A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Someone made - a ridiculous

Posted: Oct 13, 2012

comment about only unions being able to organize a strike.  That just leaves everybody else powerless and without resource?  No.

Leave, call in sick, take all day to do one report, send jobs through without editing, walk off, stop work.  Plan ahead for you next job, and that's a smart thing to do, obviously.  In the meantime, walk off anyways.

Massive oppression requires massive action.

Being ignored requires we do something loud to be heard.

They have already hit us where it hurts the most, our wallets.  Let's hurt theirs.

no thanks. NM - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
`

I totally agree with your attitude and frustration. - But to be effective, we need

[ In Reply To ..]
to be organized on a large enough scale so that taking the steps you outline have an impact. By ourselves, these actions will have no impact, and we can't depend on everyone else to just say they will. It needs to be through an organized forum where we can be assured of mass participation. If there is another way to accomplish that kind of nation-wide organization other than unionizing, I'm all for it. Whatever will accomplish the necessary organization to ensure collective participation. Then, by all means, flat out refuse to show up or do the work or whatever the remedy is that has been collectively agreed upon.

This is definitely not the best forum - because of who owns

[ In Reply To ..]
it and the mgt who routinely hang out here. A walk out does not need to be unionized. I am not sure a union would help us. Recently MT's at a unionized hospital still had their cpl slashed.

I have tried other means to get people interested, and there is such a lockdown. Everyone is so afraid of losing their jobs, and not to beat a dead horse, when they have already lost their jobs but still show up...

I agree, it is a tough nut to crack, but so was - that of Gandhi and others.

[ In Reply To ..]
Not presuming to compare the plight of MT with that of Gandhi, only the principle of continuing to battle for what is fair despite the opposers and naysayers.

The MTs in the hospital you mention almost certainly did not have the support of most of the rest of the hospital employees and probably none at all outside of themselves, and even if they did, all the hospital would have had to do was outsource the transcription until they could replace the rebelious MTs with new personnel. They were virtually powerless as are the rest of us at this point. However, the hospital would not have had that option available to it if all MTs in house and out were committed to standing together in support of one another.

As far as the effectiveness of this forum is concerned, I personally just view it as a place to try and stir the pot so to speak so as to generate in those who have not already given up more of a desire to do something. If an avenue for taking action actually comes to fruition, it would need to be handled more privately, especially at first, in order to lay some ground work for moving forward. If we ever get there, that is.
Oh we will - get
[ In Reply To ..]
there, which is what scares the **** out of some people on this forum.
MTSOs aren't scared. What's scary is... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
how MTSOs are forcing us out, and as a result, forcing clients to accept the poor quality produced by the Indian MTs and VR because there won't be enough qualified American MTs left.

MTSOs are laughing at us every time they go to the bank.
And exactly why - as one poster put it
[ In Reply To ..]
"Warrior" princess/prince MTs are taking action.

They wont start crying on the way to the bank instead of laughing on the way there until they get the message in such a way as to be painful to their wallets as a 2nd poster put it.

Succinctly said - very good

[ In Reply To ..]

MT CO-OP - Annie

[ In Reply To ..]
This would have to be very carefully planned and organized on a separate forum. At this point, I'm in if there are enough people to make a difference.

I like the idea of an MT Co-op, an organization run by MTs for MTs. No middle person. We would need some experienced leaders and tech savvy people familiar with the various platforms and compatibility with free platforms for MT use. I visualize this being a database listing available MTs, their experience, availability, pay requirements and contact info. I can see a group run by MTs could streamline operations to make a profit with simple changes such as turning down the bad dictators who would result in no profits or charge them up to twice as much if they take twice as long. We would require FAIR compensation for both transcription and editing based on fair wage we made as ICs and hospital employees based on the time a job takes to do. At the same time, we would have to be competitive when it comes to turnaround time and that is one of the tricky areas. The fact that there are far more good experienced MTs than there are jobs would probably allow competitive TAT if we had enough members.

We have discussed this concept before and no one has stepped up to offer to lead such a group. Perhaps a board could be assembled to brainstorm an MT Co-op. I could see it starting out as just a referral service that could grow into something more.

I agree, this could be a viable alternative. - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
You also hit on what I have always felt was the key to most of the problems with MT, i.e., bad dictation. Bad dictators hurt TAT, drive the cost up for the client, kill the productivity for the MTSO and the MT and hence company profitability and the MTs ability to earn a living wage, and jeopardize patient healthcare. I have always thought that an approach to charging a premium to do that dictation would be a good idea, but how we charge for the service would have to be presented as a price break for the good dictators rather than as a penalty for the bad ones. I have some thoughts on TAT, too.

