A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Amazing how this "huge hospital system that never runs out of work" has run out of work sm - fooled again

Posted: Aug 12, 2012

has run out of work yet again, from last night and still this morning.  Stupid me for believing the promises of a recruiter.   Frown

Recruiters are all alike, but what I still do not understand - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and never will is WHY they keep hiring if they are already well, if not overstaffed???

If you have been an MT for a while, you know that August is slower than January sometimes. sm - Reality Check

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know where you work, but 25+ years of experience tells me that it is always slow this time of year. It doesn't matter who you work for or which part of the country. It will get busy again in a few weeks.

So just how do they stop people from getting sick or injured - in August? This is crazy, ppl get SM

[ In Reply To ..]
ALL THE TIME. They dont put off getting sick/injured just because of the time of year.

Work directly for a major hospital and it is not slow at all - anonymousmt

[ In Reply To ..]
We are on mandatory overtime; have been for weeks.

work directly for a major hospital... - Faith

[ In Reply To ..]
Makes sense... these MTSOs are a joke for sure... the right hand has no clue what the left hand is doing most of the time and they offer absolutely no job security whatsoever...

BS - BeenThereMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sickness takes no holiday.

These MTSOs are overhiring in order to keep TAT times tight. Some are also sending work to other smaller MTSOs to keep the work caught up. They want the work done almost as soon as it's dictated.

You can bet if MTs/Editors did not work off-site, but were employees like other industries, there would be plenty of work all the time. The MTSOs would be forced to better calculate the reports to MT ratio. They know they can get away with this behavior because the MTs are out of site and listed as ICs inappropriately.

I used to work in-house for three different hospitals (sm) - Been There Also

[ In Reply To ..]
at different times over the years and there was NEVER a slow-down in August. I'm not sure what is going on in this MTSO world but my guess would be contract renewal time or maybe end of the fiscal year. (In fact, August was the end of the fiscal year for one service that I worked for.) If they get everything super caught up, they look good on paper at the expense of the MTs who are running out of work because the accounts are so overstaffed.

Stop, RC. Don't drink that kool-aid..... - Another one believes the hype. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Running on empty - buns

[ In Reply To ..]
Contracted for an MTSO a few years ago and my only account was for a hospital that handled all the trauma cases from a vast, remote region. Every summer for 2 weeks there would be almost no work. Eventually, they went from straight transcription with a great line rate and incentives to VR. It all started with a request for the transcriptionists to complete a mandatory survey with specific questions regarding production, expanders, etc. Things began to smell like rotten fish at that point. Within a short amount of time, the announcement was made how the company was going to save our hands and wrists and change to VR. The new platform was not compatible with what we had been working in so vast amounts of shortcuts were lost. We were told to pretend we were starting over, knowing full well that transcriptionists are able to earn money on an account because we have worked hard to develop shortcuts for particular doctors. We were somehow supposed to be thankful that our ability to be productive was reduced to being a newbie on the account. To add insult to injury, the owner did not mind sharing with us, through his mouthpiece, that he was not sure what the new pay scale would be. He was doing research on VR pay because he did not want to pay us too little or too much!!
Take care of yourself. If possible, keep yourself part time between several MTSOs so you have some options when work is dry, for whatever reason, and you can be more prepared for change when it comes along.

They probably didn't run out of work; the work was - most likely sent OFFSHORE. :(

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

There IS some slow down in summer but not so much to run out of work - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked in house for 30 years and there most definitely IS a slow down in the summer months. This is due to people who plan vacations, have children home from school etc and thus delay surgeries/procedures during this time. It is maybe 10% to 20% (what we were told anyway, and I could observe decreased census numbers) because of course you still get accidents, emergencies, illnesses.

I don't think this should account for the drastic no work situation you are seeing though, IMO, it seems like even with this expected 10-20% decrease there should be work unless they over hired or sent it offshore. Good luck and I hope it picks up!

Similar Messages:

Looking For A Company That Never Runs Out Of Work
Apr 04, 2012

I am looking for a company that never runs out of work.  Is there a company out there like this?  I would like flexibility in my schedule.  No ESLs.  Am I just dreaming of this job that may exist? ...

