A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CLASS ACTION SUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!! BREAKING NEWS!!! - Boosted Mom

Posted: May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed!

Boosted Mom is Back! - You go girl!

[ In Reply To ..]
So glad to hear from you again! And thanks for your efforts!

Bring it on! - BadNana

[ In Reply To ..]
Awesome news. Hopefully more to follow.

Transcend class action - Is there any info anywhere

[ In Reply To ..]
That we can review regarding the lawsuit? When was it filed? Thanks foir your info!

info - wiseoldwoman

[ In Reply To ..]
www.ilnd.uscourts.gov

Page 2

wiseoldwoman - THANK YOU!

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

it checks out - north illinois district court - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
phenomenal!!!!!
I read the entire thing, and it made my day! - Requesting a jury was a smart move, too.
[ In Reply To ..]
I hope the courts slaps Transcend's hands royally. I also hope the attorneys filing that suit take a good long look at the entire industry. They're ALL breaking the friggin law and getting away with it! My own, included! I'd love to see them ALL taken down a notch or two by having to start abiding by US labor laws, instead of thumbing their noses at them.

That law firm could take on most of the large MTSOs in this country, and WIN. They'd make so much money, they could probably all retire after that.

Which of us HASN'T been told to trim our time cards to match the 40-hr-week requirement? And we're all doing unpaid work every single day. No pay for spaces, no pay for titles, no pay for researching and proofing, even though they're on us every day of the week to do more of that, too.

I agree that they should be forced to return to hourly compensation, instead of the ridiculous piecework scheme they've been running for so many years.
Other MTSOs - wiseoldwoman
[ In Reply To ..]
This law firm "gets it" as far as our industry, and they are hoping other MLS's from other companies contact them with similar problems -- they are ready, willing, and able to file more suits.

?? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, am I the only one that can't find it???? Thanks!
?? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Found it! WoW, way to go ladies!!!!! It may be too late at this stage in my career, but hopefully, it will help others.
Using the link that was provided, paste it - into your browser instead of - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Googling it. Up near the top left hand side of the page, under "Tools and Information", click on "Listing of Recently Filed Cases". Then, at the bottom right of that list, click on "next" to go to page 2. At the top of the page you will see "T____ C____ vs. Transcend". Click on the case number to the left of it, and that will open the information on the suit.

GOOD - betty

[ In Reply To ..]
Geeez, why am I not surprised?!!!

The only thing that surprises me is that M*Modal - has (so far) dodged that bullet! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

What makes you think they have? When they were - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
MQ, they got sued.
But they've "rebranded"! They are now - "someone else", with same practices.
[ In Reply To ..]
Just because they were sued once, doesn't mean they can't be sued again.

When I say they dodged a bullet, I meant that they somehow escaped this particular suit. And who knows - this particular case could grow to involve multiple companies.

Oh happy day! - O happy day! nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I had just come on the board to suggest a class-action suit. - Very timely!

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been researching California labor law in particular, and it's quite likely that most MTSOs are in violation of CA labor law with respect to compensation. I'm sure that this would also be true in certain other states.

I have requested a consultation with a bulldog labor law attorney who specializes in filing class actions of this type, and will post more after that.

Last night, while I was doing the *most* difficult work we can do, correcting the VR of an ESL dictator who was simply awful (and I am highly experienced with ESLs) on a 26-minute dictation, I was being paid the LEAST because my line count sank to less than 100 lph for that labor.

This whole thing stinks, people, and even some of you passivist people need to get up on your feet and support those of us who are trying to improve the situation for YOU as well as ourselves. Don't be one of those disgusting people who let other people do the fighting for them.

Bravo! - Boosted Mom

[ In Reply To ..]
Well said. I live in CA as well, and about 3 months after Transcend took over the company I worked for, I was told I couldn't work more than 8 hours in a day nor 7 days straight. Well, I was a TL and of course I worked more than 8 hours a day!

This will hit Nuance too then. - Just acquired Transcend.

