A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Don't be afraid to stand up for yourselves... - anon

Posted: Dec 30, 2009

What has happened to us as an MT community.  Whenever someone speaks up with anything negative (but factual) about this so-called profession, there is always someone there to belittle the person, or give the old (my personal favorite) just shut up, take it, and LOVE it attitude. 

We have absolutely NO  POWER left whatsoever? Is this true? Can this be  -  in our great country - are we just lying down and accepting all that is happening. We are allowing ourselves to go back in time and become abused and treated like less than human beings, before all the labor laws came into place?

Where are the Norma Rae's and Thomas Paine's.  Even Jesus was a revolutionary against Rome.  He fought (nonviolently) for equality and social justice.  Geeze we are all becoming a bunch of sissys.  I am including myself as well because many times I have had to hold my tongue because working 'virtually' makes you completely invisible and a nonperson, and completely vulnerable to abuse. 

We need a hero.  Someone who can stand up for what is right, not people who would just have us shut up and accept every lousy thing that has happened to this profession, and then dare you to speak up. 

An interesting quote - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."

Thomas Paine, The Crisis

I agree. It also seems that these companies have forgotten that our time - is money, but we keep waiting

[ In Reply To ..]

Power - NorCalMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, YOU just said it all. Standing up for *what is right* and *daring to speak up* and be a hero maybe can start with using real names and not anonymous. I stand up when it's required, and I don't feel that working virtual makes me invisible and a nonperson, just a virtual worker.

YOU dont feel virtual makes you invisible but - its the MTSOs eye that is the problem (no msge)

[ In Reply To ..]

good for you. my post was for those of us who feel - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
differently. I stood up before and dared to speak up for myself at webmedx and I got completely shut out. when I left there I ended up with 200 dollars less every 2 weeks in my pay and no one would talk to me, period. emails not answered, phone calls not returned. I had been speaking up about all the changes they were making as the first year it was the best job I ever had. I spoke up, I got squeezed out.

I have often wondered if my speaking up would have made any positive changes over the past 2 years but things sound pretty much the same there.

I am also not stupid and I need to support myself.

there is strength in numbers and grassroots is the only way to get people to gain power.

that is good that you speak up when its required and don't feel... your are a nonperson. others of us do and cannot speak up because it is too easy for MTSOs to shut people right down whenever they want.

PS - I never said I am a hero - .)

And the reason for you having - L

[ In Reply To ..]
$200 less every 2 weeks was for what?

I am another who gets shut down when I speak up - at Wmx

[ In Reply To ..]
I spoke up about a lot of things - cherrypicking for example, though there was plenty more. My paycheck is now half of what it was just 6 months ago. Suddenly I find myself typing a lot of lousy accounts where I'm lose money. Coincidence? Probably not. Round here the squeaky wheel gets tossed in a corner to rust.
that is exactly what happened to me... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
no matter how hard I tried I could not make money... and as I mentioned before could not get any responses from anyone about that, either, when I was asking for help.

I was tossed for speaking up - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I was tossed for refusing to strictly adhere to a shift with no work, i.e., no pay for me, but they wanted it covered just to keep the possible 1-2 jobs that might appear in TAT. This is after years of being "wonderful" blah, blah, blah... I was surprised, but suddenly they turned on me when I said I was not willing to do that any longer.

Anyway, I expected to have a hard time finding decent paying work, but I'm finding I'm getting offers better than the 6-8 cent norm. I get the feeling employers are being more careful with what they offer because a lot of the low offers are probably being rejected. So I say keep it up, keep standing up for yourselves because I think it is having some effect, from what I perceive anyway.

Great post! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

There are heroes fighting for us under their own names, - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
as Norma Rae, Thomas Paine, and Jesus did, but their statements are in dense technical prose and presentations at professional conferences instead of anonymous puffs of whiny carpy hot air.

what is your point? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
MissIndigo - whiny carpy hot air, what is that about fishes?

you are proving my point exactly.

sounds like you are only trying to intimidate people into not speaking up.

same old.

My point is that helpless complaints here should be - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
replaced with genuine self-help.

We're all being buffeted around without being consulted during this transition. Infuriating. We're all making less money, even those still doing well. Upsetting at the very least. None of us knows for sure if we'll have a job next year. Scary.

