A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have made an excellent decision for my own sanity...sm - LoveMT

Posted: Jul 27, 2013

I have thought about it, did some financial figuring for paying my bills, and researched different schools in my area that offer practcal nursing classes WITH the option to advance to R.N. once working and.... I AM QUITTING within the next 6-7 months.  I HATE HATE HATE NUANCE and everything it stands for, and I am tired of being kicked around and stolen from.

There have been SO many MLS quit from just my team, and I can promise you I am going to be the next one to go AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.  If I find I can do it earlier than the next 6 months, then I'm going to do it sooner.  And you know what, I personally don't care if it "burns bridges" or whatever, I am not going to give Nuance the benefit of a 2-week notice.  I'm so sick of working my fingers to the bone, fretting about how I'm going to make it to the next paycheck, worrying about how I'm going to buy groceries when there's no work in my account during my schedule, and I'm REALLY sick of seeing the disappointment in my daughters' eyes when I have to skip something important to them because I'm "making up" lines and working outside my schedule because there wasn't any work WHEN I WAS SCHEDULED TO WORK!

I'M SICK AND TIRED OF BABYSITTING A COMPUTER AND NOT GETTING PAID FOR IT!  And all of this, just so I can pay bills while Mr. CEO is out enjoying life without a worry in the world because he has 37 million in the bank.  I hope that all of you who are suffering in this craphole of a job can find something else that will give you at least some satisfaction and appreciation for the hard work that you can provide.  Nuance is DEFINITELY not the employer that will EVER have that quality.

Gotta go ladies!  Once again, I'm working outside my schedule to "make up" for OOW situations during the week.  Every dog has his day, and Nuance will have theirs, and I hope they swirl around the rim and flush down just as quickly when it happens!

You go girl or guy - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I plan to do the same when I figure out what I want to do when I grow up. (Keep in mind I am in my 50s). I have been dong this line of work for 15-16 years used to love it, not so much anymore!!!

Sister, I'm not much younger than you...sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm 46, and I too have been doing this for 16 years. I still very much love the medical field, but NOT what the transcription industry has turned into, especially with Nuance at the controls!

I have never despised a job so much in my entire life, EVER! In the back of my mind, I keep myeslf going by thinking up ways I could teach the 37 million dollar CEO of this company a lesson... Like if I win the lottery, I could buy his company and then hire him, send him to India, and make him work 10 hours a day for 2 cents a line, and of course I'd have to "grade" his work for months until he becomes "proficient" in his profession, and he would NEVER get any kind of raise or bonus... That's just one scenario I've managed to cook up in all those spare minutes I have here lately while staring at a screen that's OOW.

I have a nurse friend who went actually finished up her nursing degree well into her 60s, and she has been a nurse now for more than 10 years and is STILL working full time! If she can do it, then so can I! I will NEVER EVER allow myself to become trapped in a position such as Nuance has put me in. Never ever again.

I played fair. I gave it a chance after Transcend was bought out by Nuance. At first, I was just okay with it, not unhappy, but not ecstatic either. NOW, however, I can't run away fast enough. Too many changes, and WAY too many things being taken away instead of being given to help us...

Someday the man who runs Nuance and has his hand in making all of these ridiculous sweatshop policies and salaries will have to meet his maker. I hope he isn't disappointed when he finds that there are some things that money can't buy!

