A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

information on how the CCS exam process works - Almost Ready

Posted: Mar 27, 2012

I'm looking for some information on how the CCS exam process works, i.e., how long is the exam, etc.  I understand you can bring your books, which books do they allow?  Thanks in advance.

Complete info is on AHIMA website - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Not trying to be snooty. It really is all there. There is a considerable amount. You do not want to take the advice of anyone but them. They have a new test company, so we would not know for sure.

It is easy to find. You have to find it before you can register, anyway.

After you find it, we can amswer specific questions about it.

CCS Exam - Almost Ready

[ In Reply To ..]
I really wanted to get an understanding of how the test is run from someone who took the test, not from AHIMA. I know they have a testing company, I know you have to pay in advance, you can bring books, but I don't know which ones. I was told if you have too much writing in them, they may take your books away, so what's that all about; I've been hesitant to write anything in my books. Can I take all my books from my course along with me? I'll need extra luggage on that day. Is it mainly coding and I just need the CPT, etc.? How many questions? How long were you given to take the test? Did you finish in time? Those are the kinds of things I wanted to know, but if no one is willing to give information about the test, that's fine, too. I won't ask again.

Intense experience, finished on time and passed, and that is how I know - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
That you need to get the information from the official source.

Nearly everything you asked is addressed online. We can tell you what we think we remember, but if we are wrong, where does that leave you?

I was not being lazy by asking you to go to the AHIMA website-I was doing what is best for you. It will be sad if you react to it by refusing to ask questions, beause you will be harming yourself.

Suggestion: Talk To Some Fellow Graduates With Recent Successful Testing Experience - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
The best thing to do is find people with a similar educational background in coding. In other words, find someone who went to the same school you did who successfully sat for that CCS exam. Then get information from them on how they did it. You don't find many new graduates who are capable of taking that test without leaving in the middle of it. Once you do find one, hang on to them. Get all the information you can. If they studied the same material you did, you can do it too. On the other hand, it's nearly impossible to find people who were able to pass the CCS exam right out of school. Most schools don't teach to that level. If yours didn't, you'll have to do additional study on your own and hope for the best. You won't find any successful fellow CCS graduates.

These are questions to ask your instuctor - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Our instructor answers questions like that for us. Also, if you are taking a course like Andrews that has a message board where students and graduates talk, you can get good information there as well, from people who have been exactly where you are, studying the same books in the same course. Nobody else can help you because there are such huge differences in the abilities of new graduates, the books they've completed and at what level they completed them, etc. Good luck with the test! I hope you do well on it.

We had a discussion on our school board about those same questions - Understand where you are coming from

[ In Reply To ..]
We were all wondering about how much writing we could do in our books, should we use highlighter, what kind of highlighter, etc. Several of the graduates told about their experiences. One of them told about a guy who kept moaning and finally just quit and left. Another one said she walked out thinking she had failed, but she passed.

The questions you're asking are all great questions. It would just take a really comprehensive discussion though, and that isn't possible here. That's why you're being encouraged to go back to your school and get answers that are relevant to graduates who went through your specific program. Are you going to be one of the ones who moans through the test and then walks out before finishing because your course didn't prepare you? Did your course provide you with the right books and tell you what kinds of notes you can include in it? Those are things none of us can tell you, but your fellow graduates and instructors can.

Why Coder gave you that answer. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If Coder is who we think she is, she will think you would be more confident if you get accurate information on your own and THEN ask questions about it. She thinks teaching people to fish is important. You probably ought to listen to her suggestions because she has gotten a lot of people through those exams. She isn't referring you to the AHIMA website because she does not want to take time to answer but because she thinks that going there will relieve most of the anxiety you now feel.

I have to agree with that. A big reason people fail those exams is they did not see the instructions or requirements beforehand. Some people register but never look at the candidate guide or see what is going to be on the exam. They show up with the wrong books and are not admitted. Things like that.

You might be thinking that AHIMA is sneaky about this, but they are not. They tell you everything you need to know. You have to do what they tell you, not what teachers or coders tell you.

Here's the site - Shay

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.ahima.org/certification/chda.aspx?gclid=CJu5m7_qia8CFYGo4AodLhn6-Q

I read all of the information on the site, then I called AHIMA for more information. They were helpful, but suggested 3 years or more experience before sitting for the test. I didn't take the AHIMA test, I took the AAPC test...hope I didn't make a $400 mistake.

Thank you - Almost Ready

[ In Reply To ..]
for your kind replies. Honestly, I don't think I'll be moaning and groaning when I take the test. I'm a nervous test-taker and need to just calm down and know that I can get through it. The education I'm getting is going very well, but again I'm nervous about taking these tests, but know if I calm down I'll be able to handle it. Just wanted to get a feel for the test beforehand.

