A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Questions about the billing process in your office - mt2coder

Posted: Jan 26, 2013

How does your billing process work in your place of employment?

How many employees are involved in that process?

What is each person’s job entails?

What is their greatest challenge daily?

Is there any pointer's that they can give you that has helped them on the job site?

I don't know any billers or coders locally to ask these questions so I thought I would get a good variety of answers here. Thanks

Reply - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm assuming that this is a school project. The answers to your questions would require a lot of detail and might also possibly require divulging some confidential information. My suggestion would be to contact facilities in your area and interview their billig/coding managers.

I can't even begin to answer that -- gosh! - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, think that's a school assignment. We have about 100-150 people involved in that process, so answering your questions would be nearly impossible. It would also require me to post some semi-proprietary information online.

The crux of the matter is that you don't know any billers or coders locally. I am familiar enough with college programs in coding and HIT to tell you that the reason you got this assignment was NOT for your education. It was more to get you involved with the local HIM, coding and/or billing community. So that you could build contacts and network for a job when you finish your program.

What I'm going to tell you now could help you with your assignment and job hunt.

Our billing process involves physicians documenting in writing in the medical record, coders reading that documentation to assign correct codes, billers constructing bills from that in accordance with payer requirements, and coders who review rejected claims to get everything to match. We also have compliance reviewers to conduct audits to make certain we do all of this correctly, from doctors to billers. We have trainers who take all that information and information from other sources to provide all of the above with training to make sure we keep up with changes and do everything right.

Their greatest challenge is keeping up with changing knowledge in terms of coding and billing rules and requirements, and with technologic changes like software and computers.

The pointer they will give you is to immediately begin attending local professional organization meetings and activities. You can get your assignment answered there. You can also make acquaintances who can help you get a job when you graduate.

The purpose of your assignment is to force you to meet up with and talk to people who will improve your chances of getting a job. "Hey, there's this woman I met at the AAPC meeting a few months ago. She comes every month and seems on the ball. Maybe you'd consider her?"

Seriously, that's the best pointer you could get, and I think your instructor will think so, too. Find your local AAPC chapter and start attending those monthly meetings. You'll learn something from the presentation at every one. Arrive looking professional, act professional, and make the best of it. Offer to help with setup and cleanup. JOIN the AAPC and become involved in chapter activities.

Find out from them when the exams will be given. Find out when the reviews will be held. Attend the reviews and take the exams. Once you are certified, even if you do not have a job yet, offer to proctor, set up, clean up, handle mass mailings, whatever.

Get help with your resume. Get help expanding your horizons and furthering your education. Get help putting your name out to employers -- that's where most coders are hired, not from the published ads. (The decision has already been made.)

Another good pointer is to use your contacts to find shadowing opportunities and volunteer activities. Both of those can lead to jobs and you can use both on your resume.

Oh, another pointer . . . never, ever say anything negative on the job and WORK on the job, not socialize. Never gossip. Never talk about anyone. Never talk about yourself or family, except in minimal terms . . . "Yes, we enjoy visiting the beach!" Spend your time at work WORKING and not on the phone with friends and family, not chatting with other employees, and not socializing. Really. You can be pleasant and "sociable," but your time at work is WORK, not social time. Just be too busy to get involved with the turmoil and whatnot.

What? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
95% of your response has nothing to do with the original question, especially the last paragraph; why did you feel the need to give advice about workplace etiquette?

Look at the last question about - pointers

[ In Reply To ..]
Her last question asked for pointers to help on the job. That was the pointer most of my asociates would give.

It might seem obvious to you, but it is not obvious to everyone. I can't tell you how many coders and billers I see who get let go or who will never advance because they spend their workdays spreading gossip and rumors, are chronically unavailable because they are yakking on their cell phone, or are sitting at the smoking table outside reading paperbacks or are sitting at their desk reading them 15 to 20 minutes of every hour or whenever they "don't have anything to do." Or who cannot leave their office to talk to a provider or attend a meeting because their phone won't work in that part of the hospital and they have to stay available in case their children, mom, husband, boyfrirnd or mechanics call.

If you do not believe this affects hiring, I have se also know of several coding or HIT interns who were not offered a job because they spent their time complaining about their current job and boss, took right up with the smoking break crowd, came in late, had to leave campus to run personal errands, took hours-long lunches, and/or couldn't turn off their cell phone, spent their time texting, spent time giggling over youtube and bothering our employees to watch them. Not to mention several who could not stay awake. Including one who just plain slept.

Did I mention staying awake in my other post?I guess "be accurate" was the expected job tip, but the things I mentioned have a greater effect on you. It takes a lot longer to document inaccuracy and inaccuracy is often forgivn if the employee is not otherwise obnoxious.