No, OTI Never Overhires And Never Runs Out Of Work
Jan 16, 2013

Oh but they do.  What a disappointment.  ...

My McAfee Virus Scan Subscription Runs Out
Dec 03, 2009

at the end of December.  I know it is not the best scanner.  Need opinions on what else is out that that is good.  I have heard bad things about Nortoon's.  McAfee and Norton's are really the only 2 that are advertised that you hear about.  Any opinions, suggestions, experiences???   TIA. ...

Can Someone Please Explain How Synernet Constantly Runs Ads And Hires But...
May 06, 2015

Can't seem to fix the "holes" in coverage ? Things don't make sense with the what seems like permanent Overtime things never being managed.  And then the emails of people running low or out of work on some accounts.  I have sent out some resumes to none transcription positions and I pray I can get out of this field. I am so tired of it al . :( ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Amazing!
Sep 23, 2014

DICTATED: Inferior turbinate hypertrophy. VR: Murder. DICTATED: She was taken to the recovery room in stable condition. VR: She was taken to the recovery room in worse condition. ...

Amazing MQ Perk
Mar 12, 2010

There's actually a benefit working for Medquist - incredible - I bought an Android phone through Sprint this week, and they looked up Medquist for a possible monthly discount - and my mouth dropped open - it's 25% off the monthly price - is that my 3 cents back I wondered (NOT). So if you have a cellphone find out if you can get the Medquist discount - and the dude in the store said this is for the life of the contract (I hope he's right) ...

Went To Job Vent. That Is Amazing.
Nov 01, 2010

I have visited twice before and there were multiple postings -- all really negative and very accurate with what was going on.  Now there are only about 5 postings and all positive -- none from 2010, some from 2008.  What the heck? ...

Acusis Is Amazing
Dec 27, 2013

This company is amazing.  They pay us to read emails that come in from management/TLs.  They have a space on the time card where you put in your time to read emails.  What company does that?  On top of that, no ugly emails, EVER.  I love this company!! ...

Amazing That We Know Terminology For
Jun 17, 2014

I'm sure most doctors can't hold a candle to our knowledge of terminology for the dozens of specialities out there, including surgical terms.  Are we underpaid or what?? ...

The Amazing Management Minds ...sm
Mar 25, 2011

so, they disable cut/paste so we can't outside DQS on our computers, then enable it again until they figure out what to do -- all in the name of making this more HIPAA compliant/secure ---  but there's no concern with records going to foreign countries?  Genius ...

Anyone Get A Contract From MedScribe . . . Amazing!
May 09, 2013

I got a contract with this company and have never seen anything like it.  Their performance rating/expectations outline is the most condenscending, tryannical thing I have ever read.  I bet military rules are more lax than this company.  They give you a 12-hour window but then say you cannot leave your computer for more than 30 minutes 3 times a day.  Then even go on to explain you can't go to a party, grocery shopping, go to the gym, school event, social gathering, bake ...

It's Just Amazing That A Company Filled With
Jul 28, 2013

people can be so stupid, or oblivious, to the fact that they have an over-abundance of MTs during the week that run out of work on a constant basis but, on the weekends, work is over-flowing to the tune of "help help help". Can they not figure out that if they would cough up just a few more cents a line for someone to cover weekend shifts, and offer it IN HOUSE first, that this all could be eliminated?  Of course, I don't know why it amazes me.  These people never were in the tra ...

Amazing Difference In 2 Companies
Mar 11, 2015

It is amazing how I can work for 2 companies and one of them treats me like crap and makes me feel like I do not know to type even though I am in my 23rd year of doing this.  The other company just sent me my last audit for 6 times the amount of lines audited by Nuance and they found 4 minor errors, bunches of good job no error and 1 major error.  I am not as stupid as Nuance thinks I am and also the account I type on for my other job is mainly ESL and is quite frustrating but I do wel ...

Simply Amazing, We Are To Depend On Email
Oct 02, 2013

that little spinny thing has been spinning for half hour..Closed it out and tried again and the spinny thing keeps on spinning..You would think they could do better..And Windows Live Mail sends a message server refused to connect.. ...

