A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you capitalize illegal drugs such as cocaine, heroin, etc? - which case

Posted: Dec 08, 2011

or do you leave them in lower case.  I know you capitalized brand names and lower case on generics, but what about street drugs, always wondered that?  TIA

I vote no - Glory Daze

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe you do.

street drugs - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
No, street drugs are not capped because there is no trademark involved.

thanks, I have never capitalized them, but always - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
wondered afterwards if I was doing it correct or not. Good to know my instinct was correct. Thanks, again.

Cocaine and Heroin are brand names - need caps - street drugs or not

[ In Reply To ..]

Huh? Branded by what company? - Please explain.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I am still waiting to see which big drug company has them branded too - ERMT

[ In Reply To ..]
????
In 1895 Bayer trademarked Heroin - gfy
[ In Reply To ..]
Looks like they lost that trademark - in 1925
[ In Reply To ..]
and so it is back to heroin. No worries.

No they are not!!! - ERMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Let me guess...you capitalize marijuana too?

That is just silly!

my mistake, cocaine is just a chemical name - ...but Heroin is a brand name

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that heroin need not be capitalized, as it has become a word like jello or frigidaire, but you might want to do some research before you start throwing exclamation points around.
I stand by them.. - ERMT
[ In Reply To ..]
If I were to capitalize those, #1 I would get dinged on QA and #2 I would feel like an idiot afterward. You are giving out bad information.

Exclamation points are used to convey strong emotion, which I felt as I posted that. Now, I am feeling more indifference... (which is evidenced by my trailing periods there) ;-)
I guess you could capitalize Bayer Heroin if you wanted to get technical - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
And then only if the dictator specifically STATES Bayer Heroin. Although I don't think you will find any being manufactured by that company any longer. I only capitalize aspirin if the dictator specifically states Bayer Aspirin, otherwise, it is generic ol' aspirin they get.

hEroin - Knowherebear

[ In Reply To ..]
"gfy" doesn't seem the most eloquent, peaceful Buddhist I've ever come across (hence the 'gfy' part) & I stand with you in that heroin needs no capital letter hanging above it, unless the dictation in question is coming from an Amsterdam "coffee shop" & the hooker handing you your brand name smack happens to have her own line.

p.s. (!!!!!!!!!)

No - LR

[ In Reply To ..]
They have chemical names that are different from the street name, but it doesn't mean they are brand names.

My trusty Saunders does not have them capitalized.

street drugs are listed in the back of my drug book, I do not see these capped - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Capitalization - Heroin, Cocaine And Marijuana
Feb 07, 2011

I have always wondered if drugs such as heroin, cocaine and marijuana are suppose to be capitalized or not?  ...

For A Septoplasty / Turbinectomy: "4% COCAINE
Dec 15, 2009

Is "cocaine" really what he's saying?   ...

To Capitalize Or Not To Capitalize, That Is The Question
Oct 17, 2010

Learning the book of style and trying to decide in this sentence whether or not to capitalize Neurology and pain medicine.    He was seen by Pain Medicine and Neurology. thanks in advance ...

ILLEGAL
Sep 02, 2013

A company cannot REQUIRE an employee to sit in front of a computer and check for work and NOT compensate them for their time. Common sense. Call your labor board. Now if they are willing to go back to flex schedules, then it is a whole different story. Boy would I LOVE to go back to that!!! ...

Seen Posted Here Before That It Is Illegal To Pay Someone PTO
Apr 23, 2013

are paid on production.  Does anybody here know anything about this?  We have shown them they cant make us lie on timesheets, they have to pay at least minimum wage.  Now can we show them they have to calculate our PTO in a more fair fashion?  ...

Need Hlp With Two Drugs Pla
Jul 16, 2012

Drug sl Di clan or can  for emesis, and second drug is me cal fun gan... ty.... ...

Drugs And More Drugs
Jan 12, 2014

Doctor said:  The patient said she has not used drugs for two months but took a couple of mollies a couple weeks ago.  ? Am I missing something?   ...

Drugs
Apr 01, 2015

The patient has diabetes she is on Levemir 16 units and "Victresa" 0.8 mg sub daily. Thanks  ...

Isn't It Illegal Not To Be Paid For Overtime Or
Jan 03, 2010

required telephone conferences?  ...

Illegal Not To Pay Independent Contractors
Dec 13, 2010

Is it illegal not to pay independent contractors twice a month.  It was agreed to in the hiring process? ...

Illegal? Unethical? Shady?
Mar 05, 2012

So "Perry" has a job on the job board.  You essentially give them leads from accounts you work on and they will try and underbid your current employer.  Guess they never heard of a confidentiality agreement, ethics, etc. ...

Inscribe Illegal Employer
Jun 05, 2014

Only hiring I.C.'s? Inscribe is full of it! It costs more upfront to be a 1099, and helps them evade paying taxes. There is tremendous liability on top of it. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW! *see link. http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/2013reports/201330058fr.pdf ...

Now Its Recognizing Illegal Drug Use,,,lol
Jun 25, 2014

dictated: Pain is slightly improved with Vicodin (then doc shuffling papers). typed: Pain is slightly improved with Vicodin off the street ...