[ In Reply To ..]
Translation: BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Let's face it. None of us are paid what we are worth. - Doing the happy dance

[ In Reply To ..]
We should be paid hourly, compensated for all of our knowledge commensurate with years of experience, familiarity with ESL, work types, AND credentialed or not. We should then get an additional incentive rate based on production. When this industry, including those who were supposed to be representing us, AHDI formerly known as AAMT, allowed the companies to decide that we should be paid for only what we produce, that is when things started declining. I still like this type of work. I like the challenge of learning new things daily. I just think it is about time we got what we deserve.

Me too! - I am actually dancing

[ In Reply To ..]
around the house and singing.

BRAVO! BRAVISSIMO!!!! - AWESOME NEWS!!!! NM

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll be praying that they win their case, and that it sets a huge precedent in the MT business! Enough greed! No more dishonesty! It's time for them to stop treating the very workers who make their business even exist, like nothing but a bunch of expendable insects.

wtg Boosted!!!! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so happy that 13 of you have banded together to do this!! I wanted to let everyone who is on FB know you can go to MT Tools to see a comment and more info about it, and you can share or like that link to spread the word more, and also the lawyer is not allowed to solicit for more clients BUT anyone esle who feels they have suffered the same should contact him. Good luck to you and we are behind you!!

Are they only suing Transcend, or are they - going after other companies, as well?

[ In Reply To ..]
One can always hope!

The larger issue is.... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
not simply, uncompensated work that CAUSES one to work overtime or get paid less than minimum wage - but the FACT OF uncompensated work. I'll have to read through the .pdf file again - but I wonder what the legal argument is as far as not being compensated, independent of hours worked.

I calculated for reading emails from company, getting paid half a cent a line - 65 characters in a line WITHIN EMAILS - also, all the character inputted for anything ELSE - i.e., cc's...that's in my complaint. If we get paid per 65 characters - then I want to get paid FOR ALL 65-character "units" I process for a company.

CONTACT THE LAWYERS! - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, the lawyers are interested in hearing from MTs who worked for other companies. Contact them, as they cannot solicit MT clients. The statute of limitations is 3 years, so this applies to any MTSO that you have worked for within that time. I believe the name of the lawyer is included in the complaint which is posted at
http://www.ilnd.uscourts.gov/RecentlyFiledCase.aspx
#12cv3627.

ALSO, - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Any complaint related to wage and hour is worthy of a lawsuit. This includes not being paid minimum wage for all hours worked as an employee, and also includes situations where you were called an IC, but treated as an employee with strict schedules, etc. Again, the statute of limitations is 3 years.

lawyer's contact into - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is the website for the lawyer with all of their contact info:
http://www.missouriemploymentlawattorney.com/Labor-and-Employment-Law-Blog/2012/May/Medical-Transcriptionist-Unpaid-Wage-and-Overtim.aspx

Also, go to http://mttoolsonline.com/ for a great blog about this, and you can share it on FB and comment, and you can also click on the link for the lawyer from here.

This is a great day!! I am so thrilled that 13 brave women documented and are bringing light to this!! Thanks to you!!!

One has to wonder if Nuance is/was aware this is a - common occurrence at Transcend and

[ In Reply To ..]
how this is going to impact on their merger now. Let's face it, many MLS at Transcend actually "embrace" the flexibility to be able to hop on and add additional lines (a LOT of companies do not allow this outside of the timeclock) to either meet their min requirement or boost their counts. With this taken away, how many Transcend MLS are going to run for the door now (knowing the "flexibility" option is obviously going to be over)or will be terminated for not meeting company required minimum counts? The latter obviously would open a whole other can of worms as someone who has been employed for possibly years suddenly being told they don't meet company required minimum. How can they (Transcend) logically explain that one suddenly?

Nuance has acquired all these accounts but with nobody to type them, now what? Just saying ...

"flexibility" - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I hear what you are saying, but the BIG issue here is that this "flexibility" and being expected to work your fingers to the bone was NEVER the rule before SR and the draconian pay cuts and undervaluing of MTs. I used to take my time and proofread everything and I would go to the bathroom without worrying that I was "on the clock" and I made MORE money. Something has to give, and NOT the expectation that we will work 10 to 12 hours in order to make a barely subsistence level of living!!

