A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Isn't it illegal not to be paid for overtime or - SM

Posted: Jan 03, 2010

required telephone conferences? 

You should be compensated for both... sm - 17yearMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If it is work-related in nature and you are a FT employee yes... company meeting time i.e. phone conference and OT are both compensable

OT - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
OT is only paid if you have met your minimum line requirement and then keep working and since you are considered production, so companies don't have to pay it. Depends on the state. Most companies will not pay you over time if you only did 200 lines that day, but worked 12 hours. Also, not all companies pay for telephone conferences and it is not illegal if they don't. I had one company that did and one that didn't. You need to ask. If they DONT pay OT or telephone time, there is nothing you can do about it.

If they REQUIRE you to be on a telephone call and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
you're an employee, I believe it is the law that they compensate you for that time. Same thing with overtime. If you're an employee & work over 40 hours, now that they require us to fill out time cards, then they're supposed to pay OT for anything over 40. It's a law for good reason -- the way our industry is going, with the pay getting lower and lower, can't you see the huge potential for abuse? They could keep lowering our rates & insisting we work 24/7 because we 'haven't met our quota.' I'm wondering what companies do this to their employees? It might be beneficial to others to know.
OT - westmt
[ In Reply To ..]
That's correct as the last poster states. According to the Fair Labor Standard Act, regardless if you are paid on production, if you are an employee, you must make at least minimum wage. How can you not be paid for a required telephone call? That is working! So many MTs believe that we should only be compensated for the lines we produce. This isn't true when working for a company.

I just wonder how much $$ is made because of this.

Nope - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
READ THE LAWS. These companies abuse the wage and hour laws to the hilt. There are federal laws AND state laws. Companies need to pay you at least minimmum wage by the hour. If you type 200 lines in 12 hours, you need to be paid min wage for that time. You need to be paid for ALL HOURS WORKED. Google production rate laws and get educated. Time for this nonsense to stop.

Check YOUR state laws regarding OT. If you are a - Becca

[ In Reply To ..]
FT employee and on the clock, they must follow YOUR STATE laws regarding OT. Some states have much more generous laws when it comes to OT requirements (California comes to mind). If you're required on a phone conference, that should be included in your time keeping and if it pushes you into OT, then so be it.

Similar Messages:

Do We Get Paid For Overtime Hours?
Aug 06, 2012

I have a few hours of OT on my timesheet.  I know we get paid by the line and holiday incentives but what if we have OT hours?   ...

ILLEGAL
Sep 02, 2013

A company cannot REQUIRE an employee to sit in front of a computer and check for work and NOT compensate them for their time. Common sense. Call your labor board. Now if they are willing to go back to flex schedules, then it is a whole different story. Boy would I LOVE to go back to that!!! ...

Seen Posted Here Before That It Is Illegal To Pay Someone PTO
Apr 23, 2013

are paid on production.  Does anybody here know anything about this?  We have shown them they cant make us lie on timesheets, they have to pay at least minimum wage.  Now can we show them they have to calculate our PTO in a more fair fashion?  ...

Illegal Not To Pay Independent Contractors
Dec 13, 2010

Is it illegal not to pay independent contractors twice a month.  It was agreed to in the hiring process? ...

Illegal? Unethical? Shady?
Mar 05, 2012

So "Perry" has a job on the job board.  You essentially give them leads from accounts you work on and they will try and underbid your current employer.  Guess they never heard of a confidentiality agreement, ethics, etc. ...

Inscribe Illegal Employer
Jun 05, 2014

Only hiring I.C.'s? Inscribe is full of it! It costs more upfront to be a 1099, and helps them evade paying taxes. There is tremendous liability on top of it. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW! *see link. http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/2013reports/201330058fr.pdf ...

Now Its Recognizing Illegal Drug Use,,,lol
Jun 25, 2014

dictated: Pain is slightly improved with Vicodin (then doc shuffling papers). typed: Pain is slightly improved with Vicodin off the street ...

Psoriatic Illegal Arthritis?
Aug 15, 2014

This is exactly what the dictator is saying, is this a thing? ...

Isnt It Illegal For A Potential Employer To Ask Your Age?
Nov 16, 2009

Have any of you had the feeling you weren't getting callbacks from employers you applied with because of your age?  I've been getting that feeling, and I thought that discrimination based on age, among other things, was illegal. So of course, the answer would be to just not fill in your date of birth, right?  Well, lately I've applied at a few places where the ONLY way to apply was online.  I had actually called them because I wanted to either come in and fill out ...

Company Tactics; Unethical, But Not Illegal.
Mar 02, 2012

I am starting to see a trend here with companies hiring MTs at 6 cpl enticing them with easy doctors, tons of work, and once off of QA "you are bumped up to 7 to 7.5 cpl."  When asked, "Typically, how long does it take to get off of QA?"  The answer always is, "No one is ever on QA for more than 2 weeks or we let them, go...1-2 days typically."  What tends to happen after the first day or two, they begin to add the worst dictators to the pool, thus making it mo ...