Not getting this ... what $400 mistake? - CCS, CPC

[ In Reply To ..]
Not clear what you think to be a $400 mistake . . . taking the CPC? How could something like that ever be a mistake? I have both credentials? Do you feel I made a mistake? How?

I don't feel you made a mistake at all - Shay

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry if I was unclear. I just meant, that the hospital jobs seem to be asking for the CCS credential. Honestly, I have never worked as a coder I just want to break into this field. I guess I didn't understand the that the CPC credential was based more in outpatient coding and the CCS credential was based more on inpatient coding. That was just my misunderstanding. I was afraid that the CPC without experience was not worth as much as the CCS without experience. It's the experience component I am most worried about.
Credentials are like potato chips. Why stop at just one? - CCS, CPC
[ In Reply To ..]
One credential, either one, is good, but two are better. It goes a long way toward overcoming the experience issue and in showing that you can do any coding job. With one from each organization, you will look good no matter which organization the employer favors.

Thanks, again - Almost Ready
[ In Reply To ..]
for your comments. Perhaps I did miss something when I read the info on AHIMA's website and will re-read; perhaps I don't know how to code either since I can't read everything you know that's on the website!
Make sure you click on all the links on that page. - CCS, CPC
[ In Reply To ..]
As I recall, there is general information on the first page, but there is much more in the links. It looks like you might have missed some of that. For instance, you asked us how many questions there would be, if you could bring books, and if you could write in them. That was answered on the exam site.

There is a link to the candidate guide that is pretty obvious, but there are also links to a doument that explains exactly what is on the exam. It tells you the number of questions and how long you have. There is also a document that lists exactly what books you can use. It tells you whether you can write in them and how much writing is ok.

I think you have felt that some here were just being critical when they were trying to point you toward what they know you must have before you can take the test.

Seriously, I think most of us have met people who failed that test more than once because they did not read the website. They never knew there was a candidate guide, a list of references or what it meant, sample questions, and a list of books.

I have had several want to borrow my code books because they have the wrong ones and did not realize it until two days before when someone saw them packing a tote bag. Some got to the test site and were denied entrance because they did not bring what they needed. Some had to tear pages out of their books or remove all their sticky notes. Every one of them missed the instructions and insisted that nobody ever told them.

Some came back in tears saying they did not know there would be questions about diseases and treatments and DRGs.

Others freaked out over the behavior of other people in the test center, not realizing that those people were not taking coding tests so their moaning and crying had nothing to do with how hard the coding test was, and that when they got up and left it was because they were finished with their exam.

Others never read the instructions that tell you how and what to code. They never found them on the website and did not perceive them as important when they saw them at the beginning of the test because they were too harried.

The failure rate on that exam is very, very high. You really do need to print out all that information and review it over and over before considering yourself ready. What we say about the exam is nearly meaningless. You need to get it from the horse's mouth.
Thank you for this advice - Almost Ready
[ In Reply To ..]
Your reply has made a big difference in my attitude. I appreciate your taking the time to answer and clarify.

CCS Exam - jm

[ In Reply To ..]
Read all that on AHIMA. Print it off. It is rather detailed. The more you know, the more prepared you will feel. I know what you mean about wanting to hear from people who have been through the experience. I believe it was 4 hours, it's been a while. The time went really fast! When I took it, the first part was 60 questions in 60 minutes. I believe they have added more questions now. The second part was patient cases. Read the cases, code them. 6 outpatient, 7 inpatient or something like that. It may be different now. Enter the numbers on the computer in the little boxes and don't put the number in the wrong place, or the whole code will be off. I never wrote in my book, I would not have had time to look at it anyway! I think the whole test might be on computer now, but I had a booklet that contained the cases. Very awkward trying to hold that open and enter the codes. They also gave us laminate boards with markers that dried out. I was used to taking notes as I coded a case, this was impossible to do with that board and those markers, so I wasted time trying to use those stupid tools and finally abandoned that idea, but the frustration and waste of time doing that had me in tears! Just stay calm, keep going, even if you feel you won't pass. I had to pull myself together and truck on and I passed! Study the guidelines, don't stress yourself out, keep moving, don't give up.

Thanks - Almost ready

[ In Reply To ..]
for the answer. That's what I was looking for, someone who could tell me their experience. I realize the test must change each time, but the flavor remains the same. I had already checked AHIMA and called them, but got little information over the phone. They told me I had to apply first and then I would get the information. Anyway, I appreciate your response.

They will give you little info over the phone - CCS

[ In Reply To ..]
They are not big on giving info over the phone because there is nothing left to say after they posted it on their website. I don't imagine they would have time to provide every applicant with verbal instructions, but if they did it would lead to possible legal complications later. ("You never said that when I called!")

