A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ILLEGAL - sm

Posted: Sep 02, 2013

A company cannot REQUIRE an employee to sit in front of a computer and check for work and NOT compensate them for their time. Common sense. Call your labor board. Now if they are willing to go back to flex schedules, then it is a whole different story. Boy would I LOVE to go back to that!!!

I did contact the labor board and here is what - they told me

[ In Reply To ..]
They said, because I am a remote worker, I am free to do other enjoyable things during these wait times, and therefore they do not have to pay me.

Here is what I don't understand... how can they consider anything I do inbetween jobs enjoyable? And who determines what is enjoyable?

I think a waitress could paint her nails while waiting for a table and that is enjoyable, but yet they get paid for it because they have to wait... but wait a minute, if I paint my nails I don't get paid because I have to wait also? What???

Somehow these rules/laws have to change.

Free to do enjoyable things? I don't think so as - enjoyable might be going to

[ In Reply To ..]
the beach, going shopping, leaving the house. We're apparently expecting to remain within chained distance of the computer, so how is that free ?

On the other hand, free to do enjoyable things could be interpreted as not required to wait for work and punching out and excused abscence without pay?

When I sign off I sign off for the day - and LWOP...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
thats my enjoyable thing..contacting the labor board about that. I understand the lack of work, I understand that I may choose PTO, but I will not be forced to use my leave and screw up a vacation I have planned, not gonna happen.

Maybe that person didn't know... - what they were talking about.

[ In Reply To ..]
I think a lot people got misinformation about TAA too depending on who they spoke with.

They knew what they were talking about. - checked the law

[ In Reply To ..]
I searched and found the law. It is a federal law. Our conundrum is we are remote workers.

Now... As far being required to "make up" time, I don't know if that is legal.

that's what my guy said too - I dont think they get it

[ In Reply To ..]
and when I call back I'm going to say well look, would YOU like to work till midnight every day to try to get your 8 hours in?

ILLEGAL - sickandtired

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, but what if you are sitting at your desk reading a book waiting for work to come? Also what about firemen? They are in-house during their shifts but they can do many things while waiting for the alarm? I think you need to talk to someone else. What about the attorney general?

I too contacted the DOL and got squat... - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told by the DOL that I could not prove I was sitting at my desk waiting for work and not off doing something else, therefore I was not actually waiting for work no matter how long I sat there so I kept track off all my hours and lines per day and sent it all to the DOL and still got screwed. I was never paid any back wages. So I quit!

ILLEGAL - sickandtired

[ In Reply To ..]
Look at your labor laws. Waiting to work versus engaged to work!

Similar Messages:

Seen Posted Here Before That It Is Illegal To Pay Someone PTO
Apr 23, 2013

are paid on production.  Does anybody here know anything about this?  We have shown them they cant make us lie on timesheets, they have to pay at least minimum wage.  Now can we show them they have to calculate our PTO in a more fair fashion?  ...

Isn't It Illegal Not To Be Paid For Overtime Or
Jan 03, 2010

required telephone conferences?  ...

Illegal Not To Pay Independent Contractors
Dec 13, 2010

Is it illegal not to pay independent contractors twice a month.  It was agreed to in the hiring process? ...

Illegal? Unethical? Shady?
Mar 05, 2012

So "Perry" has a job on the job board.  You essentially give them leads from accounts you work on and they will try and underbid your current employer.  Guess they never heard of a confidentiality agreement, ethics, etc. ...

Inscribe Illegal Employer
Jun 05, 2014

Only hiring I.C.'s? Inscribe is full of it! It costs more upfront to be a 1099, and helps them evade paying taxes. There is tremendous liability on top of it. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW! *see link. http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/2013reports/201330058fr.pdf ...

Now Its Recognizing Illegal Drug Use,,,lol
Jun 25, 2014

dictated: Pain is slightly improved with Vicodin (then doc shuffling papers). typed: Pain is slightly improved with Vicodin off the street ...

Psoriatic Illegal Arthritis?
Aug 15, 2014

This is exactly what the dictator is saying, is this a thing? ...

Isnt It Illegal For A Potential Employer To Ask Your Age?
Nov 16, 2009

Have any of you had the feeling you weren't getting callbacks from employers you applied with because of your age?  I've been getting that feeling, and I thought that discrimination based on age, among other things, was illegal. So of course, the answer would be to just not fill in your date of birth, right?  Well, lately I've applied at a few places where the ONLY way to apply was online.  I had actually called them because I wanted to either come in and fill out ...

Company Tactics; Unethical, But Not Illegal.
Mar 02, 2012

I am starting to see a trend here with companies hiring MTs at 6 cpl enticing them with easy doctors, tons of work, and once off of QA "you are bumped up to 7 to 7.5 cpl."  When asked, "Typically, how long does it take to get off of QA?"  The answer always is, "No one is ever on QA for more than 2 weeks or we let them, go...1-2 days typically."  What tends to happen after the first day or two, they begin to add the worst dictators to the pool, thus making it mo ...

Time Outside Production - Isn't It Illegal To Require This?
Feb 13, 2014

New to Nuance, swallowed up when they acquired my employer at the end of 2013.  I see they really expect you to spend a lot of time doing things outside your schedule, training, reading manuals, etc.  Other than a flat rate for installing and learning software (20 minutes, actually took twice that), they don't offer to pay for all this extra time.  Seems excessive.  Has anyone tracked this extra time and filed a complaint with DOL about it?  Or tried to clock into W ...

On-shore US Illegal Activities By Indian IT Companies
Nov 25, 2009

Related to the US transcriptionists issues with work offshoring to Indian companies, is this article series about Indian owned/run companies in the Information Technology field pulling illegal activities right here in the US in order to save money.  http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034732629.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034738024.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034736588.htm Given that these owners would d ...

Do You Capitalize Illegal Drugs Such As Cocaine, Heroin, Etc?
Dec 08, 2011

or do you leave them in lower case.  I know you capitalized brand names and lower case on generics, but what about street drugs, always wondered that?  TIA ...

Is It "illegal" For Companies To Hire ICs To Do Their VA Work?
Mar 22, 2010

Just wondering.  Thank you! ...