A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Like so many of us, I need a job. After applying at a gazillon places over the last week (sm) - anon

Posted: Aug 16, 2010

I finally received an email earlier inviting me to test for a company.  It is a very well paid job also, however, with LOTS of ESL, so it is a trade off.  So, I am told to take the written portion of the test and IF I pass that then I MAY be invited to take the other part of the test.  OTHER part of the test?????  For petesake this part of the test is 10 pages long!!!

Well I decided to push forward and do the test, at least start it.  Now, please understand that I have worked for a multispecialty clinic for 18 years that has no idea what BOS is, I had never heard of it until three years ago when my department was "phased out."  (thank you very much)  In the three years that I have been "out" I have not worked for a company that applies BOS, just like the clinic that I worked for and the local hometown hospital that I worked for, everything is verbatim. 

Back to the test,  I make it through the first four pages, no problems whatsoever, completing a schedule (IC), answering questions about experience, then comes the "skills test."  Not even one-third of the way through this I finally stopped and quit and will not finish it.  I feel like I am in college taking a test again and I am questioning every thing that I put on this paper.  I am an excellent transcriptionist, have been told this by every employer that I have ever worked for, but this test, in my opinion, is almost demeaning.  If this company wants to know exactly what kind of a medical transcriptionist I am, then give me dictation to transcribe, not sit here and continually go over the same 86 questions and racking my brain, wondering if I am doing it correctly ... aka ... according to BOS.   

So, my question to my MT friends out there is this ..... is it like this at most companies when you test?  I have been doing this job for 25 years and have never been so intimidated in my life and what really gets me is this was stuff that I know that I know!!!!

Thanks so much for letting me vent!

sad aint it - threw my bos away

[ In Reply To ..]
The local hospital I work for DOES NOT care to follow BOS..type "2" or "two"..."restart" or "re-start"...they don't care. I hate that most MTSOs do follow BOS and I have to remember who I'm typing for at the moment.

Recycled MTs - Pam

[ In Reply To ..]
Probably a young upstart with no actual experience as a transcriptionist and has RHIT or RHIA degree. The fact is the golden rule, and that is "those that have the gold make the rules." BOS or not, if hospitals don't abide it, then neither do we. I wish AHDI would stop trying to change the things they have little control over and start helping us get a fair wage for our work, stop letting huge transcription giatns and MTSOs call us IC. We work with no benefits, and we have to pay our own taxes etc. I liken it to endentured slavery. I have not had a raise in 10 years and the industry rate is moving in the wrong direction. What is wrong with this picture? I for one am mad as he**. I still have bills to pay and I have to keep up with cost of living, but for some reason, my paycheck is not. I work longer hours, more lines, less pay. Hmm

small rant about BOS - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sorry about your experience. They truly want a lot of "style knowledge," such as q.4 h. NOT q.4h, IIIa or III-A NOT 3a or 3A, or in another case 3a NOT IIIa. It is all so arbitrary and yet it counts as "knowledge." I went to a hospital after many years at a clinic, where I did excellent work, and it was like starting at square 1. It wasn't just the new terminology and procedures (a lot of that though), it was learning "the book of style." T1 not T-1. T-1 not T1. T/1 not T1 or T-1. T-i not T/1, T1 or T-1. Aaaagh!! It made me just want to type "tea won" and let the doctor figure it out phonetically. Do not use a hyphen here. Always use a hyphen there. Capitalize after a colon-- no, don't capitalize. Double space-- no, single space. If a proper noun is used as a verb in a hyphenated form following the subject of a relative clause, in a sentence in which the dictator uses the passive voice, add a capital J at a random place anywhere in the sentence. Good grief. Honestly, our QA person was beset with questions from confused transcriptionists, "Should I put a hyphen here? Is this capitalized? Roman numeral here?" Even Emily Post said that manners should not become the tyrant of natural behavior. BOS is making "correctness" into the tyrant of a normal, colloquial, correct transcription style. I can see pharmacists and doctors getting rid of handwritten QID and q.4h, but when typed out, you can hardly mistake it for something else.

Sing it, sister! - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I've worked for two of the big nationals now (where I lasted a whole month at each place) and I felt like they were much more concerned with having the style issues be correct than they were content. I know I was so concerned about all of the style issues, I missed content.

Is it me or is some of the testing completely ridiculous??? - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Last test I forced myself to take asked the testing MT to decide if the sentence was complete or incomplete. Docs do not dictate in complete sentences usually and thought this made no sense. We type verbatim. If it is an incomplete sentence, ya type an incomplete sentence, so what is the purpose of me proving I know the difference between the two?

