppose that after waiting a month or longer w/o any word, then it wouldn't seem out of line to fire one off.

Agree with sm - PFMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I also started at PF before they started being discussed so much here. I took the test and 2-3 weeks later they checked my references but never contacted me for an interview. I tried a FU e-mail but did not get a response from that.

Several weeks later, I had an interview and was hired. It actually took over 2 months. I'm sure the timing is different depending on how many they are hiring, when they can schedule for training, etc.

BTW, all hiring is from the main office in Glen Allen, not the individual clinics, if you do try to FU. It would have saved me a lot of hassle trying to figure out how to check back with someone on the status of my application if I would have known that!

Best of luck!

PF - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with the others, it is a long process. Good luck, though! It really is a nice place to work once you are through training and up and running. You mentioned wanting to be treated like a professional, and I think that is one of the best parts about being here!

PF - diana

[ In Reply To ..]
So, how do you apply for an MT position with Patient First? Went to their website and did not see anything about transcription.

PF website - PF-EMP

[ In Reply To ..]
Go to their main website. At the very top, choose "careers." Choose "center & admin office ...," then "search for open positions" and choose admin offices again.

It is an at home position, it all just goes through that central location.

Okay, I feel better about the wait. Thanks for the pep talk and positive words! - waiting&waiting

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

PF - mollde

[ In Reply To ..]
dont hold your breath - I am scheduled for on-site interview.
interview - PF interview
[ In Reply To ..]
Do they really fly you in for an interview? What area of the country are you coming from?

If you don't mind my asking, what type of work or years do you have?

Not challenging you, just see them mentioned here a bit when they are hiring, but have never actually seen anyone feel like they did well on the test or actually get set up for an interview. Just wondering about the candidate profile they are looking for.

BTW - mollde

[ In Reply To ..]
I learned they have been deluged with applicants lately. Hence, any one with more than 2 blanks on testing is automatically excluded so as to whittle down the process. Luckily, I had only 1 blank. Good luck, tho.

I appreciate your candidness. But it is a little disconcerting ++ - waiting&waiting

[ In Reply To ..]
that they would equate a lack of blanks with accuracy. If what you are saying is true, then I should hang it up with them, at least for now. :(
I wish you good luck in the interview!

Brainfart there - of course a computer is grading the tests. Ignore what I wrote above. :P - waiting&waiting

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

The PF test was ridiculous, especially a certain - PFTEST

[ In Reply To ..]
female dictator, so if you only left 2 blanks you deserve to get hired. The test was quite difficult because of the terrible dictators they purposefully chose, instead of chosing difficult reports to see what you know, plus it was MTTest which is a pain. Whose to say the content was correct on a report with only 2 blanks anyway? Maybe I will take it over knowing this and find out.

didnt pass either - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The test was very hard but guess what those are the majority of the actual dictators who are out there now. If you cant understanding mumbling, whispering, speed talking foreigners you cant do this job. and for less than half the line rate transcribers made for excellent dictators 10/15 yrs ago.

Been there, done that, don't suggest it. - gemini

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't suggest to anyone that wants to further their career in this field to work for them. They make you use abbreviations for EVERYTHING, even meds, etc...most of which are not even correct abbreviations. They make you change tense of everything, each section and clinic differently, and they make you rearrange every sentence and remove any word that is not "necessary" in their eyes. In no way was it productive, and hindered my future in this field. I do not suggest, best of luck if you chose this option though!

oh gemini - youvecrushedme

[ In Reply To ..]
So many of us were thinking we had finally found the Holy Grail. Any way if you worked there and could not pass the test, how do they ever fine people to work there. Seems self defeating to make a test that like.

don't be crushed - just one take

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't be crushed. Not sure how gemini couldn't be productive there, but I am sure you have seen the replies here before from several PF employees who are doing just fine there. Also, don't know why someone would retake a test for a company they don't want to go back to? It is a long and involved test. As far as I know, you don't get your results on the spot, so not sure how she knows whether she passed or failed, but it may let you know ??? Mine didn't when I took it.

Anyway, I see the thing about the abbrev mentioned a lot, so will clear that up a little.

First of all, there is only 1 medication I can think of that is abbreviated - penicillin. If it is not on the abbreviations list, it must be spelled out. You will def come out ahead expanding what they say that gets spelled out than abbreviating the things on the list, which are mostly all common abbrev anyway.

Second, I counted all of my abbrev in my first 3 reports of the day and had 14 total, including BP and ROS more than once. So, if about 5 abbrev per report throughout the history, physical, and comments sections is too many, and typing things like EKG, BP, ROS, bid, and MI, etc., seems extreme, then I guess you shouldn't apply, lol!