I guess I feel those things are not just workplace etiquette. WE would be more like not leaving moldy food in the fridge and not taking up half a shelf with your giant cooler. The things I mentioned are more like job killers. Maybe not in other fields, but definitely in this one.

And I didn't say that I felt the OP had a problem in that area . . . this is an assignment that might be shared with others in her class. THEY are my target! Their teachers, too. (They have no idea what their students are doing!)

These are not easy things to say. People get upset. They don't like hearing that they need to put their phone away, stay off the drugs, show up at work, keep nasty talk to yourself, andd stay awake. They feel that interferes with their rights. But, you know, you still get nonselected and even dehired for them.

So, that is why I talk about them. Apparently, I am a voice crying in the wilderness. If one person can benefit from my cries, then some good will come of it.

mt2coder, you now have enough controversy for a really good paper . . . hope if helps!
Good Grief! - Mobile mayhem!
[ In Reply To ..]
The number of typos in that post should answer the question about whether "Coder" is Redpen. Sheesh!

Good grief indeed! - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Everything you ever wanted to know (but were afraid to ask)!

Thanks for this answer sm - bystander

[ In Reply To ..]
Please ignore the cats. Thanks for your perspective and the pointers.

Thank you coder, love love love your posts - another MT 2 coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Your posts are always informative and well thought out. I totally agree with your comments on proper work etiquette/behavior! The office politics can be brutal and it is best to rise above them and refuse to participate in any gossip! Please continue posting!

Similar Messages:

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

New Audit Process
Jul 16, 2010

Just wondering if anybody had been audited by the new audit process yet?  My CCM says they are being done by an auditing team now and have since May.  Could you still tell you were being audited by looking in feedback and were the reports current or old?  Thanks. ...

So What Is The Process If You Get A Critical Err
Jun 24, 2011

GD SOB! Have been passing all the audits with flying colors (99% or better), even the audit earlier this week.  but then I got an email today of a report with critical errors.  Real bad doctor who mumbles and changes his mind in midsentence but doesn't say 'scratch that' or 'correction' or anything like that.  sheesh.  so do they automatically put you on disciplinary action or cut your pay for one bad report?  or do i hope that on my next ...

S/l Incident Process
Sep 19, 2010

Similar dissection was then carried out on the right side with more prominent bulkydisease limiting the nasal airway on this side. Maxillary sinus ostium was not seen andthe _____ process was incised and taken down.    s/l uncident or incident  or 'ends of ' process ...

Antoinette Process(s/l)
Oct 12, 2012

The Antoinette process(s/l) was then freed from the portal vein/SMV, and adjacent SMA.   During a whipple procedure and enterotomy  ...

Can Someone Tell Me What The Testing Process Is
Jun 19, 2013

for LDMTS and if there is a testing process?  I have a very hard time testing and not even sure if my 64-bit Vista and IN-USB-2 foot pedal will work with Editscript/eScription. ...

Hiring Process
Jun 17, 2014

Hello, Can anyone who works for MModal tell me what the hiring process is like? I applied and was invited to test. I completed the test last week. How long can I expect to wait for my results? I think I did well. Please, no rude comments. Thanks. ...

Hiring Process For TTS Sm
Aug 26, 2014

So, how long from hired to fully working does it take?  I'm going on 2 weeks now, but with the thread that was posted below, I'm wondering if I made the right decision.  Any info appreciated. ...

Transoslutions - How Is The Testiing Process?
Aug 25, 2010

nm ...

S/l Onsenant Process, Has Something To Do With Sinuses?
Aug 18, 2011

. ...

S/l Morfan Amulitis Process
Feb 10, 2012

This is a pulmonary file.  The doc is talking about a CT scan.  He says, "Recurrent pneumonia.  Reviewing the CT scans, this is very suggestive of _____s/l morfan anulitis process" _____ than an infective pneumonia. ...

Very Long Hiring Process.
Apr 03, 2012

I was just hired by Nuance and have received hiring paper work.  Looks like I will not even start working until maybe end of April.  It seems that everything here takes forever.  But at least we have a job here, for whatever it is worth.  So what if you are really depending on this income to pay your bills?  Then what???  I guess these big companies are not too worried about that huh??? ...

Anyone Gone Throught This Mentoring Process Yet?
Apr 24, 2012

How exactly does it work.  Do we log into our reg accounts and they log in to so they can watch us work and tell us easier ways to do our job or how exactly do they do it?  ...

About MIST Testing Process.
Sep 18, 2012

Just an FYI.  I applied for a QA Editor position, which pays a paltry 2 cpl. I figured it would be a little extra money in pocket. Got a call from a gal who wanted me to test. Ok, I said. We scheduled it and another gal sent me an email with instructions to call in and enter a code along with instructions to read. I read the instructions, called the number, entered the code.  Got the gal on the line and she walked me through downloading the files, which any boob could do. So, I figured ...

