A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you find it faster to use the mouse - or the ridiculous shortcuts?

Posted: Dec 04, 2011

I know the "push" is to use the shortcuts but it takes me twice as long to remove my hands from the keyboard to reach the arrow keys and alt+shift or ctrl+shift than to just click where I want to go with the mouse.

I was just wondering if it's worth it to retrain myself to use those particular shortcuts. I tried creating my own but they will not work in our system.  The other ones we have are fine but the cursor ones stink.

I agree - CB

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. When I started working on M-Modal, I couldn't believe such a popular platform calls for constantly reaching for the Ctrl and arrow keys. I read some tips from M-Modal and they actually say you should change your home row keys and keep your left hand on the Shift + Ctrl + Alt and your right on the arrows. It makes no sense to me. I ended up re-creating the shortcuts and "magic" keys that were part of Dictaphone Extext (much more efficient - your hands stay on the home keys) and use them in M-Modal. I don't have to use the arrow keys at all. I honestly believe there's no way I'd be able to get my speed up without them. I was editing 500 lph on InstantText and still hoping one day I can reach that on M-Modal. I made shortcuts using two programs: I downloaded the free AutoHotKeys program, and use those the most. I also have InstantText. Since it works within all VR platforms, maybe you can use that to program the short cuts?

go ahead and use it - speedyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I use the mouse as little as possible, what I use are the arrow keys. You can zip along with the arrow keys with your right hand and still have your left hand free to add a comma or period, enter, delete. I know, it's awkward and probably a bad habit, but either way, when you need to add a word or change a word you still need to find the keys.

Even if the "shortcuts" worked (which they don't), - they wouldnt help me because - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm ambidextrous. So for things that would require their "shortcuts", I mouse with one hand and keyboard with the other. (Or write with the other, if I'm doing my work log). Or eat if I'm hungry.

They should leave us alone and just let us do what works best for US.

Thanks for the replies - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I've noticed that the shortcuts don't always work as well. I've also noticed since I posted this question that on reports that require a lot of editing, the cursor placement shortcuts are better than the mouse but on reports that don't require a lot of editing, the mouse is quicker.

OP, definitely dump the mouse, learn to use shortcuts, - and MAKE YOUR OWN SHORTCUTS

[ In Reply To ..]
for theirs. No Ctrl +alt + whatever to turn on numbering: rename it OO. F to toggle a letter from lower to upper case and vice versa, a short version of whatever collection of 3 keys they assigned. My shortcut for bouncing the cursor back to the dictation is AA. QQ jumps the dictation to wherever the cursor is. I don't even remember what keys they are short forms for, but both were pure muscle memory after a very little practice.

Similar Messages:

Faster! Faster! No Mouse Clicks Allowed!
Mar 17, 2013

Right when you think MM (Merciless Master) couldn't possibly come up with a new way to add stress to your job, they make you install a software that counts your mouse clicks! My friends who still work in hospitals wouldn't believe this! Okay, I've seen everything in this business now. ...

I'll Get A Faster Answer From Here Than If I Ask My CCM...
Jul 31, 2012

While training on Docqscribe 7.1, do we get paid hourly or straight transcription rate with a little extra for training? ...

Gee Doc...can You Mumble Any Faster?
Dec 17, 2012

Im used to this once in a while,,but the majority of them are doing it today,,,or Im going deaf.. ...

We Know We Are Pressuring You To Go Faster
Oct 18, 2013

and you'd better straighten up or we will PERFORMANCE MANAGE YOU!! So sick of being treated like I'm in kindergarten.  Yaw-Hoo, getting PM'd by a TSM who has never been an MT ...

MAKES ME A FASTER TRANSCRIPTIONIST/NOT!
Mar 09, 2011

Here's how easy my job is with ASR.  "Fifth once assistance of 99 ounces peritoneum 29-774 mg of 1-1/2 ml."  It's gonna be a great day.     ...