By the by, three emails from the company asking me to test, spent 4 hours testing including 5 voice files on a cruddy platform none of us will ever use again, emailed the company telling them I had completed the testing and the company didn't even have the courtesy to tell me if I passed, failed or didn't receive their test. That told me a lot about the company and their organization and communication practices so no need to try calling now. Got out of MTing - just too frustrating. Still come on here to check for PT jobs every now and again.

Robin, I love, love, love your comments on the forum. Keep 'em coming.

Tested out - and done!

[ In Reply To ..]
I too took so many tests and finally said no more. You practially have to be a pre-med student to pass. I was absolutely stunned at the questions, the time it took, the dictation part that took forever and then you get back, thanks but no thanks, you didn't cut it with us! I don't mind takeing a couple of dictation tests and perhaps a multiple choice on the spelling of words, but some were absolutely out of hand. I have no idea how you get on with these companies, but when I receive back an e-mail telling me to go to blah, blah and take their test, I delete it. I am working now, so I don't feel so desperate, but I was to the point where I wanted to contact them and say no you to your time consuming testing, that are impossible to pass. I would rather work for two days without pay to see how I can do, than go through those again and you will always get a response back from these companies, whether they are hiring or not and you could spend forever taking tests. There have been a multitude of posts regarding this issue and so many MTs have felt the same way and treated the same way with tons of experience, etc.

This is what really burns me. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I really liked your sentence when you said, "You practically have to be a pre-med student to pass." And that is exactly what it seems like sometimes. These companies test for highly skilled and experienced MTs that can pass these tests, but they want to offer WalMart wages. It's ridiculous. If they want skill and expertise, PAY FOR IT. Don't demean us with these 3- to 4-hour tests that we pass with flying colors and then offer 7 or 8 cpl or, worse yet, 3.5 or 4 for VR...and then tell us that's the industry standard.

Tested out - And done

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh yeah, that is another thing, what they want to pay. You are right. They expect the best and want to pay the least, which is a total slap in the face. At that rate, they should just hire you and give you a two week probation and it could also work for the MT, to see whether he/she wants to stay with that company. That is another gripe of mine (I have so many) :o), we go to work for these companies on good faith, expect to be paid, expect to have work, etc., expect to have a job, and it all falls through and you have to start up again. I am so mistrustful, you cannot even imagine. I am working as an IC, and I heard some negative things about this woman I am working for, in that, she doesn't pay on time. Has all kinds of excuses. Thank goodness I have another job, yes, we have to have two anymore, so if she starts dancing around me, I will tell her when I get paid, I will work. Again, how do they expect us to live? A friend of mine worked at Spheris and when they went bankrupt she got a notice in the mail about filing against them, if they owed you money. She said she wanted to sue them for the $50,000.00 she lost working for them over the past five years. I felt that said it all.

Then again, some MTs pass those tests without spending all day on them - We all have different skill levels

[ In Reply To ..]
It's like anything else in life, we all have different skills and abilities. To one person those tests might seem very difficult and someone else might just breeze through them. Of course those who breeze through them don't have to keep taking test after test, because they pass them and get job offers.

If I had to take tests in some other kind of work, I probably would be frustrated too, but these transcription tests are not very hard once you're prepared for them. That's the whole reason for them in the first place, to sort out those with a certain level of skills. Then they get to the personality and attitude part later with those who survived the skill testing. That's the way it is in any field where skills are involved.

Companies used to hire anyone and everyone - Times Change

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not like it used to be. They used to hire anyone with a pulse. I doubt that it will ever be that way again.

The sad thing is that a lot of people do not test well, they may be (sm) - anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
able to perform exceptionally well on the job but are horrible when it comes to taking a skills test. I have a daughter who is like that. She was always way ahead of everyone in school, her teachers asked us on many occasions to move her up two grade levels (which we did not thankfully) because she was so bored with the material on her level. However, when it came time to test, she would literally freeze up. She knew the materials inside and out, could sit and literally give you the answers as you went over the material with her but once she sat down in that chair, pencil in hand, test on her desk, she would freeze.

Thankfully though with the assistance of some really special teachers and friends she managed to overcome it but it took years. She went on to college to earn her Masters.

I can see how someone who has typed verbatim for years would have such a problem with a test where BOS is applied. While, in my opinion, verbatim is so much easier to do, also in my opinion, a well trained transcriptionist can lose some of their skills that they have obtained over the years on a verbatim account. Again, that is my opinion.
Excellent thoughts. I think most MTs have several accounts, some verbatim and others not - Just a note
[ In Reply To ..]
Everything is easier if you are familiar with the BOS. Even the accounts that don't officially go by it want everything done very close to it. The people I know who are having the most trouble are the ones who are trying to do MTs with no knowledge of any rules whatsoever. They get confused and upset by changes. The people who use BOS just take changes in stride, from what I've seen.

