A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

It's just amazing that a company filled with - supposedly such smart

Posted: Jul 28, 2013

people can be so stupid, or oblivious, to the fact that they have an over-abundance of MTs during the week that run out of work on a constant basis but, on the weekends, work is over-flowing to the tune of "help help help".

Can they not figure out that if they would cough up just a few more cents a line for someone to cover weekend shifts, and offer it IN HOUSE first, that this all could be eliminated?  Of course, I don't know why it amazes me.  These people never were in the transcription business.  They just saw where they could make incredible money to stick in their deep pockets and bleed it until it was gone. 

And the team leads....wouldn't you think they would get tired of begging and pleading all weekend long for someone to "save them"?  I know that if I were a team lead, I would be screaming my head off to the people above me in management to figure it out, that scheduling is a nightmare, that there has to be a better way...of course, I probably wouldn't have a job either because I would be livid by now. 

Welp....I'm done with this place.  I was with MedQuist for TEN YEARS.  Happy as a bug in a rug in the beginning years.  Then, voice recognition hit them and I hung on for as long as I possibly could stand it, waaaay longer than any of my coworkers, hoping it would change, it would get better, but when a job starts becoming that much of a stress factor in your life....well....it's just not worth it anymore.  Much like this one with Nuance.  It's just not worth it anymore.  It's not getting better, it's getting worse, day after day after day after day.

I've tried, I've changed my schedule to what you said would give me the most work, I've changed the DAYS I work, again, because of what you said.  I've offered to learn new accounts, I've learned over 15.  You promised me, "hang on just a couple more days, we've got a new account going live" over and over and over again.  Yup, another new account, another set of account specs to learn on top of the 15 I already have and there's no work in those either.  And, if there is, it lasts for about 2 days and then mysteriously disappears.  Nope nope nope....I'm done with my husband paying all the bills.  HE is done spending his well-earned retirement money on all of the household bills.  It's not fair to him for me to stay here....It's not fair TO ME!

I put in an application with Precyse a few days ago.  I learned that I got the job this past Friday.  Here I go again, switching companies again, this will be the 4th in 5 years.  I've never switched jobs like this in my life.  Never.  I just hope, wish, and pray this is the last one until I can retire in 2016.

Everyone here sticking it out, good luck.  I really really hope that it settles down and Nuance figures out how to manage people and schedules and realizes that they MUST pay some money to make money.  My advice to all of you....when you run out of work, clock out.  Go about your day.  Check in the next day, if there's no work, clock out again.  Don't check your email every hour.  Make them call you.  If there's work and it's still during your shift, then you gotta work.  If it's outside your shift, don't work it.  When they're begging for help on the weekends?  Just don't.  And I know it hurts...you really really need the money you can get on the weekends.  I do understand.  But, if you keep this up like you're doing, pretty soon you won't have a life at all.  Nuance will own it.  Nuance probably already owns your life if you can make it only by scrambling for weekend work only. 

Again, good luck, stay strong, don't let them insult your integrity and skills, or let them drag you down. 

Its just the reality of this job, it s____s I know. I hope everyone who wants out is able to. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I told myself, too, that it was reality of the job - I even told other people

[ In Reply To ..]
it was just the "nature of the beast", but I've stopped believing that. As I said, I was at MedQuist for 10 years and went through most all of their growing pains with voice recognition. Probably, if I'd stayed just an itty bit longer, it would have gotten better. They were a great company to work for when I started with them. In fact, I owned my own MT service for 3 years before that and my 6 girls and I decided to join them as a group. MQ was a GOOD place. I also hear several people talk about how much better MQ is now than Nuance....

Anyway...as I was saying...I think this is Nuance's reality right now. They were never MT people. They didn't start out as a transcription business. Maybe, just maybe, once they get through their growing pains with voice recognition, it will change. But, I can't wait that long and I can't go through that again.

In summary, it's a reality, for sure. But it's Nuance reality, not mine. Not anymore.

Like you, I hope that everyone who wants out is able to do so, but if they stay, I hope things get better before they suck the life clear out of you.

I could've written this post...sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I work Tues through Saturday, normally... BUT for months (about 6 months) I worked EVERY single weekend because our account was so short-staffed. I was promised that it would only be for a few months, and those few months turned into another and then another and then another.