Ask yourself this - Not Nuance

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you want to work as a nurse when you are 70? To me that sounds like a different kind of trap. Just because your friend does it does not mean that you have to do it too. You won't be making 37 million regardless of what you do; I don't understand what the CEOs salary has to do with any of this. I work for doctors but don't expect to be paid the same as them. My manager makes more money than I do and so do the administrators. That has nothing to do with me because we do different things. I couldn't do their job but I would never expect them to do mine to "teach them a lesson," I don't understand the logic.
At least nurses get paid for their work. And health - insurance. And vacations. And at least - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
when a nurse tells someone that's what her job is, that person knows what it is. The MT profession has been swept so far under the rug, very few people even know what it is. Heck - there are probably even nurses who don't know what medical transcription is. No wonder this was a profession that was so easy for these scumbags to exploit.
Exactly!! ....sm - LoveMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The moniker "Not Nuance" is why he/she "doesn't understand the logic". He/she obviously doesn't work for Nuance, probably doesn't even work under the awful conditions many of us at Nuance are working under. Hasn't got a clue as to why I used the CEO and his 37 million dollars as an example or why I'd like to "teach him a lesson". Really, I'd just like him to wake up one day and not have ANY money and I'd really like him to be an MT and work for Nuance (or any other MTSO with the same "policies" for MTs employed with them).

Right now, I could care less if someone thinks that Nuance is the best place in the world to work. Right now, I only care about how I'm going to better myself and get away from the nightmare that medical transcription has become. I thoroughly LOVED transcription from the day I started school. I had a true honest hunger for more and more knowledge in this field, but now it's nothing more than a nightmare and it's not just the pay that makes it a nightmare for me.
Not Nuance....sm - LoveMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what part of my post said that I wanted to make 37 million dollars or that I "expected" to be paid the same salary as my manager or my doctor. Either you misunderstood my venting post or you simply don't understand because you don't work for Nuance. I DO expect to be paid what I'm worth, and I'm definitely worth much more than $7/hr.

I really don't care what my TSM makes nor do I "expect" to be paid on the same level as her. I don't "expect" to be paid a salary comparable to what my doctor makes either. What I "expect" is to be treated with respect, paid a wage that reflects my skill, education, and experience in THIS field.

My expectations aren't that difficult to understand. You don't understand what the CEO and his 37 million has to do with it? It has EVERYTHING to do with it (for me) because instead of my wage reflecting my skill, experience, and education, I am now making less than what I was making BEFORE I even trained to become a transcriptionist and my "employer" has the financial means to improve the working conditions for me and my fellow co-workers without even blinking an eye...yet, he continues to make ridiculous policies, cut our per line rates, send our work overseas leaving us with little or no work, demand that we work outside of our "regularly scheduled" hours but only when things are OTAT, demand that we work ONLY during our "regularly scheduled" hours, demand that we babysit our computers and check every 15 minutes when there's no work but refuses to pay for the time we spend babysitting the computer for work, and there are many, many other things that I could list... But you would never understand why I feel the way I do because you are "NOT Nuance"....
Wow. You don't see why we all feel some resentment sm - Wait, whut?
[ In Reply To ..]
at seeing our jobs go from $25 an hour to half that in just about 3 years, while the CEO makes tens of millions? You really don't see the inherent unfairness in that? Well, it doesn't matter I guess. Because people will do what they have always done. They will evolve. Some like me are already halfway out of MT and I take my 20 years experience with me. Eventually, there will be a dearth of people who have the intelligence to accurately learn and do MT, and who are willing to work for minimum wage. I'd like to see that happen before EHR takes over so that all the CEOs and the awful greedy bastards take a financial hit, just like we have. Fair is fair. People will only take abuse for a while. Then, in all cases, its fight or flight.
it's about reason and fairness - LG
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not a matter of trying to do someone else's job - it's a matter of being paid fairly for what you do and being respected for what you do. In no other industry would the way MT's are treated by these companies be tolerated. I am getting out of MT as soon as possible as well - I am in court reporting school!

This is exactly what I did about a year ago. I've been - taking prerequisites sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and now I'm down to my last 2 semesters and in May I can apply to a nursing program. I'll end up with an A.S. in nursing and an R.N. It meshes brilliantly with MT because I don't really want to work in a hospital, that level of critically ill patients. I want to work in a clinic/office, M-F, 8-5. In my area, the hospitals hire nurses with a 4-year degree and clinics/docs are hiring the 2-year degrees in an office scribe/medical assistant type of role.