Test or not to test - PedalPushr

[ In Reply To ..]

January 2008 - hired on with then MDI-MD - No test just telephone interview.

August 2009 - hired on with IDS after MDI-MD merged w/Transcend - No test just telephone interview.

August 2010 - hired on with Edoc - no test just telephone interview.

Create a resume that best highlight your assets and experience; the companies will FIND YOU.   The probation period is THE TEST.  Money mouth

This has been MY experience.

Similar Messages:

Why Do These Places Hire?
Mar 26, 2013

I was laid off from a hospital in November and our boss gave us the name of your company, saying we would be hired on the spot. Why do these places continue to hire if there is no work?   ...

Best Places To Take Coding Classes?
Oct 08, 2010

What are some of the best places to take coding classes?  I want to make sure it is going to teach me and not leace me in the open.  THanks ...

Have To Make A Choice Between A Few Places...
Oct 11, 2010

Please email me privately about this.  It is best for all of us. I have a couple of offers on my table and I need advice about which to take. Global in Texas, GIS.  Transolutions.  Transform.  Transcend.  MD-IT in Colorado. I have no idea who to say yes to.  If they are employee and they have health insurance, what are the premiums?  How are they to work for?  Do you run out of work? Many thanks, ...

Good Places To Work From Home?
Jan 23, 2012

I am currently in the middle of applying for MedQuest. I am seeing bad things about it on here. I just graduated college with my associates degree in Medical Transcription, so where would be a few good places to apply to, to work from home?? ...

Mmodal Advertises In The Oddest Places!
Nov 29, 2012

HAHAHAHHA  This advertisment came up as I was trolling through PerezHilton.com site.  It SHOULD have read, "Hey Mmodal MT..GET BACK TO WORK!"  Now THAT would've been funny.  M*Modal® Transcription The Nation's Largest TranscriptionService Provider. Call M*Modal® Now transcription.MModal.com ...

HAPPY MT WEEK - Have A Great Week
May 17, 2010

To all you wonderful MTs working and slaving your lives away, Happy MT Week.  I appreciate you.  I appreciate your kindness when I have a rant or a rave, when I'm at my wits end with the constant changing around of clients, client profiles and the never ending dings being thrown at me. I appreciate knowing that I am not alone in this struggle. It is because of all of you, and only you MTs on this board that I manage to stay in this game.  We are treated as less than second class citiz ...

Anyone Planning On Actually Participating In MT Week Next Week?
May 14, 2014

. ...

Payday This Week (Thanksgiving Week)
Nov 24, 2014

Does anyone know when pay will be distributed this week? A big deal seemed to be made about getting payroll in quickly, so Im wondering if pay will be released before Thursday or if its just going to be Friday as usual. ...

At 99.4% This Week, Congratulated That I Improved Over Last Week.
Feb 13, 2015

Good grief. I did not change the way I edit. It so depends on how many commas they think you should have. Yes, I made an unusual (for me) mistake last week, but the rest of passing an audit is dumb luck of whether you get a realistic auditor or Ms English wannabe. Everybody must be under pressure because of the cesspool as I see a lot of mistakes when I look up past reports to help with these mush mouths and accents. The time czar wants schedule changes, but I see no problems with turna ...

Does Your PTO Rate Now Vary Week To Week?
Feb 20, 2015

Does it now vary from week to week?  I used to always know exactly what my PTO was and could calculate it but just noticed that it varied from one paycheck a couple of months back to this past week.  How is this now figured?  So confusing ...

Applying
Jun 16, 2011

How long do you have to wait before reapplying for a job at medquist? ...

Applying For Job
Jan 10, 2011

Okay, this is somewhat of a strange situation.  I have been looking for a job in the field that I was in prior to becoming an MT 11 years ago, which would be a full-time position with benefits.  Currently I am IC.  I had lost my previous job due to downsizing and the office/company that I worked for basically closed it's Wisconsin branch except for a handful of employees.  I just found out that one of the employees at this small Wisconsin branch of the company that I use ...

When Applying For A New MT Job...
Dec 27, 2013

...and taking a transcription test, is it wise to type verbatim even if there are errors or try to clean it up? I'm an older MT and haven't applied in a while. I'd just like to know an opinion out there. I'd hate to not get a job because I "cleaned" something up when I should not have done so. TIA. ...

After Applying For Jobs....
Oct 20, 2009

How long should I wait after applying for a job before following up? And what's the best way to followup? Also, I'd like to ask what caused them to overlook my resume if that's the case. BUT would that just make me even more of a pest and make them Black-ball me?! I HATE WAITING!!! Can you tell? :) ...

Question About Applying...
May 25, 2010

This question applies to anyone... Do you apply for an MT position even if they state they're not hiring newbies? If so, has it made a difference or is it a waste of time? Thanks! ...

