A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Class Action Lawsuits Against VR Cancers would start to turn the tide.... - in favor of proportionate wages for MTs again...sm

Posted: Jul 04, 2012

Many continue spinning their wheels in misdirected anger at the MTSOs who are the secondary byproducts/bottom feeders of the much larger metastatic VR software giants currently monopolizing this industry. Start hacking at the heads of the snakes & the tide will start to turn for MTs.  This below was posted on another thread and the first suggestion is spot on.   

4cpl - Roda

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2012 - 1:00 pm In Reply to: The abuse won't stop - Until we make it stop

there is a way to start the end of all of this poor pay and disrespect for our expertise. In fact, there are several ways we all can go. First, there are class action suits against the Speech Recognition companys and/or hospitals involved. Second, is direct communication with physicians/PAs and associations, as well as healthcare regulators. Third, which is why were all so scared, is taking on our own employer with a suit. Another is the IRS, where some of our wages are in direct violation of wages/salary requirements and regulations. Fourth, are state regulations on wages. Fifth, is healthcare regulations that govern the existing or potential and dangerous practices that impact patient care. I am willing to organize such a class action suit and interview/consult with attorneys to see what they have to say and can do, then get back to you. However, I will only do this if enough of you respond with integrety and good intentions. We do not have to wait for our representative organizations to pat and plea their way through the complicated delicate political system. You may respond at any time, I am here and waiting. 

Lawsuit against SR - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see how this would work. That's like suing the company that makes self-checkout stands. New technology is not illegal, even if it puts people out of work. I hate VR, but I don't see how it is any different than many of the advances made in the last century.

The problem is, VR doesn't work! They still need - skilled MTs to clean up the mess. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The problem is, although it requires the same amount, or more, MT skill to edit VR, the companies are taking advantage by trying to convince us, the MTSOs, and the hospitals that we'll be 3 times more productive on VR. It's BS to the max.

If you could sue people for BS - On Site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We'd all in in a lot of trouble.

VR doesn't work? - - - nonsense!!! - FriendlyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked 14 years in-house for a hospital, the last 5 to 6 years was spent on VR. Voice Recognition does work, if done properly. There will always be those select "few" dictators who do not qualify for VR due to their slurs or being impossibly fast talking, or the terrible ESL that they are, but that is a low percentage. I'm talking 5%. The other 95% worked beautifully with VR, because it was used properly. It was Dictaphone ExText.

It learns from both the dictator and the transcriptionist, that is until other transcriptionist(s) who are not as skilled comes along and messes it all up (think India).

Eventually, if more dictation goes out to India, the VR is going to go down the tubes also. Offshoring to India is the worse thing that could ever happen to the United States medical field.

I'm with the other poster here who commented on the privacy of our medical records being sent to a totally different nation outside of our own. I hear on the news at least weekly about "Made in America" and how we should be doing more of that. What about our moms and dads, grandparents, children, brothers, and sisters? Are their medical records not worth being correct and properly done?

I am in the process of writing a letter to President Obama. I will copy the governor of my state. I want to go straight to the top. If enough of us do this, maybe it will shed some light of attention on MTSO's and outsourcing. Maybe it will save our jobs, or maybe it won't, but I cannot sit back and do nothing.

This has gone on too long.

good point. sm - sadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Typewriter companies didn't sue the computer industry. Buggy makers didn't sue the car companies. As for self-checkouts, I refuse to use them because they are costing people jobs. If people would refuse to use them, they would go away.

As for our industry, I really don't know what's going to happen. I will not work for minimum wage because I know I'm worth more. If people would stop accepting jobs paying 3-4 cpl for VR (when we know the work is just as hard as straight typing) then those companies will have to adjust their wages or accept poor quality. Remember the saying, you get what you pay for.

I agree. It starts with us saying NO to low CPL rates - but we have to be united in it. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
I hear dat! - hypertyper
[ In Reply To ..]
Am sending you an email.

Bad idea - On site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sue the IRS? Good luck with that. The speech recognition companies and hospitals have done nothing wrong, what are your grounds for taking legal action? The MTSOs are the ones who lowered the line rates, that needs to be addressed on a case by case basis. Consult an attorney if you want and good luck. I'm ambivalent but I'd like to hear what they would have to say.