Camus System? (computer System)
Dec 26, 2013

I cannot find documentation on this.  The context appears to be the imaging and labs and the doctors have been dictating the system is down.  Thank you for any help! ...

HUGE Laughs......SM
Jan 29, 2013

I'm in an HIT program after doing transcription for about 5 years and deciding that I'm tired of being a wandering sheep, and I just read the first chapter in one of my textbooks, which says that "speech recognition software is 95% to 99% accurate."  I'll be pointing out in my class that that is a grievous error. ...

A Huge Eye Opener
Dec 08, 2013

I had a HUGE eye opener yesterday.  We are not the only ones who are being replaced by software, it is happening in every single industry - I read a big article yesterday announcing this "really cool" (the article's opinion, not mine) new way to place an order at Chili's - on an iPad type tablet that is brought to your table when you are seated - point and click.  Then your order goes directly to the kitchen electronically and your dinner is brought to you by a staff member w ...

Ok Question............My CCM Says Huge Over Time Sm
Dec 17, 2011

as we all know it is going to be totally different on 12/26..............why?  Does anyone know what is happening the 26th?  End of pay period is the 24th, 25th starts a new one so what significance does the 26th hold?  ...

That MLK Holiday Is A HUGE One... To Not Have Work
Jan 24, 2013

I guess I should plan for a week off for Valentines Day, hey? ...

Ipswitch Is A HUGE JOKE
Apr 24, 2013

I can't get to anything but the first page of my inbox.  Oops, now can't even get that. Maybe I'll sit here and work on my Quality essay. ...

Huge Account Going To EPIC
Oct 16, 2013

So, we were just informed that a huge account is being rolled out to EPIC and "assured" there would be "minimal" volume loss.  Can somebody who has been through this please give us the true facts?  I'm inclined to not want to drink the Nuance Kool-Aid. Thanks in advance. ...

As Much As I Detest The Huge Unforgiving
Jan 29, 2015

worked for, I must admit that their unrelenting and harsh criticism of my work and their 99.7% plus demand for perfection has made me a better transcriptionist. I now work for a company where I acheive 100% on nearly all audits and had the same experience at another company before this one. I just knew I was better than N or M had me made out to be. ...

Huge Numbers Of MTs Have Recently Hit Retirement Age
May 18, 2010

I've heard for maybe 10 years now that right now, 2010, is when vast numbers of MTs were supposed to hit retirement age and quit work. What is retirement age? I don't want to retire, but when does a person really need to retire even if they don't want to? ...

MTSO Lost Huge Account
Jul 17, 2010

Small to medium-sized company lost a very large long-term client.  Naturally, the MTs are to blame.  Reason given was the work was out of turn around on weekends and MTs did not meet their commitments.  I can't say what percentage of MTs did not meet their commitments.  I do know that I always have.  I also know that I have kept an accurate log of the work on this very large account and 75 to 90% of the time the work runs out on Sunday, with no work available on Mon ...

Medquist Awarded A Huge Contract.
Aug 26, 2010

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-awarded-contract-with-child-health-corporation-of-america-101383704.html   It does say hospital is outsourcing, so does that mean India? In the latest example of its support for providers nationwide, MedQuist recently signed an agreement with Child Health Corporation of America (CHCA) for clinical documentation and computer-assisted coding technology and outsourced medical transcription and coding services.  MedQuist will implemen ...

Oracle. End Of My Rope. Huge New Account, 70 MTs?
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone else one of the new hires?  Are you on the new huge account?  I've been twiddling my thumbs now.  Guess I need to apply elsewhere.  I had been told before it was a good company, but I need to be actually typing. That really is a lot of MTs to hire and then not have the new account begin.  I read, below, someone said it keeps being delayed. ...

Can We Get Some Experienced Opinions On OTI's Huge Account?
Feb 08, 2011

Would really appreciate input from anyone who works on this account. ...

Nuance Just Lost Huge Account
Sep 04, 2012

Just got email that stated that one of Nuance largest accounts has left them for another "vendor"  They will be slowly removing them from pool and putting everybody elsewhere so they say ...