BUT -- All of us will have to work at SOMETHING next year, and that is the key to THE way we can each get powerful again. By improving and broadening our skills so we have the power to say no and walk if we want. Walk to good-paying skilled jobs in other areas or industries. OR be ready to step into the new positions this industry is trying to create right now while we sit and fuss and worry. Nothing else will work.

My questions to everyone who opens this are--what classes have you taken this year? Which ones have you decided to take in 2010?
MissIndigo: Now I am really confused. Weren't you the one...sm - does not matter
[ In Reply To ..]
advocating and diffending VR as being so marvellous and everyone should embrace this new technology, and always emphasizing how much money you are making with VR?

What made you a complainer?
I would love to know what classes you mean-I am being sincere, - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
because I am at a loss. there is a lot of misinformation out there as, in my opinion, the (former) AAMT is advocating and representing overseas MTs and basically are "going where the money and opportunity is" where they can sell their 'product.' they are offering again in my opinion nothing substantial for me, other than taking money, and I have no idea what the benefits are (and I mean in reality, not what they would have me believe) or what it has to do with my job, other than offering me some self-esteem by completing some courses and adding a title to the end of my name? the fees are not even in keeping with what an average MT earns in this country right now. it almost appears they have a cash-cow from overseas...so why do they need to bother so much with the US MTs.

that being said, this is exactly what I was hoping for, some insight from others as to what they are doing and how to go about it. I am secluded and isolated at my job. more and more I come to this board hoping to find some good news and from what I see the outlook looks bleak.

so you mention classes, what pray tell do you mean. what direction do you see MT going. what about those who cannot afford college because I heard you may have to get an RT now. that is not an option for me so the less fortunate of us who do not have money will be pushed out? and again that brings me to my point. are we to become a society who just ignores and wishes away anyone who is not young, rich, and healthy?
She's talking M-Tec/ADHI stuff sponsored by W - affiliated with Webmedx
[ In Reply To ..]
HIPAA compliance and CMT/RMT review - both are beating the dead horse, since she admits this industry is kaput. Although since Webmedx conveniently bought M-Tec prior to planning their global VR conversion, I bet they have other classes they'll be happy to sell the MTs they're putting out of work.
Ohhhh, got it - thank you (no message) - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
.)

WE NEED TO BE OUR OWN HEROES and - quit waiting for a savior. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The rules have changed. Maybe we all need to do a small part to get some very big attention. At the very least, we each need to check with the labor department in our state to check what our rights are in regards to production pay and start filing some complaints if we need to.

With no regulation or whatever the reason, believe it or not - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have looked into that and from everything I read and am told, we as employees have no power, no voice, no advocacy, no protection, and these companies, or any for that reason, can basically do anything they want because they can afford lawyers who cover all the bases.

pretty much there is no accountability.

I do appreciate your post though, that you thoughtfully had something to add.

Women have the "Shut up, take it, and love it" - mantra hammered into them from birth. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's the reason why pay for traditionally "women's" jobs (and even men's come to think of it) is still a fraction of a man's dollar.

It's why women had to fight for the right to vote, and for their own reproductive rights, the latter of which we're still fighting and risk losing.

It's why MTSOs are such huge cash cows for their owners and the suits that work for them.

DAIRY-COWS. That's about as much esteem they have for their workers. Herd us around, bring us in twice a day for suctioning at the milk-machines, feed us as little as possible, then send us off to the meat-packers when we can't "produce" on what they pay.

I doubt that any one individual will ever stand up and go to bat for us, especially since we continue to refuse to stand up for ourselves. The "shut up" part of the mantra we all adhere to so loyally makes us all but invisible.

WE NEED TO BE OUR OWN HEROES, and like you said in your title line, we need to start standing up for ourselves.

So very true... sad but true - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
well, at least I was trying to get people thinking. this was a lot to lose for me. this job was everything to me and gave me self-esteem because I never got to go to college, was pretty 'poor', had started in a hospital as a clerk, and after getting laid off and because of good work ethics was able to get rehired as an MT after taking a 6-month course, and then being trained by a CMT who really took her title seriously. She instilled pride in those of us she taught as well, and over the years I have perfected my craft - only now to lose everything because of the rest of the 'herd' and those sadistic types who don't want other women to succeed and who think we all have to 'suffer together,' or whatever the reason they inflict pain and suffering on other MTs. At least that is what I have seen a LOT of in this business.