Perhaps we should talk. Shoot me an e-mail, and we can brainstorm a little. I have 23 years experience and have some ideas on how this could work, including how to fund tech support.

Absolutely. - Love this.

[ In Reply To ..]
I have lived in cohousing, belong to the food co-op for years. I have always wanted MTs to form cooperatives. My brain get so fried sometimes I can no longer think clearly. Thank you for writing this.

I am only surviving because I have been living off savings. I have reeducated myself in two areas, certificate, even a professional license, and started a couple of home businesses, but not much is happening, although yesterday someone called me all excited because he found my business card and he said he would call Monday to set up an appointment. He did have his schedule in front of him when he called.

I hate what is happening in MT, and even if I were to leave, I don't feel like leaving my peeps behind.

And just who would edit the reports to keep the clients? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Please let me know of a qualified MT who can send in reports directly to the client, as I have not been able to find one in over 7 years. I am talking basic terminology and punctuation-let alone following even 3 basic instructions (I am not kidding you. It has come down to that). Clients are a dime a dozen.... finding somebody to transcribe a quality document is the problem... This is the reason why the MTSOs are paying less (besides the client paying less). They have to cover the costs for QA to go behind them, which was never the case 10 years ago. We were expected to turn in client-ready work.

MT CO-OP - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
This is how it is in the real world. I live in one of the most expensive cities in the United States. I have my own clients and know most of them personally as well as speak with potential new clients and physicians who treat me. At tops for quality work (and I have a longstanding relationship and am anal about quality work right down to the very comma), they will only go to 10 cpl. Then, you have to pay for dictation systems, phone lines, etc. Since the average transcriptionist wants 8 cpl (and that is just for their rough drafts), and it costs more than 2 cpl for dictation systems and phone lines (not including all other business equipment, software, reference materials, etc.), just where do you see the profit? That transcriptionist you hired has to have her report edited completely 100% to voice.

Unfortunately, this seems to be thought up by transcriptionists probably working for nationals not knowing how it really is out there. I see a lot of posters (including those who have worked for me) stating "quality work" when I have received back reports with male instead of female/vice versua, incorrect medications and doses, incorrect patient data, etc., and even to my horror part of an orthopedic sample pasted into a breast cancer/mastectomy report (and watched her take 5 hours on it, using the phone lines). I have even had to hire other service owners, paying them more than the actual client pays me, so you can see the problem here. The list goes on to include dictation that does not even come close to what was dictated. Clients pay a LOT LESS THAN YOU THINK. Oh, and for this CO OP, who is going to obtain the clients and absorb that cost?

It would really be nice, this CO OP, but in reality, it is not possible.

The answer to the low pay is more education and implementing this as well as a solid foundation to begin with. It is really sad to see work turned in without even 3rd grade grammar used and other mistakes. The money paid out to QA should be paid to us transcriptionists who can turn in client-ready work, as it used to be in the past.

Reality check - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Regardless of what you imply, most people still do transcription in order to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. Your employer will find a way to get the work done without you and not even bat an eye. Not only is their foreign competition for MT jobs, but domestic MTs are lined up waiting to take your job. A lesson I learned in the working world a long time ago is that no one is dispensible. Taking all day to do one job only hurts you, unless you don't need to get paid. Sending jobs through without editing will probably only hurt you as well as you'll be placed on 100% QA and may get you fired, but it sounds as if that is what you want anyway. Follow your own advice and plan ahead for your next job or just quit, it is obvious that you are miserable. In the future, you may want to ask your fellow MTs if they want to strike before assuming that everyone shares your point of view and telling them what they should do.

It doesn't take a massive effort - it's called YouTube - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
Time and again, *one person* with *one video* has garnered tons of attention. Where is that one MT? Are you that one MT? You don't even have to produce a quality video - just something that catches people's attention, and you go viral. Think about it. It could be a video with FIVE MTs in it - talking about their experiences in a powerful way - could be sad, could be hilarious, could be intellectual, could be angry - or all of the above.

Five MTs - that could even be the name of the video. Think about it. We've got five MTs don't we? Wanna go on camera? Or hide your face, like you're testifying against organized crime. Cause in a way, you are, aren't you?