When someone was FINALLY hired and trained so that the account was at least staffed for the Sundays and Mondays, I got my regular Tuesday through Saturday schedule back. Prior to that the only days I had off were Tuesday and Wednesday (IF it wasn't so busy that they could do without me).

The VERY FIRST week that I was back in my regular schedule, when the Sunday rolled around, my phone started ringing... Yep, you guessed it, "can you please give us a few hours? We are really in dire straits, yada yada yada." You know, my very first thought was, "Why tell me I can go back to my regular schedule if you're just going to take it away from me before I even have a chance to enjoy ONE dang Sunday with my family?"

I love my TSM. She is really a fantastic person and very good at being a TSM, and so I agreed to help out for that Sunday... Then I was called the next Sunday, then the Monday, and it was like a rollercoaster.

I finally had enough when I realized I had been working something like 15 days in a row without a day off and AGAIN on a Sunday my phone rang and there was the question of the day (can you help us out today, even if it's only for a few hours?). I simply said, "no, I'm sorry. I'm burnt out and haven't had a day off in 15 days. I just can't do it anymore. I'm so tired that I don't even have the energy to spend time with my daughters." And I haven't been asked since, at least not outright with a phone call... Lots of hints, but never asked directly. :)

I have offered on occasion when I know that no one else is going to do it, because it is normally for nighttime hours. I like working nighttime hours, but most people prefer to work during the day. Now, I only offer when I need some extra cash to help pad for the days that are OOW or so slow I can't even make enough to equate minimum wage.

If I clock in and there is no work available, I am not checking back every 15 minutes. No one is paying me for babysitting my computer, and that is a fact. I find something else to do for a couple of hours and check back later. There is no way in hell that I am going to sit here and watch my computer screen so I can snatch the first job that shows up in the queue and then have to wait, wait, and wait for the next one. I feel like a vulture for crying out loud!

Nuance requires me to be an employee and requires me to work a set schedule, then they should be able to provide me with work to do DURING my set schedule. I'm not working outside my set schedule because someone higher up tells me I HAVE to. I'll do it if I FEEL like it or WANT to, but otherwise I'm working my hours and after that, Nuance doesn't exist until I have to come back and log onto my computer.

Six months and I am quitting this horrifying job that has turned into a waking nightmare. Six months is all I have to last for. If I didn't have bills to pay right now, I would have already told them where they could put this supposedly fantastic position and supposedly "competitive" pay rate...

I surely hope that the greedy corporate higher up people who are living the high life on our dime one day get knocked off and completely out of their dreamy world and into reality. I think a good dose of working in one of our positions for months on end without any time off and no money to have fun with might just teach them a lesson, and I think that the "incentive" for them should be that if they succeed at what we do and can produce a certain amount of lines in a certain amount of time, then they'll get ALL of their riches back, BUT if they can't, then oh well... They'll just have to keep grasping for that incentive to get back on easy street...just like they are trying to make us do by offering bonuses and devising some kind of stupid loophole that ensures we will never get it..

God sits high and looks low... They will get theirs in the end... In the meantime, I'm going to live happily ever after, even if I have to do it poverty stricken!

Precyse is better than Nuance. I didn't run out of work - every day. But. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They will hound you to death over production and then they will attack you for having mistakes because they are hounding you to go faster...

The software literally stinks. It is so bad that every other software I have ever used is better, both in the sound quality and the actual word processing. On the two accounts I work with the sound quality was probably 20% as clear as what is produced by EditScript. You have to punch an ADP time clock, which I won't do, not if I work by the line.

I couldn't function under all those demands and handicaps and was only there 6 months, but if you can, they pay better than all the rest per line and the people I worked with were pretty good. Its just that constant prodding to go faster and then punishment for making mistakes because of going faster is a real problem. This propensity for companies to be slave drivers is really going to be their undoing. There aren't enough people who can produce 500 lph at 99% accuracy or people who are willing to sit in one place for a strict 8 hours and produce 350 lph day after day. That time clock got to be a real problem. Also, when they run out of work, they REQUIRE you to make up the hours. And they run out just enough that it digs into your time off.

Honestly, in my opinion, I believe Precyse will be one of the last companies that people still actually want to work for because with all its faults, its better than the rest. That's pretty bad.

Really, many accounts just need someone for the weekends, --sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Hiring somebody who will also work during the week at all is just going to continue fighting for work on those days. On the accounts I work on, they seem to have gotten better about coverage on the weekends, now it is almost too good. Sunday and Monday used to be my favorite day because there was more work. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. They do need to enforce the rule of everybody needing to work one weekend day with the exception of the clinic accounts.