Is it perfect? No, but it really is worth trying for over so much of what is out there. M-F schedule, they supply equip, let you work the hours you like each day as long as you get your min line count, good pay on a 50 character line with spaces, pay you properly for working holidays, lots of PTO, very nice benefits that you can actually afford, a TL that gets out of your way and lets you work but is there when you need them and answers immediately, always, always have work, no VR. They have some formatting to learn, but I guess that's the case with most companies. Once you get down their way of doing things, you are generally put on 1 or 2 primary clinics with the same docs all the time. You can make a lot of auto corrects for them and roll through the work. At least I do.

All in all, it's a great place!
I believe you! - mandi
[ In Reply To ..]
I have read the previous comments. I simply find it oddly comforting -
knowing my chances of hire are slim-to-none as they hire so seldomly - to hear that some people did not find it to their taste. The test she was talking about was the transcription test on the website. I think she just took it to see what others were talking about. The dictators were horrible. If those are typical dictators for PF, I would collapse at the end of my shift weeping inconsolably. You are quite blessed to be so happy with your company.

Yes, to each his own - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I am sure others have gone through there expecting one thing and finding it not to their liking. Honestly, if my old hospital job was out there, with the pay and benefits still intact, I would be looking into going back. I enjoy the technically challenging aspects of acute care.

Really though, I was addressing what gemini was saying about not being able to be productive at PF. If you are not happy somewhere or feel they are nit picky and you are second guessing yourself all the time or get the worst ESL all the time, I guess your numbers could be impacted.

However, I find the way the system is set up could hardly be more in favor of productivity. You type every report with 3 sections. Each section is in wrap around paragraph style. No breaking out headers, etc, just keep typing. Never send a copy to anyone. Other than matching the pt name & number that you pull over & get paid line count for, there is no other demo verification. You mainly get the same doctors a lot, so even the tough ones you learn and make auto corrects for. Yeah, it gets a little boring, and if you don't like a doctor, you will have a long day because they might do 10 reports +/- in a row, but as far as productivity, don't see how you can't be getting good numbers.
abbreviations - gemini
[ In Reply To ..]
That part about abbreviations...when you state you only had 5...you forgot to mention these are minute clinics. Notes are 10-15 lines long at max. Most I typed not even that many. I was constantly told I was using unnecessary words and to delete them...sentences were hardly readable. I just think it is horrible practice and English...to shorten a page long note to one paragraph, at best. I had 5 pages of abbreviations they made me use when working there, all for common words one would see in a minute clinic (i.e. runny nose, sore throat) note. I retook the test simply because I thought it was ridiculous how they did all of these things, and yes I did inquire if I passed and was told no. This was, after I stated, after a year of working there. I am now far more productive and happy elsewhere, thankfully!
intriguing - the disparity of views
[ In Reply To ..]
Would you share how many lines you averaged a day when you were there? Interested in the interaction of abbreviations with a shorter than normal (50 char) lines. How long did you stay?
lines - gemini
[ In Reply To ..]
I was there for almost a year. I always quit when I got to my minimum required for the day. They work such that (or did anyways) once you have your 1400 lines done for the day you don't have to continue working. I hated it enough because I thought it was creating horrible habits for me, that I always quit working shortly thereafter each day. :( It was incredibly hard on a day with horrible doctors especially to get to this many lines very quickly, with every other word being deleted or abbreviated. I really do wish all the best of luck who are there and applying, just warning you of the negative career side effects and the changes you will have to make and change to work for them. That is all, really not meant all negative. :)
intriguing - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
hi there, current PF employee. Typed about 2030 lines today in 6 hours. Equates to a little more than 25.00/hr. Can't imagine why anyone else is not in that range or above. Easy platform, 50 character line, and dictators you can make auto corrects for once you are used to them.
sorry! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Gosh Gemini, the way you describe it, it does sound tough. However, I have not experienced things the way you did. When I say 5 abbrev per report, those reports are fairly long for clinic notes. The 3 reports I mentioned were an entire page of a Word document, not that many abbrev in a few lines. And have never had to abbrev runny nose or sore throat, ever. No one has ever said I needed to reduce any paragraph to an unreadable level. I have a list of abbrev and abide by it. Mostly, they are typical abbrev. Anything else is spelled out. No one else decides arbitrarily what is ok or too much text. it is otherwise as dictated. No TL can say your paragraph is too long. Each QA occurrence must be accompanied with a notation to where it is found in the guidelines. Have gone through multiple QA audits without problem. How long ago did you work there?
abbreviations - gemini
[ In Reply To ..]
Almost a year. That was not my experience at all, sadly. I was told daily I needed to delete more words, delete more words. I got daily feedback (shortened to about half) when I typed verbatim for about the first two months I worked there. Not one sentence was a complete (English) sentence..sigh...which is so against industry standard (why I was just warning people).
sorry! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, hope that TL is no longer there! My TLs for 2 different regions have been nothing like that. Either it is in the guidelines, or it is okay. Understand your frustration, just not been my experience or understanding of the guidelines. Which general area did you work for, beach area VA, Richmond, No Va, Maryland, or Pa?
area - gemini
[ In Reply To ..]
I was in the Pennsylvania pool...
sorry again! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Gemini, really sorry for your experience! I am have not seen what you experienced, thought do not doubt you did not have a good experience! Sorry. It is a good company with good benefits, and if it could have worked out for you, I think you would have been okay.