Our Work Is Going Off Shore Faster Than You Can Imagine
Feb 25, 2010

Our work is going off shore faster than you can imagine.  According to posts, I see we are wondering about the lack of work, in many cases for over a year.  We are behind in getting info on this.  Google off-shore transcription or any words that will get you the info.  The information is plentiful.  Many articles state the hospitals are unaware that work is going off shore.  They just dictate, assume it goes to a central system in the states and we sit behind our desks and have so much wor ...

M-Modal - Anyone Found A Way To Make It Faster?
Jun 25, 2010

Wondering if anyone has been able to find a way to make M-Modal go faster or if it is just hopeless.  The software can be extremely slow and bogs down a lot, especially if you increase the speed or choose to optimize the playback to skip over blank spots (dictator not talking) in the dictation.  I increased the RAM on my computer with what my employer provided when we first switched over to the software, but it is still so much slower than our previous software.  Has any ...

Anyone Have Any Helpful Hints/suggestions For How To Go Faster
Jul 16, 2013

Since the report is already typed and we are just editing I know I should be going faster than I am.  Sometimes I spend as much time as I do if it was regular typing, but I know I should be going faster.  Do people go faster on VR and if so do you have any suggestions that will help. Thanks, ...

Do You Think You Can Talk Any Faster? I Actually Understood A Word!
Nov 14, 2014

Doc was saying the silver alginate was doing a good job, so he will continue the patient on "surovnick."  "Surovnick?"  I spent approximately 20 minutes looking for all brand names of silver alginate, googling every possible spelling of the word.  THEN realized he was actually saying - - silver alginate really fast.   Lets see, how many lines could I have typed in that 20 minutes?  Even after I realized what he had said, it still sounded like surovnick to me! ...

Tricks To Faster Speech Recognition Editing?
Aug 14, 2011

I have been straight transcribing for many moons. Then got into doing QA and a lot of the reports I get are straight editing of speech recognition rather than doing QA. My production stinks when I do straight editing and have no idea how those of you that edit speech recognition all day make a living. Kudos to YOU! I am one of the probably few QA who really appreciates you MT's who make our jobs easier and do AMAZING jobs transcribing what I can't even QA. Thank you for your hard work ...

Hey Where's My Mouse Pad?
May 21, 2010

Anbody get there's yet?   Guess MT week is over, and still no present.  Oh well.  The Q really knows how to make you feel special.  .  ...

Trying To Use The Mouse Less
Feb 17, 2011

Got an e-mail suggesting I use my mouse less.  Does anyone know how to use keystrokes for spelling suggestions instead of the right click mouse?  I've become so paranoid that my production has plummeted over the last week...  ~ scaredy-mouse  ...

Are We Not Even Going To Get A Mug Or Mouse
May 20, 2014

pad for MT week?  I got a card from my supervisor ~ generic card ~ and she didn't even sign her name to it.   I at least want a coffee mug!!!! ...

Mouse Clicks?
Feb 17, 2011

Hi.  I've been reading postings about your mouse clicks being monitored.  What is that about?  Why would they do that?  What does that signify? ...

Wireless Mouse
Dec 01, 2011

I am just wondering if any of you are using a wireless mouse and how they are working for you?  I currently use a wired mouse and have for centuries.  Since I use mine more than most people, it seems, they do not last.  I am having difficulty finding wired mouse any longer due to being outdated.  I am hesitant in getting a wireless because wireless tends to slow me down with a second of lag.  Those seconds add up and I am just wondering how beneficial they are.  Any ...

New Computer, New Mouse, Tried Several USB
Nov 15, 2012

ports and the mouse will not scroll at all. What could be the cause. Using Vista. Never had this issue before. Thanks to all. ...

The Dreaded Mouse
Mar 15, 2014

Am I doing something wrong?  I notice with the 7.4 Fluency that there is no other choice but to use your mouse to travel up and down between patient visits.  The arrow key doesn't work, the tab key doesn't work.  Are they now pro mouse? ...

