A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

KS's ad states 'MTs who are not afraid of ESLs.' When will these MTSOs get it? - You have to pay more to make up the

Posted: May 31, 2014

time spent trying to get out a decent product with these guys. With technology on one hand and India on the other getting the good guys, ESLs are pretty much the norm for MTs with any given company these days and we know how to leave blanks and move on. "Afraid" of ESLs? Oh, no, no, no, no, no. You don't put that one on the MTs. It's the bill collector that drives us, and you will get what you pay for based on the premise that time is money. enough said.

Such b.s.! I'm not afraid of ESL's, what I'm - afraid of is poverty-level pay. (N/M)

[ In Reply To ..]

Hey KS, why are you afraid to pay good MTs what they are worth? - ETOHPRN

[ In Reply To ..]
You are reaping what you have sown.

They arent afraid. But why should they pay more? They have MTs working - for what they pay, same as other MTSO. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

MTSO should pay more for many ESL dictators. - Only fair....right?

[ In Reply To ..]
But if they paid us more, then they would have to charge the facility more and then they would probably lose the contract, as it will go to another agency that will do the work for less. The MTSO's are only getting many of these contracts because they charge the facility so little to get their transcription done and this low pay runs downhill to us. Nope, not afraid of ESLs but certainly will not transcribe them for the going rate with MTSOs. There needs to be adequate compensation for work transcribed for these horrible ESL dictators. I Left an agency a while back because almost all of the physicians on my assigned account were ESL and not typical ESLs that can speak English, but the horrible ESLs that have very little command of the English Language. I understand that Transcriptionist turnover rate on this account is extremely high.

imo ESL is and has always been part of the job - lmo

[ In Reply To ..]
why should you get paid extra for it?

Why should I be paid less the mor difficult the report? - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously, the more difficult to understand, the longer it takes, the less I get paid. I have ESLs who leave off the last 2 syllables of a 3-syllable word!

for the same reason you should not be paid more - lmq

[ In Reply To ..]
if you have a difficult dictator make a normal of it so that you CAN LEARN AND GET UP TO YOUR STANDARD LINE CT
So many things to do to ensure your wage!!
this is part of your job in my opinion....
To IMO and IMQ - Please see my 1st post YIKES.
[ In Reply To ..]
No additional message.....except to say that the MTSO should be charging these physicians/facilities more for this reports.....If any work, perhaps like a yard person, construction worker, plumber, painter, etc had to take additional time due to the needs of the client, they would certainly charge more for their services. TIME IS MONEY. And because of that, I am lucky and have lots of work, so back to work I go.

Please tell me you are not serious..... - YIKES

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, ESL has always been part of the job. However, there are ESL physicians that are respectful of the transcriptionist who is trying to understand what they are dictating and then there are other ESL physicians, who just do not care and are disrespectful to those of us trying to understand them. It is the latter that need to be charged extra for completion of their work. (Unless of course, the transcriptionist can use blanks throughout the report). As an example, I have a local physician that I transcribe 2-3 times a week. He has a very thick Spanish accent, but excellent grammar and syntax. He frequently apologizes during his dictations regarding his lack of fluent English speaking ability and thanks me frequently for my work. He understands, he cares, and I am most willing even happy to transcribe his dictations. But.....the others.....well now, I think you know what I mean and yes, SOMETHING that takes more time to do, due to no fault on the part of the transcriptionist, should command a higher payment. IMO.

Similar Messages:

States MTSOs Don't Like To Hire From?
Jun 15, 2013

I am thinking of moving to another state and seem to remember that some MTSOs do not like to hire from certain states for various reasons.  California comes to mind, but what are some of the others? ...

I Can Take The ESLs...
Dec 16, 2009

...but these mumblers....OMG!!!  I cannot understand you if you don't open your lips!  Do you talk to your patients that way??? ...

Having A Bad Day With Too Many ESLs
Oct 08, 2011

So I'm having a irritating, low-production day with ESLs which leads to my question of "Why are these foreigners here?"  They can't communicate effectively when no one understands them.  What encouraged them to come over to the US in the first place?  Were they offered a free education?  Did somebody invite them?  If so, it sure wasn't by anyone I know.  There are hardly any clear English-speaking doctors anymore.  I'm getting tired of stutt ...

AFRAID TO BE AN IC
Aug 25, 2012

I am afraid to be an independent contractor! Between no benefits and no work. Does anyone have anything good to being an IC? Don't the employees get the work first? Do you "babysit" the computer a lot? ...

Too Afraid?
Nov 21, 2012

Is everyone too afraid to answer or are they keeping you in the dark also about human resources.  I know about 10 years ago or so MQ settled a class action lawsuit about how they payed wrong or something or another, but since then it seems like everyone who works for them is just like cows to slaughter.  Step right up, work for us and bend it on over.  Someone has to stand up and say something, and I think it might have to be her - if she can find out how to get to human resources ...