So when are we going to see this video you are gonna make? - Cause it is such a good idea, hop on it. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

personally, I love the idea - and think someone should do it

[ In Reply To ..]
Excellent idea. Better than NO IDEA.
SOMEbody is always going to put down an idea, whether it is good or bad - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
doesn't matter. too bad too, because somebody always thinks they know everything about everything, and any idea put out there is just "doomed to failure."
Just use your camera and make your own video - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
my old camera lets you record video. An iPhone, same thing. Probably lots of us have the technology right at home to make our own videos. I've made videos. It's super easy. All we need to do is put 5-6 videos of separate MT's videos together, edit them, not hard, add title page and maybe some music where appropriate (sure why not) to have a short piece ready for YouTube. Super easy. We can intersperse VSR bloopers with the more serious stuff. Maybe we'd get on the David Lettermen show, or Ellen Degeneres - call us the MT Five. Sort of like when they had the women's gymnastics team on all at once, on a talk show, it could be 5 or 7 or 12 of us long-suffering screwed-over MTs - can't you just see Jay Leno doing the ASR bloopers on his show?

C'mon people, let's make it happen!
We could videotape ourselves and piece it - together before loading it on YouTube
[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is a very good idea. I would be willing to share and videotape my story. Do you read your email? The one you set up for this forum? Need to get in touch. I can videotape my old paychecks. I saved them. They just have some teardrops on them.
Yes, I read my emails from MTStars - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
get in touch!

what makes you think I haven't already made videos? - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
don't assume anything :)
Then put your money where your mouth is. - Post those videos nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I have - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
?? - actually, I think it should be, "put your lack of money where your mouth is" - 'cause that's the MT situation right there.

I didn't read this as sarcastic. It is a - good idea. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

SO GO DO IT ALREADY. wmj, seems you don't need help - from us. just go

[ In Reply To ..]
beat that dead horse on U-tube.

I already have - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I have already done it. Would be great if 5 or so other MTs did too, so we could have a whole film, maybe 10 minutes long. Everybody would just have to contribute 2 minutes of video (well, make it 4, so we can edit it down to the best parts).

Everyone needs help - no MT is an island (although the MTSOs would have us believe it).

I'm not out to prove anything. good luck to you. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
`
So if I wanted to watch your video - just another MT
[ In Reply To ..]
how would I find it?

I searched on you tube for: wheres my job, unhappy (also disgruntled under another search) medical transcriptionists, and medical transcription. Nothing came up that I would consider relevant to what you have said you've done.
unhappy? disgruntled? not my style... - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious...why do you want to watch my video? Or our videos, if I end up collaborating with a few other MTs...?
You repeatedly say you've posted a vid & then you're - shocked people want to watch it?
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe you've made the video for one second.

This is a really junior-high thing to do... "I did ___. No really! I did!! What? You want proof? Why?? You don't believe me?? I did it!! I don't have to prove it to you! I did it - if you don't believe me, go suck an egg."

Thanks, but I'll just talk to my teenage daughter if I want that kind of drama.
Funny...I have made two videos - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
I said I was "curious," not "shocked"...if I believed someone was merely "disgruntled" or "unhappy," I wouldn't bother looking for a video they had made...so I just wondered why, if someone felt that way, they'd bother to go looking for it.

So are you going to post a link to this purported - video or ,,,,? /nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

"send jobs through without editing" - please see message

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter how you feel about your job, sending a job through without editing could compromise patient care. Not cool.

If you want to call in sick, walk, off or stop work - that's completely up to you. Go for it. But to knowingly send a job through that has not been typed or edited accuratey crosses the line.

Question for the OP. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you a working MT, retired, in another line of work, or ? Just curious how you could afford to take a day off work. What in the world would 5 or 10 MTs accomplish by walking off their jobs? That is not even a spit in the bucket. This link says there were 105,000 MTs in the USA in 2008. Probably a lot less now I would guess. Nobody understands or cares about MTs, but MTs. You all would be better off trying to hook up with a union, but you will need a lot of MTs to join up. This forum has, what, 200 viewers at a time? That is not going to do it. Just my opinion. I'm semi-retiring early (because I need the extra money). Sure cannot afford to lose even one day's pay. Don't forget if you walk off, you have to actually tell your employer why, otherwise what exactly is the point? It seems like an exercise in futility. I take my job seriously, even though the pay is crummy these days. I would never make an error on purpose or send through a report without editing it....NEVER! I take pride in my work.

You don't make sense.

http://future-jobs.findthedata.org/q/418/1939/How-many-Medical-Transcriptionists-are-there-working-in-the-United-States

Here's the difference - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Members of a union can go on strike and be protected, as in they can come back to their jobs once the strike is over.

If non-union persons go on strike, there is no such protection for those people.

So strike if you must, but realize there will be no protection for you and you may very well be out of a job.