..you are so right which is why I could not stand up for 'us' because I did that before, many times actually, with the same results. First time, too funny, I went marching into the director of Medical Record's office to address some difficult workplace issues, had everyone behind me lined up, and by the time I got into the office I turned around and NOT ONE person was with me. They all scattered like the wind.

I just thought perhaps people can start thinking again, and fighting. maybe there is a voice out there or will be someday, someone who is stronger than I was. perhaps, if there is such an entity, the next generation of MTs can be smarter and play more like the guys!

Similar Messages:

AFRAID TO BE AN IC
Aug 25, 2012

I am afraid to be an independent contractor! Between no benefits and no work. Does anyone have anything good to being an IC? Don't the employees get the work first? Do you "babysit" the computer a lot? ...

Too Afraid?
Nov 21, 2012

Is everyone too afraid to answer or are they keeping you in the dark also about human resources.  I know about 10 years ago or so MQ settled a class action lawsuit about how they payed wrong or something or another, but since then it seems like everyone who works for them is just like cows to slaughter.  Step right up, work for us and bend it on over.  Someone has to stand up and say something, and I think it might have to be her - if she can find out how to get to human resources ...

Be Afraid
Feb 12, 2013

http://www.mygeartools.com/articles/transcription-outsourcing-leads-to-womans-death-140m-settlement/ ...

Don't Be Afraid.
Feb 20, 2013

Article about MT abuse by the industry.  I was nauseated after reading this.  I absolutely love my job, not the industry. "Part of the problem as I see it is that medical transcription has become a commodity, paid on production, with little or no acknowledgement of the wealth of knowledge a transcriptionist must have in order to perform the work." "Medical transcriptionists need to stop being afraid of what will happen to them if they speak up, and start thinking about what i ...

I'm Sorry - Afraid I Will Be Lost Below!
Dec 11, 2009

Under IC QA - thanks (waaaay down there - lots of comments) but after you read this - do I have options? ...

I'm Afraid To Ask This. I Came Over From Spheris. Sm
Jun 17, 2010

If anyone is still reading this, at tihis point, question is about time off.  When MQ bought us, we were told they would let us keep our time off hours.  Except they must be used before the end of the year.  Only problem is, they are not letting us take those hours.  We were even told we must use MQ time off hours or lose them before the end of the year. I'm scared silly to ask this, but is this what the swap board is all about?  If you need time off and someo ...

Not Sure What To Do. Afraid Of What A Physician Is Asking Me To Do. Advice
Nov 20, 2010

I have an account with a physician whom had one of his office staff call me yesterday on their cell phone, asking me to "delete" information on a particular patient, certain things in their weekly follow up visit reports.  He is being audited by someone, and this sort of freaks me out. I do not want to alter a dictation that has already been billed to insurance for.  I asked him to send the request to me in writing, so that in the event something would happen, I would have that infor ...

Are Any Of You Afraid To Go Out Into The Real World Again?
Feb 04, 2012

After my company recently dropped my account by 1-1/2 cents, I have been considering either a job switch or maybe even an inhouse hospital position but the thought of it puts me in a panic.  Has anyone else experienced that?  I have been doing this job at home for 20 years and one of the reasons I love it is I don't have to deal with the politics of a work place or people in general.  I was a vet tech before an MT so obviously I love animals and prefer being with m ...

IMedX The New Nuance? I'm Afraid So
Aug 29, 2014

After 20+ years in the industry, I've seen a lot of changes, but these big companies take the cake. They all want to be the big dog and think that eating up smaller companies, dropping everybody's wages, and sending the work to India and generally becoming a company that MTs ran from should be a goal or something to be proud of. Sure, boast that your company made 50+ million dollars last year and then tell your MTs in the same breath that they are not worth paying. As if one Nuance wer ...

Afraid To Sign Up For Medical Insurance, Don't Want
Nov 20, 2013

I know that sounds crazy, but this company is MAKING me crazy! Up to now, I haven't signed up for the medical insurance, but now I need to and am afraid that will make me a future "target" for firings/layoffs.  That's the main issue I have with this company right now - the "unknown." I know that many people really don't know what the future holds with their company and that layoffs happen, but this company has a striking track record for mass firings, and it always seems to b ...