I am in your exact situation still but now I don't care. During those hours of no work, I have a textbook open and I study. I barely make enough to survive but at least I believe I'm moving in the right direction which is far, far away from MT. I literally cannot wait to work by the hour again.

Similar Messages:

I Am Ecstatic. Made The Decision Today I'm Out Of Here Tomorrow.
Aug 27, 2013

just plain tired of being treated like crap and expected to work for pennies.  Good riddance Nuance.   Just like you gave me no notice in cutting my pay, you get no notice from me.   I've spoken with several other of my team mates and they will be following.  More work for the Indians.  Soon their cup should be running over.    ...

The Time Has Come For Sanity -
Mar 05, 2013

People, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION! Healthcare documentation in the US has become UTTERLY CHAOTIC.  1.  We have elected in the US to become the "medical brain-drain" of the world.  By this, I mean that people who SHOULD BE DELIVERING HEALTHCARE TO THEIR OWN COUNTRIES are, instead, electing to MAKE MONEY IN THE U.S. 2.  MANY OF THESE PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE ENGLISH SKILLS TO CREATE ACCURATE MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION FOR PATIENTS. 3.  The time has come to reveal the critical issu ...

Multitasking.... To Save One's Sanity
Mar 10, 2012

"I was able to do 20 outstretched arm circles while waiting for my slower-than-molasses-in-Januay demographic field to load!"  That's what one lucky MT had to say after reading and implementing, Easy Tips from a Deranged Medical Transcriptionist. Yes, you can mix your work and exercise and other household chores whilst keeping your sanity at the same time with these nifty suggestions.  Who wouldn't want to keep her houseshold running smoothly whilst waiting f ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

Requirement: Excellent Eye, Hand And Auditory
Feb 06, 2013

When I SEE ads that pay 7 cents a line for IC, I want to put my HANDS over my AUDITORY canals and SCREAM BLOODY HIGHWAY ROBBERY. Take your list of requirements and stuff 'em. ...

Excellent Resource For Taking Tests For MTSOs
Aug 18, 2014

I took a test for an MTSO last week that required extensive knowledge of prefixes, roots, and suffixes.  I found an online resource that resulted in my getting 100% on all 4 sections of the test.  I have to admit that I knew probably 75% of them, but this resource helped me pass all of the tests.  http://www.globalrph.com/medterm7.htm However, I haven't heard anything from the company other than "Congratulations!  You passed all 4 tests 100%!"  No actual transcrib ...

Excellent Article About The Deterioration Of Notes For Patient Care
Sep 19, 2014

I have always hated it when the doctor crams in every disease the patient has in the first line whether or not the list is relevant to the chief complaint.  I can't think of anything more pointless than having a PA or resident dictate discharges when all he or she does is lift the consultants' impressions and plans and then plug in his or her standard "vital signs remained stable and the patient was discharged in stable condition."  They just chant thru it, as fast as possib ...

An Excellent Spinal Anesthetic Was Induced And Mantained Without Complication Or (s/l Emit)
May 09, 2011

An excellent spinal anesthetic was induced and mantained without complication or (s/l emit).  Also under the heading ANESTHESIA doctor dictates "Final" what does this mean? Thanks for help! ...

Excellent Blog Post On MT Wages (and Transcend Class-action Suit)
May 21, 2012

http://mtanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/05/transcriptionists-file-class-action.html   ...

Bad Decision....now What????
Nov 23, 2010

I made a poor decision in not researching medical transcription schools fully before starting and went through At-Home Professions, not very smart. I have now completed the course and have come to the conclusion that I am not as prepared as I thought I was to enter this field. I enjoyed what I did learn but am becoming very discouraged with the fact that I wasn't prepared to enter the job market. My dilema is I don't have the funds to take courses some where else as I already wasted mo ...