I like productio pay - but think the downtime needs

[ In Reply To ..]
brought back. I like the production because you're not locked into an hourly rate, determined by an "average" of what others do. If I want to make $ 30.00/hour based on my production, without being dependent on someone else's STATs, I should be able to do so. There will always be higher produces and lower producers, hard workers and those that do not work as hard or consistent (like the one on this board that complained she was mad because her TL did not want her "napping" during her scheduled work time). I do think they should bring back the down time rates we used to get paid for research, emails, nonproductive work, etc.
agree about production pay...but.... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I have always been on production pay and have worked in this field almost 30 years now. I like that I can work extra hard and be compensated for it, that I can add macros and shorts that will translate into more money. The HUGE issue here though is the drop in pay over the years so that I am easily working twice as hard for LESS than I made!! Also, the devaluaton of our job, Nuance advertises on their Indian job site that "no special education is required" and they are just reading the report and making a few edits!! It takes years to learn this trade, and I for one learn at least 1 new thing a day (often more).
How about hourly pay based on merit, cost of - living, and experience? S/M
[ In Reply To ..]
Or a FAIR hourly wage, with tiered bonuses for different levels of production? How about wage increases based on lengt of employment? Some of us have been with the same company for anywhere from 5-10 years, and haven't seen a dime of pay increases.

"Production pay" was realistic back in the days of Correcting Selectrics or simpler word processing programs. But look at all the BUILT-IN ROADBLOCKS that exist in these companies' software! They want us to work "faster and smarter", yet their DUMB, CLUNKY programs make that impossible. We often spend more time wading through the demographic input, or pondering the mysteries of all these ridiculously intricate job specifications, than we do actually typing. And yet they want to pay us ONLY for "hands-on-keyboard time"? Uh-uh. We're not gonna take that c**p anymore!

Oh absolutely agree. I guess I was just wondering - how all of this and the current Transcend

[ In Reply To ..]
method of operating is going to impact Nuance's takeover. Nuance uses an actual timeclock so if you're typing/working, you're on the actual clock. Is Nuance aware they are inheriting basically sweat shop workers and with the practice ("flexibility") most likely ending shortly, how this is going to impact all the Transcend alleged happy customers?

If Transcend is essentially basically under the Nuance umbrella right this moment and as recent as last night being encouraged to "hop on and type extra," which we all know means not overtime, just type, is this now a Nuance approved policy since it's still business as usual under their name?

It will be interesting how it plays out, that's for sure.

Don't work there, but... - Anonymous One

[ In Reply To ..]
If these companies managed their work flow and staffing properly, MTs should be able to work their shifts without having to flex and should not have trouble making their minimum lines. When people do a lot of flexing, even because they are forced to, it does affect the work flow and must be confusing for management, not knowing who is working, and when. "Jumping on the system" at odd hours to pad one's line count takes work away from others who consistently work a schedule.

The "flexibility" to try to meet min. lines and - do enough to eke out a living - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
wouldn't be needed if they:
a - Paid a fair wage, preferably hourly, with production bonuses.

b - Didn't over-hire just to produce a ridiculously short TAT. If they had to be able to provide work for their employees to do, instead of them having sit around waiting for it, maybe they'd have to have a little more of a backbone when it came to realistic TATs they quote their clients.

NUANCE DOES THE SAME - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
It was my experience that Nuance does the same stuff as far as requiring you to flex time in order to get lines and keep checking the queue. So, they will not be surprised at anything Transcend does, IMHO.

Hate to break it to you, but - destinyisntfree

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance is just as guilty of the same offenses, or at least they were just a couple of years ago when I worked there. I don't know if things have changed now, but I do know that QC has moved to an hourly pay, and in my opinion, less than 20 an hour for QC is appalling, because it requires a much higher skill set. I can list on one hand the companies I have dealt with who were not guilty of this.

suit - me

[ In Reply To ..]
As an hourly employee you are required to sit there your entire shift and watch for work, but if you don't meet the minimum standards, your pay is cut to meet your production and although this is illegal, people are afraid to report it and lose their jobs.

Similar Messages:

BREAKING NEWS!!! CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Transcend
May 12, 2012

Anyone who works for Transcend now or in the last three years needs to check this out. This is the real deal.  For all of us who haven't made minimum wage or were refused overtime pay, you may be able to get in on this. ...