Similar Messages:

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

I Can See Now How Some MTs Have It Made. Sm
Apr 10, 2010

Well, I don't know if the pool our area was sent because of NJA is affecting that regions MTs, but I for one want to say thank you God for sending me some absolutely marvelous, clear and concise easy dictation!!!! Yes Virginia, there is an Easter bunny... (oh, I believe that is Santa Claus). Now I can see why some MTs on here never complain. All MT work, no ASR so far. I am in heaven. Too bad it won't last long, even though my regular primary was not that bad, I just never re ...

To: I Made It Out.
Dec 12, 2014

Talk about kismet. I just happened to pop in for a minute and saw your post. I copied it and emailed it to myself. I then took your advice and did a search in my city. I have about 8 great-sounding possibilities to explore this weekend. Thank you so much. ...

ASR Lets Get Some Changes Made!
Mar 12, 2010

I just really want to encourage all of you to make note of things ASR is doing wrong and sending the info in either to support@ or to your CCM.  I have been sending things in and actually getting some changes made here and there.  If we all did it maybe we could help ourselves out at least a little bit. I'm talking about things like you have been correcting text forever and ASR still is not getting it, like on docs who say the same exact same thing every time and it still comes o ...

I Made A Mistake
May 18, 2010

I just got called by "the boss" about a mistake I made yesterday.  I feel horrible.  I am glad they called.  It was a good heads up for me.  They down played it but still I am feeling upset.  I know it will pass but it's made for a tough morning.  Kinda shakes my confidence.  Thanks for listening. ...

No $ To Be Made As An MT Anymore
Sep 03, 2010

Just thinking out load, so please bear with me.  I took the summer off to evaluate how I feel about restarting back to work into the MT field.  I have many bitter-sweet feelings.  Over 24 years ago I started in the MT industry and have done this working out of my home.  I have raised my kids basically alone working a job that I absolutely thrived and loved doing.  Now, it doesn't even pay us minimum wage for our Years of knowlege and skill sets we ha ...

Is This A Made-up Word?
Sep 22, 2010

I'm doing a hot nodes dissection, and the doc is using a word that sounds like MODERIFY.  Here's the sentence: Dr. Patterson performed specimen ____| QA MARKER: 358 |____ count, and this demonstrated the biopsy clip in the mass to be squarely centered within the biopsy specimen.   "The radiologist performed specimen _______ count, and this demonstrated the biopsy clip in the mass to be squarely centered within the biopsy specimen."   By the way, he has a delightful ...

Apparently I Am 100% ASR Now. I Made
Dec 07, 2010

$30 less today than when it has been mixed straight and ASR typing and it has been the longest day of my life.  I have eaten more, got up more.  I cannot sit still.  If this is supposed to be "easier" on us than typing, they are full of hooey.  ...

If You Don't Mind Me Asking What Is The Most And Least That You've Made?
Jan 12, 2011

I've worked at a hospital doing transcription and getting an hourly wage, and I've also done transcription at home.  At-home was not a good experience for me.  I about went bankrupt, but the good thing is that I have more experience now.  I'm trying to decide whether to go back to a hospital and get an hourly pay or work from home again...  Thanks for any input!  I appreciate it!  ...

New Word To Me Or Something Doc Made Up?
Feb 12, 2011

This may need further evaluation of the gastric outlet tract by endoscopic assisted s/l "contrast-a-tee". ...

Already Depressed And The Q Just Made My Day. NOT
Jul 11, 2011

I cannot take much more.  Those of you who don't have any compassion or feel the need to ever vent and just unload once in a while may stop reading now. I'm not writing to be bashed, stomped on, mashed, or otherwise abused and used more than the Q already does.  I catch this crap from them every day, I don't need to hear it from fellow MTs. We are all in this same rocking, sinking, Titanic together.  To make a very long story short here's the abbreviated vers ...

Best Made Up ASR Heading I Have Seen
May 05, 2013

Dictated problem list: Transcribed problem ...

Well, I Made About $25 Today
Aug 26, 2013

This is working for an MTSO who only hires full-time employees, but yet again NJA most of the day today. We do not have to punch a time clock, but is this really legal? This company may "route" you jobs at any time of day and they require you to be "available" from 7 AM to 5 PM, whether there is work or not. If the work is routed to you though, you best be there (available) to do the work or else you get the nasty grams from the owner. Again, IS THIS LEGAL? ...

What If We Made A Stand From Our Own
Dec 29, 2013

And made a pact to F-11 every report that had say 5 ASR errors? Ha ha I can dream can't I? Never get everyone on board, but that would drive home our point. ...

I Only Made A 92. I Am So Disappointed!!!
Mar 13, 2014

I guess.  Good luck everyone!! ...