She didn't say sue the IRS. SR companies have - misrepresented their product. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Im game for anything,,,when you make 10Kless than - 10 yrs ago there is a problem

[ In Reply To ..]
What do I have to do to help out..I tried years ago to rally the transcriptionists against offshoring and didnt get enough response..Truthfully I still would like to tackle that issue and am willing to help on my time..But we need several from each state to organize campaigns to the legislatures..Based on giving US citizens private information to a possible enemy of the US..ie, violation of homeland security..

SR platform (software) customers would have to sue . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Stop looking for someone to sue. We don't have any standing to sue the SR companies. We don't have any standing to sue clients.

And most of us don't have any standing to sue our employers either! For instance, did anyone PROMISE that you WOULD earn any certain amount, or that you WOULD double your transcribed line rate with SR, or anything like that? NO, of course they didn't! If they said anything about this at all, they used words like "SHOULD be able to..." or weasel language like that. And even that, I can almost guarantee you, was nothing more than what the law would consider to be a verbal opinion, not a binding agreement.

And have any of you considered what a crude tool a lawsuit is, anyway? If you started a lawsuit today AND if by some miracle it wasn't tossed out of court almost immediately, are you ready to spend time giving depositions, attending hearings where nothing much happens except delaying the next hearing for six months, etc., etc.?

If you've ever sued someone - and especially someone who has money to spend on lawyers - you know what I'm talking about. And if you haven't, you're living in a fantasy where you trip lightly into court, bat your eyes at Hizoner and he bellows "Defendant will pay this po' li'l ol' gal 5 million dollahs!", whereupon defendant pulls out a checkbook and coughs up the dough.

After about 3 years, Hizoner would (if you prevail) tell the defendant to pay you about 3 cents, and defendant would appeal the judgment. Your descendants would finally collect the 3 cents plus 14 cents accumulated interest.

A JOB ACTION IS THE ONLY - I REPEAT, THE ONLY FEASIBLE COURSE TO TAKE.

Similar Messages:

Waiting For The Lawsuits To Start
Sep 28, 2012

I'm no longer an MT, but I wanted to share this with everyone to maybe brighten someone's day.  I was talking to a client the other day who is being treated for cancer.  We got to visiting and I told her I used to be a transcriptionist.  She mentioned she obtained copies of her medical record and it was full of mistakes!  Wrong meds, incorrect anatomy, etc.  Apparently the doc tried to blame an MT.  Come to find out an MT had never typed, seen, or edited t ...

Where Is The Class Action Lawyer?
Mar 03, 2010

There ought to be class action lawyers lined around the block to represent us!!! ...

Class Action Lawsuit?
Apr 08, 2013

Wondering how/if all of us who work for MModal can start a class action lawsuit against them?  What for you ask?  Oh gee......lying to us, taking our work away from us, saying they'll pay a certain amount but really do not, bad TSMs.....etc, etc.  What all those are called in legal terms, I have no idea.  I am 60 years old and not close to retirement age yet.....Michigan does not allow part time UE, so what the heck am I going to do for a living for the next 2 years?&nbs ...

How Do You Get A Class Action Suit
May 20, 2013

Sorry - awhile back thought I was going to lose my job.  I am so fed up with they keep lying to us about our pay, etc, - well I am cornerstone - saw someome on here the other day -usually do not see Cornerstone- anyway - I just emailed Shaw or whatever his name is - Amay's second hand guy - kind of scared but at the same time feel empowered ...

Transcend Class Action Lawsuit
Jan 29, 2014

Does anyone have any idea how the above lawsuit is progressing.  I received an e-mail a few months ago, informing us Transcend had not compiled all the necessary discovery and they had a second hearing late last year.  Maybe one of the original 13 or so plaintiffs has some information ? Thanking you in advance.   ...

Class Action Suits. All The Comments Below That Nothing
Apr 05, 2014

can be done. That is SO NOT true, and I hate to state the obvious, the elephant in OUR room here, that its likely management trolls.  The law firm listed below is fantastic.  And class actions work where 1 or 2 Plaintiffs step up and its converted to a class action for all employees. That's where ya sit back, don't have to do squat, the pros go over payroll and you get compensated if wages are calculated to be do you. Its simple, NOT some big drama fest.  This IS America ...

Class Action Lawsuit MModal
May 10, 2014

Anyone know about any class action lawsuit by employees in terms of MModal? ...

Transcend And Class Action Lawsuit
Aug 01, 2014

Does anyone have any information regarding the above-mentioned lawsuit, plaintiffs v. Transcend? ...