KS's Ad States 'MTs Who Are Not Afraid Of ESLs.' When Will These MTSOs Get It?
May 31, 2014

time spent trying to get out a decent product with these guys. With technology on one hand and India on the other getting the good guys, ESLs are pretty much the norm for MTs with any given company these days and we know how to leave blanks and move on. "Afraid" of ESLs? Oh, no, no, no, no, no. You don't put that one on the MTs. It's the bill collector that drives us, and you will get what you pay for based on the premise that time is money. enough said. ...

A Tool Providing Anonimity On Line For Those Who Are Afraid Of Retaliation
Dec 04, 2014

I have noticed that there is a lot of fear among workers here when it comes to reporting any suspected illegal or even unethical activity on the part of their employer.  Therefore, I will put you onto a tool that might help.  It's called TOR and it was developed by the US Government to help people in places like Iran post on line without fear of repercussions from oppressive governments.  This tool not only allows people to browse the Internet annonymously, it allows users to ...

What Does T&A Stand For? Or TNA?
Oct 16, 2009

This one's not on acronymfinder and I can't find it in my references.  A surgical procedure, T&A or TNA.  Thanks! ...

What Does The BOS Stand For?
Nov 09, 2009

nm   ...

What Does ASR Stand For? Nm
Jan 13, 2010

nm ...

What Does HON Stand For?
Apr 26, 2010

nm ...

What Does TTS Stand For? TIA Nm
May 13, 2010

nm ...

What Does PMI Stand For?
Jun 11, 2010

Doctor is dictating a history and physical and says:  "HEART:  PMI is nondisplaced.  Auscultation demonstrates regular rhythm."  What is PMI.  Never heard this one before! ...

Stand Up
Nov 11, 2010

I know supervisors are overworked also in this field, but I wish supervisors would stand up for their workers.  Start communicating w/your MTs/Editors and Go to your higher ups and enlighten them on a few things - simply relay information to them but first you have to get it.  It would benefit us both greatly. Everywhere I have worked, supervisors only communicate 1-way.  They don't seek input, return e-mails, etc.  I guess if your at home your out-of-site and ...

What Does TAA Stand For? I'm Trying To
Jun 15, 2011

look it up again.  Seems it has disappeared from the top of the MQ thread?  Maybe the program ended?  I'm wondering what the requirements are?  I'm sure you can't quit and receive benefits.  But what about being fired?     ...

What Does EVJ Stand For
Aug 16, 2011

what does EVJ stand for? regarding kidney stones, uropathy. i am sure it is the docs short version of something. any ideas? ...

What Does This Stand For?
Jan 06, 2012

DO Something. Stand Up For Yourselves And Others! LM
Jan 20, 2013

I know the job market for MTs is not like it used to be, but I am an ex hospital employee who lost her job to the big NuISance, too. If they continue to get good MTs for a pittance, they'll keep up their monopolystic tactics. In the time I worked for them, they ate up Transcend, WebMedEx, and Accentus (which was about the last company offering decent benefits, based in Canada). If they can't get good MTs, they'll have to mend their ways, but as long as their door keeps revolving, ...

What Does BOB Stand For?
Mar 23, 2013

Not an MM employee, but would love to know what BOB means. I know it has something to do with your job queue...TIA! ...

What Does NJA Stand For?
Apr 23, 2013

When you mention NJA, (saw it on Indeed.com), does anyone know what it stands for? ...

What Does QC Stand For?
Jan 10, 2014

Calcium acetate 1334 mg p.o. qc (or QC or q.c.) ...

Stand-by Pay
Nov 29, 2014

I think every MT who is subjected to sitting and waiting for work that is not there should be paid for stand-by time.  Who do these criminals think they are that they can continue to use people like pawns.  If absolutely everybody would submit an invoice for all the idle hours spent waiting for work, it would bankrupt them. ...

We Need To Stand Together.
May 28, 2015

Without us VR is worthless. We are valuable and deserve to be respected for our knowledge, talent, and experience and compensated fairly for this. The powers that be will succeed in cheating us of our ability to provide for families and our dignity, if we allow it. I am going back to school and getting out of it altogether after 23 years. I see no other way. Any suggestions? ...

What Does FTNB Stand For?
Oct 11, 2010

What does the abbreviation FTNB stand for?   Thx ...

What Does MTSO Stand For?
Mar 07, 2011

What does MTSO stand for? ...