Psoriatic Illegal Arthritis?
Aug 15, 2014

This is exactly what the dictator is saying, is this a thing? ...

Drugs...generic Or Not?
Dec 20, 2010

Ive asked QA this five times to no avail.  Truth is, I'm still not sure why SpellCheck doesn't cover this.  How do we know when I drug has switched over and is now generic and no longer requires capitalization?? I used to depend on Google (at the bottom of the page whether it is capped or not) but QA has bit me a couple times on this and for the life of me, even after researching, cannot find a 100% reliable answer to this question.  As always, thanks in advance! ...

Message From Drugs.com
Aug 08, 2012

There have been reports that the Drugs.com website is infectiing users with a virus. This is not correct. Back in June we identified a rouge advertisement that was being swapped out infrequently in place of a genuine ad. This ad launched a false virus threat message and directed the user to a website to pay to have the virus removed. The ad was removed and we have banned the network that supplied the ad. We have had no further issues since then. You can confirm that the website is safe by chec ...

Cancer Drugs (sm)
Apr 18, 2014

I'm looking for a listing of cancer drugs, approved and in trials, that has the correct case (generic and brand name).  FDA.gov is a good one but that includes all drugs and I was hoping to find a list of just cancer drugs. Any suggestions?   ...

Capitalization On Drugs
Nov 24, 2014

Seems like at one time I saw where QA/QC was no longer counting off if you accidentally (or through ignorance) capitalized a generic, but that if you did NOT capitalize a name brand it was an error. Am I crazy, or can someone tell me where to find this? ...

Isnt It Illegal For A Potential Employer To Ask Your Age?
Nov 16, 2009

Have any of you had the feeling you weren't getting callbacks from employers you applied with because of your age?  I've been getting that feeling, and I thought that discrimination based on age, among other things, was illegal. So of course, the answer would be to just not fill in your date of birth, right?  Well, lately I've applied at a few places where the ONLY way to apply was online.  I had actually called them because I wanted to either come in and fill out ...

Company Tactics; Unethical, But Not Illegal.
Mar 02, 2012

I am starting to see a trend here with companies hiring MTs at 6 cpl enticing them with easy doctors, tons of work, and once off of QA "you are bumped up to 7 to 7.5 cpl."  When asked, "Typically, how long does it take to get off of QA?"  The answer always is, "No one is ever on QA for more than 2 weeks or we let them, go...1-2 days typically."  What tends to happen after the first day or two, they begin to add the worst dictators to the pool, thus making it mo ...

Time Outside Production - Isn't It Illegal To Require This?
Feb 13, 2014

New to Nuance, swallowed up when they acquired my employer at the end of 2013.  I see they really expect you to spend a lot of time doing things outside your schedule, training, reading manuals, etc.  Other than a flat rate for installing and learning software (20 minutes, actually took twice that), they don't offer to pay for all this extra time.  Seems excessive.  Has anyone tracked this extra time and filed a complaint with DOL about it?  Or tried to clock into W ...

I Heart Google Drugs
Jun 30, 2010

In the last few weeks Google has this new feature. You type in the name of a drug (generic or brand name) and the first result that comes down is from www.nlm.nih.gov and it looks different than the rest of the links. It has the generic and brand name, a short discription of what it does and how to take it, and includes links for further information. It has a little picture of a pill on it so it is easily seen and recognized. This is so much better than scrolling down through the links to find o ...

S/l Anoxapres Nothing Found At Drugs.com
Jan 19, 2011

thanks ...

Drugs S/l Acyclovate Or Esicorvate? Sm
Oct 29, 2013

looking at possible Aclovate, but not what dictator is saying.  Pt has hypertension, hyperlipidemia, PVD and CAD.  Nothing mentioned about any skin condition, so doubt Aclovate.  Help please? anyone? Thanks ...

Way To Search For Drugs By Dosage Only?
Nov 11, 2013

Sometimes all you have is a list of medications and no context as to what they are for.  Is there a place to search by dosage when that is all you can make out?  I have one now that s/l edaquine 25 mg daily.  Thanks. ...

On-shore US Illegal Activities By Indian IT Companies
Nov 25, 2009

Related to the US transcriptionists issues with work offshoring to Indian companies, is this article series about Indian owned/run companies in the Information Technology field pulling illegal activities right here in the US in order to save money.  http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034732629.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034738024.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034736588.htm Given that these owners would d ...

Anyone Have A Good Resource For HIV/AIDS Drugs?
Apr 26, 2014

xx ...

Is There Any Site That Lists Generic Vs Brand Name Drugs?
Nov 07, 2009

nm ...

Hints For Brand Names Vs Generic Drugs
Aug 11, 2011

I was hoping some more experienced MTs could help me with something.  I am struggling with remembering which are brand names and which are generics (so I know to cap them or not).  Is there some trick to this? A website that can quickly (and obviously) tell you?  Perhaps some software you all have? Please, it is driving me crazy and my quality is suffering :(  ...

Capitalize?
Nov 06, 2009

right-handed woman, a retired foreign service core officer ...