Time Outside Production - Isn't It Illegal To Require This?
Feb 13, 2014

New to Nuance, swallowed up when they acquired my employer at the end of 2013.  I see they really expect you to spend a lot of time doing things outside your schedule, training, reading manuals, etc.  Other than a flat rate for installing and learning software (20 minutes, actually took twice that), they don't offer to pay for all this extra time.  Seems excessive.  Has anyone tracked this extra time and filed a complaint with DOL about it?  Or tried to clock into W ...

On-shore US Illegal Activities By Indian IT Companies
Nov 25, 2009

Related to the US transcriptionists issues with work offshoring to Indian companies, is this article series about Indian owned/run companies in the Information Technology field pulling illegal activities right here in the US in order to save money.  http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034732629.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034738024.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034736588.htm Given that these owners would d ...

Do You Capitalize Illegal Drugs Such As Cocaine, Heroin, Etc?
Dec 08, 2011

or do you leave them in lower case.  I know you capitalized brand names and lower case on generics, but what about street drugs, always wondered that?  TIA ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Not Getting Overtime Pay???
Feb 21, 2011

I work second shift, so, due to the time change from PST to CST, after 10 pm my time, the last hour of my shift shows up as the next day. I worked 1.5 hours this morning and then my regular 2:30-11 pm shift, so I figure I should be paid for 1.5 hours overtime, but my calculated time (I recently discovered this on the current time card page) shows me as only getting credit for 0.5 hours overtime with 8 RT (Regular time) + 0.5 OT hours showing up on Sunday and then 1 hour showing up on Monday as ...

The VP Wants Us To Do Overtime!
Mar 12, 2012

Wow!  The actual VP of the company wants us to do overtime this week!  I thought for sure with that AWESOME incentive we had over the weekend that there would be absolutely no work this week!  ...

Overtime As An IC????
May 08, 2012

I got an e-mail last week saying OT was required during the upcoming weekend.  Wow!  What's up with that?  I'm an IC and part time at that.  Crazy!   ...

M*M Overtime
Jun 16, 2012

Is OT calculated on ONLY the work week OT was worked? or both weeks of the pay period, even if one did not have any OT. Or, based on 3 months worth, etc. Thanks. ...

Overtime Pay????
Dec 04, 2014

Once in a while I get a chance to work overtime, but I don't see anything about overtime pay.  So, did they quit paying overtime?  ...

Overtime
Apr 02, 2015

need overtime AGAIN?  Sure thing, MModal, as soon as you give us back some of that 40% pay you stole from us AND give us back the vacation todays you stole!  Why should we help you when all you do is take take take?  Where are your overseas people you love so much?  ask THEM! ...

NO MORE OVERTIME EVER
May 29, 2015

Got an email that the company will no longer offer any OT at all costs and do not work more than your 40 hours.  That is because they overhired and we do not even have enough for our 40 hours.  I do not get it. ...

AP Overtime
Jun 12, 2015

It seems like at one point we were told that AP cannot pay overtime. This has never been an issue for me before, but with the pressure to work extra recently, I could be heading into overtime territory. Has anyone with AP run into this problem? ...

? About WMX Overtime Assignments
Dec 23, 2009

I know when I call in to have work assigned (OT accounts) they always ask what kind I want.  I usually just tell them "Whatever" and they confirm I do all work types, say thank you and away we go.  Now I am wondering.  Seems like after we have had OT on my accounts the next day there is a MUCH higher than normal ratio of crappy dictators.  Are the people working OT the day/night before allowed to choose to not do those dictators?   I had one of the support staff th ...

Webmedx Overtime
Jan 18, 2010

Just heard Webmedx just paid between $20-40/hr (yes hourly rate!) to service new accounts on an overtime basis.  Can anyone validate this information. ...

Overtime Question
Oct 31, 2013

Is overtime at Nuance considered anything over 40 hours per week or is anything over 8 hours per day?  TIA!     ...

Mandatory Overtime
May 03, 2014

on accounts you have never seen before and likely will never see again.  Last time this happened, I had audits on these reports...and failed them... ...

Overtime Being Offered
Aug 12, 2014

There goes our weekend line count.  ...

Overtime People
Jan 22, 2015

let's get busy folks POD out of TAT and OT offered, WFTL says OT has to be approved by HDSM or TSA... any other abbreviations???  Yes this whole thing was dripping with sarcasm  ...

Love How Everyone Says No Overtime
Feb 23, 2015

Whenever they call, you do it anyway..No wonder we are in the boat we are in. ...

Calculating Overtime
Apr 03, 2015

Not only cut in pay, it seems like the OT is no longer time and a half.  I can't believe the amount of money I have lost.  Anyone know how they figure overtime??   Also, I seemed to notice that whenever we complain about  FIESA, like about them picking short reports, it seems to happen even more.  It makes me think they probably read this forum too and get a good laugh out of it.  Sorry, but I tend to believe they resent us because we make more money than they ...