However, saw that you mentioned you are doing well somewhere else, and am so glad you are happy elsewhere! not every job is a fit for every one, so am very glad it is all working out for you!
I deeply appreciate your - sharing
[ In Reply To ..]
I think this career is disappearing, so the thought of not adhering to industry standards is not a big concern for me. I basically want to pay my rent and have medical insurance to see a doctor when I am sick. Thank you gemini and anon for the contrasting viewpoints.

PS - gemini

[ In Reply To ..]
After nearly a year of working for them when I eventually did quit and look elsewhere...I retook their "test" and also did not pass. I put everything in the tense I know they use, etc. and did not pass. I never had issues with quality with them..but still could not pass their test. ?? Good luck all!

Similar Messages:

Hiring Process
Jun 17, 2014

Hello, Can anyone who works for MModal tell me what the hiring process is like? I applied and was invited to test. I completed the test last week. How long can I expect to wait for my results? I think I did well. Please, no rude comments. Thanks. ...

Hiring Process For TTS Sm
Aug 26, 2014

So, how long from hired to fully working does it take?  I'm going on 2 weeks now, but with the thread that was posted below, I'm wondering if I made the right decision.  Any info appreciated. ...

Very Long Hiring Process.
Apr 03, 2012

I was just hired by Nuance and have received hiring paper work.  Looks like I will not even start working until maybe end of April.  It seems that everything here takes forever.  But at least we have a job here, for whatever it is worth.  So what if you are really depending on this income to pay your bills?  Then what???  I guess these big companies are not too worried about that huh??? ...

Transtech Hiring Process
Jul 18, 2014

Can anyone shed some light ont heir hiring process.  I took their online test, I think, last week and have not heard whether I passed or failed.  If I failed, will they let me know- Thanks!!! ...

Med-Scribe In Jacksonville Hiring Process
Sep 04, 2011

Can anyone tell me what the hiring process is for Med-Scribe.  I filled out an application and took the written test online.  Do they send you the audio files or what is the next process?  TIA. ...

Patient First Transcription - Finished The Application Process
Aug 29, 2013

Does anyone know how long it might take to hear back from Patient First regarding my application and typing test? I tested last week, haven't heard back and there is no way to follow up with anyone directly. When I log on to the career site, it just says that I have nothing further to do as I have already finished the application process. ...

Patient First - When They Might Begin Hiring Again?
Mar 10, 2015

Any insider info on when they might begin hiring again? Still hoping ... ...

Patient First - Hiring Freeze Might Be Lifted?
Apr 19, 2015

Does anyone have any info on when their hiring freeze might be lifted?  Still hoping .... Thanks! ...

New Audit Process
Jul 16, 2010

Just wondering if anybody had been audited by the new audit process yet?  My CCM says they are being done by an auditing team now and have since May.  Could you still tell you were being audited by looking in feedback and were the reports current or old?  Thanks. ...

So What Is The Process If You Get A Critical Err
Jun 24, 2011

GD SOB! Have been passing all the audits with flying colors (99% or better), even the audit earlier this week.  but then I got an email today of a report with critical errors.  Real bad doctor who mumbles and changes his mind in midsentence but doesn't say 'scratch that' or 'correction' or anything like that.  sheesh.  so do they automatically put you on disciplinary action or cut your pay for one bad report?  or do i hope that on my next ...

S/l Incident Process
Sep 19, 2010

Similar dissection was then carried out on the right side with more prominent bulkydisease limiting the nasal airway on this side. Maxillary sinus ostium was not seen andthe _____ process was incised and taken down.    s/l uncident or incident  or 'ends of ' process ...

Antoinette Process(s/l)
Oct 12, 2012

The Antoinette process(s/l) was then freed from the portal vein/SMV, and adjacent SMA.   During a whipple procedure and enterotomy  ...