Mouse Wi A Mind Of Its Own
Mar 27, 2014

My mouse seems to have a mind of its own.  Keep skipping all over on me.  Is this a virus or the mouse?? ...

Mouse Clicks
Nov 12, 2014

My number of mouse clicks is over 500/hr.  I'm not doing anything unusual or different than I do every other day. System is wack. ...

Wireless Keyboard And Mouse?
Nov 09, 2010

Does anyone else feel more comfortable with a wireless set up? What keyboard and mouse do you have? ...

Somebody Cares About My Mouse Clicks!
Feb 11, 2011

I just got my second DEP ASR Productivity Results.  If the person that has time to count mouse clicks, time spent away from keyboard, etc is reading this, then answer this, why don't you take into account time spent reading multiple client profiles, time spent reading sample reports to get information, etc?  Do you not expect us to leave our chairs occasionally?  I personally am more suited to using my mouse.  A lot of the shortcuts just didn't work as well for me.& ...

Got The Report On Mouse Clicks.
Feb 15, 2011

I guess I am truly stupid.  The numbers mean nothing to me.  On my report they are gauged against nothing -- just with a goal to "improve."  My lines were 197 per hour (which is incorrect and too high) and I guess my "corrected" number if I was worth my salt and editing properly is 297.  Most confusing document they have sent me thus far.  I would be angrier probably IF I COULD UNDERSTAND IT.  ...

Key Strokes Vs Mouse Clicks
Apr 12, 2011

I got an email giving all the figures of how many keystrokes I had during a certain period of time (can't remember when for sure) and inactive time in an ASR job, etc.  Do many of you only use the keyboard and not the mouse?  I've tried to learn all the keyboard functions and for me it's a lot easier to use the mouse and I don't think that has slowed me down any.  They're not telling me not to use the mouse but instead showing how many more keystrokes ...

Mouse Or Keyboard Functions
Mar 21, 2013

On Enterprise Voice Recognition, are you a "mouser" or keyboarder?  I have tried and tried to use the keyboard, but just can't get it down.  I have been using a mouse so long, it is a hard habit to break. Anyone have any ideas?  Need to bring my speed up on Voice. ...

Companies That Don't Nag You When You Use Mouse On V.R. Reports
Mar 28, 2014

I'm looking for a company that leaves you alone if you choose to use the mouse and foot pedal instead of keystrokes.  My experience with eScription was horrible, in that I was constantly getting little messages saying "This is how often you used the mouse," demanding that I use the keystrokes.  Is every V.R. platform like this? ...

Does Anyone Use The Mouse More Than Keyboard Commands
Nov 24, 2014

I know we are pressured to use only the keyboard--I guess bc it may be faster...not sure about that...but I just can't get used to that.  I'm faster using the mouse, especially when navigating around a speech wreck report.  Anyone else like this?  Do they really care how we get it done?  Has anyone ever gotten dinged by using the mouse too much instead of keyboard commands?  I am sure they can tell exactly what we do on the keyboard.  ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Question About Mouse Clicks When Needing To
Feb 20, 2011

I understand that mouse clicks are monitored because MQ encourages the use of hot keys, but what about needing to use the mouse to reference Google or MT bookmarked sites?  Is that not allowed?  Does a person need a second computer for that? ...

Mouse Does Not Work In Extext- Any Fixes
Aug 12, 2012

Cannot get my mouse to work with Extext.  I am using Word 2003 and Windows XP ...

Strange Happenings With Keyboard/mouse?
Dec 06, 2013

I know as long as I have done this type of work not me but unusual and wondering if any others noticed such. I can be working on VR and try to go and make a correction, be on the line where I want to enter something and yet when I do the correction will wind up 2 or 3 lines above. This drives me nuts! I don't know if mouse, keyboard but have used both for sometime now. Any suggestions? ...