Made Me Smile
Mar 16, 2014

I was looking at a website about home transcription. A stock photo showed a woman sitting at her laptop.  I guess to make the point she worked from home, two young girls was standing at her shoulder looking at her laptop screen.  It just made me laugh, thinking about all the assurances of our eyes only on medical information we have to make.   ...

I Made A Big Mistake
Nov 25, 2014

I'm trying to get my old job back. ...

I've Made Up My Mind.
Dec 04, 2014

Eight years ago, I started school for medical transcription. I had grand dreams of being able to have a well-paying career while still staying home with my kids. After all, based on my husband's pay we could not afford for me to stay at home without bringing in an income and preferred to not have to pay for daycare for our 2 (now 3) kids. Now here I am, with my head in my hands, making exactly the same as I did when I landed my first MT job. This is the only profession I know of where you ...

Changes Made To ASR Not Saving
Mar 01, 2015

Aside from erasing the ASR text and typing the entire report myself, how can I know that the system is saving my changes? I am absolutely certain that changes I made are not being saved, and thus showing up as errors on QA reports. Some of which I am absolutely 100% certain I corrected the text, but alas the corrections are not saving. So, once again, I am completely off the grid. Perhaps I should do a Control-J on enterprise to check the text? Should I do Control-S to save and then do contro ...

You Made Me Like This Nuance
Apr 11, 2015

When I am about to send a report and it has just one blank over the allowed, I will attempt a trick I call "close it in" where I will try and find two blanks close to each other, blank out everything in between (so long as it's less than one line) and turn those 2 blanks into 1 blank, thus preventing me from having to send to QC.  Now, I will only do this if I feel I am coming close to my more than 10% submission.  If I'm not, of course I won't do this.  But I am NO ...

Someone Below Made The Statement To End All Statements
Jan 20, 2010

Do you agree with this?  'A reality check for you would be to see your job for what it is. You are a typist, transcriptionist or what used to be known as a STENO POOL worker.' And:  'It's not that difficult a job to learn to do.' Or do you see yourself as a skilled professional called on to make life and death decisions of your own when typing medical records (ex:  Did the mumbling ESL dictator mean '4 mg' of nitroglycerin as dictated and spa ...

Question Regarding Changes Made To ADT Screen
Jun 16, 2010

Okay, so they accused me of changing the dictators name on the ADT screen to an incorrect name... which I might add once again, I did not do.  I document every change I make and the only thing I changed was the WT... to the correct WT I might add because it had  been entered incorrectly!  If, in fact, I had changed the dictator's name, however, would it not have shown up on the ADT portion of the report when I went back into DocQmanage and checked&nbs ...

I Finally Had To Do It: I Made A Shortcut Key For
Dec 29, 2010

the phrase, " it was not covered by insurance", which is dictated constantly. What a sad state of American healthcare.   I'm sure the doctors are just as sick of insurance non-coverage of medical treatments as the poor patients are! ...

Can An IC Be Made To Work A Schedule?
Apr 22, 2011

Not namimg names here, but I see an ad for an IC and they are asking for full coverage from Wed-Sun 3p-11p -- all this for 8500 lines per month.  Can they legally ask an IC to do that? ...

Glad KS Made Payroll - However...
Sep 02, 2011

Some KSMTs posted they got paid today, some got paid on the 1st. This tells me this was not an issue with late line counts or the payroll guru asking them to kindly roll payroll ahead a few days. Truth has to be they do not have the money available to make payroll and had to pick and choose who to pay based on the money available. Those who asked for hardship case or who they did not want to risk losing got paid. Those they thought could be strung along for 2 more days were not paid un ...

Got My Last Pay Stub. As Usual Made Less
Dec 31, 2011

Will have to look in my file, but I believe I haven't made this little since about 1988? ...

The Last Few Days I Had Actually Made More Money
Feb 15, 2012

The work was there.  It was familiar.  Fingers were flying.  Today, NJA.  Coincidence?  Maybe I am just paranoid.  ...

This Is Reply I Made To Someone On The Nuance
Nov 20, 2012

This was in answer to a question regarding why we continue to bang our heads against a wall working for these evil MTSOs:  When my little mid-sized MTSO was gobbled up by a larger one, lots of people who knew the score bailed immediately. I'd never been through a buyout before, and when they had their big conference call telling us "nothing would change" for us, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. The next meeting a few months later told us that, "well... there might ...

I Made 99% On My Audit. Will I Get Written Up?
Dec 02, 2012

Usually I get a higher score. but I have a feeling I will be hearing from my boss because I only made 99% this time. ...

I Made A StupidStupid Error
Apr 12, 2013

Thankfully it was caught before it went to the client. But I've had a few borderline audits lately so this might be all she wrote. I had nightmares all night about it. I'm sick about it ...