I can honestly say that it seems no matter what company I worked for, the staffing was never very good.

Low work or no work - on weekends

[ In Reply To ..]
may mean your account is being offshored, just weekends at first as a prelude to offshoring the whole thing. That is happening now in one Nuance region.

Similar Messages:

Doesn't Company Hiring IC Need SS And 1099 Filled Out?
Sep 26, 2012

Hi, I am new to the independent contractor thing, but shouldn't a company that has "hired" you as an independent contrator have your SS and a 1099 filled out by you?   Just wondering as it seems to me this is necessary and since it is not being done, it makes me wonder about this company that much more, espcially since others have stated they have not been paid by this company.   I guess if they are not planning on paying me they don't need a 1099 or SS# huh?  ...

Amazing!
Sep 23, 2014

DICTATED: Inferior turbinate hypertrophy. VR: Murder. DICTATED: She was taken to the recovery room in stable condition. VR: She was taken to the recovery room in worse condition. ...

Amazing MQ Perk
Mar 12, 2010

There's actually a benefit working for Medquist - incredible - I bought an Android phone through Sprint this week, and they looked up Medquist for a possible monthly discount - and my mouth dropped open - it's 25% off the monthly price - is that my 3 cents back I wondered (NOT). So if you have a cellphone find out if you can get the Medquist discount - and the dude in the store said this is for the life of the contract (I hope he's right) ...

Went To Job Vent. That Is Amazing.
Nov 01, 2010

I have visited twice before and there were multiple postings -- all really negative and very accurate with what was going on.  Now there are only about 5 postings and all positive -- none from 2010, some from 2008.  What the heck? ...

Acusis Is Amazing
Dec 27, 2013

This company is amazing.  They pay us to read emails that come in from management/TLs.  They have a space on the time card where you put in your time to read emails.  What company does that?  On top of that, no ugly emails, EVER.  I love this company!! ...

Amazing That We Know Terminology For
Jun 17, 2014

I'm sure most doctors can't hold a candle to our knowledge of terminology for the dozens of specialities out there, including surgical terms.  Are we underpaid or what?? ...

The Amazing Management Minds ...sm
Mar 25, 2011

so, they disable cut/paste so we can't outside DQS on our computers, then enable it again until they figure out what to do -- all in the name of making this more HIPAA compliant/secure ---  but there's no concern with records going to foreign countries?  Genius ...

Anyone Get A Contract From MedScribe . . . Amazing!
May 09, 2013

I got a contract with this company and have never seen anything like it.  Their performance rating/expectations outline is the most condenscending, tryannical thing I have ever read.  I bet military rules are more lax than this company.  They give you a 12-hour window but then say you cannot leave your computer for more than 30 minutes 3 times a day.  Then even go on to explain you can't go to a party, grocery shopping, go to the gym, school event, social gathering, bake ...

Amazing Difference In 2 Companies
Mar 11, 2015

It is amazing how I can work for 2 companies and one of them treats me like crap and makes me feel like I do not know to type even though I am in my 23rd year of doing this.  The other company just sent me my last audit for 6 times the amount of lines audited by Nuance and they found 4 minor errors, bunches of good job no error and 1 major error.  I am not as stupid as Nuance thinks I am and also the account I type on for my other job is mainly ESL and is quite frustrating but I do wel ...

Simply Amazing, We Are To Depend On Email
Oct 02, 2013

that little spinny thing has been spinning for half hour..Closed it out and tried again and the spinny thing keeps on spinning..You would think they could do better..And Windows Live Mail sends a message server refused to connect.. ...

QA Or QC Or Whatever Filled In The Following
Jan 30, 2015

I had:  _______ ischemic changes.  I couldn't make out the word directly before (seriously slurring ESL). The blank was filled in with "anicteric."  ????  Is there such a thing as anicteric ischemic changes?  I can't find reference this this anywhere.  I want to make sure before I try to reverse this.  ...

I Just Filled Out The Survey.
Dec 17, 2012

just goes directly into the trash, or if anyone actually reads it?   ...

Bile Filled Vertebra?
Sep 20, 2011

working on an x-ray of the spine and it sounds exacty like he is saying bile filled vertebra.  Doesn't make sense to me and I cannot find it.  ...