Can They Make The OOW Process Anymore
Nov 20, 2012

x ...

Does The Testing Process Just Irritate Anyone Besides Me?
Apr 18, 2013

I have gotten to where if I apply for a job and it refers me right over to the testing process, I don't even take the test, I just back out of the application and don't bother.  I know I lose jobs, due to this, but that process is too irritating to me.  If I apply for a job and I receive a reply stating that they are interested in me and would like for me to test, THEN I don't mind testing.  I just cannot see randomly taking a test, typing 7 or 8 reports these days ...

Patient First MTs - What Was Your Hiring Process Like?
Jul 22, 2013

I completed the application process and the online testing about 4 weeks ago and, while the transcription test was very challenging, I felt I did well.  I know there's probably no point in sending an email to ask about the "status" of my application and test because they are quite capable of contacting me if they wanted to. Do they bother to contact applicants that didn't pass the test? (an email I'd hate to get, but at least there would be closure)   I've read the ...

Transtech Hiring Process
Jul 18, 2014

Can anyone shed some light ont heir hiring process.  I took their online test, I think, last week and have not heard whether I passed or failed.  If I failed, will they let me know- Thanks!!! ...

Potential Employers Interview Process
Mar 22, 2011

So I graduated in February and began the job hunt.  Finally I receive one call back from a local company. To date I have attended two seperate interviews. The second time I was supposed to test but the computer was not working so a couple of weeks later they schedule testing at one of the transcriptionist house.  I test and the computer freezes up.  Luckily the test is recovered the next day and sent to the boss for review.  Get another call today, and am told that ...

Med-Scribe In Jacksonville Hiring Process
Sep 04, 2011

Can anyone tell me what the hiring process is for Med-Scribe.  I filled out an application and took the written test online.  Do they send you the audio files or what is the next process?  TIA. ...

Nuance Testing Process Question
Mar 13, 2012

I applied to and tested for Nuance on Friday. Any idea how long it takes to hear back, one way or the other? TIA :-) ...

Information On How The CCS Exam Process Works
Mar 27, 2012

I'm looking for some information on how the CCS exam process works, i.e., how long is the exam, etc.  I understand you can bring your books, which books do they allow?  Thanks in advance. ...

Question About NJA Process. Cannot Find Information I Need To See.
Apr 22, 2013

I can find the policy about what to do if you have had 15 minutes of NJA. NJA instructions have been: If another job does not come up within 15 minutes, you can file an NJA slip through Remedy. But, if a job comes up within that 15-minute period, you are to do that job and the 15-minute wait time starts over again. -- In the first paragraph of the NJA policy. What most, if not everyone, have been told to do is to sign out whilst waiting for another job, and if a job comes up before th ...

Inscribe Application Process Is EXHAUSTING!
Jun 25, 2013

Wow, maybe it's just because I've been doing radiology for so long but just looking at the instructions for their testing and application process is EXHAUSTING! Is it just me? Anyone know how they are to work for? Is it worth all the pain? :) ...

Softscript - Testing And Interview Process?
Oct 15, 2014

Can anyone please tell me about the Softscript testing and interview process?   Is it that mttest one?  Is there an actual transcription/typing test (wondering if I need to dig out the footpedal)?  About how long is the interview and what sorts of questions will I be asked?  I am just trying to be completely prepared.  Thanks for any information. ...

Patient First Transcription - Finished The Application Process
Aug 29, 2013

Does anyone know how long it might take to hear back from Patient First regarding my application and typing test? I tested last week, haven't heard back and there is no way to follow up with anyone directly. When I log on to the career site, it just says that I have nothing further to do as I have already finished the application process. ...

Auditors - What's The Maximum Length Of A Report You Process?
Apr 15, 2014

When you're pulling reports to audit, how long is too long?   ...

Question For All MTs', Especially Trained By Mentoring Process And Did Your Time In The Trenche
Apr 29, 2010

Hi, I'm a former Acute Care Transcriptionist who has 12 years hospital, 2 years clinical experience including not cherry-picking and found out years later that their most experienced transcriptionist refused to do an account I was put on due to the ESL ratio.  They did try to make me feel like I was the one who was stoopid, etc..... aside from that....I retired from this profession to home-school my children full-time, be a wife and mother...hubby is very high maintenance.... Any ...

Can Someone Please Explain To Me The Process Of Figuring Out Your Line Count Rate? . . . .
May 18, 2010

I understand that the potential is there to maybe collect unemployment due to low, unavailable work with the Q.  I am curious as to how to figure my hourly rate with the Q to see if I am even making minimum rate in my state (which is $7.25/hour)  any one interested in explaining the process on how to figure this out?   Thanking one and all in advance. ...