Decision Day
Dec 16, 2010

Well, the day has come where I need to decide whether or not to let MQ go.  I took a second MT job in September because I no longer want to work evenings (all that is available to me with the Q) and I can't keep up with both of them.  Problem is, I make more with MQ, believe it or not, although with time I am sure I will catch up in the other one. I think I am worried about putting all my eggs in one basket . . . . ...

Big Decision
Feb 10, 2015

How does flex work with Nuance?  If I know I need to type at least 1500 a day but I only get 1000, do they let you work over so I could possibly get 500 lines for that day?  They told us they had plenty of work but not quite so sure about that.   ...

Please Help Me Make A Decision
Mar 04, 2011

Landmark or Archivus?  (I already know what the archives say.   Am seeking information on what is going on with these companies currently.)  Which would you choose, and why?  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. ...

I Can't Make A Decision
Apr 25, 2014

I know I want an RHIA eventually. But I don't know if I want to go straight for an RHIA or get a RHIT then an RHIA. With the RHIT, I'd be able to look for work in two years (or maybe less that that since I have some college credits). It may be as an ROI or medical records, but it would still be a job where I'd be making money, gaining experience, making connections, and getting my foot in the door at a hospital/clinic/doctor's office, etc. I just don't know what do do. ...

Business Decision
Jun 26, 2015

Okay, please don't yell, I know this has been brought up before, but I can't think of how to word it to find in the archives.  Scenario: You want to do it right, resign with 2 weeks' notice, leave all doors open, etc., but you have been offered a position that you need to accept immediately or lose the chance.  Some people think, just grab the new opportunity, it's just business, you know your current company can terminate you at will in one second, so don't th ...

To Webmedx Decision Makers
May 31, 2011

I don't have an MBA from Harvard, but it is just common sense to me that you don't continually punish employees with lower pay when they are the ones who are generating the money that pays your salary!  Plus, our work is PRODUCTION oriented.  A happy production employee is a high producer!  Doesn't that make sense to anybody but me?  What is the matter with you people?  My motivation is gone.  I have complete apathy towards my job ...

Medical Decision Making
Jan 16, 2012

Subheading: MEDICAL DECISION MAKING OR MEDICAL DECISION-MAKING. Please help! ...

Had To Make A Decision Today (sm)
Apr 18, 2012

Had to decide today between Nuance and Accentus.  After reading through recent and older archived posts on this thread, I took a leap of faith, followed my intuition, and went with Accentus. Now I am sitting here crossing my fingers that following my intuition was the way to go.  Something about the recent posts about the ambiguity of the incentive plan coupled with that 99% QA score really skeeved me out.  It's ironic, because every place where I've worked, QA was 98 ...

When I Have Doubts About My Decision To Leave,
Apr 28, 2015

I just come to this site and all doubts fade away.  As long as you continue to work for this company you will be miserable.  Moaning and complaining never fixed anything.  They don't appreciate you and never will.  They don't care about their clients, just the bottom line.  You are a number making money for them.  You can make the change, it just takes courage.  Good Luck.  I am wishing better things for all of you.  (Start by sending letter ...

Decision To Go Back To School For Nursing?
Mar 02, 2010

Has anyone made the decision to go back to school for nursing?  I am 45 years old and am seriously considering going to school this fall.  I would be starting from scratch as I have no college education.  I am debating on whether to pursue an associates (RN) or bachelors degree (BSN).  I am wondering if anyone else near my age is doing this and how are they faring.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  ...

This Newest Decrease In Pay Reinforces My Decision
Mar 02, 2010

to quit.  I gave my notice last week.  CCM called and talked me into staying.  I said I would try it out a couple of more weeks.  The next day I got 2 ASR reports, one a 9 minute report with over 200 corrections and a 4 minute report with 56 corrections.  I was so ticked off that I just logged off on Friday and haven't logged back in since.  I haven't checked my e-mail, so I don't know if I have been fired yet.  This newest screwing makes me ...