Be Afraid
Feb 12, 2013

http://www.mygeartools.com/articles/transcription-outsourcing-leads-to-womans-death-140m-settlement/ ...

Don't Be Afraid.
Feb 20, 2013

Article about MT abuse by the industry.  I was nauseated after reading this.  I absolutely love my job, not the industry. "Part of the problem as I see it is that medical transcription has become a commodity, paid on production, with little or no acknowledgement of the wealth of knowledge a transcriptionist must have in order to perform the work." "Medical transcriptionists need to stop being afraid of what will happen to them if they speak up, and start thinking about what i ...

VENT On ESLs!
Mar 20, 2011

Why, oh why, do I put up with making 7 cents a line trying to understand languages I don't speak?  I do the best I can trying to decipher their garbled mess of dictation and then 90% of the time my ESLs dictate in what sounds like what surely must be an underground tunnel, or whisper, or take 3 minutes between words.  I long for all English (American) speaking doctors again, making a decent line count, and getting glowing reviews and periodic raises (which I haven't seen in ...

A Word About ESLs
Jul 17, 2011

I know everyone complains about ESL dictators - I do also, and have been to the point of tearing my hair out at times.  I always try to stop and remember that we need to give them the same respect we give English speaking physicians.  The  foreign docs have come here to make a better life for themselves, and also to fill some pretty big gaps in health care coverage for both larger and smaller hospitals.  What if we tried to communicate with them in - Hindi, German/Eastern Eu ...

ESLs & Politeness
Jun 05, 2013

Currently I'm working with more ESLs than ever before.  Just curious who you find the most polite?  The East Indian dictators are pretty easy to understand once you get used to their emphasis on different sylabels.  I also find them the most polite dictators, with many "sorry's" and "thank you's".  I have one who must not know that humans edit him as he is afraid to leave dead air space.  As he is thinking he dictates: "um, thinking...thinking... so sorry. ...

Transcription Tip For ESLs
Jun 06, 2013

I hit a patch of syllables and felt the usual frustration. I decided to work my way backwards. I went a few words past the part I could not figure out and transcribed that bit and worked my back towards the indecipherable part, and it worked really well. I was able to get it through context, and it also did sound correct as well at this point. Just wanted to share in case anyone else may be struggling and not know about this. It probably won't work every time, but every little bi ...

I'm Sorry - Afraid I Will Be Lost Below!
Dec 11, 2009

Under IC QA - thanks (waaaay down there - lots of comments) but after you read this - do I have options? ...

Don't Be Afraid To Stand Up For Yourselves...
Dec 30, 2009

What has happened to us as an MT community.  Whenever someone speaks up with anything negative (but factual) about this so-called profession, there is always someone there to belittle the person, or give the old (my personal favorite) just shut up, take it, and LOVE it attitude.  We have absolutely NO  POWER left whatsoever? Is this true? Can this be  -  in our great country - are we just lying down and accepting all that is happening. We are allowing ourselves to go ba ...

I'm Afraid To Ask This. I Came Over From Spheris. Sm
Jun 17, 2010

If anyone is still reading this, at tihis point, question is about time off.  When MQ bought us, we were told they would let us keep our time off hours.  Except they must be used before the end of the year.  Only problem is, they are not letting us take those hours.  We were even told we must use MQ time off hours or lose them before the end of the year. I'm scared silly to ask this, but is this what the swap board is all about?  If you need time off and someo ...

I Think They Should Mandate Some ESLs Have Someone Else Dictate For Them
Jun 09, 2011

I am actually in the middle of a report right now for the most horrible ESL doctor ever.  Besides the fact that her accent is so ridiculously thick, she speaks so softly that it is impossible to figure out what she is saying.  Even though she is straight typing, I still can't make money on it because I keep rewinding to try to figure out what she is saying.  What's funny is she is doing a medical consult for a psych patient.  Like these patients dont' have enou ...

LPH, Work Types, ESLs
Mar 10, 2012

I'd like to ask a favor please.  When people post what their LPH is, like one poster below saying 500 LPH, would you also post what work types you are working on and the percentage of ESLs.  Acute care or clinic, radiology, ER. It is not that I am doubting, but just comparing it to my work. The numbers I have seen people post are unimaginable to me if they are doing acute care with 80% ESLs and all work types and exceeding 99% accuracy.  A lot of normal templates in your ...

Not Sure What To Do. Afraid Of What A Physician Is Asking Me To Do. Advice
Nov 20, 2010

I have an account with a physician whom had one of his office staff call me yesterday on their cell phone, asking me to "delete" information on a particular patient, certain things in their weekly follow up visit reports.  He is being audited by someone, and this sort of freaks me out. I do not want to alter a dictation that has already been billed to insurance for.  I asked him to send the request to me in writing, so that in the event something would happen, I would have that infor ...