Considering Applying With Q.E.D. Transcription
Sep 11, 2010

I am considering applying with Q.E.D. Transcription.  They seem to be a stable company to work for from what I've read.  Does anyone have any experience with them or input?  Any info appreciated!  Thanks. ...

Considering Applying To Diskriter
Nov 15, 2010

I am considering applying to Diskriter.  I just received an email with some questions.  I am wanting to know any info on the criminal background check.  I had some hot checks about 7-10 years ago and paid them off then, but am worried about this background check and also my credit is not that great.  Could someone please clue me in?  Also, do you need to take a picture of your desk/work area to work there?  I have a alcove in my bedroom where I do my work since I live in an apartment.  I ...

MME's... Is It Worth Applying For?
Feb 11, 2011

I'm curious about the MME certification/position.  Can anyone please give some honest insight as to what the difference in pay is, what the testing for the position is like, etc.  I would like to apply for the position in 2 months and would like to know what to expect.  Also, once you're an MME does that open up advancement opportunities into QA, CCM, etc.?  Any information would be appreciated.   ...

Done Applying For MT Jobs
Apr 10, 2012

I need to write this for my own sake. I can no longer apply or test for these company positions. I am being rejected in one way or another by all of them. I have done this for going on 30 years. I can't take it anymore. It is so very very painful to deal with this. I think in my heart I have given up finding any MT position or any job at this point in my life. All I do is get angry, cry, throw things. Very very depressed and I get from friends is either God has something special for ...

Applying To Talk To Amy?
Jul 27, 2012

Out of 4 slots how many of those do you think will be given to MTs?  I wish whoever is applying good luck. ...

Applying For Positions
Jul 21, 2013

Does anyone ever simply e-mail a resume to a company rather than completing the long, drawn out application they want filled out when you click the link to apply?  I have 30 years of experience and do not want to spend time filling in information about every job I have ever had and why I left, where I went to school, emergency contacts, etc on their application, only to never hear from the company and would prefer just to e-mail a resume with a cover letter.  Does anyone ever do this? ...

Thinking Of Applying To TTS
Jul 21, 2014

I'm assuming the competitive pay is probably 8/4.  But what are their benefits like; cost, coverage, etc.  Is the PTO decent?  I've seen mixed messages on here.  Some are really happy, some are not.  Any info appreciated.  TIA ...

Question About Applying For Job .....
Jan 21, 2015

Is anybody having trouble applying for jobs on here? I have applied to like 5 different ones and am getting emails saying my message was not delivered for some reason? Anybody else having problems?? Thanks in advance! ...

Be Very Careful When Applying To SoftScript
Dec 05, 2009

Be very careful when applying to SoftScript.  They have many openings but I have applied, when through the testing, got an interview, but they never called and when trying to find answers they never respond.  I would be very skeptical of working for a company like this.  I also checked a little into them and found out that I was not the first one that this has happened to, plus getting work can be a problem and keeping work can be a problem.  ...

When Applying For Job, Is The First Question You Are Asked Are You
Dec 07, 2009

Someone in post stating was trying to be certified but seems to me most want experience rather than certification. Which one most applies? ...

Transcend Worth Applying For?
Apr 12, 2010

I know I've read somewhere on the board about this company but can't remember where.  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm looking for steady PT evening work Sun thru Thurs (3-4 hours nightly).  More than experienced with over 25 years in the biz, university/acute care accounts, except radiology.  Thanks. ...

Burned Out On Job Applying, Testing Etc.
May 10, 2010

Are there NO decent places out there to work? Just when I see something that looks like what I am seeking and want to apply, all I see is negative posts.  I realize that everyone has their opinion and just because someone does not like it does not mean I would not etc. BUT, there are always more than one negative opinion, and all cases that I chose to ignore warnings, I walked right into the nightmare, just like they said I would. Seriously, is ANYONE happy where they work? Please tel ...

Questions Before Applying At Medquist
May 13, 2010

I need to cut my hours and my present employer won't let me. I can only work about 30 hours a week. I have several years of experience on DQS and am decent on DQS ASR. Does anyone know if Medquist hires for part-time, are there are any benefits for part-timers, and what are the schedules like? Do I get to set my schedule or do they? Any info is appreciated. Thanks! ...

Interested In Applying At Keystrokes
Jun 09, 2010

Hi there, I'm interested in applying at Keystrokes.  Does anyone know what the current f/t requirement is?  I see they are hiring only FT right now.  Is this according to line count or a set schedule.  Thanks for any info!     ...

MD-IT After Applying And Testing With Them Recently?
Aug 10, 2010

Curious if anyone has heard back from MD-IT after applying and testing with them recently?  TIA. ...