They will send instructions after you register, but it will be the same as on the website.

It really has not been clear what you did and did not read. The questions you asked first were questions that had been answered on the CCS website. You became a little testy at being referred to the website, but now say that you read the website. I can't figure out what you read from what you are posting here, making me wonder if you found all of it or if you did not understand it.

Even with this last post, I do not see that you read that material. You might not realize it, but you are saying things that indicate you are not aware of what is there. I agree that you really do need to read it completely before doing anything else.

It is great to ask for the flavor of the exam, but that is not what you have been asking for. When you read all of that website, you will see how we know that you did not read it.
Chastisement - does
[ In Reply To ..]
not fit here. She just wanted a human side/experience of taking the exam.

Similar Messages:

Question About NJA Process. Cannot Find Information I Need To See.
Apr 22, 2013

I can find the policy about what to do if you have had 15 minutes of NJA. NJA instructions have been: If another job does not come up within 15 minutes, you can file an NJA slip through Remedy. But, if a job comes up within that 15-minute period, you are to do that job and the 15-minute wait time starts over again. -- In the first paragraph of the NJA policy. What most, if not everyone, have been told to do is to sign out whilst waiting for another job, and if a job comes up before th ...

New Audit Process
Jul 16, 2010

Just wondering if anybody had been audited by the new audit process yet?  My CCM says they are being done by an auditing team now and have since May.  Could you still tell you were being audited by looking in feedback and were the reports current or old?  Thanks. ...

So What Is The Process If You Get A Critical Err
Jun 24, 2011

GD SOB! Have been passing all the audits with flying colors (99% or better), even the audit earlier this week.  but then I got an email today of a report with critical errors.  Real bad doctor who mumbles and changes his mind in midsentence but doesn't say 'scratch that' or 'correction' or anything like that.  sheesh.  so do they automatically put you on disciplinary action or cut your pay for one bad report?  or do i hope that on my next ...

S/l Incident Process
Sep 19, 2010

Similar dissection was then carried out on the right side with more prominent bulkydisease limiting the nasal airway on this side. Maxillary sinus ostium was not seen andthe _____ process was incised and taken down.    s/l uncident or incident  or 'ends of ' process ...

Antoinette Process(s/l)
Oct 12, 2012

The Antoinette process(s/l) was then freed from the portal vein/SMV, and adjacent SMA.   During a whipple procedure and enterotomy  ...

Can Someone Tell Me What The Testing Process Is
Jun 19, 2013

for LDMTS and if there is a testing process?  I have a very hard time testing and not even sure if my 64-bit Vista and IN-USB-2 foot pedal will work with Editscript/eScription. ...

Hiring Process
Jun 17, 2014

Hello, Can anyone who works for MModal tell me what the hiring process is like? I applied and was invited to test. I completed the test last week. How long can I expect to wait for my results? I think I did well. Please, no rude comments. Thanks. ...

Hiring Process For TTS Sm
Aug 26, 2014

So, how long from hired to fully working does it take?  I'm going on 2 weeks now, but with the thread that was posted below, I'm wondering if I made the right decision.  Any info appreciated. ...

Transoslutions - How Is The Testiing Process?
Aug 25, 2010

nm ...

S/l Onsenant Process, Has Something To Do With Sinuses?
Aug 18, 2011

. ...

S/l Morfan Amulitis Process
Feb 10, 2012

This is a pulmonary file.  The doc is talking about a CT scan.  He says, "Recurrent pneumonia.  Reviewing the CT scans, this is very suggestive of _____s/l morfan anulitis process" _____ than an infective pneumonia. ...

Very Long Hiring Process.
Apr 03, 2012

I was just hired by Nuance and have received hiring paper work.  Looks like I will not even start working until maybe end of April.  It seems that everything here takes forever.  But at least we have a job here, for whatever it is worth.  So what if you are really depending on this income to pay your bills?  Then what???  I guess these big companies are not too worried about that huh??? ...

Anyone Gone Throught This Mentoring Process Yet?
Apr 24, 2012

How exactly does it work.  Do we log into our reg accounts and they log in to so they can watch us work and tell us easier ways to do our job or how exactly do they do it?  ...

About MIST Testing Process.
Sep 18, 2012

Just an FYI.  I applied for a QA Editor position, which pays a paltry 2 cpl. I figured it would be a little extra money in pocket. Got a call from a gal who wanted me to test. Ok, I said. We scheduled it and another gal sent me an email with instructions to call in and enter a code along with instructions to read. I read the instructions, called the number, entered the code.  Got the gal on the line and she walked me through downloading the files, which any boob could do. So, I figured ...

Can They Make The OOW Process Anymore
Nov 20, 2012

x ...