Are Any Of You Afraid To Go Out Into The Real World Again?
Feb 04, 2012

After my company recently dropped my account by 1-1/2 cents, I have been considering either a job switch or maybe even an inhouse hospital position but the thought of it puts me in a panic.  Has anyone else experienced that?  I have been doing this job at home for 20 years and one of the reasons I love it is I don't have to deal with the politics of a work place or people in general.  I was a vet tech before an MT so obviously I love animals and prefer being with m ...

IMedX The New Nuance? I'm Afraid So
Aug 29, 2014

After 20+ years in the industry, I've seen a lot of changes, but these big companies take the cake. They all want to be the big dog and think that eating up smaller companies, dropping everybody's wages, and sending the work to India and generally becoming a company that MTs ran from should be a goal or something to be proud of. Sure, boast that your company made 50+ million dollars last year and then tell your MTs in the same breath that they are not worth paying. As if one Nuance wer ...

Afraid To Sign Up For Medical Insurance, Don't Want
Nov 20, 2013

I know that sounds crazy, but this company is MAKING me crazy! Up to now, I haven't signed up for the medical insurance, but now I need to and am afraid that will make me a future "target" for firings/layoffs.  That's the main issue I have with this company right now - the "unknown." I know that many people really don't know what the future holds with their company and that layoffs happen, but this company has a striking track record for mass firings, and it always seems to b ...

I Quit Due To Crap Sound Quality And Hellish ESLs
Mar 26, 2015

I quit in early 2014 because there was a sudden switchover of doctors in the acct I was typing, and they were the worst I've ever encountered. The sound quality was atrocious at Nuance. It was like scraping the bottom of the barrel. I work for a different company now that doesn't make you jump through stupid FIESA hoops, etc, and it's nice. Just wondering if the same crap dictation continues at Nuance. I liked Transcend. ...

A Tool Providing Anonimity On Line For Those Who Are Afraid Of Retaliation
Dec 04, 2014

I have noticed that there is a lot of fear among workers here when it comes to reporting any suspected illegal or even unethical activity on the part of their employer.  Therefore, I will put you onto a tool that might help.  It's called TOR and it was developed by the US Government to help people in places like Iran post on line without fear of repercussions from oppressive governments.  This tool not only allows people to browse the Internet annonymously, it allows users to ...

Any MTs Looking For A Job From States Where
Jun 22, 2014

the minimum wage is higher than $8/hr having a difficult time finding a job? I am hoping to hear that there are MTs recently laid off or quit who have fairly easily found another MT job, living in a state (such as CA, WA, OR etc) where the minimum wage is higher than average. I am wondering if companies are ignoring applicants from these states? I so hope I am wrong. ...

Type "Letter, Dated 08/12/09, States...." Or "A Letter, Dated 08/12/09, States...&quo
Apr 21, 2010

Can anyone tell me what the more preferred way to type the above sentence would be?   Also, should I not use commas before "dated" and after the date or should I just straight type it "The report dated 08/12/09 states...."  We have a few different opinions in the office (which only dictated and have somewhat poor use of the English language) and I would like to see what you, the MT community, thinks.   Thanks! ...

Regarding Breaks In Certain States
Nov 14, 2009

I lost the email, but supposedly I get a 10-minute break after 4 hours. Do I clock out of DQS but stay clocked on at ScheduleSource or do I stay logged onto both and walk away from the computer for 10 minutes? Does it show up on the time card or only on the pay stub. Does anyone know the details? Thank you. ...

S/l DCS. Doc States Neuro: DCS 15. (Pt. Is 15)
Feb 03, 2010

doc states in neuro: DCS 15. (Pt is a 15 year old girl). I think this is her own slang.  Any ideas? ...

OMG! Below There Is A Post That States...
May 21, 2013

"At least, I was smart enough to get out of here."  REALLY! pfffft. It doesn't take smarts to run, it takes smarts to make a change for the better.  There is a big difference. Why don't you get off attack mode? I would keep this job until I got something else, i.e., something is better than nothing when your paycheck pays for food.  How self-centered. ...

Inside States...
Apr 24, 2014

Inscribe posted on job seeker's site, the new state laws do not allow them to hire from California.  What is that all about?  Geez.. ...

On Med List. Dr. States S/l Polyvinyl. ???? TIA.
Oct 23, 2009

nm ...

SYNERNET Not Hiring From Certain States
May 03, 2012

Has anyone else had trouble with companies not hiring because of state laws with Workmans Compensation.  I did all the testing required for a company and then I get an email back stating they do not hire people from Ohio due to the workers comp laws.  It would be really nice for companies to take the time and list the states they will not hire from so we do not waste our time doing unnecessary testing.  The company is Synernet ...