* Class Action Suit Against IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

..has been discussed. I highly, highly suggest IMEDX does the right thing, or some money grubbin attorney will be glad to take on not on IMEDX's obvious and blatant playing with lives, but also the whole industry. Imedx is ripe for lawsuits, and they have deep pockets. Suits, wake up, we have nothing to lose now but a consult with an attorney. You clearly have and are going to continue to violate laws, now do the right thing. Also, you don't want to the Labor Board, etc involved from 5 ...

Can We File A Class Action Disability Claim
Mar 03, 2010

I am feeling a little shell-shocked.   ...

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Transcend
May 12, 2012

Anyone who works for Transcend now or in the last three years needs to check this out. This is the real deal.  For all of us who haven't made minimum wage or were refused overtime pay, you may be able to get in on this. ...

Aetna Insurance Class Action Lawsuit ???
Dec 20, 2013

Yesterday I received papers regarding a lawsuit against Aetna.  Has anyone else received such papers?  Thanks ...

Has Anyone Heard The Status On The Class Action Lawsuit Against Transcend?
Jan 04, 2013

I haven't been to the boards for quite a while, but I was just googling to find out a current phone number for Transcend to put on a resume, and I saw about the lawsuit. What's going on with this?  Does anyone know? ...

Class Action Lawsuit/Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops
Feb 18, 2011

Anybody who in interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops please contact. I have spoken with several different agencies as I am sure most of you have and this seems to be the best route to take.  Frankly, I do not care if I personally ever see a dime out of this man, I just want to see him have to pay for his fraudulent business practices. ...

CLASS ACTION SUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

BREAKING NEWS!!! CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

Excellent Blog Post On MT Wages (and Transcend Class-action Suit)
May 21, 2012

http://mtanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/05/transcriptionists-file-class-action.html   ...

Capitalization - Los Angeles Class/Class A esophagitis
Dec 17, 2012

Los Angeles class/Class A esophagitis. Is "class" capped or no?   Thank you. ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits
Aug 24, 2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2012cv05571/271621/   Found this on a Google search.  Is this old news?  It doesn't seem as though you can get any information about it anywhere. ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits, What Happened To The One That
Jun 18, 2011

nm ...

All Talk About Lawsuits Cause Of VR Crap In Jobs. But Does Anyone
Sep 01, 2012

I havent seen any real evidence of a lawsuit brought on by bad VR (is there any other kind?)  I dont think anyone even cares enough to bring a lawsuit. ...

Precyse Lawsuits? Someone Mentioned "wait
Nov 28, 2012

until the lawsuits hit."  What lawsuits?  I'd love to get in on one of them..... ...

Class 2 Or Class II Tuberculosis (nm)
Dec 30, 2010

x ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

My Start Menu Is Sideways And My Desk Top Is Sieways As Well And The Start Menu Is In The Upper Righ
Aug 12, 2013

My start menu is in the upper right hand corner and the desk top is on the side.  How can I fix it? ...

Nothing New To Say, Just My Turn To Say It.
Nov 08, 2014

I managed to hang onto a direct-employee remote position for many years; that position ended recently.  I knew the day would come--I've been outsourced from more than one facility in the past--but I decided to hang in as long as the job was there, and it lasted far longer than I ever thought it would. From time to time I'd think I should start preparing for the inevitable but had no clue which way to go, with outsourcing impacting so many industries and my having n ...

So, It Must Be My Turn To Get Fired
Jun 10, 2010

I have been targeted like crazy on audits, getting them every couple of days, and albeit there are some things I did wrong (had/has), I am getting marked for stuff like leaving a blank, sending to QA, and then marked wrong for the blank on a critical error saying I should have been able to find this.  I could not hear it, so how could I find it?  I should have just sent it to the client, but really felt that a fresh set of ears might heart what this mushmouth was saying. I guess I am ...

Headings Can We Turn It Off ?
Nov 02, 2010

Do we have to use this new heading feature or can we turn it o ff?  Thanks. ...

Stedmans - How To Turn It On?
Feb 09, 2012

I just installed spell checker. How do I turn it on? Can it be put on favorite bar or will it automatically spell check everything I do on the computer? Please help, new MT. ...

Can Some One Help Me Turn Off The Red Box In EditScript?
May 30, 2012

I have IM'd and E-mailed tech support and, surprise, no response from them.  I am in EditScript.  With the VR reports, the red box that follows the text... I find it very distracting.  I can't figure out how to get rid of it.  Anyone?  Thanks.   ...