Can Someone Tell Me What The Testing Process Is
Jun 19, 2013

for LDMTS and if there is a testing process?  I have a very hard time testing and not even sure if my 64-bit Vista and IN-USB-2 foot pedal will work with Editscript/eScription. ...

Transoslutions - How Is The Testiing Process?
Aug 25, 2010

nm ...

S/l Onsenant Process, Has Something To Do With Sinuses?
Aug 18, 2011

. ...

S/l Morfan Amulitis Process
Feb 10, 2012

This is a pulmonary file.  The doc is talking about a CT scan.  He says, "Recurrent pneumonia.  Reviewing the CT scans, this is very suggestive of _____s/l morfan anulitis process" _____ than an infective pneumonia. ...

Anyone Gone Throught This Mentoring Process Yet?
Apr 24, 2012

How exactly does it work.  Do we log into our reg accounts and they log in to so they can watch us work and tell us easier ways to do our job or how exactly do they do it?  ...

About MIST Testing Process.
Sep 18, 2012

Just an FYI.  I applied for a QA Editor position, which pays a paltry 2 cpl. I figured it would be a little extra money in pocket. Got a call from a gal who wanted me to test. Ok, I said. We scheduled it and another gal sent me an email with instructions to call in and enter a code along with instructions to read. I read the instructions, called the number, entered the code.  Got the gal on the line and she walked me through downloading the files, which any boob could do. So, I figured ...

Can They Make The OOW Process Anymore
Nov 20, 2012

x ...

Does The Testing Process Just Irritate Anyone Besides Me?
Apr 18, 2013

I have gotten to where if I apply for a job and it refers me right over to the testing process, I don't even take the test, I just back out of the application and don't bother.  I know I lose jobs, due to this, but that process is too irritating to me.  If I apply for a job and I receive a reply stating that they are interested in me and would like for me to test, THEN I don't mind testing.  I just cannot see randomly taking a test, typing 7 or 8 reports these days ...

Potential Employers Interview Process
Mar 22, 2011

So I graduated in February and began the job hunt.  Finally I receive one call back from a local company. To date I have attended two seperate interviews. The second time I was supposed to test but the computer was not working so a couple of weeks later they schedule testing at one of the transcriptionist house.  I test and the computer freezes up.  Luckily the test is recovered the next day and sent to the boss for review.  Get another call today, and am told that ...

Nuance Testing Process Question
Mar 13, 2012

I applied to and tested for Nuance on Friday. Any idea how long it takes to hear back, one way or the other? TIA :-) ...

Information On How The CCS Exam Process Works
Mar 27, 2012

I'm looking for some information on how the CCS exam process works, i.e., how long is the exam, etc.  I understand you can bring your books, which books do they allow?  Thanks in advance. ...

Questions About The Billing Process In Your Office
Jan 26, 2013

How does your billing process work in your place of employment? How many employees are involved in that process? What is each person’s job entails? What is their greatest challenge daily? Is there any pointer's that they can give you that has helped them on the job site?   I don't know any billers or coders locally to ask these questions so I thought I would get a good variety of answers here. Thanks ...

Question About NJA Process. Cannot Find Information I Need To See.
Apr 22, 2013

I can find the policy about what to do if you have had 15 minutes of NJA. NJA instructions have been: If another job does not come up within 15 minutes, you can file an NJA slip through Remedy. But, if a job comes up within that 15-minute period, you are to do that job and the 15-minute wait time starts over again. -- In the first paragraph of the NJA policy. What most, if not everyone, have been told to do is to sign out whilst waiting for another job, and if a job comes up before th ...

Inscribe Application Process Is EXHAUSTING!
Jun 25, 2013

Wow, maybe it's just because I've been doing radiology for so long but just looking at the instructions for their testing and application process is EXHAUSTING! Is it just me? Anyone know how they are to work for? Is it worth all the pain? :) ...

Softscript - Testing And Interview Process?
Oct 15, 2014

Can anyone please tell me about the Softscript testing and interview process?   Is it that mttest one?  Is there an actual transcription/typing test (wondering if I need to dig out the footpedal)?  About how long is the interview and what sorts of questions will I be asked?  I am just trying to be completely prepared.  Thanks for any information. ...

Auditors - What's The Maximum Length Of A Report You Process?
Apr 15, 2014

When you're pulling reports to audit, how long is too long?   ...

Patient Scheduled For Shoulder Surgery - Patient Has Pacemaker
Sep 12, 2011

We will have the patient seen by anesthesia preop to make sure the pacemaker is properly cared for during the surgical procedure, which requires general anesthesia, and the use of the s/l **bovig** during the surgery.  Thanks!! ...

The Patient Is On S/l Peer-uh-lone And Digoxin (cardiac Patient)
Feb 09, 2015

thank you ...