Excellent Blog Post On MT Wages (and Transcend Class-action Suit)
May 21, 2012

http://mtanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/05/transcriptionists-file-class-action.html   ...

How Do You Get A Class Action Suit
May 20, 2013

Sorry - awhile back thought I was going to lose my job.  I am so fed up with they keep lying to us about our pay, etc, - well I am cornerstone - saw someome on here the other day -usually do not see Cornerstone- anyway - I just emailed Shaw or whatever his name is - Amay's second hand guy - kind of scared but at the same time feel empowered ...

* Class Action Suit Against IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

..has been discussed. I highly, highly suggest IMEDX does the right thing, or some money grubbin attorney will be glad to take on not on IMEDX's obvious and blatant playing with lives, but also the whole industry. Imedx is ripe for lawsuits, and they have deep pockets. Suits, wake up, we have nothing to lose now but a consult with an attorney. You clearly have and are going to continue to violate laws, now do the right thing. Also, you don't want to the Labor Board, etc involved from 5 ...

Transcend Class Action Lawsuit
Jan 29, 2014

Does anyone have any idea how the above lawsuit is progressing.  I received an e-mail a few months ago, informing us Transcend had not compiled all the necessary discovery and they had a second hearing late last year.  Maybe one of the original 13 or so plaintiffs has some information ? Thanking you in advance.   ...

Transcend And Class Action Lawsuit
Aug 01, 2014

Does anyone have any information regarding the above-mentioned lawsuit, plaintiffs v. Transcend? ...

Has Anyone Heard The Status On The Class Action Lawsuit Against Transcend?
Jan 04, 2013

I haven't been to the boards for quite a while, but I was just googling to find out a current phone number for Transcend to put on a resume, and I saw about the lawsuit. What's going on with this?  Does anyone know? ...

MTSOs: Breaking News!
Jun 25, 2013

It takes longer to edit a report than to transcribe it!  I have been keeping track of the time it takes using the process below. So, paying half the line count is just an excuse used. There is no truth to the statement that we can edit twice as fast, and your time clock production data shows this.  In the past two days I have doubled my production with straight transcription over editing.   EDITING PROCESS: Delete extraneous text that was not dictated. Correct font, point size ...

BREAKING NEWS!! NO MORE PTO FOR PT Employees
Sep 10, 2013

No more PTO for part time employees as of October of this year.  This SUCKS!!! ...

Where Is The Class Action Lawyer?
Mar 03, 2010

There ought to be class action lawyers lined around the block to represent us!!! ...

Class Action Lawsuit?
Apr 08, 2013

Wondering how/if all of us who work for MModal can start a class action lawsuit against them?  What for you ask?  Oh gee......lying to us, taking our work away from us, saying they'll pay a certain amount but really do not, bad TSMs.....etc, etc.  What all those are called in legal terms, I have no idea.  I am 60 years old and not close to retirement age yet.....Michigan does not allow part time UE, so what the heck am I going to do for a living for the next 2 years?&nbs ...

Class Action Suits. All The Comments Below That Nothing
Apr 05, 2014

can be done. That is SO NOT true, and I hate to state the obvious, the elephant in OUR room here, that its likely management trolls.  The law firm listed below is fantastic.  And class actions work where 1 or 2 Plaintiffs step up and its converted to a class action for all employees. That's where ya sit back, don't have to do squat, the pros go over payroll and you get compensated if wages are calculated to be do you. Its simple, NOT some big drama fest.  This IS America ...

Class Action Lawsuit MModal
May 10, 2014

Anyone know about any class action lawsuit by employees in terms of MModal? ...

Can We File A Class Action Disability Claim
Mar 03, 2010

I am feeling a little shell-shocked.   ...

Aetna Insurance Class Action Lawsuit ???
Dec 20, 2013

Yesterday I received papers regarding a lawsuit against Aetna.  Has anyone else received such papers?  Thanks ...