Does The Testing Process Just Irritate Anyone Besides Me?
Apr 18, 2013

I have gotten to where if I apply for a job and it refers me right over to the testing process, I don't even take the test, I just back out of the application and don't bother.  I know I lose jobs, due to this, but that process is too irritating to me.  If I apply for a job and I receive a reply stating that they are interested in me and would like for me to test, THEN I don't mind testing.  I just cannot see randomly taking a test, typing 7 or 8 reports these days ...

Patient First MTs - What Was Your Hiring Process Like?
Jul 22, 2013

I completed the application process and the online testing about 4 weeks ago and, while the transcription test was very challenging, I felt I did well.  I know there's probably no point in sending an email to ask about the "status" of my application and test because they are quite capable of contacting me if they wanted to. Do they bother to contact applicants that didn't pass the test? (an email I'd hate to get, but at least there would be closure)   I've read the ...

Transtech Hiring Process
Jul 18, 2014

Can anyone shed some light ont heir hiring process.  I took their online test, I think, last week and have not heard whether I passed or failed.  If I failed, will they let me know- Thanks!!! ...

Potential Employers Interview Process
Mar 22, 2011

So I graduated in February and began the job hunt.  Finally I receive one call back from a local company. To date I have attended two seperate interviews. The second time I was supposed to test but the computer was not working so a couple of weeks later they schedule testing at one of the transcriptionist house.  I test and the computer freezes up.  Luckily the test is recovered the next day and sent to the boss for review.  Get another call today, and am told that ...

Med-Scribe In Jacksonville Hiring Process
Sep 04, 2011

Can anyone tell me what the hiring process is for Med-Scribe.  I filled out an application and took the written test online.  Do they send you the audio files or what is the next process?  TIA. ...

Nuance Testing Process Question
Mar 13, 2012

I applied to and tested for Nuance on Friday. Any idea how long it takes to hear back, one way or the other? TIA :-) ...

Questions About The Billing Process In Your Office
Jan 26, 2013

How does your billing process work in your place of employment? How many employees are involved in that process? What is each person’s job entails? What is their greatest challenge daily? Is there any pointer's that they can give you that has helped them on the job site?   I don't know any billers or coders locally to ask these questions so I thought I would get a good variety of answers here. Thanks ...

Inscribe Application Process Is EXHAUSTING!
Jun 25, 2013

Wow, maybe it's just because I've been doing radiology for so long but just looking at the instructions for their testing and application process is EXHAUSTING! Is it just me? Anyone know how they are to work for? Is it worth all the pain? :) ...

Softscript - Testing And Interview Process?
Oct 15, 2014

Can anyone please tell me about the Softscript testing and interview process?   Is it that mttest one?  Is there an actual transcription/typing test (wondering if I need to dig out the footpedal)?  About how long is the interview and what sorts of questions will I be asked?  I am just trying to be completely prepared.  Thanks for any information. ...

Patient First Transcription - Finished The Application Process
Aug 29, 2013

Does anyone know how long it might take to hear back from Patient First regarding my application and typing test? I tested last week, haven't heard back and there is no way to follow up with anyone directly. When I log on to the career site, it just says that I have nothing further to do as I have already finished the application process. ...

Auditors - What's The Maximum Length Of A Report You Process?
Apr 15, 2014

When you're pulling reports to audit, how long is too long?   ...

Question For All MTs', Especially Trained By Mentoring Process And Did Your Time In The Trenche
Apr 29, 2010

Hi, I'm a former Acute Care Transcriptionist who has 12 years hospital, 2 years clinical experience including not cherry-picking and found out years later that their most experienced transcriptionist refused to do an account I was put on due to the ESL ratio.  They did try to make me feel like I was the one who was stoopid, etc..... aside from that....I retired from this profession to home-school my children full-time, be a wife and mother...hubby is very high maintenance.... Any ...

Can Someone Please Explain To Me The Process Of Figuring Out Your Line Count Rate? . . . .
May 18, 2010

I understand that the potential is there to maybe collect unemployment due to low, unavailable work with the Q.  I am curious as to how to figure my hourly rate with the Q to see if I am even making minimum rate in my state (which is $7.25/hour)  any one interested in explaining the process on how to figure this out?   Thanking one and all in advance. ...

I'm New To The Employment Process, Being A New Grad Of Career Step. Info.?
May 05, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm new to the employment process for medical transcription &/or general transcription.  Can anyone tell me anything about a company called TTETranscription? Tnank you!  Joyce ...

AIIMS Exam Or AMES Exam
Sep 15, 2011

Doing a report for a counseling and recovery center. Dr. says.... AIIMS exam showed mild involuntary movement of upper extremities and t____ assessment. Is it AIMS exam or Ames exam. I am also unsure of the blank, it sounds like it starts with the letter T. Thank you Thank you in advance! ...