New Client Heavy Workload Decision To Make
Mar 18, 2011

I am an IC and have a prospective cliient who might have more work than I can handle on my own. I was really just looking for part-time job and this opportunity basically fell in my lap!   I am not sure whether to just take the job and hire other ICs to help with my overflow or just tell them I am only looking for part-time work and risk losing eveyrthing. It seems too wacky to me to to turn down an opportunity because it might be too many hours for me alone when I can outsource some of the ...

Webmedx,Subsidiary Of Nuance Compensation Decision.
Dec 04, 2011

I have read a few posts not only about the future compensation worries at Nuance for us "Webbers" but also mentioning the former CEO for Webmedx. I have worked for this man even before my Webmedx days. To me, he always seemed to have taken pride in his position as he talked about why he felt Webmedx was so successful due to low employee turn around and an open door policy in communication with same. Training was superb, the community page which enhanced employee recognition-data made many of us ...

Breitner Job Offer -- Excited And Hope This Is Good Decision.
May 15, 2012

I just got a job offer after completing their test process.  This were very hard reports to transcribe, but they said I passed.  Really kind of surprised, cuz I am not up on Genetics and lab tests for that specialty.  Also the cardiac cath report was ESL who was hard to understand.   Well anyway just glad I passed.  I have looked through archives on this company and they mostly have positive messages.  They say plenty of work, nice company to work for, pay on ...

You've Offically Pushed Me Into The Decision To Go Back To School, Nuance.
Dec 14, 2012

The latest pay cut was my final straw.  I'm starting my first classes in February for a new career in a field that has nothing to do with healthcare and working every single weekend and holiday for the rest of my life while watching my pay go down instead of up with the more experience I gain.  Thank you for destrying what I considered a career and turning into something I loathe getting out of bed and having to do. ...

University Of New Mexico Hospital Stands By Their Decision To Outsource
Jun 14, 2013

In followup to this post  http://forum.mtstars.com/474958.html This KRQE news story  http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/business/unm-hospital-stands-by-its-outsourcing-decision UNM Hospital needs to think about the the income tax dollars not going to the federal govt with these MTs losing their jobs (or if these MTs go with Nuance - the REDUCED income tax dollars) that their decision has caused. Also the reduced sales tax revenue. And loss of medical insurance.  It has been said tha ...

I Can See Now How Some MTs Have It Made. Sm
Apr 10, 2010

Well, I don't know if the pool our area was sent because of NJA is affecting that regions MTs, but I for one want to say thank you God for sending me some absolutely marvelous, clear and concise easy dictation!!!! Yes Virginia, there is an Easter bunny... (oh, I believe that is Santa Claus). Now I can see why some MTs on here never complain. All MT work, no ASR so far. I am in heaven. Too bad it won't last long, even though my regular primary was not that bad, I just never re ...

Someone Made
Oct 13, 2012

comment about only unions being able to organize a strike.  That just leaves everybody else powerless and without resource?  No. Leave, call in sick, take all day to do one report, send jobs through without editing, walk off, stop work.  Plan ahead for you next job, and that's a smart thing to do, obviously.  In the meantime, walk off anyways. Massive oppression requires massive action. Being ignored requires we do something loud to be heard. They have already hit us ...

To: I Made It Out.
Dec 12, 2014

Talk about kismet. I just happened to pop in for a minute and saw your post. I copied it and emailed it to myself. I then took your advice and did a search in my city. I have about 8 great-sounding possibilities to explore this weekend. Thank you so much. ...

ASR Lets Get Some Changes Made!
Mar 12, 2010

I just really want to encourage all of you to make note of things ASR is doing wrong and sending the info in either to support@ or to your CCM.  I have been sending things in and actually getting some changes made here and there.  If we all did it maybe we could help ourselves out at least a little bit. I'm talking about things like you have been correcting text forever and ASR still is not getting it, like on docs who say the same exact same thing every time and it still comes o ...