Class Action Lawsuit/Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops
Feb 18, 2011

Anybody who in interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops please contact. I have spoken with several different agencies as I am sure most of you have and this seems to be the best route to take.  Frankly, I do not care if I personally ever see a dime out of this man, I just want to see him have to pay for his fraudulent business practices. ...

Class Action Lawsuits Against VR Cancers Would Start To Turn The Tide....
Jul 04, 2012

Many continue spinning their wheels in misdirected anger at the MTSOs who are the secondary byproducts/bottom feeders of the much larger metastatic VR software giants currently monopolizing this industry. Start hacking at the heads of the snakes & the tide will start to turn for MTs.  This below was posted on another thread and the first suggestion is spot on.    4cpl - Roda Posted: Jul 3rd, 2012 - 1:00 pm In Reply to: The abuse won't stop - Until we ...

Transcend Law Suit
May 12, 2012

I have been reading Steve Jobs' bio -- the more I read, the more I like who he was, what he stood for.  Anyhow, this just STRUCK me -- from the ad campaign when Jobs returned to Apple, written, in part, by him:"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify ...

Transcend/MDI News?
Nov 04, 2009

Does anyone know if there is another conference call scheduled soon?  I have not received notification, but it seems there should have been another scheduled for today if they are still doing the every-other-week thing as the last one was 2 weeks ago today.  Also, didn't they say packets would be distributed the first week of November?  ...

Transcend And Exciting News
Mar 20, 2012

Well, now I am equating "exciting" with doom and gloom.  First they knocked the pegs out of under me (us) and sold the company to Nuance.  Now the account that I was told would probably NEVER go to speech recognition, is doing just that.  I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach.  Don't know how much longer I will ride this wave.  Lord come quickly. ...

Capitalization - Los Angeles Class/Class A esophagitis
Dec 17, 2012

Los Angeles class/Class A esophagitis. Is "class" capped or no?   Thank you. ...

Transolutions--applied And Tested--no News Good News? Anyone Else Heard? Nm
Mar 10, 2011

nm ...

Breaking In
Jul 30, 2010

Due to shrinking transcription work possibilities (that's an understatement), I was thinking of going back to school to become certified in some kind of hands-on patient care program-- ultrasound, LPN, RN, even CNA. I live in an area with a heavy concentration of medical facilities, and there is always a high demand for new hires. The problem is: The local community colleges cannot keep up with the demand for education. To get into ANY kind of patient care program, you have to already ...

Breaking Into VR
Sep 01, 2010

Looking to break into VR Editing.  Can anybody give me any tips?  What companies hire for this.  I am a 52-yo medical transcriptionist with 20+ years experience and I am in the need of something different.  I am looking for a parttime position.  Two friends gave me two different leads, but I see one had massive lay-offs today and the other wants experienced VR Editors only.  Any tips will be greatly appreciated:) ...

Breaking Jobs
Dec 07, 2009

I always thought it was ok to break a job if I had to leave the computer due to some crisis at home.  If I'm working on a job and I've got to jump off the computer and don't know how long I'll be I break the job I'm working on, sign off, and when I sign back on it eventually does come back to me.  Is this wrong?  (Guess it is, from what I gather from comments on this board about cherry picking and being penalized for breaking jobs and what have you).  ...

Breaking Contract/suing
Apr 03, 2012

I'm working for a small company and upon initial hire, I signed a contract stating I need to give 14 days notice if I quit. Can they sue me for breaking the contract if I don't give notice? I've had something come up where I'm not able to work for them any longer and 14 days notice is just not feasible for me. ...

Class 2 Or Class II Tuberculosis (nm)
Dec 30, 2010

x ...

Rules On Abandoning Or Breaking From Jobs??
Feb 23, 2010

Does anyone know the rules on how many jobs you're allowed to abandon or break from??  Thanks. ...

Do You Think This Is From A Suit?
Mar 03, 2010

Don't know what all the fuss is about. If you do your job well, right the first time, you've got no worries. I don't foresee that this will be interfering with me whatsoever! If you want to survive in this business (and I assume that most posters do as they continue to work in this industry) then you have to go with the flow. If this process eliminates weak transcriptionists, then so be it.   THIS MAKES ME MAD READING THIS POST.  So, MQ's process is to elimini ...