MM: Where's My Chocolate-filled Mug And T-shirt?
Sep 05, 2013

I was reading the newsletter....employees in Philippines with MM t-shirts and mugs filled with chocolate.  What do we get? A big fat nothing, sitting here waiting for work to come in. I can't believe I actually went to school for this (many years ago).  Actually, keep your mugs and t-shirts -- I would prefer a raise...and some WORK!!  ...

Why Is Erroneous Information Filled In By QC?
Feb 27, 2015

If a doctor says something that a third grader would know is nonsense and the MLS leaves a blank, why does the QC person fill it in? We're supposed to use critical thinking skills, but yet they fill in something stupid when it's blatantly wrong. Then, we get an email with all kinds of information regarding normal laboratory values and we are supposed to use critical thinking skills for all that and determine when it is normal or abnormal. Oh, I'm still waiting for my MD degree t ...

What Happens To Reports With All The Blanks In Them? Are They Filled In By Hand? .
Apr 02, 2010

Do they actually go into the chart like that?  I'm sure nobody retypes the reports with the corrections in them, so how does that pass the Joint Commission's inspection? ...

Filled Out Online Application For Keystrokes
Jun 16, 2011

Does anyone know how long it will take them to respond?  Just curious, I am very interested in a few positions they listed open and am eager to hear if I qualify! ...

TransTech Medical - All Positions Filled?
Mar 11, 2012

Got an e-mail from TransTech that the positions for the rad MT job posting on the Job Seeker's Board dated 3/6/2012 are filled, however, the posting is still listed here, so not sure what the real deal is.   I'm sure someone from their company will see this post then remove the ad.  But, I do wonder if they just don't want to hire and pay a good line rate for an experienced MT.  If anyone else applied for this posting, did you also receive that e-mail? ...

Has Anyone Ever Filled Out A Form 4562 For Taxes
Apr 01, 2012

I bought a computer that I used for work (100% work, nothing else).  I know I file 4562, section 179, but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out where I am supposed to put the information.  It's just the computer and nothing else.  I read that I do not have to depreciate this, it falls under eligible property.  Just confused where to put the info. I'm filling out the forms by hand.  I absolutely hate hate hate Turbo tax and two years ago H&R blo ...

Would You Put Quotes Around The Specific Name Of A Form The Patient Filled Out?
Nov 16, 2009

If the doctor is having the patient fill out a specific form and they name that specific form would it have quotes around it? ...

Foley Catheter Balloon Was Filled With A 50:50 Mix Of S/l "contrite" And Saline. Prep For
Jun 30, 2010

:) ...

Viva Transcription-I Filled Out Info For MT Recruiters And Got A Call From Viva Wanting To Buy MT Co
Jan 06, 2010

nm ...

Uterus Filled With S/l "softan" Material....
Jun 12, 2013

The bladder was attached to an enlarged uterine mass, and the opening of the uterus revealed it to be filled with cloudy s/l softan material.   TIA! ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

Amazing How This "huge Hospital System That Never Runs Out Of Work" Has Run Out Of Work Sm
Aug 12, 2012

has run out of work yet again, from last night and still this morning.  Stupid me for believing the promises of a recruiter.   ...

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

I Want To Find A Different Company, But My Fear Is That MQ Will Only Swallow That Company
Jul 15, 2011

up and I'd be back at square one, making no more than their "maximums."  I wonder, are this new maximum pay going to stay the same (or lower)?  I mean, in 5 or 10 years (if we are still here) will it be the same?  Or less?  I think so. ...

On Company Board, Under Post You Quit A Company
Sep 11, 2011

what's going on? ...

What Would Be An Ideal Company? I Would Like To Build That Company.
Mar 31, 2010

We are a pretty big company, and we think we know what transcriptionists want, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  There are a lot of top people in our industry that are finding themselves without jobs, often without notice, both managers and transcriptionists.  I think that the tide is turning, and that we need to make sure that we treat our people right, so if you could take a few minutes and answer this, maybe we can make a difference.  I am asking for real answers, ones that ar ...

I Wanted To Add A Company To The Bad Company List And
Apr 21, 2012

one to stay away from.  Integrity.  They test you, claim they are checking your references and then when you email asking if they got hold of the references, crickets.  Not a word from them.  This has been a few weeks, too.  If they are this rude just during the recruiting process, I hate to think what working for them would be like. ...